Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

My Linux Rig posted:

what sites are you guys going to

Any of the threads here with gifvs in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Penisface posted:

i think the next step is basically yo dawg we put a $DOCKER_BUT_WITH_JAVASCRIPT in your browser so now you can waste all the gains from hardware into yet another matryoshka layer of bullshit

I'm assuming you've seen The Birth and Death of Javascript?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

my work computer has an i7 and discrete gpu but also a spinning storage drive because they are "testing ssds to see if they are faster"

mystes
May 31, 2006

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

my work computer has an i7 and discrete gpu but also a spinning storage drive because they are "testing ssds to see if they are faster"
That's about as reasonable in 2018 as saying "we're holding off putting out hand sanitizer because we haven't finished testing germ theory."

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mystes posted:

That's about as reasonable in 2018 as saying "we're holding off putting out hand sanitizer because we haven't finished testing germ theory."

the irony here is that being skeptical of both is very reasonable because ssds are bad and hand sanitizer is largely woo

pram
Jun 10, 2001

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

lol

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i used web assembly to make an echo detector that was 2400 times faster than a webaudio analyser shaggar was right.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Stymie posted:

the irony here is that being skeptical of both is very reasonable because ssds are bad and hand sanitizer is largely woo

he works in an enterprise, isn't that a legitimate use of an SSD in your rubric?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

lol bullshit, they're putting off moving to SSD because they don't feel like paying the markup from whoever they're buying computers from

mystes
May 31, 2006

They actually bought an SSD for every employee but so far they haven't been able to throw them across the room as quickly as spinning disk drives so further testing is required.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
hand sanitizer is gross as hell, because people think it's an excuse to not wash their hands

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
In microbiology class we had a month of learning about how to count bacteria and it turns out if you rub your hands together real good it's like 99% as effective as hand sanitizer.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Jabor posted:

hand sanitizer is gross as hell, because people think it's an excuse to not wash their hands

this.

chipotle bathrooms have hand sanitizer next to the soap. guess what employees use more often?

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DuckConference posted:

he works in an enterprise, isn't that a legitimate use of an SSD in your rubric?

no because it's still sticking an ssd in a consumer-grade computer

if they're evaluating them for use in server deployments, then it's valid

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

not really, that was really interesting, thanks

i wonder what has come of that technology now though

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

took my computer 15 minutes to be usable after login. must be testing those ssds still

mystes
May 31, 2006

Penisface posted:

not really, that was really interesting, thanks

i wonder what has come of that technology now though
Asm.js has essentially been replaced by webassembly. It took a while but it's starting to be usable now. It's probably not going to kill javascript any time soon though.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Stymie posted:

no because it's still sticking an ssd in a consumer-grade computer

if they're evaluating them for use in server deployments, then it's valid

but... cutting down load times for poo poo by using SSDs is one of the biggest quality of life improvements for consumer craputers

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7PJ1oeEyGg

that was the case seven years ago lmfao.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
at motorola i was due for a new laptop and i begged for a 128 SSD and they said bbbbbut dont you want the GIGABYTES? SSDS ARE SO EXPENSIVE

and sure as poo poo, eight months in that stupid 640gb platter drive died and i was benched for four days while they provisioned me a new computer. Nice savings, idiots

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

suck my woke dick posted:

but... cutting down load times for poo poo by using SSDs is one of the biggest quality of life improvements for consumer craputers

look what you've done, idiot

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Captain Foo posted:

look what you've done, idiot

Stymies been quoted 33 times this week!

That means only one thing.... Bring it in guys!!!!

*Every gif, png jpeg and image macro about not quoting stymie comes in for a HUGE party*

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

suck my woke dick posted:

you can get the same quality of life improvement by buying a good hdd and not just the cheapest one per gb you can find with the added benefit of not having a finite usable life

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

mystes posted:

Asm.js has essentially been replaced by webassembly. It took a while but it's starting to be usable now. It's probably not going to kill javascript any time soon though.

ah so i guess the pipe dream of having a asm.js VM running on top of the linux kernel or something to solve portability once and for all was just that

mystes
May 31, 2006

Penisface posted:

ah so i guess the pipe dream of having a asm.js VM running on top of the linux kernel or something to solve portability once and for all was just that
There's nothing stopping you from doing that with webassembly.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
that exists already https://bellard.org/jslinux/

mystes
May 31, 2006

No that's the opposite.

People are working on webassembly vms for linux and there's also this for the kernel for some reason though: https://github.com/rianhunter/wasmjit

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jonny 290 posted:

at motorola i was due for a new laptop and i begged for a 128 SSD and they said bbbbbut dont you want the GIGABYTES? SSDS ARE SO EXPENSIVE

and sure as poo poo, eight months in that stupid 640gb platter drive died and i was benched for four days while they provisioned me a new computer. Nice savings, idiots

lol IT doesn't give two shits about the cost of your lost productivity. why should they? it doesn't show up on their budget.

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

mystes posted:

No that's the opposite.

eh?

https://bellard.org/jslinux/tech.html posted:

This emulator has a long history. The current version is based on TinyEMU and compiled to Javascript or WASM with emscripten.

mystes
May 31, 2006

"having a asm.js VM running on top of the linux kernel" ≠ "having a linux kernel running in a VM on top of an asm.js"

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

mystes posted:

"having a asm.js VM running on top of the linux kernel" ≠ "having a linux kernel running in a VM on top of an asm.js"

ah, I misread Penisface's post, thanks.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
just wait until cpus have asm.js instructions

or webassembly

mystes
May 31, 2006

eschaton posted:

just wait until cpus have asm.js instructions

or webassembly
Wasn't the point of asm.js basically that it translated easily to machine code in the first place?

Webassembly is more complicated though.

mystes fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 21, 2018

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
opposite. asm.js is a complicated mess (because javascript) and web rear end is designed to replace it with something not terrible

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

mystes posted:

Wasn't the point of asm.js basically that it translated easily to machine code in the first place?

Webassembly is more complicated though.

more easily than javascript, which is from the "everything is an object, and by object i mean hash table" school of plang design. it turns out to be hard in the general case to convert an unbounded number of hash table lookups into something sane like a pointer dereference

that's not really a knock on javascript's design, though. eich had no way of knowing that if you give a web dev something slow they will immediately look for expensive things to use it on

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
javascript isn't from any school of design. it was an afterthought for creating popups

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
imaging a world where jwz had been responsible for the decision instead of eich

he’d have just embedded an existing scheme and called it a day

and then maybe we can also imagine Netscape not coming up with cookies

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

eschaton posted:

imaging a world where jwz had been responsible for the decision instead of eich

he’d have just embedded an existing scheme and called it a day

and then maybe we can also imagine Netscape not coming up with cookies

and nobody would have used it and ms would still have put vbscript in ie but it would have actually gotten used and we would still be using it except for a few fp weenies who write scheme and transpile it to vbscript

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

nah, there'd be a bunch of weird syntax sugaring about which people feel are necessary because balancing parenthesis is a herculean task somehow, but it would have worked out better in every way, excepting possibly that electron would have happened in like 2005 when someone took firefox and replaced the scheme interpreter with a stalin+gcc-based pipeline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

stalin+gcc-based pipeline

why the gently caress would you name your software tool after stalin? it's not even young enough to be this ironic tankie poo poo, someone really did think it was a great joke apparently

funny how this is probably not as big a deal as when some edgelord would come up and name their software after hitler

• Locked thread