Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I'm in. I've got this preordered so might as well try a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

One thing to keep in mind for Facker, since it's their first 18XX, is that (as shown on the stock chart) 54 is the absolute lowest share price that you can start a company at, meaning you need at least 54x5 = 270 (plus anything you might have bid) in order to be able to buy 5 shares and float a company. Since only companies that are floated can operate and earn money, that's pretty important. Other players could theoretically buy shares in your company and help float it but that's generally Real Bad to count on unless you have an explicit agreement with them.

Pass

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Did Cthulhu pass?

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Y&N for 20

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Pass

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

WNR for 10

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I'll pay the *cough* service fee (-£20) and float WNR at £74 and buy the president's share (-£222) and buy two more shares (-£148) for a total of £390, which floats the company and gives it £740 in its treasury. I don't have edit access on the spreadsheet yet :doh: but I updated the stock chart.

Edit: Oh, and pass.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Still pass for me.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Pass

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Yeah sorry I thought I had already passed on that one.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Pass

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I guess it's to me again. If so, pass.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

We're into the regular stock round now right?

If so pass unless someone sells, same as Cthulhu

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Eh, why not, I know an extremely mild bargain when I see one.

buy 1 share of Y&N for £62

Once again autopass unless something else is sold.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

WNR operates

Lay #6 in E2 Wells-next-the-sea #9 in E2 Wells-next-the-sea, #57 in E4 Fakenham
Automatically place home token
No train so no run
Stock 74<68
Buy 2 1F trains

Porfiriato fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 21, 2018

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Wait, wouldn't each 1F run Wells->Port, at least to start? I was obviously planning to upgrade Wells to green and build my way out of there once greens were available.

Since 1Fs can only run one hex, I thought port-Wells was all the farther they could run anyway.

Edit: ah crap I forgot that freight trains chain together. Let me re-lay that.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Pass on PR.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

CD has £-1 on the spreadsheet for some reason.

I'll buy a share of WNR for £74 - I didn't see anything in the rules about limits on share ownership so I'm assuming that's legal.

To save time I'll do the same thing again next turn, and then autopass, leaving me with exactly £0. :smugdog:

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Usually turns in 18XX stock rounds are 'sell as many shares as you want [within the rules], buy one share'. I can't think of any off the top of my head that let you buy more than one share at a time, except in a few games where a stock is doing really terrible and nearly worthless (like 1830 when a stock is in the brown part of the stock market).

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Yeah, a fair number of games will limit you to owning 60% of a company but I didn't see any such restriction in the rules for 1862 (unless I missed it).

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

So I believe it goes

Lecher - buy WNR
Facker - autopass
Squishy - pass
CD - autopass

Lecher - buy WNR again
Facker - autopass
Squishy - undetermined
CD - autopass

Lecher - autopass

meaning Squishy's up.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

WNR operates

Green #15 in Fakenham E4
run 1F+1F Fakenham-Port of Wells for 140 (30 Fake + 30 hex bonus for Wells + 80 Port of Wells)
pay dividends, stock 68>>82 (move twice since dividend >2x stock price)
Buy 2F (-200)

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the way freight trains run and pay out but I think that's correct.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

It looks like the operating order in OR2.2 is

WNR (me)
Y&N (Facker)
NGC (Cthulhu)
ENR (Squishy)
L&E (Cthulhu)

I'll buy up the rest of a Y&N share (-39)

WNR operates
#8852 in E6 Watford, #57 in E8 Thetford
token in Fakenham
run 2F Fakenham-Port of Wells for 150 (30 Fake + 30 hex bonus for Wells + 90 Port of Wells)
pay dividends, stock 82>90

I guess I'm okay with playing the rules as we originally thought they were.

E: Actually if we're going to go against the designer's errata, I would suggest that we play a variation on what we originally thought, that F trains specifically can't run port to port (or red area to red area). Otherwise, especially once we start getting into the longer/permanent trains, I feel like not being able to run from a red area to a port (or vice versa) is going to be a crippling handicap on the freight train companies compared to the other two. And I say that as someone running a freight company.

Porfiriato fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Dec 23, 2018

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Pass

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I'll bid £5 on N&B

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Par N&B at 68, buy the director's share. Autopass on further PR companies.

So if I'm reading the rules correctly, it seems like the only way a company can end up on the bottom row of the market is if a share gets sold, or if the new price of two merging companies puts it there?

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

The rules state that stock actions are sell then buy, so you can't buy a share of NGC and then immediately dump it in the same turn.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Sell 1 Y&N (price 110v105), buy 1 ENR

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Sell 1 ENR (74v71) and 1 WNR (90v86), buy N&B

e: And to save time, I'll subsequently buy the 5th N&B to float, then 1 L&E, then autopass

Porfiriato fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 3, 2019

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

To confirm, if I merge two companies and have an odd number of total shares in them, I'd have the option to "buy up" the remaining half-share into another complete share, right? That's what I'm taking away from reading the rules but it feels like it's worded kind of obtusely.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Has everyone passed out of the stock round? I know I and CD have.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

WNR operates
Upgrade Thetford E8 to green #14
Token Ipswitch F11
Run 2F from Fakenham to Port of Wells (90+30+30) = 150
Withhold, stock 86<78
Buy last 3F (-280)

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

NGC Operates

Lays witham and Harwhich
Tokens Colchester
Run 2F+2F from London to Harwhich port for 340
Withhold, stock falls to 68
buy two one of it's shares from the market into the company.

Mr Squishy is up with ENR

I believe this is an impermissible route in that you can run to, but not through, a red off-board area like London. If you were relying on the connection through London to reach Colchester I don't think you could place that token either. (I don't know what the map looked like, it might have been possible to trace a route the long way around)

section 7.4 posted:

If a route visits a red off-board hex or a port, it must terminate there.

Edit: Never mind, I thought you were running from Newmarket-London-Harwich port. I still think NGC can't do that, but for a different reason: at least one train run in every company's turn has to hit their home station, so I don't think NGC would have been able to run Newmarket-London-Harwich with just 2 2Fs. (I assume it was going London-Colchester-Harwich port via the token in Colchester.)

section 7.8 posted:

At least one run for a company must include the town occupied by the company’s home station marker.

Porfiriato fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jan 7, 2019

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

N&B operates
Drops home token in Thetford E8
Upgrade Colchester E12 to green, token Colchester
no train/run, stock 68<62
Buy first 5F (-360)

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

FACKER posted:

Upgrades Ipswich (F11) and token it.
Runs 3F: Great Yarmouth Port to F5 (100+30+2*30 = 190)
Runs 2/3E: G8 down to F11 and up to E8 (60+30 = 90)
Runs 2/3E: F11 down to Port of Felixstowe (20+100 = 120)
Runs 3E: H5 across to C8 (50+60+50 = 160)
Total of 560 payout. Stock goes up 4x, 90>>>>134

Edit: forgot to mention that I redeemed a company share

ENR - Mr Squishy
Y&N - Facker

WNR - KL
L&E - CD
NGC - CD
N&B - KL
EUR - CD
ECR - Facker

We have a little bit of a problem in that Y&N is over the train limit (4 vs 3) and shouldn't have even been able to buy a train last OR (when the limit was also 3). I guess the easiest thing to do would be to force it to discard a train to the market? I dunno. Nope, no problem except me being a dumbass and forgetting that train limit is per type not overall.

Porfiriato fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jan 10, 2019

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Never mind, I'm an idiot. I thought it was 3 trains total, not per type.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

WNR operates
Upgrade Cromer F2 to green Norwich to brown
Run 2F+3F party train from Norwich to Port of Wells for 60+90+(30x3)=240 Ely C8 to Port of Wells for 50+90+(30x3)=230 Great Yarmouth to Port of Wells for 50+90+(30x3)=230
Pay dividends
Stock moves 3x 78>>>105 2x 78>>95

ENR - Mr Squishy
Y&N - Facker
WNR - KL

L&E - CD
NGC - CD
N&B - KL
EUR - CD
ECR - Facker

Porfiriato fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jan 12, 2019

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Mr. Squishy posted:

30x2 surely? It's as the crow flies, not how many tiles you had to lug it.

Crap, that's right. This game is a hornet's nest of rules and edge cases I've not encountered in other games.

In that case I'll run WNR's F2+F3 voltron'd into an F5 from Ely C8 to Port of Wells. It's 4 hexes in between but 3 as the crow flies so it's 50+90+(30*3)=230. I'll keep the track lay though because eh screw it.

Porfiriato fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jan 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Mr. Squishy posted:

That's no good either. I believe what you're doing is entering E6 from the north and leaving on the southwest, which you can't do as there is no junction there. One of the weirdnesses of '62 is the only junctions are in cities. So on E6, north goes south, southwest goes northeast and no tile upgrades can change that. Looking at it, your best route would be to change the tile lay to upgrading Norwhich and then running from Port of Wells to Great Yarmouth for 230. That's the greatest immediate payout I can see.

Man I'm just a dumbass today. I'm about to get on a 12 hour flight but please go ahead do that for me so my incompetence doesn't hold things up any further.