Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Suddenly revealed at The Game Awards 2018 comes ATLAS, a brand new Western pirate MMO

Steam Store Description posted:

From the creators of ARK: Survival Evolved comes ATLAS - a massively multiplayer first-and-third-person fantasy pirate adventure. ATLAS will host up to 40,000 players exploring the same Globe simultaneously, with an unprecedented scale of cooperation and conflict! Stake your claim in this endless open world as you conquer territory, construct ships, search for buried treasure, assemble forts, plunder settlements and hire crew to join your powerful growing armada. Start small then expand your spheres of influence from a small island, up to an unstoppable pirate empire that spans across the oceans. Wage battle against enemy fleets as you singlehandedly command large ships of war using the captaining system (or divide up to the responsibilities among your trusted lieutenants), or take control of any weapon directly with your own character. Dive deep into the briny water to explore permanent sunken wrecks and recover salvage, unearth the loot from procedurally-generated Treasure Maps and challenge zones, or complete challenging main questlines. Team up with other aspiring adventurers and sail into the vast ocean to discover new lands rich with region-specific elements, tame exotic natural and mythical creatures, raid forgotten tombs, confront powerful ancient gods and even build and administer your own colonies, cities, and civilizations to dominate the ATLAS in this ultimate quest for fortune and glory!

MMO On the Grandest Scale

Physically sail in real-time across the vast oceans with the proprietary server network technology. Explorers will voyage to over 700 unique landmasses across 45,000 square kilometers, with thousands of Discovery Zones, and ten distinct world regions each having their own unique resources, creatures, secrets, and environment hazards! There is a separate PvE ATLAS for players who don't wish to play any PVP.

Construct the Ship of Your Dreams, Plank by Plank!

Build drydocks and start with a dinghy rowboat, basic raft, tiny sloop or nimble schooner, moving on up to your own versatile brigantine or titanic galleon capable of transporting hundreds of crew and extensive cargo. Name your ship in big bold letters, paint and copy your own pirate flag and custom-place all the pieces of your ship -- which sails and where, planks and gunports, every single structure piece has a physical Weight and Material -- to function exactly how you want.

Captain your Crew!

Recruit real players and AI crew from freeports or rescue seasoned crew from destroyed “Army of the Damned” shipwrecks to man distinct stations on your boat! Set sail and explore the ATLAS with them to gain experience and level up their stats or gear, as well as levelling your Ship. Your crew are versatile! Whether on land, or ship, or even riding behind your animal companions on emplacements, they can man weapons of all kinds-- cannons, swivel guns, siege engines, turrets, and even gigantic mortars, many with dynamically swappable ammo types including grapeshot, chainshot, spikeshot, liquid fire, and more! Instruct them to board enemy ships and help you conquer the seas! Keep their stomachs full and their pockets full of gold lest you want a mutiny in your hands! Take on the Captain’s Wheel or divide up the command responsibilities via Lieutenant Podiums to direct the Ship’s assignable weapon systems, sails, and stations, including standing-orders or manual grouped fire. Or, walk up to any station and take control of it yourself!

Pirate PVP to the Limit

Everything is up for grabs including player’s ships, their crew, their pets, their forts, their land, and their booty. If you can get your hands on it, you can take it. A ship’s permanent logbook tells the tale of their legendary travel, exploits and ownership.

Be the Hero or Villain you were meant to be

MMO-scale character progression systems include, at launch, over 15 Disciplines with over 300 Skills, in a vast unlockable tree. New "Feat" system allows for active and passive bindable character abilities, while new stat-buff system allows innumerable abstract statistics to be modified by Skills, Items, and Armor. And now, everything has scalable stats, including structures, and can be progressively Upgraded!

This is Who You Are

Extensive character visual customization enables an endless range of realistic (and not-so-realistic) characters, with a vast array of sliders, morphs, muscle tones, and tweakable values. You can even per-pixel design your own permanent tattoos (and then draw warpaint on top of that too!). If someone exists in the real world, they should be creatable in ATLAS! Best-in-class dynamic hair growth and real-time aging systems allow you to get old and... pass on your legacy? (Or find a fountain of youth!).

Endless Adventure

Full Quest and Waypoint systems, with sub-quests and rewards, for major goals -- while procedural treasure maps and challenge zones also ensure there's always something new to find out over the horizon.

Intense Action

Tactical melee combat systems with blocks, parries, dodges, character motion, optional shields, stunning and strength-varying strikes, directional attacks, and more for use in either first or third person perspectives. Fists, swords, maces, blackjacks, daggers, and much more give you tremendous options to pick the right weapon for the job. Meanwhile, period-appropriate-weaponry with skill-based active reload systems include flintlock pistols, muskets, blunderbuss, and more -- just be sure to keep your powder dry!

Claim What's Yours

Form a company, claim territory and apply taxation and behavior rules to that which you own: be a benevolent governor, a feudal lord, or a ruthless dictator. Territory ownership is visualized on your dynamic zoomable World Map, with Fog of War obscuring uncharted regions and Shroud of War hiding enemy territories out of sight range. Contest other government's ownership of land, structures, or ships to expand your empire! The top large-scale Spheres of Influence on the Official ATLAS' are visualized in real-time on the PlayATLAS homepage. Design your own custom flag per-pixel to apply to your claims, to be famous (or infamous)!

Creatures Great and Small

More than 50 creatures at launch varying from breedable utilitarian farm animals & shoulder mounted parrots and monkeys that offer unique buffs, all the way to magical mermaids and gigantic sea monsters of legend. Creatures can be found in their logical regions, but take skill and tactics to tame using new mechanics, while also gaining the most benefit and fertility from their natural biomes. Ferry these temperamental creatures across the vast oceans in a virtual Noah's Ark to trade in exotic locales.

Freeports to Meet & Greet

Level-capped starter zones allow you to learn the ropes and meet new players in a safe space before you venture out into the great unknown. Where the wind and destiny takes you beyond that, is up to the gods!

Build Your Empire

Overhauled building systems include automatic foundational elevation adjustment, dynamic tile type swapping, improved snap detection & previewing, integrated plumbing systems, per-pixel-paintable everything, beast-of-burden harness attachments for field-gun and carriages, and much more! Survival systems newly include, among other aspects, Vitamins benefits and deficiencies, with recipe & cooking skills and varying ingredient qualities.

Powerful Mod and Server Functionalities

Want to build a World War II Spitfire? Or a Flying Fortress bomber with fully walkable interior and gun stations, carrying troops loaded with machine guns and rocket launchers? How about a Tank? An Aircraft Carrier to play out the Battle of Midway on an expansive scale? How about an Arcadian Steampunk Airship floating through a cloud-world? These examples and much more are provided with the ATLAS Dev Kit, where you can make effectively create whatever large-scale MMO action game you want to see happen, all supported by the database-driven network technology that powers ATLAS. Unofficial ATLAS' can be of any size and configuration, while a visual map tool lets server hosts layout their own complete custom world of islands, continents, terrain features, spawns, resources, hazards, underwater zones, dynamic weather, biome configurations, ecology, and an infinite number of other configurable features -- all dynamically streamed to the client during gameplay. The possibilities are endless!

Far, Far More

Stay tuned for more details on the extensive features and content of ATLAS. This brief sampling is just the tip of the iceberg (though be sure to watch out for those in the polar regions, as they're extremely dangerous to ship hulls!!).

A Brief History of ATLAS

Long-ago, far above the watery world of ATLAS there once existed a magic-powered “Golden Age”-- where great Empires of the Sky lived at peace alongside magical creatures, flourishing upon floating continents above the clouds, all powered by a magical source of energy known as the Heart of the Goddess, granted by the powerful beings who dwell in the stars beyond. However, a powerful warlord known as Xevos sought to unite the human civilizations over the magickind, and launched a war that broke the Heart into pieces, unleashing a wave of destruction that shattered the floating landmasses and plunged them into the waters below.

Many generations later, as living memory of the “Sundering” has faded into legend and the once-plentiful magical energy has long since dissipated, descendants of the protectors of the Heart of the Goddess -- known as “Pathfinders” -- emerge from their provincial oceanic lives to explore the new continents and islands, and seek out the power they may yet contain. Across the vast new world they’ll encounter hostile creatures, technological remnants of the Golden Age past, and ultimately the undying spirit of Xevos himself and his soulless “Army of the Damned”, still intent on recovering the pieces of the Heart of the Goddess to raise the continents once again under his vision.

If the latest generation of Pathfinders can outwit and outgun Xevos and his legions, and recover the Heart pieces for themselves, they will be faced with the very same choice: whether to attempt to restore the old world, or build a new better one…

So yeah, this is very much your standard "Promise the moon" MMO pitch, but the difference is that these developers actually have a pedigree designing a multiplayer game and also haven't been shilling it on Kickstarter. They specifically referenced EVE Online in how they want the PvP server to play out, with players creating their own history of politics, espionage, warfare, and trade. Just with an actual game instead of a spreadsheet attached.

PC Gamer got to spend a bit of hands-on time and speak to the devs more about their intentions and design philosophy

Early Access for ATLAS launched on December 13th 19th 21st 22nd and costs $25 USD till January 1st. Its having a lot of launch issues right now so maybe put off buying it for the moment.

What the gently caress is the thread title

quote:

For example, players in Atlas will age and eventually die if they get too old, forcing players to start a new character. But Stieglitz tells me the second phase of that feature will include a full systems where players can mate and birth children that they can "transfer" their stats to and take control of when they reach a certain age.

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

[M4F] looking for online gaming gf for long term multigenerational incest

1stGear fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Goon Discord link here

Official community Discord here

STARTING OUT

We are on NA-PVP The Kraken's Maw. EU group to follow but probably also on the PVP server.

This poo poo is hosed and constantly changing right now, check in Discord for what the current plan is.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Dec 24, 2018

forge
Feb 26, 2006
I'm bored, why not.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
My body is ready.

Kettlepip
Jun 23, 2009

Arrr(k)?

Sorry.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
ark2

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Made a dumb thing for us.. This way we can die easier.

https://discord.gg/jP8rcQ

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

forge posted:

Made a dumb thing for us.. This way we can die easier.

https://discord.gg/jP8rcQ

ty

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose
it's as if millions of Ark servers suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

okay this might not suck. funny how it's going EA already despite only just now being announced.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Normally I wouldn't have any faith in these pvp mmos but it sounds like this Wildcard offshoot is jumpstarting development by stealing everything from their previous game.

So all that's left for them to worry about are performance and balancing, which are serious enough on their own.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I'm cautiously optimistic, there was no kickstarter or year-long hype machine for this and they've already got their last game as a proof of concept. All that remains to be seen is how much stupid bullshit we can get away with in medium to large groups.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
hey op u forgot to credit me for the thread title and my high level of funniness

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Will there be dinosaurs in this one?

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

Cardboard Fox posted:

no, but they're adopting the dinosaur system into boats, so boats are just basically wooden dinosaurs

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

How is that different from normal boats?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Cardboard Fox posted:

Radio Free Kobold posted:

How is that different from normal boats?
Apparently you can hire AI crew, and they still have the shoulder pets.

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013

This sucks, was really looking forward to it.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

hey op u forgot to credit me for the thread title and my high level of funniness

Yeah my bad and fixed. Discord link has also been added to the second post.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

Simon Numbers posted:

This sucks, was really looking forward to it.

same, we all know it's too good to be true based on what we're being told but i'm hoping for an EPIC game

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Can't wait for people to gently caress me so I can give birth to stuff

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Going to get a character with real good stats and charge people to stud him out

UnintendedSpittle
Aug 1, 2012
I also am eagerly awaiting much loving.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Very good idea to make one of the most ambitious games of all time and then suddenly send it out there without much of an announcement just before your workers will all want to take Christmas off.

Also the man baby children that make up the core users will surely be very understanding of any delays in bug fixes caused by those holidays that they have off giving them more time to play!

Comrayn fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Dec 11, 2018

TheDarkAvenger
Mar 10, 2005

All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?
For a game that claims to be EVE inspired I expected more excitement here.

Also sad that I haven’t seen a poop deck reference yet.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

TheDarkAvenger posted:

Probably because more sandbox MMOs (really most MMOs in general) have been poo poo. If the game is actually good, there will probably be a lot more interest but until then, its just us poor dumbasses who are going in as the first wave.

There's an official ATLAS community Discord now.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

TheDarkAvenger posted:

Anything can claim to be Eve inspired these days. Whether or not it's an actual good game remains to be seen.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

1stGear posted:

Probably because more sandbox MMOs (really most MMOs in general) have been poo poo. If the game is actually good, there will probably be a lot more interest but until then, its just us poor dumbasses who are going in as the first wave.
Some of these mmos only last a few months before they crash and burn!

gotta get while the getting's good

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

Discord link has expired

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

This is the official discord link that was posted on their twitter: https://discord.gg/playatlas

Here is the permalink to our discord: https://discord.gg/zrxp5aF

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
neat

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

BurtLington posted:

Discord link has expired

Should be a permanent link now.

sinewave
Aug 29, 2005

space face
so.... are we gonna roll goon deep into this bold new world of ocean, islands, and purple painted pirate ships?

forge
Feb 26, 2006
All signs point to yes?

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Goon speed bad game crew

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

let us know if the game doesn't suck so we can join you.
hell i might join even if the game sucks because boats are cool and pirates are cool.

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

Looks too good to be true, so it'll most definitely be true and just as promised, count me in.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
14 years ago I was playing World of Warcraft when a friend sent me a trailer of this really cool MMO that claimed you could build cities, ships, and participate in a player run economy on a huge landmass. At the time I was so excited. I would watch the trailer multiple times a week and wait for WoW to die as this incredible game was going to come out and just completely eclipse it.

I recently found that trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_zKSPCIfqY

The ATLAS announcement reminds me a lot of that same trailer I first viewed so many years ago. Only now I am an adult with a lot more skepticism and a better understanding of why games like that typically don't transition well on a global scale. But there is still a part of me that thinks one day we will get this type of game, and it will work, and everything will be perfect. ATLAS will be that game, right?

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

What's more funny is that even after the collapse of Darkfall someone bought into that dream game promise and licensed it for another game under the name Darkfall: Rise of Agon, and a year later it happened again so now there's 3rd Darkfall by separate dev team Darkfall: New Dawn

Eagerly awaiting Atlas: Rearmed in 2025 by a new dev

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDarkAvenger
Mar 10, 2005

All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

Cardboard Fox posted:

14 years ago I was playing World of Warcraft when a friend sent me a trailer of this really cool MMO that claimed you could build cities, ships, and participate in a player run economy on a huge landmass. At the time I was so excited. I would watch the trailer multiple times a week and wait for WoW to die as this incredible game was going to come out and just completely eclipse it.

I recently found that trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_zKSPCIfqY

The ATLAS announcement reminds me a lot of that same trailer I first viewed so many years ago. Only now I am an adult with a lot more skepticism and a better understanding of why games like that typically don't transition well on a global scale. But there is still a part of me that thinks one day we will get this type of game, and it will work, and everything will be perfect. ATLAS will be that game, right?

I got hyped watching a flopped game trailer. I am not to be trusted.