Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grashnak
Apr 30, 2006

Oven Wrangler

LiterallyATomato posted:

Want to get into combat. Have 60 million credits or so to spend. Ship recommendation? FerDeLance?

I'd definitely recommend getting a Vulture. With 60m you can just barely scrape an A rated Chieftain or Federal Assoult Ship but your problem then will be that you've only got a single rebuy for it. You can buy a fully A rated Vulture for around 20m which means you'll have plenty of leeway to get blown up a few times without having to worry about not having the cash for a rebuy.

A Vulture is plenty good enough to go bounty hunting with.

Blindeye posted:

So, I am currently chilling by a guardian structure to farm that sweet sweet info. Aside from the guardian FSD and the Guardian Shield booster, any other "must have" guardian modules?

This is tedious enough that I am not going to do this for everything.

I'm pretty sure that even the shield booster isn't worth it. I've only ever used the FSD booster myself. I beleive that the fighters and maybe the gauss weapon are good if you want to fight Thargoids and the rest is just worse than normal modules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The FSD booster is the only truly must-have Guardian tech. If you ever feel like going bug hunting, the gauss cannon is pretty important. The module protection unit is also handy to have in certain builds. The shard cannon is OK, and the fighters (mostly the Lance because it has gauss guns) are fun to fly though they have criminally low ammo caps and require even more grinding than other Guardian tech. Everything else is somewhere on a scale of meh to literal garbage.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Grashnak posted:

I'd definitely recommend getting a Vulture. With 60m you can just barely scrape an A rated Chieftain or Federal Assoult Ship but your problem then will be that you've only got a single rebuy for it. You can buy a fully A rated Vulture for around 20m which means you'll have plenty of leeway to get blown up a few times without having to worry about not having the cash for a rebuy.

A Vulture is plenty good enough to go bounty hunting with.

I'm pretty sure that even the shield booster isn't worth it. I've only ever used the FSD booster myself. I beleive that the fighters and maybe the gauss weapon are good if you want to fight Thargoids and the rest is just worse than normal modules.

Doesn't the gauss cannon require weird ammo you have to farm guardian sites to rearm them?

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Maybe if you reload while in space but you can just buy the ammo at a station like any other gun.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Blindeye posted:

So, I am currently chilling by a guardian structure to farm that sweet sweet info. Aside from the guardian FSD and the Guardian Shield booster, any other "must have" guardian modules?

This is tedious enough that I am not going to do this for everything.

guardian fsd booster is outstanding
c2 fixed gauss cannon is good
gauss guardian fighter (XG9 Lance) is good

the other guardian weapons and fighters are hard to use, and they dont do much damage, so skip em

and the rest of the modules are not-as-good as engineered modules, so skip em unless you plan to never do engineering

Grashnak posted:

I'd definitely recommend getting a Vulture.

i concur, you need those c3 hardpoints to get enough DPS against larger ships in PvE

and 60m isnt enough to get anything better

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle

Blindeye posted:

Doesn't the gauss cannon require weird ammo you have to farm guardian sites to rearm them?

This is if you want to synthesise 'premium' ammo for them, which isn't necessary if you stick to Cyclops / Basilisk Thargoids (or fight in a wing, if Braben blesses you).

The reason people bother to synth is AX combat was nominally designed to be wing content, but wings bug their hearts a lot of the time and spacegame nerds are very antisocial so end up soloing the higher end flowers. This is impossible to achieve without synthesising a bit, and longer to achieve without premium synth on your gauss. Fights can last upwards of 30 minutes, sometimes up to multiple hours long, and involve a lot of kiting and synth of repair limpets, heatsinks and ammo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE2QyA7eF24 not suggesting you watch this video but scrolling your mouse along it should show how much of the fight is spent in the right hand panel - this person has deliberately chosen to fight in a small ship which partially accounts for why it's 3 hours long, but the basic principles are the same in larger ships.

There's a lot to like about Thargoid fights, visuals and audio are stunning, it has some interesting mechanics and AX players with more patience than me do some impressive stuff... but the idea of grinding for synthesis and regularly disengaging to freely replenish health and ammo is a no-go for me.

If wings were more reliable it'd be pretty cool.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

LiterallyATomato posted:

Want to get into combat. Have 60 million credits or so to spend. Ship recommendation? FerDeLance?

Chieftain, great(est?) starter ship

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008
It's been well over a year since I last played, my favorite thing was being a hatch breaking pirate but they nerfed it/changed some poo poo regarding shooting out power plants/drives a while back and ruined pirating which I why I lost interest.

With all the new features, is this viable again? Or does shooting power plants and drives still not disable a ship? Have they added anything that would scratch that pirate itch?

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
man its dumb as gently caress that theres like 6 different types of limpet controllers that i have to swap in and out of my ship depending on what i want to do. just make it one module that can do everything.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Kuvo posted:

man its dumb as gently caress that theres like 6 different types of limpet controllers that i have to swap in and out of my ship depending on what i want to do. just make it one module that can do everything.

Elite Dangerous: Limpet Control Freaks

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle

NJersey posted:

It's been well over a year since I last played, my favorite thing was being a hatch breaking pirate but they nerfed it/changed some poo poo regarding shooting out power plants/drives a while back and ruined pirating which I why I lost interest.

With all the new features, is this viable again? Or does shooting power plants and drives still not disable a ship? Have they added anything that would scratch that pirate itch?

Nope. Shooting drives disables the ship but sets it drifting, you need to bump them to a stop manually before you can reliably hatchbreak, which is difficult/laborious to do without either sending it spinning off in a new direction, or killing it. Also there are very few systems that reliably spawn valuable cargo traders. Frog, one of our systems, is apparently still spawning LTDs, but not consistently by some accounts and LTD prices were nerfed.

It's a bad time for PvE piracy, in short.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Kuvo posted:

It's little things like this that make me chuckle when people say this game is a "simulation". If it were actually a simulation of space ships 1000+ years into the future, not only would these controllers be instantly re-programmable assuming there was anything imaginable they weren't able to do already anyway (and 128 tons for a computer that can manage 7 drones and nothing else? lol), but everything about flying the ship would be 100% automated, combat included, and stations would blast you to atoms if you so much as attempted to fly manually within 10km of them. Too much risk of a drunken idiot running into the side and killing thousands / millions of people and causing 100s of billions of credits in damage.

I mean, poo poo, they don't even let you fly commercial jets under manual control at cruising altitude and afaik they're introducing no-humans-involved emergency landing capability to some models of private corpo jets within the next year. We're already flying airframes as advanced as these space ships, or moreso.

Don't get me wrong, it's still loads of fun to take the wheel and pew pew at people, which is the whole point of playing it. But essentially nothing about E:D makes a lick of sense as a simulation except under the vaguest and broadest of definitions.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Yeah, the game's narrative would be improved by some kind of in-universe explanation for why none of this is automated

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Or why tritium isn't produced by specialized breeder reactors, one of which would be integral to every fleet carrier and they would refuel themselves by fuel scooping stars.

Or they'd use helium-3 fusion instead with gigantic fuel farms on gas giants.

The devs have implemented some of these systems really, really stupidly. Mining ice rings for tritium? What idiot even came up with that nonsense?

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
They make the mechanic first and then put random names on stuff

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

smug jeebus posted:

Yeah, the game's narrative would be improved by some kind of in-universe explanation for why none of this is automated

Yeah, cuz AI is banned LOL

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

AI is always banned in the distant future! Everybody lazily cribbing off Frank Herbert, I tell you. :colbert:

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
In Frank Herbert's universe, computers were banned because their existence sapped the value of the human mind or something. In the Elite universe, AI is banned because it's fun to fly ships and press buttons. People just wanted to use HOTAS and press buttons.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it
I've dicked around with this game on and off, but when I was last playing it 2 or so years ago, I was very much a beginner and mainly helping out Space Cops at resource extraction zones to claim bounties on stuff they were shooting (and generally feeling like a narc but this was the only way I felt I could do combat and not die). At some point back then I moved up to a Vulture with starter-level stuff on it, and I also have an Imperial Courier I mainly bought because it looks cool and because I got enough Empire rep for them to let me have one.

Lately I've been blasting space rocks for LTDs/opals/bromellite/whatever and making much, much more money than I used to (I'm using a Keelback, which is probably not ideal for this, but I like trying to figure that poo poo out on my own instead of immediately looking up optimal builds). Anyway my question is: now that I'm capable of going from a lifetime savings of 25m to 50m in one day if I get lucky, what should I next set my sights on progression-wise? I wouldn't mind a more consistent way to make money and I'm not sure if this is better achieved with hauling trade goods in very large amounts or exploring huge distances or carrying passengers or what. Mining is great, obviously, but it sucks to fly around and prospect 8 or 10 icy rocks in a row that I'm positive are motherlodes and then they all contain water and hydrogen peroxide or whatever. Just as a change of pace, I'd like the option to spend an hour on a thing and consistently come away with a reasonable hour's worth of profit instead of finding myself still sitting in a planetary ring getting mad at rocks

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Also why I do need an entire slot for supercruise assist when the ship probably would just come with it since it's loving space.

And why I need to use another slot for a docking computer which again....

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

anime tupac posted:

I've dicked around with this game on and off, but when I was last playing it 2 or so years ago, I was very much a beginner and mainly helping out Space Cops at resource extraction zones to claim bounties on stuff they were shooting (and generally feeling like a narc but this was the only way I felt I could do combat and not die). At some point back then I moved up to a Vulture with starter-level stuff on it, and I also have an Imperial Courier I mainly bought because it looks cool and because I got enough Empire rep for them to let me have one.

Lately I've been blasting space rocks for LTDs/opals/bromellite/whatever and making much, much more money than I used to (I'm using a Keelback, which is probably not ideal for this, but I like trying to figure that poo poo out on my own instead of immediately looking up optimal builds). Anyway my question is: now that I'm capable of going from a lifetime savings of 25m to 50m in one day if I get lucky, what should I next set my sights on progression-wise? I wouldn't mind a more consistent way to make money and I'm not sure if this is better achieved with hauling trade goods in very large amounts or exploring huge distances or carrying passengers or what. Mining is great, obviously, but it sucks to fly around and prospect 8 or 10 icy rocks in a row that I'm positive are motherlodes and then they all contain water and hydrogen peroxide or whatever. Just as a change of pace, I'd like the option to spend an hour on a thing and consistently come away with a reasonable hour's worth of profit instead of finding myself still sitting in a planetary ring getting mad at rocks

Kit out an Asp Explorer or a Krait Phantom with a detailed surface scanner, an extra gas tank, and as much jump range as you can manage, then go explore some stuff.

Make a guardian FSD booster to get more range (see https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/walkthrough-guardian-module-blueprints.438289/) and engineer your FSD a bit.

Once you're hopping around scanning things, you can use road to riches (https://www.spansh.co.uk/riches) to find valuable stuff to scan, or just get a ways out of the bubble and start looking for unexplored systems.

I find exploration really relaxing, but YMMV.

EDIT: Just to be clear, you won't make nearly as many spacebux as you do mining, but it's a lot more interesting.

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 28, 2020

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Is this difficult? It sounds difficult.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

So, being someone newly space-rich, I've been padding out my fleet for PvE good times. Right now I have he following:

Python with a general mining kit
Asp Explorer with a 66LY build for going to Guardian sites and the like since it's small enough to land in tricky spots.
Krait Phantom built out for deep space exploration (double SRVs, double AFMU, I am debating adding a Xeno scanner - do you want that on an exploration build?)
Vulture - pure combat build
Federal Corvette - only partly fitted out, not really sure what build I'll use for it yet so it's gonna sit tight for a while.

I still have 660million credits to play with and I'm debating getting a dedicated hazrez combat build. I've narrowed it down to four:

FAS
Chieftain
Krait Mk II.
FDL

Obviously FDLs kitted to shield tank are the meta, but I'd appreciate input since I am relative inexperienced in combat; is going straight to an FDL wise, or should I instead build out one of the other options. I am not leaning toward the Krait MkII because I haven't really used fighters.

On any of these builds I'd expect to have it kitted with efficient beams or burst lasers for shields, and multicannons with a mix of autoloading/corrosive rounds.

Alternatively, since this is PvE, I just go all in on the Corvette; can these be used with other Frogs to do wing assassination missions, or are medium ships recommended instead?

Blindeye fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 29, 2020

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

LiterallyATomato posted:

It sounds really complicated, but I managed it first try, and I'm not particularly good at video games.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

a foolish pianist posted:

not particularly good at video games.

Hey, that's me! Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

LiterallyATomato posted:

It's not, only the layout of ruins might be confusing at first, the enemies are joke if you park your ship with point defence nearby, timers are quite generous. It only becomes grindy after a while.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Blindeye posted:

I still have 660million credits to play with and I'm debating getting a dedicated hazrez combat build. I've narrowed it down to four:

FAS
Chieftain
Krait Mk II.
FDL

i vote for the Krait mk2 with the fighter bay. the krait already has pretty good DPS for its size, but once you have a couple human-controlled fighters buzzing around, the DPS is out of control

however, the krait is pretty fragile. thankfully, it can be engineered to boost fast enough to outrun most NPCs

having a multicrew-spec'd krait mk2 is great, because you can get into some instant co-op action with friends, instead of asking them to drive across the galaxy to meet you.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Helianthus Annuus posted:

i vote for the Krait mk2 with the fighter bay. the krait already has pretty good DPS for its size, but once you have a couple human-controlled fighters buzzing around, the DPS is out of control

however, the krait is pretty fragile. thankfully, it can be engineered to boost fast enough to outrun most NPCs

having a multicrew-spec'd krait mk2 is great, because you can get into some instant co-op action with friends, instead of asking them to drive across the galaxy to meet you.

Except my friends have their own ships and aren't too interested in getting into fighters, last I checked. I'm assuming (at least for now) that my builds will all be NPC fighters or no fighters.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
oh really? its way more fun to fly the fighters, at least for me. doesn't pay as good though

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Any suggestions on cheap headtracking. Was going to buy a occulus to get back into elite, but decided a simple headtracking would be better/easier to get.

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 30, 2020

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

ughhhh posted:

my suggestions on cheap headtracking. Was going to buy a occulus to get back into elite, but decided a simple headtracking would be better/easier to get.

TrackIR is pretty sweet. I haven't used a helmet but I don't get motion sickness or anything from a head tracker.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I feel like head tracking must feel weird when you’re craning your head sideways but still side eyeing your monitor to see what’s what. Or am I not picturing that right?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
No, that's very much how it is. I really don't like Track IR personally becasue of that.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
TrackIR is good but not cheap. There's alternatives but not familiar with them.

You can avoid side eying by setting your profile right.

I don't really consider it an immersion hardware like VR though. You're turning your head into a joystick and nothing more. Any immersion is bonus on that idea.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

chaosapiant posted:

I feel like head tracking must feel weird when you’re craning your head sideways but still side eyeing your monitor to see what’s what. Or am I not picturing that right?

Yeah lots of people swear by TrackIR, but I thought it was completely unusable for this reason

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Helianthus Annuus posted:

doesn't pay as good though

They like being the captain of their own ships, but they also are not space-rich because they never tried mining and are averse to it. I'd much rather let them fly what they want and do my own thing in a wing than force them to be my escorts.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

This is the future where they use data tapes and platinum records

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

skooma512 posted:

TrackIR is pretty sweet. I haven't used a helmet but I don't get motion sickness or anything from a head tracker.

so nothing new has come out since trackIR. Was hoping it would have gotten cheaper or some cool DIY solution had been found. At the price point of 150$ waiting for a vr headset seems a better deal since i can use that for other things too.

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jul 30, 2020

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
love to play "am i doing something wrong or is the game broke"

spoilers: its almost always the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I see this happen to materials/containers in signal sources with wreckage as well.