Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

listen if you cant control your kids send them to boarding school

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

numberoneposter posted:

listen if you cant control your kids send them to boarding school

And why not send them to a Catholic Hollywood gymnastics program too lol

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Sjs00 posted:

Dude as someone who's been in highschool more recently than you just lol if you think kids will stop vaping and getting pregnant on Snapchat in school

We could stop it if we just started to egregiously violate their civil rights. Just have the parents sign a waiver signing all their rights away, most of them won't even read it.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Moridin920 posted:

It's almost like parents just need to put some time and effort into paying attention to their kid and making sure everything is done in moderation. Good for you.

I swear sometimes this stuff all reads like "we're angry that the phones/TV/screens aren't raising our children properly for us" like yeah and why would you expect them to? Especially in this capitalist hellfuck society? It would have been terrible for a kid in the 70s to do nothing but sit in front of a TV and get ignored, too.

Moreso than access to phones/screens, I worry that more and more families need both parents working a least one job to make ends meet because then who is raising the kid? The daycare center's underpaid employees?

Yeah, everything I've observed seems to suggest that it's not a matter of "screen" vs. "no screen", but of "actually getting involved in your kids' lives and guiding them towards constructive activities" vs. "blurting out rules and then going off to do your own thing".

The problem there is that between housing prices, and healthcare, it's gotten to where a dual incomes are, for much of the US population, pretty much necessary to raise a child within reasonable financial security.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

FactsAreUseless posted:

I can't tell if this is serious but I see people say this poo poo seriously all the time.

no it was a joke

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Cockmaster posted:

Yeah, everything I've observed seems to suggest that it's not a matter of "screen" vs. "no screen", but of "actually getting involved in your kids' lives and guiding them towards constructive activities" vs. "blurting out rules and then going off to do your own thing".

The problem there is that between housing prices, and healthcare, it's gotten to where a dual incomes are, for much of the US population, pretty much necessary to raise a child within reasonable financial security.

This is by design. Media control to control the population by getting to them when they're children. You want to get the parents out of the picture so that the media can do its thing

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Give the kid phone don't make him a weirdo, everyone else's kid got phone/baby tabletd. Its tyoolas 2018.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
My child will be trained from a young age to become the Dark Souls 3 All Bosses speedrunner I could never be

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Give the kid phone don't make him a weirdo, everyone else's kid got phone/baby tabletd. Its tyoolas 2018.

It all the kids jumped off a bridge would u push ur kid off one??????

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Tolkien minority posted:

It all the kids jumped off a bridge would u push ur kid off one??????

That expression was old and tired before iphones even existed.

Posting from my phone, like a norm... oh

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

posting from my desktop computer in 2018

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
during my teaching masters there was a whole bunch of research literature that pointed out that young kids who were getting a lot of 'screen time' (what a phrase) on smart devices were basically being permanently stunted by the time they hit primary school in regards to interpersonal skills like recognising facial expressions, body language, tone of voice, and so on. additionally, things like being able to concentrate and focus on task for an extended period of time. it's having a pretty detrimental effect but i think people have only begun to see it and realize it over the past few years just because it's happened so quickly and kids take time to grow up.

by the time they're teens, it's probably okay. at least, it's more okay. but kids getting on screens basically from birth is bad news.

the problem is that this stuff has penetrated into our lives to such an extent that it was ludicrous even just ten years ago that by barring your kid, or even just restricting them, they're going to face different sorts of problems.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

during my teaching masters there was a whole bunch of research literature that pointed out that young kids who were getting a lot of 'screen time' (what a phrase) on smart devices were basically being permanently stunted by the time they hit primary school in regards to interpersonal skills like recognising facial expressions, body language, tone of voice, and so on. additionally, things like being able to concentrate and focus on task for an extended period of time. it's having a pretty detrimental effect but i think people have only begun to see it and realize it over the past few years just because it's happened so quickly and kids take time to grow up.

by the time they're teens, it's probably okay. at least, it's more okay. but kids getting on screens basically from birth is bad news.

the problem is that this stuff has penetrated into our lives to such an extent that it was ludicrous even just ten years ago that by barring your kid, or even just restricting them, they're going to face different sorts of problems.

Sooo the generation after millennials is going to be called Autismals

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

feelix posted:

My child will be trained from a young age to become the Dark Souls 3 All Bosses speedrunner I could never be

My kid will beat their time at SL 10

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Most goons grew up with the World Wide Web (WWW) serving as their only friend, both parents (dads), and sexual education teacher, and it's safe to say that they all turned out fine.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

The right phone is as important as the right shoes and right hoodie in the war for teenage popularity. Give your kids the weapons they need or set up their prom date with their ugly cousin now.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Szyznyk posted:

The right phone is as important as the right shoes and right hoodie in the war for teenage popularity. Give your kids the weapons they need or set up their prom date with their ugly cousin now.

this is why i'm still keeping around my old nokia 3310

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i lie, i had a 3210 :negative:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Szyznyk posted:

partially true, i did get more friends when I always had the newest razr and sweetest jncos+airwalks, but I still got turned down for prom. What gives.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Szyznyk posted:

Give your kids the weapons they need or set up their prom date with their ugly cousin now.

Prav posted:

this is why i'm still keeping around my old nokia 3310

She looks nasty but gets the job done?

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Dec 13, 2018

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

TheMostFrench posted:

She looks nasty but gets the job done?

let's just say that you can play snake with it

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

Szyznyk posted:

Or teach them to not participate in the cynical race to the bottom?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Zombiepop posted:

Or teach them to not participate in the cynical race to the bottom?

drat good idea I'll just teach my teenage son GBS nihilism

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

who couldbe possibly foreseen this

(the answer is anyone thats not a loving moron)

(everyones a loving moron)

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

ive had the thought that people who played lots of lovely 90s 3d console video games where the character doesnt even have an animation for their mouth when they talk would be susceptible to a similar kind of lack of social awareness

thankfully deus ex was my most formative gaming experience with fully animated facial features and rich dialogue trees

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

god i wanna die

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

numberoneposter posted:

ive had the thought that people who played lots of lovely 90s 3d console video games where the character doesnt even have an animation for their mouth when they talk would be susceptible to a similar kind of lack of social awareness

thankfully deus ex was my most formative gaming experience with fully animated facial features and rich dialogue trees

I feel there could be a correlation/causation issue. I play far too many video games but was definitely socially broken before I even knew they existed so :shrug:

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
I didn't have a smartphone until 2 years ago and I still ended up being a mentally ill loser :shrug:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I think we should have stuck with flip phones instead of making them only-touchscreen tablets. Keep them "smart" or whatever, but the flip open/close to answer/hang up is a lot safer when driving than trying to find the answer/hangup buttons.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I think we should have stuck with flip phones instead of making them only-touchscreen tablets. Keep them "smart" or whatever, but the flip open/close to answer/hang up is a lot safer when driving than trying to find the answer/hangup buttons.

In Asia Android flipphones are still a thing

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

when im done with my conversation i dramatically throw my phone into the ocean

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Pitdragon posted:

i know someone who's parents didn't let him watch TV growing up and he's socially maladjusted, extremely naive, and spends all his free time watching anime and playing videogames. his family is lamenting this on account of the fact that he is in his 30's and has opted to do nothing but that as opposed to anything else, he has no interest in things besides his work, anime, and videogames. he makes decent money, doesn't spend it on anything besides fast food, video games, video game peripherals, and anime. he's the only son and now the family name dies with him.

gently caress you, jeff. you're just jealous of my zen-anime lifestyle

Spagghentleman
Jan 1, 2013
Kids are stupid weird fucks whether they have access to the internet or not.

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum
My kids don’t watch tv or have tablets. Of course they both know every god damned paw patrol character by osmosis just from hanging around with other kids.

Fiddler on the Reef
Apr 29, 2011

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

My kids don’t watch tv or have tablets. Of course they both know every god damned paw patrol character by osmosis just from hanging around with other kids.

:same:

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

My 4 year old goes to an in home daycare at our neighbor’s across the street and for the most part it’s really great.

Their house has an Alexa and the kids use it to play music on demand (presumably with supervision) ala “Alexa play Baby Shark”. Yesterday she came home and asked me to play the “ginger” song on my phone. Turns out she asked Alexa for Timber by Ke$ha and Pitbull and got a parody called Ginger by Rucka Rucka Ali instead.

https://youtu.be/5-DiLfhKYZ0

I’m paying $900 a month so that my daughter can eat lunch after 4K, take a nap, and listen to terrible parodies of brain rot songs. gently caress me.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
One of the schools here has one of those multipocketed sheets by the door of each classroom and supposedly the kids all have to dump their phones in it on their way into the class. I don't know if it works or is enforced though, just heard one of the people I play poker with talking about his kids being mad about it.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Not if hes gonna play lovely birds or whatever waste of time.

He shows me he has a strong clientele to whom we could sell all sorts of household appliances then we'll talk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Religious taboos need to come back so it can be taboo to use anything more advanced than a flipphone.