Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Hi, preemptive thanks for any help you can offer. I'm very confused.

Problem description: I slept my laptop earlier today and when I tried to turn it back on, I just got a black screen. After waiting for a little while I force-shut it down by holding down the power button. When I turned it on again I got a black screen with the message:

Default Boot Device Missing or Boot Failed
Insert Recovery Media and Hit any key
Then select 'Boot Manager' to choose a new Boot Device or to Boot Recovery Media.

When I hit OK it took me into Boot Manager and showed me a boot option menu with no options. If I left again by hitting escape, it told me there as no bootable device and I should restart. When I restarted the same thing happened like ten times. Then I turned it off and left it that way for a while. When I turned it on again, this time it worked and started up as normal. I'm very concerned that this might happen again and not fix itself next time.

Attempted fixes: I googled that error on my phone but it wasn't very helpful. I got a lot of results about changing BIOS boot settings, which apparently involves going to another tab in the boot menu. But my boot option menu didn't show any other tabs. I also read to hit various function keys but none of the function keys seemed to do anything on any of the three screens I could see.

Recent changes: none that I know of, though Windows Update often does its thing in the background. I don't know much about computers and try not to mess with them. I got a BSOD a few weeks ago that made me very concerned. I don't remember the error message but it was something like Unexpected Store Error. When I googled that one it said it could be because of a failing hard drive but Windows said my hard drives were healthy. I think I also installed the most recent BIOS update at that time because I read that that should help. Hadn't had any other problems from then until today.

Operating system: Windows 10, 64-bit. It came pre-installed so I have no recovery media or Windows installation material.

System specs: Lenovo Yoga 720-13IKB, about 6 months old. Intel i5-8520U, 8 GB RAM.

Location: It's a computer purchased in the US but I'm currently in Saint Petersburg, Russia, for long-term academic research. That's part of why I'm very freaked out by any potential problems, I need this computer for daily work and don't have any other options at the moment, plus I'm in a foreign country where I wouldn't 100% trust any tech support I could get. I purchased this computer before coming here specifically so I would have a new laptop and hopefully not have any problems while I'm here.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Run CDI to verify HD health:
https://osdn.net/projects/crystaldiskinfo/downloads/70295/CrystalDiskInfo8_0_0.exe/

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Okay, I tried to do that and when I open it it just tells me "Disk not found".

I plugged in an external hard drive to check and it could find that, but not the hard drive in my actual laptop.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

vyelkin posted:

Okay, I tried to do that and when I open it it just tells me "Disk not found".

Is it an SSD or HDD? If it's and SSD it's probably okay.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Zogo posted:

Is it an SSD or HDD? If it's and SSD it's probably okay.

Yes, it's an SSD. The Windows tools I've run have all said the hard drive health is fine (like the basic "check this hard drive's health" tool when I open the hard drive properties), but for some reason CDI couldn't find the drive to check it.

Also, probably worth mentioning that it's been working fine since that boot issue when I posted this thread. It's restarted several times since then to install Windows updates, and hasn't had any problems so far. I remain nervous every time though.

• Locked thread