Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small Bipedal Cat
Dec 12, 2018
I reckon they pushed it back to the 19th to compete with the Ashes of Creation Battle Royale abortion which comes out the same day. Maybe they think they can snuff out AoC by grabbing all the attention on release?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Comrayn posted:

Goon speed bad game crew

The things them boys did with Life is Feudal were pretty spectacular. I would've joined if I weren't a cheap rear end in a top hat and a wow player. Bad games can be fun for goons for a month or two

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

same, we all know it's too good to be true based on what we're being told but i'm hoping for an EPIC game

You know it's going to be a who's who of terrible archeage so it'll deliver some content regardless of how the game is.

UnintendedSpittle
Aug 1, 2012
I am actually looking forward to this game. I didn't play Ark, and haven't gotten HYPE for a game since UO came out. I'm pretty hype for as little information we have on this game.

I am eagerly awaiting the tears when only 1/10th of the features they describe on Steam are in at EA launch.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Hello, I am obligated to spend money on games that are about pirates.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

UnintendedSpittle posted:

I am eagerly awaiting the tears when only 1/10th of the features they describe on Steam are in at EA launch.

If you can log into the server and just run around with other people without crashing at launch the game will already exceed my expectations. Maybe if I set them low enough I'll be presently surprised.

UnintendedSpittle
Aug 1, 2012

Cardboard Fox posted:

If you can log into the server and just run around with other people without crashing at launch the game will already exceed my expectations. Maybe if I set them low enough I'll be presently surprised.

Setting yourself up for success, I like it.
/EDIT: Atleast I hope that's success....could be a monumental failure as well at this point. We know gently caress all about this game...

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Have a smoke. Coffee? You're welcome.
Fun Shoe
Forty-thousand concurrent players?

From the Ark dudes?

Did they do any kind of server tech purchase from CCP or are they just being strange lying weirdos?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Republicanus posted:

Forty-thousand concurrent players?

From the Ark dudes?

Did they do any kind of server tech purchase from CCP or are they just being strange lying weirdos?

I'm going to with "optimistic".

To be fair, at least going by the PC Gamer article, its not truly a single server. Its a bunch of servers stitched together in a way that looks seamless. I'm guessing there will be a lot of suspiciously empty patches of ocean between islands.

Anyway, I was passed another Discord link by a guy named Drache who says he's in a mixed goon/pubby group that originated from Ark. More people to possibly play with next week.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Rumor has it that tomorrow there will be another pcgamer article with more information.

UnintendedSpittle
Aug 1, 2012

Jackard posted:

Rumor has it that tomorrow there will be another pcgamer article with more information.

the PCGamer article tomorrow is published in the UK PC Gamer...on news stands in UK tomorrow. According to Jesse on Reddit, we should get the article in January? I'm still confused on that.

PCGamer Tweet:
Want to know more about the Ark: Survival Evolved team's new pirate MMO? Atlas is the cover star of issue 326 of PC Gamer UK, heading to subscribers today, and on newsstands December 13.

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1070985727498993664

WC_Jesse on Reddit:
The UK article is the January edition and it will be in the US soon.
https://www.reddit.com/r/playatlas/comments/a5j1hm/is_there_any_new_info_from_the_pcgamer_article/ebo4mjv

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

What a weird pose.

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
I’m the monkey with a dagger

TheDarkAvenger
Mar 10, 2005

All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

UnintendedSpittle posted:

the PCGamer article tomorrow is published in the UK PC Gamer...on news stands in UK tomorrow. According to Jesse on Reddit, we should get the article in January? I'm still confused on that.

PCGamer Tweet:
Want to know more about the Ark: Survival Evolved team's new pirate MMO? Atlas is the cover star of issue 326 of PC Gamer UK, heading to subscribers today, and on newsstands December 13.

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1070985727498993664

WC_Jesse on Reddit:
The UK article is the January edition and it will be in the US soon.
https://www.reddit.com/r/playatlas/comments/a5j1hm/is_there_any_new_info_from_the_pcgamer_article/ebo4mjv

Here is a small YouTube channel that previously covered ARK content that is going over the PC gamer article:

https://youtu.be/dB4RLJc6yqM

A lot speculation but not horrible analysis based on previous experience with this developer.

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013
game hasn't even launched and the community is already a train wreck, i'm role playing as a missionary in the official discord and it seems to be getting nerds riled up.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
that guy really hates me its hilarious he is picking fights with everyone

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

pre release game communities are always have the dumbest people.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Do you? Got a couple you could borrow, freshly cleaned.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i buy 4 packs at Costco

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

So we're gonna massacre every non-goon nation we run into, yeah? Just as a matter of course.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Eox posted:

So we're gonna massacre every non-goon nation we run into, yeah? Just as a matter of course.

We're going to figure out if this is a game worth spending that much energy on, then we're going out how to seize the economy by the balls, then we're going to make everyone pay us for the privilege of being massacred.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
do we maybe want to see about moving this to the Games subforum for more people

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Eox posted:

Is there any other way to play a game like this?

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

eonwe posted:

do we maybe want to see about moving this to the Games subforum for more people

Maybe PGS for ‘opsec’

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Jackard posted:

What a weird pose.

How else are you gonna see her butt?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

BurtLington posted:

Maybe PGS for ‘opsec’

If opsec becomes a thing, we'll just start a separate PGS thread. Having a public thread is good for general chatting/more visibility for the game.

Some kind soul scanned the PC Gamer article and has posted it online, where it made its way to our Discord. Not posting the link in case of :filez: but some of the high points are:

- Ships will slowly take damage while at sea. That, combined with the player survival elements, means occasionally stopping and repairing/resupplying will be necessary.
- Galleons will represent "thousands" of hours of work, with brigatines being the more standard big ship.
- There will be US and EU servers, in addition to the PvP/PvE split.
- There are bear-drawn carriages.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 14, 2018

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Someone made a games thread already but imo it’s better to keep this as a containment zone for weirdos with brokebrain even by goon standards aka everyone who has posted.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Not seeing it, gotta link?

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013
if this games like ark with permissions goonfucking could be a serious issue

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jackard posted:

Not seeing it, gotta link?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876731

I say lets keep the MMO thread too

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
Getting banned from lovely indie game subreddits and discords is one of my favorite hobbies

greasythepirate
Aug 13, 2016
Yeah, been waiting for a good pirate game. We'll see how long this lasts.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Game has gliders!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
archeage confirmed

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

Didn't see it posted anywhere, apologize if it was, shows bits and pieces of gameplay not seen in official trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVL4ecUaE4k

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

RocketRaygun posted:

Game has gliders!

Strotski posted:

Didn't see it posted anywhere, apologize if it was, shows bits and pieces of gameplay not seen in official trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVL4ecUaE4k

oh holy gently caress that's amazing this game is gonna rock :allears:

ATLAS: Pirates of the Burning Sea 2

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

eonwe posted:

archeage confirmed

Less out of game drama, more in game drama hopefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
It claims you'll be able to control territory in a meaningful way so I'm in, haven't played a pirate game that did this since..... Yohoho! Puzzle Pirates.