Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden just came out for PC, PS4 and Xbone and I love it. only $35 bux (dux?) brand new.

https://www.mutantyearzero.com/

Do you like tactical turn-based games where you set up ambushes, XCOM 2 style? Enjoy fallout style storylines where you know more about the pre-apocalypse than the adorably misinformed denizens of the post-apocalypse world? Crossbow packing top hat wearing duck man sounds tolerable as long as he's lighting people on fire and saying snarky stuff? Is save scumming fun?

This may be a game for you. It looks gorgeous and the art and story style has a cool sort of fairy tale vibe to it from the anthropomorphized animals to giant thorny bushes to the way characters view the world. Pretty refreshing after the fallout 76 disappointment this year, I'm having a ball with it.

It's based on a Swedish Tabletop role playing game that some goons did a thing with here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3819402
while I was searching to see if anyone else had a thread out.

Basic tips (imho):
Save a lot.
Search a lot after killing everything in the area.
Start on normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I started on Hard and it doesn't gently caress around. You are always going to be outnumbered, so sneaking around and stealthily thinning the numbers before you engage the main group is crucial. You'll never have enough medkits.

It's fun though. Highly recommended.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
No one plays this game?

Considering how popular Xcom was here on SA this is surprising

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Zzulu posted:

No one plays this game?

Its xcom light, no tech trees more like a traditional rpg (three characters [out of five so far], trading weapons back and forth, treasure chests). Strong point is presentation but kind of frustrating gameplay. There’s bugs to iron out too, and my dudes have yet to ascend to the transcendent rear end kicking machines that my xcom operatives became very quickly on normal.

The game also clearly marks enemies and areas you are too low level to tackle, which smacks of bad game design.

It’s nice that its not a full $50 but that can make people undervalue a product and the marketing has been pretty lax. I saw this trailer:

https://youtu.be/dvFtrkg-DIY

and thought “hey cool they’re finally making beyond good and Evil 2! Looks different.”

Incidentally the female lead uses an ability in this trailer she can’t have in the game. Bad marketing. Fun game though, been on a trip can’t wait to dig back in tonight.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Beat it. Cool game highly recommended, not too long. More goons should play this!

CrowdControl
Aug 2, 2011

Uhh Tommy, I think I'm just gonna sleep at my house tonight...
I just got it and its looked really cool so far. Two questions though. How short is it? And, how often should I be fighting red skull enemies? I feel like I keep taking on challenges way harder than I should be doing so far.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

CrowdControl posted:

I just got it and its looked really cool so far. Two questions though. How short is it? And, how often should I be fighting red skull enemies? I feel like I keep taking on challenges way harder than I should be doing so far.

Pretty short. The hand drawn map is going to fill up with little markers signifying levels. When the hand drawn map fills up completely that’s all the levels there are.

I steered clear of red skull enemies unless I knew I could take them. I found it pretty challenging on normal.

I went with the animal squad members all the way.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

Picked this up in the last sale, but haven't gotten around to it until now. Charming game, though! I've been trying to resolve the encounters entirely without taking any damage (in stealth, or atleast with a heavy alpha strike with disables etc) which turns it into sort of a puzzle game. If you'd gotten healed between maps or something I'd probably would have gone in guns blazing, but since my dumbass dont like using consumable items i play conservatively.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

BBQ Dave posted:

The game also clearly marks enemies and areas you are too low level to tackle, which smacks of bad game design.

The game is very particular about telling you to sneak around enemies you can't fight yet in the tutorial. Doesn't seem that bad for me.

I'm enjoying it, playing on very hard. It's starting to crash on me now that i'm at the lair of the horned devil, though. Bit of a shame.

You absolutely have to care about alpha striking everything. I've found that a lot of enemies (Mauraders and Butchers in particular) have low enough hitpoints that my crossbows can take them out regardless of the level. At level 30 i was taking out level 45 goons for a huge xp spike and sneaking past the big guys until later on. Then i'd come back and finish them off with all the grenades i've been hoarding.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 19, 2019

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Has anyone played the DLC?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I got pretty deep into the game on whatever the hardest difficulty is and eventually stopped. I really really liked the parts of the game where it was basically a puzzle game, swapping weapons and killing small amounts of enemies and using all your skills on a cycle so your team wouldn't take damage was incredibly fun. But, at around the corn fields area, enemies just got too tough and in too large of groups and the game just turned into regular XCOM and I was having a lot less fun.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Zzulu posted:

No one plays this game?

I played it some but probably didn't give it its fair due - I didn't go very far then got a case of the "this is not optimal XP expenditure ! Start again !" and realized the game wasn't random at all - every location is fixed, has fixed enemies etc... and I couldn't be arsed just redoing everything I'd done point for point. I mean I did that a dozen times in Kingmaker, but at least that game has a million builds to gently caress with - not so here.

I'll probably revisit it at some point though, the setting was intriguing plus Snarky Duck Laurel & Snarky Boar Hardy are fun characters.

All in all I'd hardly advise anyone to buy it at full price though, it seems pretty short and as I said replay value is basically nil.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

It's free on the Epic Games Store this week!

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I've figured out a funny to let me stealth-kill things that I can't quite one-round with silent weapons: Use Hog Rush for a knockdown and two more turns of silent point-blank shooting, and/or a later-character's Mind Control to grab the person, wrangle them two more screens away from everyone, and finish them with noisy weapons far from hearing range.

Bonus for the Mind Control strat: A lot of Hunters have medkits, so you get free healing out of the deal.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Archenteron posted:

I've figured out a funny to let me stealth-kill things that I can't quite one-round with silent weapons: Use Hog Rush for a knockdown and two more turns of silent point-blank shooting, and/or a later-character's Mind Control to grab the person, wrangle them two more screens away from everyone, and finish them with noisy weapons far from hearing range.

Bonus for the Mind Control strat: A lot of Hunters have medkits, so you get free healing out of the deal.

You can do basically the same thing with any robot enemies using the duck or fox’s emp shot (or use an emp grenade). Also if you combine high-altitude crit chance with the crossbow and the top hat and wings, you can usually one-turn an enemy.

This game is plenty long if you play on hard; I don’t feel like the length is a super valid complaint. It’s a solid 20-30 hours. The problem is that if you’re playing on hard then the length comes entirely from save scumming to figure out the right order of killing enemies and right order of actions so as not to have your really vulnerable team thrashed, especially because health is so hard to come by.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I got pretty deep into the game on whatever the hardest difficulty is and eventually stopped. I really really liked the parts of the game where it was basically a puzzle game, swapping weapons and killing small amounts of enemies and using all your skills on a cycle so your team wouldn't take damage was incredibly fun. But, at around the corn fields area, enemies just got too tough and in too large of groups and the game just turned into regular XCOM and I was having a lot less fun.

If this is place I'm thinking of, I mainly bypassed the enemies here, and came back a map or so later and they turned out to be a cakewalk. I was initially a bit distressed by the large clumps of enemies but they turned out to not be so bad in practice (and some of them break up into patrols when you get near). Was pretty catharctic when I mistakenly went loud and Dux and Selma perched on top of a truck managed to clean it up anyway. Haven't had to use a health pack yet, on hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I finished the game on very hard iron mutant mode and got the trophy for not losing anybody (some real white knuckle moments there), then started the dlc with the save file to get that iron mutant trophy. But at the end of the first dlc area, there's a cut scene where the game crashed and corrupted my file. Now it can't be loaded :smith:

You can start the DLC with a new file, but it's a generated team that is level 61, missing some skill unlocks and weapons, and even has unexplored areas of the main map. What a kick in the balls :smith: