Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.
Okay good. I just started this game and went through the srv tutorial and thought it was God awful. Glad to see my views are not unique here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Raerlynn posted:

Okay good. I just started this game and went through the srv tutorial and thought it was God awful. Glad to see my views are not unique here.

This is a frustrating game. It has some superb qualities, but there are a looooooot of half-baked and/or poorly designed features that will drag it down unless you know how to sidestep or avoid them. It's one of those games someone will grumble about how loving lovely it can be, while playing it for 1000 hours because holy poo poo Betelgeuse is goddamn huge, oh my god all of my problems feel so inconsequential now, space is loving incredible, how is it even real? :swoon:

To make the SRV less annoying, toggle the Drive Assist option and give both ways a go. You may find it easier to drive one way than the other.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Shine posted:

This is a frustrating game. It has some superb qualities, but there are a looooooot of half-baked and/or poorly designed features that will drag it down unless you know how to sidestep or avoid them. It's one of those games someone will grumble about how loving lovely it can be, while playing it for 1000 hours because holy poo poo Betelgeuse is goddamn huge, oh my god all of my problems feel so inconsequential now, space is loving incredible, how is it even real? :swoon:

To make the SRV less annoying, toggle the Drive Assist option and give both ways a go. You may find it easier to drive one way than the other.

Oh I absolutely love the game itself, just that module made me scratch my head. Waiting for my flight stick to come in and see how much better it gets

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle
Also use a controller to drive it, imo. You need to make constant small corrections to steering and speeds so flicking a thumbstick and feathering analog triggers is better than trying to make a HOTAS work. You don't benefit from wider axes / more travel in this case.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Tommy the Newt posted:

Also use a controller to drive it, imo. You need to make constant small corrections to steering and speeds so flicking a thumbstick and feathering analog triggers is better than trying to make a HOTAS work. You don't benefit from wider axes / more travel in this case.

If, after setting this up, you ever launch the game without the controller detected I hope you remembered to back up your config/like binding all your controls again.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Shine posted:

I know comparing ED's tacked-on space go-cart to a quality racing sim isn't totally fair, but the Lancia Stratos in Dirt Rally is less temperamental than the SRV. Like Tommy said, you can get good at driving it and adjust to its quirks, but even then, it's just dissatisfying to drive.

Luckily I'd been playing Dirt Rally alot right before I started ED so it wasn't as hard to learn as it would have been I otherwise.

Still makes me motion sick in under 5 minutes no matter how smooth I drive.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Another pro Exploration tip is to disable Neutron plotting when making a route. The goal is to scan as much as possible and most people forget to do this, so they skip over large swathes of territory that remain unexplored because everyone is in a hurry to get nowhere.
:shrug:

I think endurance exploration is best thought of as mountain climbing: pick a "summit" and move towards that goal. Take interesting detours along the way (nebula, blackholes, star cubes) and then have a little :hfive: when you make it. Then remember the summit is only half way and get back to the bubble to sell all of your precious data and piss your name across the galaxy like a spacemad golden retriever!

Having a destination and goal helps to contain the burnout and monotony. Also have a good podcast! I recommend The History of Rome or Revolutions by Mike Duncan!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
...if you're truly spacemad: set the route plotter for efficiency. :doit:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Tommy the Newt posted:

Sadly, my brain is wired too incorrectly to steer cars with a controller. Instead I'm using the z-axis of my joystick. Works astonishingly well! Of course, I'm incredibly lucky that my first joystick, which didn't have a z-axis, broke just before Horizon came out so I had to upgrade. :v:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I find my HOTAS just fine for car stuff, though I absolutely keep the throttle below 10m/s unless I'm basically going straight. Long excursions in that thing are stupid as hell.

Taking it nice and easy solves pretty much all my SRV control issues. What makes me mad about the SRV is lovely terrain. Cars aren't meant to climb mountains!

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Warmachine posted:

Taking it nice and easy solves pretty much all my SRV control issues.

But the slower you drive the more time you have to spend in the SRV. Wanting to spend less time in it is the main impetus behind mastering it. It's a very advanced design philosophy.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
I enjoy driving the SRV but I can see why people hate it. It's also pretty terrible when you try to take it over really mountainous terrain. My biggest tip to reduce spinning out is to let off the throttle as soon as the wheels leave the ground, it seems like they spin up to a crazy speed if you keep the throttle on while you're in the air and it does weird things with the physics when you land.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
This morning, I finally finished the Empire grind for the Imperial Cutter, and developed a new appreciation for the advanced auto docking module. I used my explorer DBX for it and just semi-afk flew between Mainani and Ngalinn while reading on my second monitor. Had to dodge a couple interdictions but about 99% of it was just back and forth.

Maybe later I'll start on the Federation grind, with this new Cutter. Sure can haul an astonishing amount of stuff... also been tempted to give mining in it a go, too.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Hmm I think I always just blamed gravity for the SRV. Never really tested how spinny it is on high g worlds.

They're clearly capable of turning out ships so I don't know why we can't get some variety. Perhaps a heavy cargo SRV with a big hold and like a tractor beam, a fast skimmer for exploring rough terrain, the current SRV for, uh, jump jets? Better guns?

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Different SRVs tailored to low/high gravity would be nice too

Grashnak
Apr 30, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Strategic Tea posted:

Hmm I think I always just blamed gravity for the SRV. Never really tested how spinny it is on high g worlds.

They're clearly capable of turning out ships so I don't know why we can't get some variety. Perhaps a heavy cargo SRV with a big hold and like a tractor beam, a fast skimmer for exploring rough terrain, the current SRV for, uh, jump jets? Better guns?

The only appreciable difference that higher gravity makes on the SRV is that you can't use the boost to get much if any height. The handling never really changes.

The original intent was to have a bunch of different SRV types, however there was only one when Horizons launched and then everyone hated the SRVs because they suck so Frontier decided it would be a waste of dev time for them to work on the SRVs any more because no-one uses them much. This might sounds completely insane but Frontier have explicitely stated that they won't work on a feature that people don't use despite people not using features mostly due to them being broken and poo poo. I'm sure there'd be a lot more people using something like multicrew if it actually worked and the payouts weren't insultingly low.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Grashnak posted:

The only appreciable difference that higher gravity makes on the SRV is that you can't use the boost to get much if any height. The handling never really changes.

The original intent was to have a bunch of different SRV types, however there was only one when Horizons launched and then everyone hated the SRVs because they suck so Frontier decided it would be a waste of dev time for them to work on the SRVs any more because no-one uses them much. This might sounds completely insane but Frontier have explicitely stated that they won't work on a feature that people don't use despite people not using features mostly due to them being broken and poo poo. I'm sure there'd be a lot more people using something like multicrew if it actually worked and the payouts weren't insultingly low.

"We won't fix it because nobody uses it because we won't fix it," is some truly mind blowing circular logic.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
have you seen this poo poo? players (mostly noobs) unwittingly allowing themselves to be trafficked and enslaved. Fleet Carriers were a BIG mistake!

https://massivelyop.com/2021/02/04/elite-dangerous-players-are-apparently-being-duped-into-indentured-servitude/

https://massivelyop.com/2021/02/09/...chaos-and-evil/

EDIT: good news though, in-game human trafficking is against the TOS, and they got banned from Open lol

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 1, 2021

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I still contend that is good and hilarious gameplay and I'm a little sad we didn't think of it first, but even a decade later my brain is still broken from Eve...

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I'm still not convinced this is real, there's so many things that need to be in place so they don't all immediately leave like sand between the fingers

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I still contend that is good and hilarious gameplay and I'm a little sad we didn't think of it first, but even a decade later my brain is still broken from Eve...

Yeah, I was suspect of the dude who wanted to share mission turn-ins with me. The notion of some dude coming up and convincing me that riding a fleet carrier to the middle of nowhere is a good idea is... lol

Deadreak
Jul 16, 2004

Я никому не хочу 
So after reading some of recent company reviews over at glassdoor, I def see why past 4 years have been so uninteresting for ED, and why Odyssey seems so Lackluster. Huge morale issues, senior level artists are bored and uninspired. That's too bad, they have great universe on their hands and it is a bummer it is not going anywhere.

https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Frontier-Developments-Reviews-E372218.htm

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

scamtank posted:

I'm still not convinced this is real, there's so many things that need to be in place so they don't all immediately leave like sand between the fingers

Yeah, like...why don't they just self-destruct and respawn at their starting location, or even delete+recreate their CMDR profile, seeing as they're new players? Seems like only incredibly dumb players would allow themselves to become trapped like that and simply not do anything about it...

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Never underestimate how bad people are at this game.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Major Isoor posted:

Yeah, like...why don't they just self-destruct and respawn at their starting location, or even delete+recreate their CMDR profile, seeing as they're new players? Seems like only incredibly dumb players would allow themselves to become trapped like that and simply not do anything about it...

Eh, players like those exist. As an example: Recently, the devs of Eve Online did a shake-up of the map and put some peaceful systems in a new bad space sector unconnected to their old space. And when players came back later and logged in, some absolutely flipped their poo poo because they saw themselves trapped. I mean sure, it must have been annoying, but the game has something called "asset recovery", in which you simply pay a percentage of what you have trapped, and then the game moves everything to somewhere else.

And if it's just your character and a couple ships, nothing prevents you from leaving. Every station started selling a special item to help you warp out if you absolutely want to leave. Still, people reacted like CCP invaded their home and sacrificed their children to their dark, Icelandic gods. :shrug:

I can absolutely believe that there are some players in Elite who are dumb enough to get trapped by their own stupidity

Edit:

Still nice to see the devs didn't just let those fuckers get through with abusing dumbasses:

quote:

Update: According to leadership in the Fuel Rats Discord channel, Frontier has deemed 7LD’s activities a breach of the game’s code of conduct, specifically the “deceiving and exploiting other players” part. “As such, the players involved in this activity have been excluded from Open play, and the assets which have been acquired through these means, including the fleet carriers, are being removed from the game,” the Fuel Rats say, noting that the “slaver” guild asked them to communicate that they are appealing Frontier’s ruling. Frontier itself has not made a new formal public statement, so we stress that this is communication from players right now, but we’ll update when we know more.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 1, 2021

Orv
May 4, 2011

Major Isoor posted:

There was a game called Reign of Kings, back during the survival game bubble after DayZ mod struck it big. It was by and large pretty bad but it had one neat idea where people could fight over a gigantic statue carved out of the cliffs on one side of its map and the people in control of it were the nominal kings of that server. We controlled that statue base for a good while. We had one guy who wanted to join our group, which was mostly out-of-game friends because it was that stage where we'd buy survival games and play them for a week, so we set him a bunch of idealistic, mostly impossible tasks to do that if nothing else would take a bunch of time. He did all of the tasks and then when we told him his initiation rite was to strip naked and jump in a pit with a very angry bear he did it with very little hesitation.

We were dicks for sure but the point is that a lot of people just wanna feel like they belong and are doing a thing that matters, even if realistically they and their naivety are being viciously exploited by a bunch of assholes.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Orv posted:

We were dicks for sure but the point is that a lot of people just wanna feel like they belong and are doing a thing that matters, even if realistically they and their naivety are being viciously exploited by a bunch of assholes.

Especially given the past year, can you blame anyone for wanting this feeling from a group of other humans (even virtually) even if somewhere they know they're probably being exploited? As I recall this was right after the EGS had E:D horizons for free as well, so they had a large pool of completely new players to exploit.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

wrong!

Major Isoor posted:

i think it's because they're kids

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Orv posted:

There was a game called Reign of Kings, back during the survival game bubble after DayZ mod struck it big. It was by and large pretty bad but it had one neat idea where people could fight over a gigantic statue carved out of the cliffs on one side of its map and the people in control of it were the nominal kings of that server. We controlled that statue base for a good while. We had one guy who wanted to join our group, which was mostly out-of-game friends because it was that stage where we'd buy survival games and play them for a week, so we set him a bunch of idealistic, mostly impossible tasks to do that if nothing else would take a bunch of time. He did all of the tasks and then when we told him his initiation rite was to strip naked and jump in a pit with a very angry bear he did it with very little hesitation.

So did you let him in?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Warmachine posted:

So did you let him in?

We did! It was also the last day we played the game so when we bailed we gifted him the kingdom which completely unrelatedly had been punched full of holes by a bunch of people who were much better with a trebuchet we were. Responsible abdication, really.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I like the SRV.

Nothing breaks up the monotony of deep space exploration as well as doing loop-de-loops on some faraway planet. They should add a 'first loop-de-loop' modifier to planets imo.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Is there any way to transfer modules or ships between commanders? I started playing my second account (the free Epic one) but getting a decent ship is such a grind by default, not to mention all the needed engineer stuff. I just wanna give it my DBX explorer so I can go out into the black and still do stuff in the bubble with my main.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Ambaire posted:

Is there any way to transfer modules or ships between commanders? I started playing my second account (the free Epic one) but getting a decent ship is such a grind by default, not to mention all the needed engineer stuff. I just wanna give it my DBX explorer so I can go out into the black and still do stuff in the bubble with my main.
No.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Sadly no, I don't think they'd do ship transfers for you.

A DBX isn't very expensive, though. If you fit your sidewinder with a detailed surface scanner and map some earthlikes, you'll make millions easily. Both of the current community goal systems have several earthlike or water worlds in them. They're marked with a yellow bookmark icon in the galmap. Just fly there, DSS the high value planets, and sell the data, you'll get a DBX easily. I think I got like 4 million for scanning the earthlikes in one system.

63 G. Capricorni also has a few earthlikes you can DSS for easy money. They're all over the bubble. Even if you can't do a Full Spectrum Scan to get discovery data, you can usually do a surface scan for mapping data, though not always.

Scan some earthlikes and you can easily get a DBX with a 5A FSD. Plus if you can get some engineering materials you can exchange them for a pre-engineered 5A FSD at a human tech broker, so no need to do the full engineering grind for that. Though you would still need to collect some stuff.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and if you sign up for the community goals going right now, you can turn in 1 single low-grade data material for each of them, and you'd be set to receive 10 million credits when the CGs end on Thursday. That's, like, free money. And the reward might get even higher by Thursday.

HJE-Cobra fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 2, 2021

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Ambaire posted:

Mine som platinum, drop it off (abandon) for your alt (in a wing or whatever) and have the alt sell it for cash.

That's what we used to do to bootstrap people in the olden days, I think it still works?

MisterMarmite
Feb 4, 2013
Nowadays in Frogs the payouts for wing massacres are high enough, and wars common enough, that there's usually plenty of cash around to hand to new players without anything that complicated. Plus the ability to change buy/sell prices on Fleet Carriers.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
The problem with starting a new account isn't cash, though, it's materials :(

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

thespaceinvader posted:

The problem with starting a new account isn't cash, though, it's materials :(

Materials and faction standing, unlocking engineers and stuff like permits you've unlocked.

I'm certainly unwilling to invest all this effort I've spend on unlocking Cutters and space wizards to enchant them again! If Frontier ever manages to delete my account, I'll probably just stop playing (I mean, I'm not playing right now, but I'm still willing, I just don't have the time currently)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Mats is the big one.

I've been considering starting an alt purely for exploration, and gettign up to a DBX would take very little time with squadron cash floating around, but getting the mats for the broker FSD and the mats + engineers for the DSS upgrades wuold be... blaaaah. And the guardian booster... I wouldn't need to engineer much beyond that, the 65 to 70LY range you get out of that would be fine, but that's still a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Wibla posted:

Mine som platinum, drop it off (abandon) for your alt (in a wing or whatever) and have the alt sell it for cash.

That's what we used to do to bootstrap people in the olden days, I think it still works?

If you know someone with a fleet carrier you can twink commodities easily, you can drop off a bunch of stuff then set the sell price at 5% of the galactic average - it's close enough to being free to be worth it versus manually scooping stuff in space. I think there's about 1000 tons of platinum on my carrier for bootstrapping.