Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
You had that experience on the Valor? drat. It's not even *that* old (03-04?). Makes me wonder how much worse off the Conquest is from the last time I was on that class of Carnival ship in 2008.

Back in the 90s my aunt and uncle went on cruises constantly. They would never sail a ship more than 8 years old because they swore they went to poo poo suddenly at about that point. But they also only sailed Carnival and RCL. Maybe they had the right idea?

Vista is only 5 years old. So better get on it soon by their rationale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Zero One posted:

https://twitter.com/TravelGov/status/1236739608794275846?s=20

In other news the crew members on Regal Princess tested negative, so it is only the Grand Princess with confirmed cases on-board.

Canada has a comparable alert.

Regent is offering 100% future cruise credit up to 48 hours before sailing, so I'm not making any decisions yet as we don't leave until April 2. I also bought 3rd party travel cancellation insurance for the first time ever shortly after I booked in January (might have been very wise).

I now actually find myself hoping they cancel the cruise so I get a 100% FCC and an insurance payout. The FCC would potentially be of limited value because my wife is starting a new job and may not get the holidays to do a 2 week cruise anytime soon.

I am genuinely starting to have fears for the financial health of the industry though. Many of these cruise lines (maybe all?) are so financially leveraged that I can see real financial problems if the crisis last another month.

e: Spain had a massive jump in cases overnight. If Spain takes measures like Italy, it's going to be darn rough for the cruise industry.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-09/spain-says-coronavirus-cases-almost-doubled-overnight-to-999

slidebite fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 9, 2020

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008

Doronin posted:

...I'm late to Carnival chat, but if you're going to sail Carnival it's all about managing your expectations. If you take one their 3 or 4-night cruises at a bargain price from one of the smaller ports like NOLA, Galveston, Tampa or Mobile, you're going to have a lot of folks who wear college sports fan gear as their "fancy clothes" everywhere you go. It's definitely a lower common denominator.

Everyone I know who's traveled a bunch out of the Gulf on one of these itinerary types refers to these as "Bubba cruises."

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Just throwing this here....

It was $54 less than 1 month ago.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Which one is that? I don't see the ticker.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

skipdogg posted:

NCLH

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I would be a bit worried about the carnival brand recovering after this with their premium line really having their name dragged in the mud.

Royal Caribbean I expect to bounce back strong in a few years.

Non-stock chat, if you ever planned on going on that dream Alaska cruise, book now for late 2021. The prices are about 60% of what they normally are because all the cruise lines want to get as many future cruises and deposits on their books as possible for now. Just make sure you book with credit card and get the insurance.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

skipdogg posted:

Sorry about that, yes nclh.

I agree, some good buys for sure! Just make sure you have legit cancellation insurance in case they go belly up in the time being, probably best to not buy through the cruise company..

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
We are planning a family cruise to Alaska next year and made a deposit on DCL because we thought our daughter would like that experience best.

But I'm relooking at the itinerary, and I am seeing that DCL only visits Dawe's Glacier. Our by far #1 reason we want to visit is to see glaciers while we still have them. I've read elsewhere that everyone says that Glacier Bay is the way to go if that is the case. Would mean having to book with NCL probably.

Anyone with experience of both have strong opinions here?

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Zero One posted:

Carnival is having a bad time.

In addition to Diamond Princess and Grand Princess, the Royal Princess sailing today was canceled because a crew member transfered from Grand tested positive. And the Carnival Panorama is still waiting to see if a guest tests positive.

News is that two employees working at the Port Everglades terminal have tested positive. We haven't heard anything from the ship we're on (Holland America), so we're all just trying to continue on as normal.

The ship crew have been working really drat hard to make sure there's enough hand sanitizer to go around, too. I've seen staff carting racks of dispensers past, so they can be replaced on the fly rather than having to delay people from using them.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Whoops. You on the Nieuw Amsterdam?

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

WhiteHowler posted:

Whoops. You on the Nieuw Amsterdam?

Yup! We missed Half Moon Cay because the weather wasn't good for the island staff getting there and the captain decided it wasn't good for tendering people across to where the staff could work, so we've spent three (really awesome) days at sea now.

It helps, I think, that we have shipboard social media, so there's been a "yes, the news has said this; it wasn't at our terminal, and we haven't heard from the ship or head office yet, and we would not have been allowed to dock if there were concerns" post, and most people are trying to be nice to the staff.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I'm staying on Deck 5, fellow Sea Monkey. :)

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

poolside toaster posted:

Everyone I know who's traveled a bunch out of the Gulf on one of these itinerary types refers to these as "Bubba cruises."

Haha, I'll have to remember that. Perfect descriptor.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

tinytort posted:

News is that two employees working at the Port Everglades terminal have tested positive. We haven't heard anything from the ship we're on (Holland America), so we're all just trying to continue on as normal.

The ship crew have been working really drat hard to make sure there's enough hand sanitizer to go around, too. I've seen staff carting racks of dispensers past, so they can be replaced on the fly rather than having to delay people from using them.

Oofta. The bad news never stops. I think it's just a matter of time that cruise companies start pulling the pin on some cruises, especially to Europe/Med (news is getting dark) but confirmed cases in a Florida port is not a good sign.

I was 50/50 yesterday that our April 3 Trans Atlantic cruise will be going, at this rate I'll be more surprised if it's not outright cancelled within 2 weeks.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I don't see the news improving anytime soon. I still think this whole thing is largely a ton of hysteria, but it is what it is.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
The Public Health Agency of Canada has recommended that Canadians not go on cruises because the risk is too high. :(

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well, I think tomorrow is going to be full of outright cancellations based on tonight's news.

Viking (Euro river cruises) just cancelled everything until the end of April.

My TA cruises departs April 3, arrives in Barcelona April 17th, technically after 30 days, but I can't imagine they'll keep that scheduled considering it'll be leaving before anyone knows if they can get home.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I really doubt any cruise lines will cancel cruises but who knows at this point. They're all bleeding money and if they cancel, they have to refund. They'll not cancel, hope people will cancel their reservations and accept future cruise credit. Chances are good I'm wrong but that's what I see happening.

I'm booked on the Disney Dream for March 27 on a killer TA rate and yeah, it's looking like I won't be going. I'm bummed.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I'm talking cruises with Euro itineraries, sorry. That is already happening.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Princess stopping all cruises for two months:

https://twitter.com/cnbcnow/status/1238083067648114688?s=21

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Viking cancelling all cruises until May 1st.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Welp. I'm happy to be wrong, tbh.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Viking will be fine. Its a very particular brand with a strong niche with a lot of retirees that will still want those small scale european cruises.

I'm more curious what this will mean for Carnival. Will the Princess brand survive?

Cockashocka
Sep 13, 2013

Bubble brother

Hopefully our NCL cruise in July won't be affected... hopefully.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Nobody knows for sure, but I think there is a good chance summer trips will go ahead. I think spring is pretty much a write-off at this point. Even if they weren't outright cancelled, so many people are spooked I can only think the ships would be running at an unacceptably low capacity.

The big 3 (Carnival family, NCL family, Royal family) will be interesting. They are all heavily leveraged (some owe more than the company is worth... especially now) and their assets are lumbering beasts which only cost them money when sitting empty so the only thing they can do is reduce costs as much as possible because they aren't making anything right now and negotiate with creditors.

Future cruise credits are the only thing going for them that it's not refunds, BUT, at the same time that's taking a huge bite of future revenue away. Between that and people getting skittish of ships they have challenges for the next year or two.

I hope the can survive. If it goes much longer than a month, who knows.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
We cancelled our RCL trip for end of April and rescheduled for December on our 5-year wedding anniversary. No charges or anything, and the new trip has a better itinerary. Pretty happy, honestly.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

slidebite posted:

Nobody knows for sure, but I think there is a good chance summer trips will go ahead. I think spring is pretty much a write-off at this point. Even if they weren't outright cancelled, so many people are spooked I can only think the ships would be running at an unacceptably low capacity.

The big 3 (Carnival family, NCL family, Royal family) will be interesting. They are all heavily leveraged (some owe more than the company is worth... especially now) and their assets are lumbering beasts which only cost them money when sitting empty so the only thing they can do is reduce costs as much as possible because they aren't making anything right now and negotiate with creditors.

Future cruise credits are the only thing going for them that it's not refunds, BUT, at the same time that's taking a huge bite of future revenue away. Between that and people getting skittish of ships they have challenges for the next year or two.

I hope the can survive. If it goes much longer than a month, who knows.

Even if the big 3 somehow all go bankrupt (I bet only 1 or 2 if not none actually do) then some other financial group will make a new company overnight to buy all those ships in great condition and they will be cruising just a month or two after the bankruptcy.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Disney Cruise line is halting operations til the end of the month.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Cockashocka posted:

Hopefully our NCL cruise in July won't be affected... hopefully.

I am also booked for an NCL cruise in June/July to the Caribbean. Fingers crossed.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

coronavirus posted:

Even if the big 3 somehow all go bankrupt (I bet only 1 or 2 if not none actually do) then some other financial group will make a new company overnight to buy all those ships in great condition and they will be cruising just a month or two after the bankruptcy.
I think there is a good chance you are right on all counts - but if you have a credit/deposit with a defunct cruise line any new owner won't necessarily be obligated to honor it.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
If any go bankrupt it is likely to be a negotiated bankruptcy like with GM or airlines where the lenders agree to restructure debt and get equity so the company can keep running. Only current shareholders would lose out.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Regent finally pulled the pin

quote:

Dear Valued Guest and Travel Advisor*,

Regent Seven Seas Cruises continues to closely monitor the coronavirus situation and its impact on our global health environment. The safety, security and well-being of our guests and crew is our highest priority. With the COVID-19 coronavirus impacting communities and ports around the globe, we have enacted a voluntary temporary 30-day suspension of all cruise voyages worldwide embarking between March 13 and April 11, 2020.

This temporary suspension is part of efforts around the globe to contain the spread of the COVID-19 coronavirus and is taken in an abundance of caution. Regent Seven Seas Cruises has not experienced any confirmed cases of COVID-19 across our five-ship fleet.

We understand the inconvenience and disappointment that this disruption causes. We appreciate your understanding as we partner with local, state, federal and global agencies to combat the spread of COVID-19.

Regent Seven Seas Cruises will provide a 125% Future Cruise Credit on the amount you paid, which can be applied to any new booking within one year on any Regent voyage between now and December 31, 2022. If you prefer a refund rather than the Future Cruise Credit we will provide you with a 100% refund on the amount you paid. Please note that if a 100% refund is selected it will be made only via the original form of payment and may take up to 90 days to be received.

Thank you for your patience and loyalty as we manage through this evolving situation. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience, and we look forward to welcoming you on board in the future.

Sincerely,

Regent Seven Seas Cruises
Now, to discuss what to do. 125% FCC is not an insignificant gesture.

The funny part is I literally received a final confirmation email from them at 9AM this morning for the departure on the 3rd.

e: Looks like all NCL family divisions have the same offer.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 13, 2020

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Add Royal Caribbean to the list.

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1238563968744140800

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man
I'm doing a crazy Transpacific Cruise from Sydney to Hawaii on Ovation of the Seas that leaves Sydney April 20th. This 30 day thing still puts us in limbo -- technically US cruise since it ends in Hawaii. At this point, I'm not expecting to actually go but awaiting RC to cancel on us. If we somehow do, I'll be amazed.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Watching for my parents transatlantic HAL on April 3 FLL/BCN is fun - not sure which end is going to fail first right now.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

NCL, RCCL, Azamara, Celebrity all announced halted operations. No word from Carnival yet.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

They are Princess's parent right? That's sort of odd they haven't.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Carnival suspended operations yesterday.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronavirus/fl-bz-carnival-bars-travelers-over-70-20200313-qataayau7fbcblh7mc3wfardg4-story.html

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

HAL has also suspended operations (we got the news Friday, I think?) and the Niuw Amsterdam got turned away from Grand Turk. (So we hit Half Moon Cay on the way back.)

As far as anyone can tell right now, none of us are sick. (I did hear reports that one guy died at Half Moon Cay, but it sounded like that was a heart attack? I do not have any details, sorry.) We did all get told to watch our health for the next two weeks and self-quarantine during that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Just got off the Magic and I’m sitting at Chili’s in FLL. Loved the ship and the trip, might be my favorite cruise thus far.

Word started spreading around the ship last night about Carnival suspending future trips. Saw a few bartenders and other staff crying. Was a sort of somber night.