Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Just in case somebody confuses that with satire: It's literally how Star Citizen "works" right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle
I for one am extremely excited about my space tax

and the only thing I can imagine making it more fun is if I am forced to walk through 3 miles of copy-pasted corridors at realistic speeds to pay it.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

It's super dumb that they've added space tax but not canyon races

ronmcd
Aug 27, 2017
We're due to get another dev diary maybe this week or next week, apparently that will give us an idea what walking in stations will be like.

I suspect there won't be miles of corridors, just a few locations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Give us space housing so we can decorate the inside of our FCs with chairs and beds and flower pots so we have something to look at when we walk a km or two from the landing pad to the bridge.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Thundarr posted:

The material trader is based about 3km from your landing pad. Luckily, you can hop on a shuttle bus (departs every five minutes) so you don't have to walk the entire way!

I don't know if I would hate that, though? As long as the possible tediousness is remedied by having many different backgrounds and shops and bars around.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Add a discovery log and FSSS to the hallways to chart your discoveries of advertisements and store fronts.

You're the first to find Dave's Rest Stop and Adult Store. You can sell this info a few systems over for 5,000 credits with a 2x multiplier for being the first discovery!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Tommy the Newt posted:

I for one am extremely excited about my space tax

and the only thing I can imagine making it more fun is if I am forced to walk through 3 miles of copy-pasted corridors at realistic speeds to pay it.

The fact that space taxes couldn't stop crazy people from putting their carriers from one end of the galaxy to the other is still amazing, honestly. I certainly wouldn't put up with this.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I'm still holding out for a true experiene with a survival mode where you have to eat and drink. Get up from the cockpit and walk to the kitchen and make some eggs, drink some coffee. Forced to mine ice to replenish the water on your ship if you're out exploring and there's no stations nearby.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
let me take a space piss fdev

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Looking forward to engineering my space poopsock for greater capacity so I can explore longer.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Jan posted:

Looking forward to engineering my space poopsock for greater capacity so I can explore longer.

And when I have to jettison my waste into space I better see that log floating into the sun.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Jan posted:

Don't forget to apply the Flow Control experimental mod while you're visiting the Poopsmith.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

if you thought A-rated fuel scoops were expensive, wait til you price out piss bottles for an Ananaconda

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

FBS posted:

if you thought A-rated fuel scoops were expensive, wait til you price out piss bottles for an Ananaconda

Yeah you should just have whatever you consider infinite money before you try to outfit your Anaconda, I actually figured out mining a while before the big wave just gathering up LTDs to pour directly into A-rating it.

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Drug Free Since: Lunch
Genuinely don’t understand what I’m supposed to get out of legs that the SRV doesn’t do. Other games do land pretty well, maybe focus on space?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

kaptainkaffeine posted:

Genuinely don’t understand what I’m supposed to get out of legs that the SRV doesn’t do. Other games do land pretty well, maybe focus on space?

Hopefully the driving controls for space legs will be better than they are for the SRV.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I got a message tipping me off about a shipwreck where I found a data core which I handed in for money and an alien gizmo which started disintegrating my ship until I sold it at the nearest black market. Was there anything else there I missed?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

kaptainkaffeine posted:

Just roleplaying, immersion. Would be very cool to be the first human to set foot on another world when you're far out in space. I hope they have a separate flag for that even just like the first discovery flag.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

John F Bennett posted:

Just roleplaying, immersion. Would be very cool to be the first human to set foot on another world when you're far out in space. I hope they have a separate flag for that even just like the first discovery flag.

But is it any different from the first person in a SRV?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Dogeh posted:

But is it any different from the first person in a SRV?

Yes, I think it is. It would make me appreciate the scale more, I think.

And also, I think it will "feel" pretty cool.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

kaptainkaffeine posted:

Well, having just cleared a Guardian Structure for the first time, there were definitely a lot of aspects to it that felt contrived to work with the SRV that would make more sense done on foot. "Jumping" to the ancient data terminal on top of the little butte/pedestal thing by using boost, finding "audio logs" in the form of scanning ancient pillars, it really felt like they wanted to have some sort of mini dungeon crawl experience but had to make it work with the SRV instead.

On the other hand, yeah, unless they introduce a hefty amount of on foot content for variety (lol naw), it'll really just quickly drill down to "this is how to obtain materials of type (x), how do I make this process as fast as possible". I agree I would much rather have had more spaceship content. Guardian Structures could be derelict space stations or even larger planetary sites or something that you have to carefully navigate with your ship, including scooping / collecting ancient rubbish, much to the same effect. Plus it'd give you incentive to do this stuff using a smaller ship and/or ship launched fighters instead of using your biggest, baddest A-spec'd Anaconda for everything.

On the subject of contrived garbage, is there a way that I'm missing of having the Combat/Exploration HUD mode switch not be utterly pointless in the SRV? At first I thought it'd let you just bind both the weapons fire and the composition scanner to the same fire group, and just switch HUD modes to use either the weapon or scanner on the same fire key... And while it does let you do just that, it also farts out a big "WRONG HUD MODE, PLEASE SWITCH" for whatever thing is in the other HUD mode. So in the end, I still need a binding to switch between fire groups and a key to switch between HUD modes.

I know, thread title and all that, but still. :nallears:

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Drug Free Since: Lunch
It’s mostly that I don’t get what I’m gonna do outside an SRV that I can’t do from in it. More content is good regardless but I agree that the in-ship experience could be expanded to include all kinds of stuff their not doing yet.

ronmcd
Aug 27, 2017
Also we appear to have jetpacks in Odyssey. Jetpacks, low gravity, cliffs, base jumping, yeeting yourself up in the air on a water geyser? Sounds good to me.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
I just hope this doesn't end up like eve online's walk in stations where everyone tried it for a whole 5 minutes before wishing that it had never existed.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Space legs is one of those features that often sounds a lot better than it plays. Like, being able to log in in a space station, run into a hangar bay, climb into your ship, fly it out of the station, do a hyperspace jump, orbit a planet, land on that planet, get out of your ship and construct a shelter and sit down in a chair in that shelter sounds mind-blowing.

Then you play No Mans Sky and it's pretty cool the first time you do it and then it's no longer mind-blowing and gets pretty stale pretty fast when you realise it's pretty much the same gameplay all the time. Space legs isn't enough, you actually have to have good content for you to space legs in.

I'm not saying the Elite team should ditch it as a feature, but it won't blow minds. I'd much rather have a solid overhaul of the entire mission system so they give appropriate rewards for the risk and time investment, and make stuff like a new player going from a sidewinder to a fully-engineered Anaconda by doing nothing but combat missions a feasible path.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The reason I'm not excited is I don't see how atmospheric worlds will be fundamentally different from the airless moons we already have, especially considering the lackluster previews. At best it'll give us new types of alien sites to explore and hopefully some new alien tech to go along with it, but I mostly just feel like it'll end up being us paying for more empty space.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Pigbottom posted:

I just hope this doesn't end up like eve online's walk in stations where everyone tried it for a whole 5 minutes before wishing that it had never existed.

Yeah this. I'm fine with space legs if there's something fun and repeatable to do and master, like shooting genestealers in a space hulk, or being a starship trooper in general... preferably with wider faction goals attached. Just walking around for the sake of walking around gets old sooner or later no matter how immersed you may be for the initial sessions. Some people will get bored slower than others but you can't convince me that you shouldn't develop fun, repeatable loops first and add window dressing (maybe) later.

I know a lot of people are mad about no ship interiors/coffee machines but I find that kind of a relief. It shows they might be aware of the fleeting value it'd bring, or that they've noticed how many other games stuck this kind of stuff in only to see it abandoned/rejected immediately. Sadly history shows that their patches are fully capable of disappointing everyone though, so we might just be seeing the first casualties.

For better or worse Elite's a live service game trying to serve up an ongoing narrative and support an MMO community (despite barely being an MMO), so whatever mechanics they introduce you'll be expected to do thousands of times. Just fuckin' hope it's better than the Guardian puzzles.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I can't wait to see the tank controls on space legs because Frontier is incapable of good KB+M control schemes

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I can't wait to see the tank controls on space legs because Frontier is incapable of good KB+M control schemes

At least this way we can experience nostalgia for old PSX-games. :v:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Tommy the Newt posted:

history shows that their patches are fully capable of disappointing everyone.

If only we hadn't just changed the thread title.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

kaptainkaffeine posted:

Dav's Hope, but running around in circles instead of driving.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Mitterand Hollow cheese run with space legs might be funny.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Getting Stuck In Terrain, but with Space Legs.

E: oh hey another community goal... oh gently caress not Lavian Brandy.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 25, 2020

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Ship interiors make more sense from a business perspective. With planet landing they're wasting valuable dev cycles on something no one asked for. If they'd spent time on ship interiors they'd not only make the players happy, they'd also have new opportunities to push ARX by giving the players more than just a dashboard to decorate.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

super sweet best pal posted:

Ship interiors make more sense from a business perspective. With planet landing they're wasting valuable dev cycles on something no one asked for.

Well, looks like :frontear: disagrees with you on this. :v:

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

super sweet best pal posted:

Ship interiors make more sense from a business perspective. With planet landing they're wasting valuable dev cycles on something no one asked for. If they'd spent time on ship interiors they'd not only make the players happy, they'd also have new opportunities to push ARX by giving the players more than just a dashboard to decorate.

Players asking for something doesn't mean it'd make them happy. That's supported by past patches in this game, and IIRC players asked for cabins in EVE too, and look how that ended up.

Ship interiors will only work for the majority of people if they serve a gameplay purpose. In Subnautica it's great to have the interior of your Cyclops and the little seamoth docking sequence etc. But the key difference is it's a small space you use for concrete purposes... you traverse it to get outside / in your other vehicle / store crafting materials / use your fabricator / repair your hull / charge your equipment. If Frontier made ship interiors without any gameplay attached most players would get up to walk to their coffee machine once then never do it again. That's a waste of dev time.

It's likely that ship interiors will come later, but will have to come with gameplay attached that fits with the in-space stuff we already have. Making planetary shootmans arenas or station social annexes is an easier thing to add.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Commander, the ship's coffee machines need their filters changed. If you walk around the ship and change them all, we'll save 3,000 credits on this week's upkeep bill.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Tommy the Newt posted:

Players asking for something doesn't mean it'd make them happy. That's supported by past patches in this game, and IIRC players asked for cabins in EVE too, and look how that ended up.

Ship interiors will only work for the majority of people if they serve a gameplay purpose. In Subnautica it's great to have the interior of your Cyclops and the little seamoth docking sequence etc. But the key difference is it's a small space you use for concrete purposes... you traverse it to get outside / in your other vehicle / store crafting materials / use your fabricator / repair your hull / charge your equipment. If Frontier made ship interiors without any gameplay attached most players would get up to walk to their coffee machine once then never do it again. That's a waste of dev time.

It's likely that ship interiors will come later, but will have to come with gameplay attached that fits with the in-space stuff we already have. Making planetary shootmans arenas or station social annexes is an easier thing to add.

See: the EVE Online Incarna expansion and walking in stations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

dialhforhero posted:

See: the EVE Online Incarna expansion and walking in stations.

Thanks, didn't know which update it was.

quote:

CCP are keenly aware of Incarna's faults, and Gylfason spoke to us honestly about the why Incarna failed. While the technology behind the new character creator and the captain's quarters was impressive, Gylfason acknowledged that "we didn't really do any gameplay around it, it was just “here are some characters, you can walk around and that's it. That's all you can do, you can walk around inside a small room.”

"Sure it's a good step to being able to be a person and being able to see your person, but it's a more important step for that person to be able to do something rather than just walk around. And I think that's where we ultimately failed."