Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

The Shampehs 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

My Shampy award this year goes to The Telltale Batman games for the multiple scenes where Batman punches a woman in the face and makes me uncomfortable

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
Congrats to the Shampys 2018 Gamer of the Year, MrDeadMoth!

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
I guess I just gotta say that I’m Australian, a fortnite streamer, and I have a gf - pretty much everything an Imp hates,

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

I guess I just gotta say that I’m Australian, a fortnite streamer, and I have a gf - pretty much everything an Imp hates,

You’ll be denied entrance into Imp Heaven but allowed into Limbo with the other virtuous Australians

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

WTF... Did Shampy really beat up women? hosed up to laugh about guys... Come on.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The jokes about Shampy are really funny but at the same time women-beaters are among the lowest of the low and I genuinely hate him... “Two sides of the same coin”

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

The jokes about Shampy are really funny but at the same time women-beaters are among the lowest of the low and I genuinely hate him... “Two sides of the same coin”

While its true that any imp worth their salt hopes to unironically murder shampy if/when given the chance, im grateful to the dozens of chickenshit mods and admins that waited like four years before they banned him for image leeching or whatever the gently caress, keeping the forums balanced and fair to all

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
shampy was banned? before the formation of the games forum support steam group and discord? wtf...

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
MVP Award goes to molested children: without you there would only be 3 or 4 threads here.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

elf help book posted:

jrpgs are comfy even if they arent great

but you might as well play a great one

VWVWV
Jan 19, 2010

:yikes:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

ol yeller posted:

MVP Award goes to molested children: without you there would only be 3 or 4 threads here.

what the

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
I recently bought a PS3 to play the few exclusives it has over the 360, so my Impy goes to Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus. Most reviews criticized the short length of the game, which is understandable, given that it clocks in at around 15 hours. This is fairly short by the standards of Ratchet games. However, I found it to be the perfect distillation of the Ratchet formula. All of the weapons are there, they each level up 5 times before transforming into something new, and each one feels useful. Although there are only 5 levels, each one feels fairly large, and hunting down collectibles like RYNO blueprints and Gold Bolts didn't get tiresome like certain earlier Ratchet games.

Ultimately I felt that the short length was to the game's credit rather than its detriment, as I was left wanting just a little bit more instead of feeling like it should have wrapped up a few hours ago, which is how I feel even about series classics like Going Commando and Up Your Arsenal. Way to go ItN, you really did great in TYOOL 2018.

edit: but honestly EDF5 is probably gonna be GOTY even though I've only played like an hour of it so far.

SoR Blaze fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 11, 2018

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

ol yeller posted:

Ya gotta give it to these molested kids! *crowd starting to turn on me* Woo! Couldnt do it without em folks

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

HolePisser1982 posted:

Ya gotta give it to these molested kids! *crowd starting to turn on me* Woo! Couldnt do it without em folks

Lol

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
Awards Only Battered Women Received

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001
Five years late, but enjoyed the heck out of GTAV.

Second place awarded to Detroit: Become Human for its art and mood.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Up Your Arsenal

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

HolePisser1982 posted:

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I’m giving my GOTY Impy to God of War (PS4).

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Up Your Arsenal

it's probably the best of all of the Ratchet games I've played. It finally nails what 1 and especially 2 were building and perfects the formula. I like Deadlocked the best though.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

HolePisser1982 posted:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Up Your Arsenal

I just now realized the pun in the name. I'm giving this a retroactive honorable imption even though I've never played it

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

HolePisser1982 posted:

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

HolePisser1982 posted:

These Sega press conferences are getting weird :newlol:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I stopped playing games for a while and I didn't think I was missing anything in my life but I got a switch this year and I was reminded of the fact that games are fun and good. Here are the games that did that:

Hollow Knight
I usually bounce off of metroidvanias a few hours in when the backtracking starts to really show itself but this game is just a pleasure to interact with no matter what you're doing. The art style, smooth animation and unique setting draw your attention at first, but it's the little gameplay things that make you stay. The controls are just about perfect and the hd rumble on the switch version makes you feel like you're actually sliding down a wall or at least rubbing your joy cons against a wall and what other game can say that

Into the Breach

The simple rules with no dice rolls or complex damage calculations and the enemy push and pull mechanics make this my favourite tactics game of all time. It's super satisfying setting up a turn that can kill every enemy on the map and watching it play out

Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth
I bought the flash version of Isaac when it first came out and I enjoyed it, but the extra content really makes the original concept shine. I probably put in a hundred hours just on this, especially when the switch version lets you take it with you when you're in the middle of a good run and you don't want to stop to go take a poo poo

Breath of the Wild
Probably the best game ever made full stop

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I just now realized the pun in the name. I'm giving this a retroactive honorable imption even though I've never played it

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Thank you SO much for the feedback, we've been working on the Impys for 6 months and we are excited to start working on next year's show!

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

The trailer for next years impies during this years impies got me hoipe

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

The Shampys 2018

Goes to RDR2 due to the possibility of feeding women to alligators

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Interior Crocodile Alligator
This feminist has met her creator

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The new God of War was really great and I hadn't expected to be that into it because when it was initially announced as a soft reboot sad dad game I didn't think that'd work at all. A pal lent it to me and I decided to try it out because the Leviathan Axe sounded cool as hell and then the whole game was really great.

I had played The Last of Us a few years ago but the gameplay never really clicked for me and I hadn't thought about it much until the gameplay trailer for 2 at E3. Ended up replaying the the HD Remaster twice, once on Hard and once on Grounded which was a very different and really great experience. The restrictions they added to make the mode much harder changed how I had to play the game a lot rather than just doing what you normally have to do but with insanely good reactions and no mistakes.

I can't remember much else I played this year but I think it was mainly online multiplayer stuff or old games I'd played before. Started a bunch of stuff recently like P5 and Majora's Mask that might make next year's list. Exciting!

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

The new God of War was really great and I hadn't expected to be that into it because when it was initially announced as a soft reboot sad dad game I didn't think that'd work at all. A pal lent it to me and I decided to try it out because the Leviathan Axe sounded cool as hell and then the whole game was really great.

I had played The Last of Us a few years ago but the gameplay never really clicked for me and I hadn't thought about it much until the gameplay trailer for 2 at E3. Ended up replaying the the HD Remaster twice, once on Hard and once on Grounded which was a very different and really great experience. The restrictions they added to make the mode much harder changed how I had to play the game a lot rather than just doing what you normally have to do but with insanely good reactions and no mistakes.

I can't remember much else I played this year but I think it was mainly online multiplayer stuff or old games I'd played before. Started a bunch of stuff recently like P5 and Majora's Mask that might make next year's list. Exciting!

:manning:

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

IMPY of the Year 2018: Dragon Quest XI and Monster Hunter World were both games I had been eagerly watching for years, as they both belong to game series I really love. Both games exceeded the considerable hype I had for them. They are god drat treasures and we are blessed to have them in our gaming lives.

IMPY of the Comfy 2018: Comfy game of the year is tied between Final Fantasy XV, which I've put dozens of hours into but not completed the main story, it's just so fun and relaxing to do the sidequests, and the MMO Final Fantasy XIV. It's just so god drat nice to grind, fish, listen to the music, take in the environments (La Noscea wins personal favorite). I never feel like I have to hurry up or catch up to the max level. I just have to enjoy. Honestly, a feeling I rarely have in MMOs and it's so god drat nice.

IMPY of the Pick Up And Play 2018: Into the Breach is such a great game to pick up for 10 minutes of gameplay, it's so elegantly basic but simultaneously complex with its tactics. Plus it has mechs vs kaijus, a theme I personally love. It would be rad if we'd see a great Godzilla game in the next few years, with the movie out next year, or just great kaiju-themed games like Into the Breach.

IMPY of the Classic 2018: Parasite Eve was my fave new classic game I played this year. Thank you, Imp Zone. It's incredibly good and short and should be checked out by every Imp who hasn't already. Honorable mention to Final Fantasy Tactics, which I only recently started playing for the first time (don't shame). It can't really contend this year, since I've only so recently started. My only problem is that I can't decide if I should play the original or the PSP remake.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
Im glad lots of ppl ended up trying and liking Into the Breach. I think that was my favorite soundtrack of the year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Impy 2018: Dragon Quest XI - Best JRPG I've ever played. I was sick yesterday and played like 8 hours of this in the post game, most games don't have that kind of power over me after 80 hours.

Indie Impy 2018: The Messenger - Extremely kinetic platformer with excellent music and level design. Picked this up on Mike Matei's recommendation and wasn't let down.

Retro Impy 2018: Super Metroid - This was my first time playing this game, and it lived up to the hype! Its a shame I'll never get to play this for the first time ever again.

Honorable mentions: Yakuza 6, Yakuza Kiwami 2, Ori and the Blind Forest, Guacamelee 2.

e: oh and shout outs to Wild Arms which I played this year. My second favorite PS1 rpg after Suikoden 2

Baxate fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Dec 13, 2018