Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008
I'm back to work after my 7-day cruise (Mexican Riviera) on the Majestic Princess.

The cruise was very relaxing - no children onboard whatsoever, good weather, and the ship was less than 40% full.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Nanigans posted:

It's less the ships and more the crowds on Carnival ships that suck. But the ships and food do suck comparatively, too.

Agree 100% here. Three sailings on Carnival and the older I got, the less appealing it got. I was 26 the last time I sailed on that line and almost swore off cruising again.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
A woman fell overboard a carnival cruise ship at 3:30am and coast guard is still searching for her.

No idea if this is accurate or not, but supposedly she was drunkenly climbing between balconies when one broke and she fell into the ocean.

https://abc7.com/woman-overboard-cruise-ship-search-coast-guard/11327340/

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I'm sniffin' out doing a cruise for the first time around April/May next year. Royal Caribbean cruises from LA to Mexico seem to be around $300 before taxes and fees. Is that normal? Seems hella cheap.

Edit: Nevermind it's still like $400 for a stateroom which is still nutso cheap in my head.

Fartington Butts fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 15, 2021

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Cruising is very affordable right now.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Seriously, just go to any gay bar and start buying drinks.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

https://twitter.com/evanmcmurry/status/1475486172885491714

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/abc/status/1476630289044721666?s=21

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
It's cool how the CDC is so quick to dissuade the public from cruising but doesn't have much to say about 60,000 people cramming into stadiums and concerts. On the other hand, those venues are probably making their local "economic impact" and generating tax revenue, whereas cruise lines are registered in other countries and generate very little tax revenue.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Doronin posted:

It's cool how the CDC is so quick to dissuade the public from cruising but doesn't have much to say about 60,000 people cramming into stadiums and concerts. On the other hand, those venues are probably making their local "economic impact" and generating tax revenue, whereas cruise lines are registered in other countries and generate very little tax revenue.

The CDC regulates the cruising industry, whereas those stadiums and concerts are down to local laws and ordinances.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Fame Douglas posted:

The CDC regulates the cruising industry, whereas those stadiums and concerts are down to local laws and ordinances.

I was about to argue with you, but this prompted me down a rabbit hole of federal regulations on the cruising industry and I found this very interesting blog from Royal: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2020/07/21/why-does-the-cdc-regulate-the-cruise-lines

I always thought cruise lines fell mostly under Federal Maritime Commission, but I was mistaken, I guess.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Interestingly enough the CDC has confirmed the Conditional Sail Order will expire and become optional on the 15th.

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man
Crystal cruises didn't return the Crystal Symphony (not the Royal Caribbean Symphony of the Seas) to Miami, instead they stopped at Bimini in the Bahamas and ferried all the passengers to Ft. Lauderdale. Why? The ship is going to be seized by the feds because they didn't pay fuel bills so they avoid that by just not going back to the US. The company is going Bankrupt. Granted, it's mainly because the parent company in Hong Kong is failing, but it's still wild. Another 3 month journey style Crystal cruise (Serenity) that left just a few days ago is stopping in Aruba to dump off passengers and that's it, cruise over, also you are on your own getting back from Aruba. K, bye.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I just got back from a chartered cruise on Holland America.

We had extra COVID precautions that aren't part of HAL's normal policy anymore (a second negative COVID test conducted at the port, and masking in all indoor spaces except while eating or drinking). It felt very safe, and so far I have not heard of any cases aboard.

Other than that, cruising felt like cruising, and I really missed it.

Edit: One known case aboard, which isolated and didn't even give it to their partner. According to the CDC, we had fewer than eight reported cases, which is as granular as they get -- it's either zero, or "some but fewer than eight".

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 28, 2022

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I'm sailing with Allure of the Seas/Royal Caribbean in Sept. We're going to the Western Caribbean mostly because I wanted a day trip to some ruins.

I've never been on a cruise before, so let me know the important dos-and-donts.

I'm going with my mom and step-dad as a kind of family trip thing, if that is relevant.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Annath posted:

I'm sailing with Allure of the Seas/Royal Caribbean in Sept. We're going to the Western Caribbean mostly because I wanted a day trip to some ruins.

I'm going with my mom and step-dad as a kind of family trip thing, if that is relevant.

For boarding, either show up as early as possible, or take your time (definitely recommend early as possible to allow delays, etc.). If you show up somewhere in the middle, you’re gonna wind up waiting in the longest boarding lines.

Unless you drink a lot, don’t bother with the alcohol packages. They’re priced so that you need to basically be an alcoholic the whole trip to get your money’s worth.

Royal Caribbean’s main dining room has decent food, but it definitely gets repetitive if you’re sailing 5+ nights. I’d recommend trying out other places for dinner a night or two, including the premium dinner places if you’re willing to splurge a little. But otherwise the main dining room is much better than, say, the windjammer (the buffet style place you’ll generally go to for breakfast and lunch many days) for dinner.

Some of the stops on Caribbean cruises can be overly touristy, so I generally like to stay onboard for at least one stop, which allows you to do onboard activities that are normally longer waits or packed.

If you want to see the diving show, try to see it early in the cruise. There’s a high chance it will get cancelled many nights due to wind and/or waves, so seeing it earlier ensures you won’t miss it from cancelled days.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Annath posted:

I've never sailed on Royal Caribbean, so I'm sure there are some tips and tricks unique to that line. But in general...

Do:

- Bring motion-sickness meds unless you're absolutely sure you don't get seasick. The motion on a cruise ship is not the same as on a smaller boat, and I know people who can ride in a motorboat on a lake all day with no problems, but get sick on a cruise.

- Tip your stateroom stewards. And anyone else you get good service from. Some cruise rates are still "tips included", but the crew doesn't make great money by Western standards, and tips go a long way. I usually leave a decent tip out for my stewards the first night, and then a larger one at the end of the cruise.

- Research your destinations before you leave. You don't have to make complicated (or any) plans, but you want to know things like: how safe it is to walk around, how far from the port the things you want to do are, what the taxi/rideshare situation is like -- and how to avoid sketchy ones. Also know whether you'll need local currency. The US dollar is accepted, and generally preferred, almost everywhere in the Caribbean, but there are a few exceptions.

- Bring some comfy sandals or aquashoes for beach and pool visits. And maybe an extra pair of regular shoes, too. Ask me about the time San Juan unexpectedly delivered its monsoon season in a single evening.

- Bring stuff to do. I don't know what your interests are, but most cruise lines cater toward the geriatric set. I pretty much only go on chartered cruises featuring programming/concerts that match my interests, and I wonder how bored I'd be on a "normal" cruise.

Don't:

- Don't pay a ton for official excursions unless there's something unique that you absolutely, 100% have to do. If you just want to snorkel or jet-ski or whatever, don't pay $150+ for the cruise line to take you; do your research before the cruise and you can find a safe, legit company doing it for a third of the cost.

- Don't be late getting back to your ship at a port-of-call. They will leave without you.

- Don't forget to put your phone in Airplane Mode and/or turn off cell data/roaming when you depart. A lot of cell providers have a deal with cruise lines to provide cell service, but it's ridiculously expensive: we're talking like $15 per megabyte. If your phone is set up to automatically choose a provider, it may connect to this service without you knowing. It's MUCH cheaper to just buy the cruise line's ship-board Internet.

- Don't buy the cruise line's ship-board Internet. The speeds are atrocious, and a lot of sites will be blocked. If you need to connect with the real world (you don't), most cell providers will sell you an "international data pass" for 7-10 days so you can connect on port days. Depending on where you're going, you may have slow data speeds included in your plan for some/all of your ports of call.

Cruising is fun, and port days are the best. Where all are you visiting?

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 28, 2022

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

WhiteHowler posted:

I've never sailed on Royal Caribbean, so I'm sure there are some tips and tricks unique to that line. But in general...

Do:

- Bring motion-sickness meds unless you're absolutely sure you don't get seasick. The motion on a cruise ship is not the same as on a smaller boat, and I know people who can ride in a motorboat on a lake all day with no problems, but get sick on a cruise.

- Tip your stateroom stewards. And anyone else you get good service from. Some cruise rates are still "tips included", but the crew doesn't make great money by Western standards, and tips go a long way. I usually leave a decent tip out for my stewards the first night, and then a larger one at the end of the cruise.

- Research your destinations before you leave. You don't have to make complicated (or any) plans, but you want to know things like: how safe it is to walk around, how far from the port the things you want to do are, what the taxi/rideshare situation is like -- and how to avoid sketchy ones. Also know whether you'll need local currency. The US dollar is accepted, and generally preferred, almost everywhere in the Caribbean, but there are a few exceptions.

- Bring some comfy sandals or aquashoes for beach and pool visits. And maybe an extra pair of regular shoes, too. Ask me about the time San Juan unexpectedly delivered its monsoon season in a single evening.

- Bring stuff to do. I don't know what your interests are, but most cruise lines cater toward the geriatric set. I pretty much only go on chartered cruises featuring programming/concerts that match my interests, and I wonder how bored I'd be on a "normal" cruise.

Don't:

- Don't pay a ton for official excursions unless there's something unique that you absolutely, 100% have to do. If you just want to snorkel or jet-ski or whatever, don't pay $150+ for the cruise line to take you; do your research before the cruise and you can find a safe, legit company doing it for a third of the cost.

- Don't be late getting back to your ship at a port-of-call. They will leave without you.

- Don't forget to put your phone in Airplane Mode and/or turn off cell data/roaming when you depart. A lot of cell providers have a deal with cruise lines to provide cell service, but it's ridiculously expensive: we're talking like $15 per megabyte. If your phone is set up to automatically choose a provider, it may connect to this service without you knowing. It's MUCH cheaper to just buy the cruise line's ship-board Internet.

- Don't buy the cruise line's ship-board Internet. The speeds are atrocious, and a lot of sites will be blocked. If you need to connect with the real world (you don't), most cell providers will sell you an "international data pass" for 7-10 days so you can connect on port days. Depending on where you're going, you may have slow data speeds included in your plan for some/all of your ports of call.

Cruising is fun, and port days are the best. Where all are you visiting?

I have to get the full itinerary from my step-dad, but I definitely want to do one of the excursions to some Mayan ruins.

We're departing from Ft. Lauderdale Sept 11.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Annath posted:

I have to get the full itinerary from my step-dad, but I definitely want to do one of the excursions to some Mayan ruins.

We're departing from Ft. Lauderdale Sept 11.

Oh, Western Caribbean. Then you're almost definitely going to Cozumel and Puerto Costa Maya. Depending on the length, I think RCI usually hits their private island in the Bahamas, too.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
just a couple other bits from someone who just cruised for the first time with RC in december. there's a few things I wish I'd have known about a bit more:

-you will be nickel and dimed for things, a lot

-excursions aren't great, you can pay $100+ for 45 minutes of an activity and are then stuck at the 'resort' where the activity took place for several hours paying for their amenities or just... waiting for the taxi to come back.

-the rocking of the boat is noticable, especially at night when the stabilizers are off, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I was worried it would be.

-it is hard to play ping pong on a moving boat (wind)

-it is surprisingly easy to play pool on a moving boat

-those boats can be crowded. we went on a boat running 3600/6300 people and I can't imagine what a full boat would have looked like.

-related, but plan out shows or activities you want to do. if you can reserve a spot on the first day, do it.

with all that said, my partner and I had an overall great time. We ended up running out of personal stamina before we ran out of activities to do.

We would absolutely do a cruise with RC again, but with another group (as opposed to a solo couple), and probably keeping it at 5 days max

e: you might be doing a similar itinerary to us as well. If you hit CocoCay, RC's private island, do that. the waterpark was cool and the island ended up being the highlight of the trip.

BHB fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 28, 2022

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

There are a lot of youtube videos out there about cruising for the first time, what to bring and what to leave home, etc. I found them very valuable and helped make my first cruise a success.

Here's your cruise itinerary

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/crui...dt_shrdln__4645

I've only been on 1 cruise so far, but the thing I like about cruising is you can make it whatever type of vacation you want. You can be as active and social as you want to be, or as chill and relaxing as you want.

I find the upgraded internet access (All RC ships have VOOM) to be worth it. Being able to iMessage, WhatsApp, and stay in touch with family is important. Supposedly the upgraded internet package is fast enough to stream video in the right conditions.

The YT videos will cover a lot of things, and it's been a few years since I cruised but here are some things that made our life easier

- Magnets. There's surprisingly few places to hang things like hats your lanyard, towels, etc. Amazon has a bunch of cruise ship magnet listings. The walls are metal so they work pretty well

- Power strips and extension cords - Do NOT bring surge protectors, they can mess with the cruise ship. Sometimes there's only 1 outlet in the entire room. A power strip and extension cord can help get power to where you need it. I use a CPAP so I had a really basic 12 foot extension cord packed so I could run power to my side of the bed for my machine. The power strip also allowed us to plug a bunch of stuff in. Chargers, batter packs, all sorts of stuff.

- Soda. Drinks are very expensive onboard, even non alcoholic ones. We don't drink much, but we did take advantage of bringing a couple 12 packs of diet soda onboard.

I do not care for the drink package at all. We did buy a bottle of Tito's for the room though from Carnival. It was borderline criminally expensive, but it covered our Alcohol needs for the entire trip. We are very light/casual drinkers and took most of it home with us. When you buy the alcohol package, there seems to be this need to "maximize your value" from it, and people drink way too much, especially early on in the trip.

Mr Sanchos in Cozumel is awesome. If you want a nice all inclusive beach day in Cozumel go there, I love that place. Flat rate taxi price to the resort, then one price for all the food/drink you want while you're there.

Definitely check out a few first time cruise YT videos though, lots of good info there.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

BHB posted:

e: you might be doing a similar itinerary to us as well. If you hit CocoCay, RC's private island, do that. the waterpark was cool and the island ended up being the highlight of the trip.
That's one disadvantage I felt about cruising with Holland America / Carnival. Their private island (Half Moon Cay) is far less developed than the ones Disney and RCI have.

It's just... a beach.

I mean, it's a really nice beach -- one of the most beautiful I've ever seen. There's an oceanside bar, and a little pavilion for food, and some very touristy souvenir shops near the docks. But when I look at Royal Caribbean's CocoCay photos I'm a little jealous.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Can you clarify something for me?

I was under the impression that the base cruise package included food from XYZ dining areas, and then you could upgrade to also include "fancier dining" at ABC locations. So, if I buy the upgraded package, can I just go to whatever dining spot I want on the ship?

Similarly, the drinks package was like $60/person, so if I plan on drinking more than like 4 drinks (est at $15/each) wouldn't the drinks package be worth it?

In what scenarios will I be required to pay out of pocket on the boat, as opposed to it being included with the package/upgrades?

I assume I can use a credit/debit card on the boat if needed? I don't tend to carry much cash, so I'd need to prepare ahead of time if cash is needed.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Annath posted:

Can you clarify something for me?

I was under the impression that the base cruise package included food from XYZ dining areas, and then you could upgrade to also include "fancier dining" at ABC locations. So, if I buy the upgraded package, can I just go to whatever dining spot I want on the ship?

Most food is included in the base price, including windjammer, the pizza place, and the main dining room. A lot of other food (specialty restaurant, bar food, any soda and alcohol) are at additional cost, but also completely optional.

quote:

Similarly, the drinks package was like $60/person, so if I plan on drinking more than like 4 drinks (est at $15/each) wouldn't the drinks package be worth it?

Depending on your own drinking habits, this may be worth it for you. For a lot of people, drinking that much every day for 6 days, not including time off the ship, is difficult and yet you feel obligated to make it “worth it” after buying. You just gotta do the math compared to how much you personally drink.

quote:

In what scenarios will I be required to pay out of pocket on the boat, as opposed to it being included with the package/upgrades?

I assume I can use a credit/debit card on the boat if needed? I don't tend to carry much cash, so I'd need to prepare ahead of time if cash is needed.

Your room key is tied to your account, and can be paid off at the end of the cruise with a credit card. That’s the primary purchasing device on the cruise ship.

Off the cruise ship, do some research on how safe it is to use credit vs. cash. I’ve never had issues with using a credit card in most of the Caribbean, but some people play it more safe and bring a lot more cash.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
yeah, if you're having 4+ alcoholic drinks/day, every day, the deluxe package can be worth it (it's $60+/person, *per day*.)

we got the regular drinks package at a discount and were able to get our money out of it between coffees, smoothies, and the 24-hour rfid beverage machines.

if you get the ultimate dining package that'll get rid of a lot of the piecemeal expenses, though the prices they show for that are also per day

you'll also get charged for some events, classes, anything you do at the spa, any shopping you do (there are many stores on the boats), gambling at the casino, etc.

by and large you pay for/check in for everything through the seapass card they give you, and then settle the account at the end of the trip.

oh, as far as tips go, you'll also be charged 14.50/day to your account as a catch-all service and maintenance staff tip, and things that you order will have a gratuity added on by default as well.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Ah, I didn't realize the drinks thing was $60 per DAY.

I will probably not get that, because while I enjoy a Mojito and Bloody Mary, I don't see myself drinking 4+ per day lmao.

The food thing I think we'll definitely want though. I plan on indulging in the food and lounging by the pool most of the time haha.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Annath posted:

I will probably not get that, because while I enjoy a Mojito and Bloody Mary, I don't see myself drinking 4+ per day lmao.

The food thing I think we'll definitely want though. I plan on indulging in the food and lounging by the pool most of the time haha.

Be sure to check which food your booking covers before you pay a bunch extra.

On Holland America, it covers everything other than a few "signature restaurants" on the boat. Main dining room, all-day buffet, burger window, pizza window, and 24-hour room service -- all included.

I usually splurge for one extra-nice meal at a premium restaurant, but generally they feed you REALLY well, and you have unlimited food available without paying extra. I'd imagine RCI is similar, though I think they don't do the free room service anymore.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Annath posted:

And if it’s not clear, you have to purchase it for all days of the cruise, you can’t pick e.g. Tuesday and Thursday.
Additionally, if one person buys the alcoholic drink package, all adults staying in their room have to also purchase it.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
If I remember my last Royal Caribbean cruise (4 years ago), room service for basic morning breakfast is included, but all other room service incurs an additional charge.

They used to include room service for free until like 2am, so it was disappointing when they added a fee.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Nottherealaborn posted:

If I remember my last Royal Caribbean cruise (4 years ago), room service for basic morning breakfast is included, but all other room service incurs an additional charge.

They used to include room service for free until like 2am, so it was disappointing when they added a fee.

Free 24-hour room service is one of my favorite parts of Holland America cruises.

We tend to stay up pretty late, and then retire to our cabin to watch any concerts we missed that day on the closed-circuit TV and order quesadillas and fresh-baked chocolate chip cookies.

rocketbrah
Sep 24, 2003

it's peanut butter
⚡ MORPHIN' TIME ⚡
I was on the Allure for an 8 day cruise with an old college friend back in December.

On rocking: It was barely noticeable the first night (Ft. Lauderdale -> Bahamas), but effected me progressively more as the trip went on. You can help yourself to dramamine on the medical deck, but if you think you might need something stronger, look into it in advance.

On drinks: Even as heavy drinkers, we did not get $60 worth of drinks daily, but we came pretty close, and the soda/juice package was going to be $24/day anyway.

On dining: Windjammer was good for breakfast and lunch. They rotate the menu in the main dining room but we would certainly have been tired of eating there before the end. The Chef's Table was fun if you're into that sort of thing, but it depends on you and the people you're with if you'll think it's worth it. Of the extra cost sit down type places we went, I'd rank them Izumi > Central Park > Chops > Samba Grill. I read people speaking highly of the boardwalk donut place, but we found them too dense and chewy, and they're the same kind you get if you order room service. Johnny Rockets is free for breakfast, and they have a great BLT. The pizza place is open late and if it's not too busy they don't mind giving you a whole pie or two to take back to your room. The dog house ran out of everything except the classic beef dog pretty early every day. Do room service breakfast at least once if you have a balcony. Nursing a coffee while watching the sun rise as we pulled into the Bahamas was quite pleasant.

On activities: If you or your parents are planning on doing a spa, I recommend scheduling it for when the ship is parked in port, because the massage beds are oriented diagonally so you WILL feel the ship rocking. The casino was pretty fun and surprisingly busy if that's your kind of thing. We didn't check out the night club, but walking past the line to get in it seemed to be mostly the 60+ crowd, if that affects your interest level.

Make sure you have whatever little toiletries and necessities before you get on the ship. There is a shop on board that carries some stuff (sunscreen, shampoo, etc) but it's expensive and might not have everything.

They gave us a little wristband when we presented our vaccine and negative Covid test results. If they're still using those don't be a dummy like me and assume you can take it off and on, breaking it in the process and needing to sheepishly get a new one from the help desk.

The elevators get very busy around the two mealtimes (6 and 8, I think?), so learn to enjoy getting some exercise on the stairs.

The solarium was my favorite place to hang out and get some air, but it fills up very quickly during the day. Second favorite place was the seating on the boardwalk, right by Sabor bar.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
The Norwegian cruise I'm going on in August was 138 for 7 days of drink package which is a definite worth it price for me. But NCL is always doing specials like that.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
There’s also a non alcoholic package as well if you just want to do alcohol by the order but have more than coffee tea lemonade.

Royal internet is good and worth it.

CocoCay is awesome and even if you decide to not do the water park, it’s a cool place.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Blargh, my aunt has expressed interest in joining us for the cruise.

I love my aunt, she's great, but she's not someone I really want to share a small stateroom with for a week...

I'm honestly surprised she expressed interest, because she is much more the "stay inside and read" than the "sun and beach and drinks" type.

Oh well lol.

I'm still super excited. I'll finally get to use my passport lmao.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Annath posted:

I'm honestly surprised she expressed interest, because she is much more the "stay inside and read" than the "sun and beach and drinks" type.
To be fair, the ship can accommodate either type of person.

One of my favorite parts of a cruise is grabbing an early breakfast, then going back to my stateroom balcony to read or do puzzles while the air is still nice and cool.

But, uh, is she inviting herself? Because that's kind of... not cool.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

WhiteHowler posted:

To be fair, the ship can accommodate either type of person.

One of my favorite parts of a cruise is grabbing an early breakfast, then going back to my stateroom balcony to read or do puzzles while the air is still nice and cool.

But, uh, is she inviting herself? Because that's kind of... not cool.

Nah, my mom was telling her about it and she said "that doesn't sound terrible" and my mom was like "well why don't you come along!" :v:

Its all good, it'll mean getting another room, and thus I will get a proper bed instead of a fold out couch/futon thing.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Annath posted:

I've done one cruise but keep this thread bookmarked for funsies, and it was actually on Allure of the Seas!

We did the drink package and didn't regret it until the 6th day or so. We definitely got our moneys worth but after almost a week of drinking a lot of mixed drinks, our bodies got very angry with us. It was fun right up until it wasn't, and we probably wouldn't get it again, but we did get a good story out of it.

The Central Park area was frequently very quiet, a godsend on a huge ship. Breakfast at the cafe there and drinks at night were a favorite. It's gorgeous at night, and feels like the sort of thing you get on these gently caress-you-I'm-big ships.

I don't know if it's still happening because it involves packing everyone into a theatre and a fuckton of shouting, but The Quest (usually on the last night or so of the cruise) is worth doing to see if its your thing. It's described as an "adults only scavenger hunt," which is...sorta accurate but doesn't really communicate how over the top it is. It's not particularly raunchy or lewd by the standards of someone on SA, but it is definitely A Lot.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

We’re on a Princess cruise to Hawaii and just pulled in to Honolulu. I know we joke that cruising is geared towards the older crowd but holy crap, is that true for Princess. I’m 44 and easily in the top 10% of the youngest guests here. One of the shows is promoting the music of Doris Day and Perry Como. :aaa:

On the plus side, we’re on the Lido deck and since there’s not huge deck parties, it’s nice and fairly quiet.

Oh and while we were docking, we saw a live shark in the water eating something so that was cool.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Princess ships are Heaven’s waiting room OMG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Braksgirl posted:

Princess ships are Heaven’s waiting room OMG.

Holland America's general age range is "old as gently caress" to "fresh corpse".