Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I'm looking at the Krait or Python as my next ship, because I guess I can't spend my space bucks fast enough. I love those multi-purpose ships.

I was running rescue missions yesterday and had two passengers on the same trip complain they weren't getting to the rescue ship fast enough. Maybe FD will put in a "Dump Passenger" button if I ask nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Made it out to a guardian site. For the module blueprints, you don't need to get a key from another system, but a relic onsite, right?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

iospace posted:

Made it out to a guardian site. For the module blueprints, you don't need to get a key from another system, but a relic onsite, right?

So I'm told. Assuming of course that it's one of the smaller sites and not a larger Ruin, those specifically spawn fighter bloops.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I'll try ironic mining with my corvette when I get back to the Bubble... :getin:

Ironic mining says the person in the ironic explroation vette :thunk:

Next thing you'll say is that you can fit a lot of passenger cabins on it too and it's great for hauling a shitload of refugees too. it is

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Hey guys, I looking to get back into this after not playing since (I think) before the first expansion.

Dusted off my old Cobra MK III from storage and figured I'd do some exploration to get back into the swing of things. I've bought a planetary scanner, but shouldn't there be a standard exploration scanner? Seem to remember there being one. Haven't seen one in the couple of stations I've visited.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

Hey guys, I looking to get back into this after not playing since (I think) before the first expansion.

Dusted off my old Cobra MK III from storage and figured I'd do some exploration to get back into the swing of things. I've bought a planetary scanner, but shouldn't there be a standard exploration scanner? Seem to remember there being one. Haven't seen one in the couple of stations I've visited.

The old standard scanner has been made integral in all ships. It's the FSS system now. You still need to honk, but those huge rear end systems with a gas giant and moons 100k LS away orbiting another star is scanable from the entry point! It's great.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

The latest patch made the discovery scanner standard equipment

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I'll try ironic mining with my corvette when I get back to the Bubble... :getin:

I bought my first Fed Corvette yesterday exactly for this reason. As far as I can tell its the best current mining ship, combining the ability to mount all needed mining accessories with the bonus of being able to keep to huge mount points for defense. The only downside is that you'll run out of mining ammo far before you ever hit storage capacity. Limpets are so abundant that I'll send them single use missions.

I made a lot of money in Elite around a year and a half ago and then quit playing after burning out on the early parts of the engineering grind. Now I've got some time dig in.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

AttackBacon posted:

Also, should I ever bother vacuuming up the debris from a dead ship? I have no idea if that stuff is useful.

get the level 4 and level 5 materials, but dont bother with the rest

AttackBacon posted:

I flew headfirst into the nearest set of planetary rings I could find and quickly realized that you have to buy limpets manually. One round trip later and I was ready to go.

i feel like this is just bad game design, but someones ego at fdev forces them to keep limpets as cargo that you have to click thru submenus to buy or even know about

AttackBacon posted:

haven't engaged at all with the more meta-progression stuff (Engineers, Tech Brokers, and factions/Powerplay I guess?). When is a good time to start working some of that stuff in? Also, I've found a fair few resources online, but I'm still having a hard time knowing where to go for a lot of things. I'm sure I could be a lot more efficient in all my activities, I'm just not quite sure what tools/resources I should be using to get there, or even how to use them effectively.

Game is hella sweet though.

The most accessible upgrades are unlocked by checking out the guardian ruins, you don't need a fancy ship to do that. Details are in the OP

Before you do that, it would be wise to upgrade your FSD range. I advise using a ship with a 5A FSD or 4A FSD, because those can be swapped into other ships with the best range potential.

Then unlock this engineer https://inara.cz/galaxy-engineer/1/

If you have the required exploration rank, fly to Darnielle's Progress in the Maia system and buy a Meta-Alloy for about 115k cr.

When you return with the meta-alloy, you will be able to upgrade your FSD using the materials listed here: https://inara.cz/galaxy-blueprint/2/

After your FSD range is maxxed out, you will have a much easier time getting to the various guardian ruins to unlock sweet alien tech

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Alright, yet another link:

EDRefCard - Allows you to submit your bindings file to generate a quick "what button does what, again?" visual aid.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Haven’t played yet this patch, how many functions do I need to find new keybindings for?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
you need something to switch between combat and analysis cockpit modes and something to enter fss mode. there are new subsections for fss and for planet scanning, but these binds are allowed to overlap with existing binds outside those subsections

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Haven’t played yet this patch, how many functions do I need to find new keybindings for?

Let's see, at least from my experience:

-You need a mode switch keybind, to go from combat to analysis mode
-You need a "enter FSS mode" key bind, to go to FSS mode
--You need to set up all the FSS mode keybinds
-You need to set up the discovery scanner mode keybinds

And I think that's it.

Helianthus Annuus posted:

you need something to switch between combat and analysis cockpit modes and something to enter fss mode. there are new subsections for fss and for planet scanning, but these binds are allowed to overlap with existing binds outside those subsections

Also this

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I just checked and Maia is over 60 jumps away, so... not going to be doing that whole "engineering" thing.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

oops, citing my source: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/375648-FSD-Malfunction-Neutron-Jumping-Question/

and the reason im inclined to trust that guy is because of this effortpost on the 2nd page, which shows him to be way into this game's mechanics. can i just say that this forum poster seems cool and i want to be his friend, but he has a furry av, and im more scared of that than i am of neutron stars now

He didn't jump enough, or the behavior of heavier ships is different, then: During the ca. two years I spend in the black with my Imperial Cutter, I had at least two massive FSD-malfunctions dropping me out of supercruise and sending my ship spinning.

My FSD was never below 90%.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

I just checked and Maia is over 60 jumps away, so... not going to be doing that whole "engineering" thing.

lol 60 jumps is nothing, you are like little babby :smug:

I remember when Maia (or even Sol lol) seemed like it was an impossible distance away...then i went there, and kept on going to the California nebula, and Maia didn't seem so bad anymore. Then i went to the Formadine rift, which was around 24,000 light years round trip, and took me 9 months to finish (i scanned drat near everything i found). And that's nothing compared to the people going to Colonia (though i guess the neutron star highway helps with that now), or Sagittarius A, or across the galaxy :trumppop:

if you ever get into exploration you'll encounter some real space madness

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

iospace posted:

Alright, yet another link:

EDRefCard - Allows you to submit your bindings file to generate a quick "what button does what, again?" visual aid.

That's actually pretty cool, although it doesn't take into account that you can have the rocker on the back of the Hotas X's throttle also bound to yaw

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I did 162 jumps in two days. It helps to have someone on the other screen to do, like twitch, netflix, etc. It used to be "oh hey, read forums while traveling between worlds" with the old system, but given how quick the new system is for exploration, it's tougher.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Rah! posted:

lol 60 jumps is nothing, you are like little babby :smug:

It's not just that it's 60 jumps, but that it's 60 jumps to buy a single item and then come all the way back. I'm a filthy casual so the thought of using what little time I have to play doing this is unappealing.

But I'm used to games gating most of the content behind this sort of obstacle, so it's not a new experience. I just have to skim off what's available to people like me.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

It's not just that it's 60 jumps, but that it's 60 jumps to buy a single item and then come all the way back. I'm a filthy casual so the thought of using what little time I have to play doing this is unappealing.

But I'm used to games gating most of the content behind this sort of obstacle, so it's not a new experience. I just have to skim off what's available to people like me.

im outside the bubble, otherwise i would just bring one to you

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

It's not just that it's 60 jumps, but that it's 60 jumps to buy a single item and then come all the way back

lol :frontear:

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Dick Trauma posted:

Farseer is one option of two for starting engineers with level 5 jump range mods. Elvira is actually the better one for newbies to start with. The unlock is way easier.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

He didn't jump enough, or the behavior of heavier ships is different, then: During the ca. two years I spend in the black with my Imperial Cutter, I had at least two massive FSD-malfunctions dropping me out of supercruise and sending my ship spinning.

My FSD was never below 90%.

lmk if it happens to you again, and i'll do the same if it happens to me.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

iospace posted:

I did 162 jumps in two days. It helps to have someone on the other screen to do, like twitch, netflix, etc. It used to be "oh hey, read forums while traveling between worlds" with the old system, but given how quick the new system is for exploration, it's tougher.

This is where VR shines, I can pull a netflix window into the game and position it like I have a screen mounted in the cockpit. Feels like something you'd have in there too, so doesn't even break immersion.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm currently 1k LY out from Frog space, doing guardian FSD stuff.

Enos Cabell posted:

This is where VR shines, I can pull a netflix window into the game and position it like I have a screen mounted in the cockpit. Feels like something you'd have in there too, so doesn't even break immersion.

Nice! Didn't know you could do that!

I'd love to try VR but I'm afraid I'd get sick :smith:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

im outside the bubble, otherwise i would just bring one to you

I have been shamed. I will make the trip. I guess I can strip most everything out of the ship to get more range on the jumps, and do a d scan to make some money from it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dick Trauma posted:

I have been shamed. I will make the trip. I guess I can strip most everything out of the ship to get more range on the jumps, and do a d scan to make some money from it.

Use a hauler: https://s.orbis.zone/18dn

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

iospace posted:

I'm currently 1k LY out from Frog space, doing guardian FSD stuff.

Nice! Didn't know you could do that!

I'd love to try VR but I'm afraid I'd get sick :smith:

If you get the chance I'd say try it out. Cockpit style games are the easiest to handle in VR, because you've got fixed reference points, so it's not as disorienting.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I'm a little confused as to how exploration works. I use the FSD and follow the signals but everything I come across has already been discovered since I'm close to the starting area. When I go to a station I have the option of selling cartographic data even though it was all stuff that had been discovered. I'm not gonna complain because I got 200k for some systems but I'm not exactly sure what I'm selling lol.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 15, 2018

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Dick Trauma posted:

Mind you, thargoid presence is very hot right now out in that sector and there is a very high chance this might happen to you:
https://youtu.be/jbCyGYu13y0

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
Bought Elite: Dangerous on sale. Did the tutorial missions up to the combat one, at which point the first aggressively hostile ship (the second ship in the first combat mission), smoked me thoroughly about 10 times in a row so I just said gently caress it and decided to skip the rest of the tutorial. Jumped in, took a mission to deliver some stuff to... somewhere. Farted around for a bout 30 minutes trying to figure out the UI and eventually managed to plot a course to the system I needed to deliver the shipment of t-shirt cannons or whatever to. I got halfway there and remembered that fuel was a thing and about 3 seconds after that the UI warned me that my "main tank" was empty so hey I guess there's reserve tanks or something. Fart around in the UI for another 10 minutes and find that I'm not far from a thing that might be a space station, maybe I can fuel there? So I fly there. Turns out it's an factory or something and either I can't fuel there or I don't know how. Did some googling and found out that a fuel scoop is a thing. I don't know if I have one and I don't know how to find out so I guess I'll just fly over to a star and see what happens. Apparently either I don't have one or I'm doing it wrong, so... plan B. Maybe I have enough fuel to make it to a proper port? I pull up the map and jump to the next system. Oooooh sweet there is a port here! I set course. I overjump like 3 times and eventually do it right and am slightly behind the docking entryway thingy on the startport. I get lined up and throttle up to enter and promptly run out of fuel and spend the next 3 minutes trying to figure out how to self destruct.

The really amazing thing here is that I really enjoyed that whole thing and am looking forward to more dumb space adventures

E: just finally got to my destination after a 20 minute docking attempt and was all set to drop off my items when I found out that I never actually picked up the items in the first place

nominal fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 15, 2018

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
:cheers: I'm envious of you, because I can never learn to play Elite for the first time again.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I realized watching this you're on my xbox friends list for who knows how long. I have ED on the Bone but hardly ever play it that way, but add me anyway for some wing-dying fun. GT: Nostratic

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

nominal posted:

Bought Elite: Dangerous on sale. Did the tutorial missions up to the combat one, at which point the first aggressively hostile ship (the second ship in the first combat mission), smoked me thoroughly about 10 times in a row so I just said gently caress it and decided to skip the rest of the tutorial. Jumped in, took a mission to deliver some stuff to... somewhere. Farted around for a bout 30 minutes trying to figure out the UI and eventually managed to plot a course to the system I needed to deliver the shipment of t-shirt cannons or whatever to. I got halfway there and remembered that fuel was a thing and about 3 seconds after that the UI warned me that my "main tank" was empty so hey I guess there's reserve tanks or something. Fart around in the UI for another 10 minutes and find that I'm not far from a thing that might be a space station, maybe I can fuel there? So I fly there. Turns out it's an factory or something and either I can't fuel there or I don't know how. Did some googling and found out that a fuel scoop is a thing. I don't know if I have one and I don't know how to find out so I guess I'll just fly over to a star and see what happens. Apparently either I don't have one or I'm doing it wrong, so... plan B. Maybe I have enough fuel to make it to a proper port? I pull up the map and jump to the next system. Oooooh sweet there is a port here! I set course. I overjump like 3 times and eventually do it right and am slightly behind the docking entryway thingy on the startport. I get lined up and throttle up to enter and promptly run out of fuel and spend the next 3 minutes trying to figure out how to self destruct.

The really amazing thing here is that I really enjoyed that whole thing and am looking forward to more dumb space adventures

The best tip for newbies is to bind a key to 75%(or was it 70%?) throttle and to press that key when you're about 7 seconds away from your destination. It will automatically reduce your speed so you can drop out of supercruise and never overshoot your destination again

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

nominal posted:

For future reference, Fuel Rats are a thing and they especially enjoy pulling newbies' asses out of the fire.

https://fuelrats.com/

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Elderbean posted:

I'm a little confused as to how exploration works. I use the FSD and follow the signals but everything I come across has already been discovered since I'm close to the starting area. When I go to a station I have the option of selling cartographic data even though it was all stuff that had been discovered. I'm not gonna complain because I got 200k for some systems but I'm not exactly sure what I'm selling lol.
You get a bonus for first discovered, and also your name immortalised. The game is four years old though, so there's nothing left to discover.

Just kidding. The galaxy is less than 1% explored. A hundred billion star systems is such a stupidly loving big number it'd literally take generations of gamers to fully map the game.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Away all Goats posted:

The best tip for newbies is to bind a key to 75%(or was it 70%?) throttle and to press that key when you're about 7 seconds away from your destination. It will automatically reduce your speed so you can drop out of supercruise and never overshoot your destination again

75% and holy poo poo yes. You can smack the 75% button whenever you want (closer to 7s out is better but it will eventually even out), ignore throttle, and pay attention to lining up with the mail slot.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

lmk if it happens to you again, and i'll do the same if it happens to me.

Sure, but while my engineering-plan is steadily progressing, it'll take me probably until January-February at the earliest before I'll set out for the Void again. And this time it'll be in a Krait Phantom, because my big dumb white whale stays at home. After two years I'm kind of fed up with dragging a Cutter everywhere.

No idea too if I still remember this if it happens 1 year from now on the other side of the galaxy. :v:

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

:cheers: I'm envious of you, because I can never learn to play Elite for the first time again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

Mike the TV posted:

Farseer is one option of two for starting engineers with level 5 jump range mods. Elvira is actually the better one for newbies to start with. The unlock is way easier.

mike's right, Elvira is easier. i didnt think about that. but you can get the g3 thruster upgrades from Farseer, so I'd say to do it eventually just because its more fun to go fast