Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

LiterallyATomato posted:

Is this difficult? It sounds difficult.

I just did this first thing after not playing the game for about 4 years or something. Before going out there, don't forget you need:

- an SRV bay
- an SRV to put in it. You have to buy that separately (ask me how I know)
- materials to synthesize extra SRV ammo and maybe fuel and repair.

I actually got the stuff without a reload but it was really loving close. Worth it though, now got an Asp Explorer with a 58ish range and I'm off looking at white dwarfs and neutron stars and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Really wish synthing SRVs was an option. Limpets and thousands of rounds of ammo and whatnot can be synthed.. how hard can a buggy be?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Ambaire posted:

Really wish synthing SRVs was an option. Limpets and thousands of rounds of ammo and whatnot can be synthed.. how hard can a buggy be?

At that point, why not synthing ships and carriers? Oops, you plowed into a planet a trillion light years from home, but lucky you, there's still a couple hundred iron and yttrium in your pockets, time to synth a new ship!

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Libluini posted:

At that point, why not synthing ships and carriers? Oops, you plowed into a planet a trillion light years from home, but lucky you, there's still a couple hundred iron and yttrium in your pockets, time to synth a new ship!

That's a dumb post, and you know it.

Actually, that's an awesome idea.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 2, 2020

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Libluini posted:

Correct, this would be an improvement in some ways.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

GHOST_BUTT posted:

Correct, this would be an improvement in some ways.

Isn't the lore fluff for ship launched fighters that you're 3d printing the additional fighters to replace destroyed ones, and that that's why you can carry like eight of em or whatever? We can carry fighter reloads but not SRV reloads!

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Ferrovanadium posted:

Isn't the lore fluff for ship launched fighters that you're 3d printing the additional fighters to replace destroyed ones, and that that's why you can carry like eight of em or whatever? We can carry fighter reloads but not SRV reloads!

Exactly that

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

you can repair up an SRV from 1%, at that point is it the same SRV???

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Cheen posted:

you can repair up an SRV from 1%, at that point is it the same SRV???
Surface Recon Vehicle of Theseus

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Ferrovanadium posted:

Exactly which is why if you have a carrier it's only logically consistent that you should be able to 3D print condas out of whatever you've got laying around

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I mean, I wouldn't complain if I could copy my Phantom with whatever I have in my backpocket.

It just sounds a bit silly

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's obviously a licensing and DRM thing. Yes, you can have the equipment to make an SRV, but the software arbitrarily bans you from doing it to protect corporate profits.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
avoiding a long trip by combat logging against guardian bots in my SRV

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Ambaire posted:

They all laughed at my Exploraconda with 4 SRV bays. But by damnit I want to feel free to drive like a maniac when I'm in the middle of nowhere and try to launch my SRV into orbit.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Jabor posted:

It's obviously a licensing and DRM thing. Yes, you can have the equipment to make an SRV, but the software arbitrarily bans you from doing it to protect corporate profits.

This is the future we will live in if companies like FDev will continue being profitable :v:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

AntherUslessPoster posted:

This is the future we will live in if companies like FDev will continue being profitable :v:

It's up to us to ensure victory for the good guys, so after 1000 years of Gay Luxury Space Communism everyone in the E:D future who isn't an antisocial rear end in a top hat has access to their own ship-class 3D printer. Then their only limitations will be which ship templates they're able to find on the Internet and getting a big enough LTD asteroid to feed into the printer for the ship you want.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

I'd even go as far as saying that you won't need to search for bp's or LTD. Other people who enjoy making lists would have done plenty of websites with blueprints while others who enjoy mining and chill would have mined all the LTDs you need so you just pick a ship and done!

Mide
Jun 2, 2009
I've been inching closer and closer to buying Elite Dangerous as I've had a lot more free time lately and I'd like to get more use out of my Index. Curious on how the community works within the game? I've always fancied MMOs and large communities who work towards common goals but I'm not sure how that works in this game. If it's similar to WoW or Eve, consider me sold.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mide posted:

I've been inching closer and closer to buying Elite Dangerous as I've had a lot more free time lately and I'd like to get more use out of my Index. Curious on how the community works within the game? I've always fancied MMOs and large communities who work towards common goals but I'm not sure how that works in this game. If it's similar to WoW or Eve, consider me sold.

It doesn't. The game actively attempts to prevent you from working with others. Especially if you're talking at the level of WoW or EVE. The servers fall over if you have more than 10-12 people in the same instance. It can be fun if you like spaceflight sims but if you're looking to scratch an MMO itch this won't do it.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
My joke is that Elite is a single-player game with optional, potentially non-consensual, co-op.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

My joke is that Elite is a single-player game with optional, potentially non-consensual, co-op.

Elite Dangerous: Non-Consensual Co-op

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Any suggestions on where to smuggle to get that engineer that requires 5 smuggling ops done? I practiced entering a starport without being scanned, I just have to find a good place to sell imperial slaves or something.

Grashnak
Apr 30, 2006

Oven Wrangler

LiterallyATomato posted:

Any suggestions on where to smuggle to get that engineer that requires 5 smuggling ops done? I practiced entering a starport without being scanned, I just have to find a good place to sell imperial slaves or something.

The easiest way by far to do it is to take a mission that has cargo, grab 5t, and then abandon the mission. This will mark the goods as stolen and you can sell them anywhere that has a black market. Then just sell 1t to 5 different markets.

As far as getting scanned just pop a heatsink as soon as you get the message about being scanned and you'll be fine. That breaks their targetting and stops the scan.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Grashnak posted:

The easiest way by far to do it is to take a mission that has cargo, grab 5t, and then abandon the mission. This will mark the goods as stolen and you can sell them anywhere that has a black market. Then just sell 1t to 5 different markets.

As far as getting scanned just pop a heatsink as soon as you get the message about being scanned and you'll be fine. That breaks their targetting and stops the scan.

Thanks!

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
important tip to remember when smuggling is that stations always align the mail slot towards the planet they orbit, so drop out of super cruise with that in mind.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Kuvo posted:

important tip to remember when smuggling is that stations always align the mail slot towards the planet they orbit, so drop out of super cruise with that in mind.
Only if you have an incredibly vague definition of "toward" but it doesn't matter because you can see the station's orientation when you have it locked in supercruise :v:

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I keep waiting for a space game that's an unholy mashup of Empyrion Galactic Survival, Space Engineers, Elite: Dangerous, No Man's Sky, and Factorio along with elements of X3 Albion Prelude , but alas I am eternally disappointed.

Imagine hyper jumping all the way to the other side of the galaxy with E:D's ships only to start a Factorio game on a given planet, get an ultra megabase going to build a colony with ship construction facilities. Imagine using freeform building tools such as those in Empyrion and SE to build a new exploration ship that's then fused together to a slick self repairable hull thing compatible with E:D.

Get a fleet of constructors in orbit and have them go mine asteroids for resources and bring them back to the Factorio surface base.

Then program some really complex drones to hyper jump a few thousand lightyears away, look for a suitable star system and repeat all this.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Ambaire posted:

I keep waiting for a space game that's an unholy mashup of Empyrion Galactic Survival, Space Engineers, Elite: Dangerous, No Man's Sky, and Factorio along with elements of X3 Albion Prelude , but alas I am eternally disappointed.

Imagine hyper jumping all the way to the other side of the galaxy with E:D's ships only to start a Factorio game on a given planet, get an ultra megabase going to build a colony with ship construction facilities. Imagine using freeform building tools such as those in Empyrion and SE to build a new exploration ship that's then fused together to a slick self repairable hull thing compatible with E:D.

Get a fleet of constructors in orbit and have them go mine asteroids for resources and bring them back to the Factorio surface base.

Then program some really complex drones to hyper jump a few thousand lightyears away, look for a suitable star system and repeat all this.

That’s pretty much Star Citizen friend! It’s gonna be anything you can imagine! I can’t wait for Star Citizen!

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

chaosapiant posted:

That’s pretty much Star Citizen friend! It’s gonna be anything you can imagine! I can’t wait for Star Citizen!

Heh. Actually, there is one title that sorta-fits that daydream, but it's not available yet and no clue if it'll live up to the hype.

Starbase

quote:

Starbase is a hybrid voxel/vertex-based space MMO with a fully destructible and infinitely expanding universe, with a focus on building and designing spaceships and stations, exploration, resource gathering, crafting, trading, and combat.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

When is star citizen gonna add harspace: ship breaker to the repair mechanic of the game?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Ambaire posted:

You might as well just play these games in sequence for the amount of cohesion a human team using human dollars could achieve putting them into the same .exe

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
That's the Sid Meier rule. Don't put 2 competing games in one.

jboslund
Jan 27, 2009

zedprime posted:

You might as well just play these games in sequence for the amount of cohesion a human team using human dollars could achieve putting them into the same .exe

I did that for a minute, land on a planet in Elite, then go boot up Destiny 2.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Ambaire posted:

It’ll happen, one day, but $300M and 10 years can’t get us there right now...

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

$300m and ten years can get us there but we have a problem
The problem has a name

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Lets be honest, $300 million and ten years can get you more or less any game you can imagine so long as your imagination doesn't rely on hardware that does not / cannot exist. Unless, of course, all that time and money isn't actually being directed towards making the game.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Thundarr posted:

Lets be honest, $300 million and ten years can get you more or less any game you can imagine so long as your imagination doesn't rely on hardware that does not / cannot exist. Unless, of course, all that time and money isn't actually being directed towards making the game.

Proper space-creativity requires proper yachts man...

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

The Locator posted:

Proper space-creativity requires proper yachts man...

Coke. No coke no space, that's how it worked in 80's!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Coke. No coke no space, that's how it worked in 80's!

For evidence, please see my avatar. It's a scene from some coked out aliens from the movie "Heavy Metal".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Patch 4 went up last night.