Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Dallan Invictus posted:

I mean, Bradley flamed out at Swansea before doing well at LAFC, I'm pretty sure that failing at notorious PL and Serie A dumpster fires doesn't mean you can't manage in MLS.

OTOH, if it DOES then we'll have two consecutive champions imploding the following year, which would be Cool And Good.

Bradley was a proven MLS coach already though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Owen Coyle absolutely faceplanted in Houston, though, so being a marginal PL coach doesn't mean you'll be any good in the madhouse that is MLS.

It's kind of odd historically what works and what doesn't in our bonkers league. I've always argued that raising the level of coaching is what the league needs more than anything, and it's starting to get there. The return of Bradley raises the average by himself, honestly. And I'm curious to see how everyone else comes along. poo poo, even Olsen looks a bit better with better parts at his disposal.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Dallan Invictus posted:

I mean, Bradley flamed out at Swansea before doing well at LAFC, I'm pretty sure that failing at notorious PL and Serie A dumpster fires doesn't mean you can't manage in MLS.

OTOH, if it DOES then we'll have two consecutive champions imploding the following year, which would be Cool And Good.

Swansea was imploding before Bradley got there. He's a very good coach but he does need buy in from his players. Coaches only offer marginal improvements and exponential downside, so saying Bradley is good mostly means he doesnt disrupt a good locker room.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
Having a GM that has all the arcane witchcraft MLS roster rules memorized cover to cover (also the unwritten ones) seems more important than a good manager most of the time.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

ShutteredIn posted:

Having a GM that has all the arcane witchcraft MLS roster rules memorized cover to cover (also the unwritten ones) seems more important than a good manager most of the time.

GW actually good?

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Lucas Rodriguez to DC official. One year loan, option to buy - basically the new United fiscal policy.

If they lock down Asad as well, DC is gonna buzzsaw the league.

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

https://twitter.com/NERevolution/status/1079965440003244032

that's a lot of work just to reveal a very plain kit

anyway, happy new year.
let's get these new kits going

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I was hoping the minuteman front and center was actually part of the shirt. Now that would be badass

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
It finally happened:

https://twitter.com/LAGalaxy/status/1080524527111593984

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

I would have loved to see him come coach Columbus, even just for the story, but good on him for getting out of Argentina where he probably would have been murdered eventually. I'll have to try to make it down to Columbus if LA plays there this year just so I can chant his name.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

:gb2gbs:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Andy Loughnane has been appointed president of Austin FC, and apparently the whole thing will be made 100% official later this month.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

Edward Mass posted:

Andy Loughnane has been appointed president of Austin FC, and apparently the whole thing will be made 100% official later this month.

LOL have fun with that guy. Dude is clueless.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Tim Bezbatchenko has formally left the GM role in Toronto (the rumour is he's going to assume the club presidency in Columbus but that part hasn't been announced yet) and Ali Curtis, formerly of NYRB, is replacing him.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Officially official:

https://twitter.com/ColumbusCrewSC/status/1081256502034350081

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
Hopefully the Wolffs stay here in town with Josh moving on to the MNT. I'd hate for my kid to lose one of his friends and teammates, but that's the business.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
https://twitter.com/MLSist/status/1081289580433805312?s=19

LMAO

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

Nice. Crew is also going back to its original #Crew96 hashtag instead of the #CrewSC one and asking media just to call us the Columbus Crew now and leave out the SC. I personally never minded the SC but I did think it was weird how much they focused on it.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
I don't think most of us mind it as the proper name of the team, but the way they forced it into everything was insufferable.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

insider posted:

Nice. Crew is also going back to its original #Crew96 hashtag instead of the #CrewSC one and asking media just to call us the Columbus Crew now and leave out the SC. I personally never minded the SC but I did think it was weird how much they focused on it.

Bring back the construction workers logo.

ZHamburglar
Aug 24, 2006
I have a penis.
Dongarber should be in Austin next week for the official announcement. I'm wondering if the academy will start playing in 2019 or 2020.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Rooney seems to have made a new home for himself in DC. Looks like he feels entirely comfortable to be himself.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Getting arrested at Dulles is very relatable

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

What else is there to do at an airport besides drinking until you forget you're at an airport?

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Olsen re-upped through 2021, and I just sorta throw my hands up and make gestures at the open air

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
They should honestly just let Wayne walk seeing as he just got back from a trip to Saudi arabia

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Yea I've got a lot of questions about what he was doing on a one day trip to the kingdom

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Making a fuckton of money for something trivial I'm sure.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Formula E had their first race in Riyadh, apparently went for that.

Also a 25 dollar fine and trip to the drunk tank for tripping an airport alert seems less punishment than I would have expected for such an infraction.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Make him take the fan conduct class!!!

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Make him do 90 minutes community service playing with Orlando.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

That sounds more like a prison sentence than community service

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
In a way, MLS is the Formula E of the soccer world.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
If we still had the hockey-style shootout, I'd agree. Formula E has F-Zero energy pads! https://www.fiaformulae.com/en/championship/attack-mode

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Edward Mass posted:

In a way, MLS is the Formula E of the soccer world.

Endless droning and very little excitement.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Schedule comes out in four hours.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Doublepost, but local D.C. United games will now be behind a $12.50/month paywall.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Man, at least when Chicago and LAFC did that it was on a service that someone might actually bother subscribing to for other reasons.

This seems like quite the own goal from DCU visibility-wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

So they're moving to a version of go90 that you have to pay for. Great plan.