Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

When I see some twerp with his dad in line at the grocery store watching LP's on a phone at full volume while holding it directly in front of his face I don't usually think "Man that kid's a loving rear end in a top hat", I usually am on the side of "Why doesn't that kid's dad do something about it?" Easier said than done, I know, but loving snatch that thing from him, god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

dont allow children on the internet at all

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
I don't think it is even possible for a kid older than 12 to not have a smartphone these days. They give out homework assignments, classroom schedules and test results in apps.
You can try raging against the changed world but it won't matter. If your kid doesn't have a smartphone by age 13 the school will probably provide one paid for by some fund for underprivileged kids.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

only let 30 years or older use the internet

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

numberoneposter posted:

dont allow children on the internet at all

kill me

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Get this:

The Industrial Revolution and its consequences have been a disaster for the human race.

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

If they're a generation of hapless buffoons, why are they so good at photoshop, rapping, and editing music videos? i'm currently sitting in an office across from a squad of five 18-23 year old creative producers who all make six figures

explain pls

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
my child will be born in 1988. he can play NES as soon as he wants, SNES when he is 5, N64 when hes 10, and so on. so by that he can get a smartphone when hes about 19 or 20 I guess.

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

GBS Reacts To Matt Ox

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVu91Y0S2pQ

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Tolkien minority posted:

Get this:

Agriculture and its consequences have been a disaster for the human race.

Ftfy

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

hunter gatherer ftw

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

friendly 2 da void posted:

If they're a generation of hapless buffoons, why are they so good at photoshop, rapping, and editing music videos? i'm currently sitting in an office across from a squad of five 18-23 year old creative producers who all make six figures

explain pls

All those things you just described are like the definition of non-productive buffoonery

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

my phone taught me how to rap AMA

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

All those things you just described are like the definition of non-productive buffoonery

not according to the values of the capitalist society we all live in, which pays them fat stacks to make your rear end jealous bitter and resentful

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

They can have phones when they get jobs and buy them.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Strategy rpg games taught me how to read tbh.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

friendly 2 da void posted:

not according to the values of the capitalist society we all live in, which pays them fat stacks to make your rear end jealous bitter and resentful

Lol nice try but there's nothing in the values of capitalist society about that

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
While dipshit bobby in the corner was struggling to write his own name I was expounding on how the rebellion campaign must not deteriorate the sovereignty of the nation.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Honestly, you’re not wrong

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Honky Dong Country posted:

They can have phones when they get jobs and buy them.
get a job ya filthy tweens!!!!!

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

feelix posted:

Just don't procreate problem solved

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

All kids should have phones and/or a tablet with internet connection 24/7. The faster we can destroy ourselves the better

hail satan

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I think a major issue with trying to limit technology or social media access to modern kids as that it will absolute affect their relationship with their peers in a negative manner and so it feels like sort of a damned if you do damned if you don't situation

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

numberoneposter posted:

get a job ya filthy tweens!!!!!

Hey man if a kid wants adult things they'll get a high school job and buy it. Simple as that. That's what I and every other kid my age whose parents didn't feed them allowance did. No different than a kid buying their first beater car.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Don't let young kids use youtube unattended

The TLDR is that content farms are pumping out tons of weird knockoff kids stuff for ad revenue, which means you can go from a legit peppa pig video to something like this in two or three "related videos" clicks.

blunt fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 12, 2018

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I don't see the issue here

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

gently caress Peppa Pig

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

there is a car that drives by my house that a big pepper pig sticker on it and its about all i know about pepper pig thanks to a coworker with a baby

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
i'll take my 3 daughters phones away before bed tonight just to be an rear end in a top hat if anyone gives me a good reason to show them

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

blunt posted:

Don't let young kids use youtube unattended

The TLDR is that content farms are pumping out tons of weird knockoff kids stuff for ad revenue, which means you can go from a legit peppa pig video to something like this in two or three "related videos" clicks.

Lol it's cool that youtube doesn't care

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

didnt youtube demonetize a ton of poo poo??? i dunno what that even means though.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

numberoneposter posted:

didnt youtube demonetize a ton of poo poo??? i dunno what that even means though.

They probably hiked the price of ads up and lowered the amount of money paid to creators. The result is less ads except those for the new Will Ferrel Sherlock Holmes shitstack

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
It's like with anything. Give a kid unsupervised access to whatever and they'll turn lovely. First it was video games, then computers/internet now the moral panic is about cell phones. If you're doing your job as a parent you shouldn't be giving your kid a phone with data access, wifi only, and then with parental blocks on it. And obviously limiting their screen time.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Idk Happy tree friends were a highlight of my edgy childhood.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Teenagers are dumb but actual children are developmentally incapable of dealing with sophisticated marketing and other such bullshit and really should be protected from it. Especially also things like sexual content.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Mnoba posted:

i'll take my 3 daughters phones away before bed tonight just to be an rear end in a top hat if anyone gives me a good reason to show them

Tbh they (and everyone else for that matter) shouldn’t be using them before bed anyways; it fucks with sleep

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
i hope the apple vs android camp devolves into a crips vs bloods rivalry

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
No phone because my 10 year old nephew arguing to a room full of people that he needs a smart phone because "all of you have one" (A room full of adult professionals) was one of the funniest things I have ever seen as far as petulant aggravation goes.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Three Olives posted:

No phone because my 10 year old nephew arguing to a room full of people that he needs a smart phone because "all of you have one" (A room full of adult professionals) was one of the funniest things I have ever seen as far as petulant aggravation goes.

Hm yes good job owning a literal child behind his back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

givepatajob posted:

If it will shut them the gently caress up, give them all the phones.

Pretty much. Everyone always says "I'm not even going to let my children know technology exists until the age of 18" until the kid has been screaming for five hours straight and you'll do anything to get them to stop.