Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle

Worf posted:

good lord at the rotational / thruster bug lol

+1 auto dock

I noticed the bug because I was using an autodock on a cutter for low effort trade during a conf. call, and I tabbed back into the game to find the ship was just tokyo drifting around the carrier because the thrusters had been weakened to the point that the autodock couldn't bring it to a stop at all. I had to cancel it, deploy landing gear and shunt onto the pad manually nose-first.

Luckily turning off rotational correction seems to fix it, although it's a very spoopy and inconsistent bug. I've turned correction off in every ship now just in case. It's been reported but lmao who knows when or if they'll be able to fix it. Probably can't be fixed without removing carrier interiors or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Engineering in general is going to require a fair amount of hiking around so having a DBX to get from any given point A to point B in a saner amount of time is generally going to be a good investment no matter how you slice it

I recently did this and it really has been great. I think I've mostly got what I need to start engineering with felicity (currently at the crashed anaconda at Kolii Discii farming raw materials). Just need a few more wake signals and a meta alloy and I should be good to go. Once I get the FSD upgrade I'm thinking of getting a Python and doing some Robigo runs to build up some credits before trying something else.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Game pretty:

DBX Space Lion is online and ready to explore.

I've been busy! Started the Imperial rep grind, mostly because the friends I play with where near those systems and it was an easy way to spend a couple hours. I'm more interested in the federal ships, or at least the federal corvette, because I'm a weak, weak man when it comes to big guns and the corvette has 2 huge hardpoints. I'm also saving up for a Cobra MkIII that I'll outfit for mining/general mission running; the Vulture is great for combat, but something with a little more jump range would be nice, especially if I can take it mining.

(I swapped out the frag cannons for regular cannons on the Vulture, and it's a joy. I'm going to check out power play and work towards those pacifier frags.)

I tried surface prospecting for the first time today, and I absolutely loathe it. What a horrible, weird, uncomfortable and awkward control scheme. I can apparently get raw mats through mining and material traders, so I only have to bother with SRV poo poo for the guardian modules, and I only really want the FSD booster right now.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Solumin posted:

I tried surface prospecting for the first time today, and I absolutely loathe it. What a horrible, weird, uncomfortable and awkward control scheme. I can apparently get raw mats through mining and material traders, so I only have to bother with SRV poo poo for the guardian modules, and I only really want the FSD booster right now.

While "gently caress surface prospecting" is a pretty fair take, make sure you have flight assist off in your SRV, which was (ime) the difference between it being "weird, uncomfortable, and awkward" to "definitely not the worst surface buggy controls I've experienced in a space game" (which I think has to be a tossup between No Man's Sky and Astroneer at the moment). FA off in a buggy just removes the "throttle" and turns it into "tap the throttle up button to use it like a normal rear end car gas pedal, tap throttle down to reverse"

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 12:36 on May 14, 2022

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Yeah I think once I get a bigger desk I want to map accelerate and brake to some pedals for SRV driving. I think I'd actually kind of like it if it weren't for the janky feeling of the throttles. Also if Frontier put more farmable stuff closer together so randomly driving around was more rewarding. The SRV is pretty immersive in VR too.

Just had a fun bug. I recently leveled up Felicity and got a fully tuned FSD so I kitted out a Python to do some Robigo passenger missions. I was a couple light seconds from Sothis Atmospherics and using supercruise assist when I accidentally targeted a random nearby low strength wake. The game took me out of supercruise and suddenly I was at the sun 112000 light seconds from Sothis Atmospherics. Thanks game!

Doing these Robigo runs reminds me of the frustration I have always had with E:D about how almost everything is so incredibly unrewarding but a handful of things. Like, why not make the majority of missions worth doing so everybody could just... you know... do what they like and still actually make some money? Like, why would anyone go to that world 5000ls away, land on the planet, and salvage a busted SRV for 300k credits when they could do any number of other activities and make millions? Up that poo poo up to 3 million and it would still not be a better reward vs time investment than whatever the flavor of the month money making activity is, but it would still make it more bearable if that's the game activity you found most fun.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
Xbox controller is the secret to a good time in the SRV, the default control scheme for it works really nicely. Also go easy on the throttle, you never really want to hold it down, just light taps to keep momentum and don’t let your wheels spin up faster than the SRV is travelling.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The trick I figured with getting the SRV to not just be possible to operate but fun, was to configure the controls so that I could drive while in turret mode with the throttle and twist controlling back and forth as well as steering, and then letting the x and y axis on the joystick direct the turret.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Loaded in for the first time in awhile, forgot how neat it is to see the stars shine in thru cockpit in space

E; apparently also out of gas
E2: lol but im in my home sector anyway it turns out, hola GD 140

Worf fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 14, 2022

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

The trick I figured with getting the SRV to not just be possible to operate but fun, was to configure the controls so that I could drive while in turret mode with the throttle and twist controlling back and forth as well as steering, and then letting the x and y axis on the joystick direct the turret.

yeah turret mode is where I end up spending most of the time anyways, since it's shooting poo poo 90% of the time anyways and "being able to look in one direction while your buggy keeps going in another" is always nice

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Can the buggy net you as much money as asteroid mining?

vv ah vv

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 00:02 on May 15, 2022

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Surface prospecting isn't for cash, it's for engineering materials.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I wish SRVs had more storage space ugh

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

It takes forever to drive around to find something and then i have to call the ship back and wait for it and travel to it and then back like 5 times just to get 10 things.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

alexandriao posted:

It takes forever to drive around to find something and then i have to call the ship back and wait for it and travel to it and then back like 5 times just to get 10 things.

What you’re experiencing is called content

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

alexandriao posted:

skill issue

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Ichabod Tane posted:

What you’re experiencing is called content

the missions sent me to the dark side of planets about 20 times in a row. i was hoping to just vibe to a sunrise or sunset or the cool colours of the place, but it turns out that when you've seen one lifeless barren rock in night vision mode you have seen them all

Grashnak
Apr 30, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Solumin posted:

The other thing that no-one mentioned is that you can't really get raw materials from mining, you essentially have to get them with the SRV. You get very small amounts from mining but it's almost all grade 1 stuff like iron and it would take an ungodly amount of time to get enough to be able to trade up enough to g5 engineer even one module.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Grashnak posted:

The other thing that no-one mentioned is that you can't really get raw materials from mining, you essentially have to get them with the SRV. You get very small amounts from mining but it's almost all grade 1 stuff like iron and it would take an ungodly amount of time to get enough to be able to trade up enough to g5 engineer even one module.

Dammit, really? I was trying to find a source on how much you'd get, but everything just says that you _can_ get materials from mining. Thanks for the tip.

As a friend who burnt out on this game years ago pointed out: it's a bit immersion breaking that you can't actually buy materials.

I'll throw the SRV on my mission runner and hit up the meta spots (I've heard about a crashed Anaconda, for example) and, of course, keep in mind that playing for grind is guaranteed to burn you out.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

kemikalkadet posted:

Xbox controller is the secret to a good time in the SRV, the default control scheme for it works really nicely. Also go easy on the throttle, you never really want to hold it down, just light taps to keep momentum and don’t let your wheels spin up faster than the SRV is travelling.

It’s this.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Are you kidding? I love slamming the throttle and hitting a tiny rock, causing my SRV to reverse, flip over, and roll 100 meters on its side back in the direction I came from.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Turning off assist really helped, but it's still very nauseating. At least I've almost got enough Tellurium for the experimental FSD.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I just went to that anaconda crash site and farmed raw mats for a while which I traded for other raw mats. It was definitely annoying though because I would get stuck on every single drat piece of anaconda wreckage and the 'relog and farm' gameplay is always frustrating. Eventually I'll probably fly the 1500+ly or whatever to go to some of the sites the youtube guides mention.

In VR on a planet that isn't super bumpy I actually kind of like chilling out and driving the SRV around, but I have yet to find a planet that didn't take me a long time to farm up a tiny amount of mats. I'm probably just doing it wrong because I don't think I've landed on a super metal planet or whatever yet.

e: so doing a little google research I guess SRV raw mat farming is just terrible in odyssey and I should be loading horizons instead?

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 13:19 on May 15, 2022

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Yeah raw material collection is one of the handful of things that got better, painfully slowly, between the release of engineering in 2016 and 2021. With Odyssey they decided to just sack all that progress off and make it suck again for no apparent reason.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
These idiots not making their FPS portion VR still dumbfounds me but then again so does the constant disconnects when in wing with others

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I just went to that anaconda crash site and farmed raw mats for a while which I traded for other raw mats. It was definitely annoying though because I would get stuck on every single drat piece of anaconda wreckage and the 'relog and farm' gameplay is always frustrating. Eventually I'll probably fly the 1500+ly or whatever to go to some of the sites the youtube guides mention.

Yeah, that's what I was doing, and that was exactly my experience. I thought I had managed to get myself permanently stuck a few times. Kind of my fault for trying to ramp off of the anaconda though, but I had to make it more fun somehow.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Tommy the Newt posted:

Yeah raw material collection is one of the handful of things that got better, painfully slowly, between the release of engineering in 2016 and 2021. With Odyssey they decided to just sack all that progress off and make it suck again for no apparent reason.

do you just mean with the suit engineering stuff or did block out a memory

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

They changed the way geological and biological sites work, they're no longer identifiable POIs with nice clusters of mats. They're spread over large areas.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Tommy the Newt posted:

They changed the way geological and biological sites work, they're no longer identifiable POIs with nice clusters of mats. They're spread over large areas.

company is honestly rude

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I'm glad FDEV has finally implemented some proper realism and immersion in respect to plants, which as we know never cluster together in real life :trustme:

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

The internet says you can log in using the 'horizons' client and still get the POI clusters, so unless that was patched I guess that will still work.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

drat Dirty Ape posted:

The internet says you can log in using the 'horizons' client and still get the POI clusters, so unless that was patched I guess that will still work.

Yeah, Horizons still works while it lasts.

If you're interested in some googledocs here is a trilogy of engineering ones:

Engineer unlock walkthrough:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_5mc9jif6ClUSBSvA9o2R4sujB_ieKs5faZhBxySafw/edit?usp=sharing

Material gathering methods:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1W5VFUlf6ZJOMUQJELxDBU60O7mICfRwrZ_nZNgvLl5M/edit?usp=sharing

Shipbuilding reference (what to aim for):
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ImHTbJAU9j2E7lChwuOG5NDRQvKOc6Bicw6yVK58ADk/edit?usp=sharing

Take everything you read about Elite on reddit et al with a huge pinch of salt because this game has a prodigious amount of misinformation circulating, particularly when it comes to ships and modules.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Tommy the Newt posted:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_5mc9jif6ClUSBSvA9o2R4sujB_ieKs5faZhBxySafw/edit?usp=sharing

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1W5VFUlf6ZJOMUQJELxDBU60O7mICfRwrZ_nZNgvLl5M/edit?usp=sharing

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ImHTbJAU9j2E7lChwuOG5NDRQvKOc6Bicw6yVK58ADk/edit?usp=sharing

Take everything you read about Elite on reddit et al with a huge pinch of salt because this game has a prodigious amount of misinformation circulating, particularly when it comes to ships and modules.

Sweet thanks, these are great.

Oh and I switched to my xbox controller for the SRV and it is an incredible improvement so thanks for that idea thread.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

thank goodness for supercruise assist tbh

i switched into my cobra 3 which was made to be maximumly sweaty to some metric i never cared about anyway, saw that i was much better at piloting when i made it as it had zero assists except planetary lmao

some heroes cast long shadows

Worf fucked around with this message at 02:53 on May 16, 2022

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Supercruise assist wasn't added until 2019, and prior to that it wasn't standard for new ships to come with docking computers. Might just have forgotten ye olden times.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Tommy the Newt posted:

Thank you, these are incredibly helpful! I've already got almost all the mats for the experimental FSD thanks to the material gathering doc. You've saved me dozens of hours.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Nice, I'm glad they're helpful. Hopefully Horizons mode will stay alive a while longer so it stays viable.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Got my guardian FSD booster yesterday. Being able to move around more quickly makes the game a lot more fun and I agree with those guides that say it is important and worth it for players to at least do Felicity Farseer. Driving around alien ruins was fun too. Now I have to decide whether to gain Fed rank (want to visit Sol), check out more engineers, or farm up some more $$$ to get an Anaconda. Oh and at some point I want to dip my toes into combat but I am kind of hopeless with FA off so it will take practice.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Getting those speed buffs rules and definitely makes the game cooler

Wheres a place i can do random missions at thatll also help frogs out at the same time? im just kinda meandering around doing whatever anyway + might as well put more reasons to be flying places in my brain

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

kemikalkadet posted:

PSA: I did this, and then booted up Elite again after I was done mining and didn't have my controller on, and so, I guess because it didn't recognize an input device it expected, Elite reset all my bindings to default. So if you do this, figure out how to back up your bindings.

My #1 driving tip is that your maximum throttle percentage should be equal to the planet's percentage of earth gravity, and throttle should be at zero whenever you're turning. If it's over 1G then go full speed ahead but on a tiny moon don't go over 25% of your max throttle. It'll feel slow as poo poo but at least you won't be spinning around constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Muscle Tracer posted:

PSA: I did this, and then booted up Elite again after I was done mining and didn't have my controller on, and so, I guess because it didn't recognize an input device it expected, Elite reset all my bindings to default. So if you do this, figure out how to back up your bindings.

The followup PSA to the PSA (always back up your bindings anyways) is that Elite nowadays rarely if ever actually "deletes" bindings, however it does extremely unhelpfully completely hide bindings if it doesn't detect the "primary controller used for those bindings" at the time it was started up. The bindings still exist and usually the fastest workaround is just close the game, make sure the controller is plugged in, and turn it back on.

In the event of a critical failure like "your joystick broke and you went to plug in a new one that's a different brand or model and elite has now identified that as A Different Controller", you can usually still recover the old bindings by creating a new one named something obvious and different than your old bind file after backing up your old one just to be on the safe side, figuring out what hardware ID the game is using for your new controller, and then just doing a find/replace with that on the old .bind file (bind files are just XML). I used that to "convert" my old xbox controller bindings into non-steam-input (I guess Odyssey broke steam input at some point and Elite recognized the same controller as a "different" one after turning steam input off, woooo) and again to port those same controls to a steamdeck.

e: The bind file tends to look like a lot of lines of, ex,
code:
<PitchAxisRaw>
		<Binding Device="045E02EA" Key="Pad_LStickY" />
		<Inverted Value="1" />
		<Deadzone Value="0.15000001" />
	</PitchAxisRaw>
where that hex blob is the ID you'll want to find and replace. If you don't know what it should be, the bind files that do show up when you launch your game all have generic terms that should correspond to "what E:D recognizes as existing", I think I used something like "X360Pad" when I ported it to the steam deck and it recognized it fine

e2: Also make sure to name your binds something that's not the default "Custom" since that's probably a case where your binds could get very easily overwritten and it wouldn't surprise me if the "hide binds" plus "people immediately sighing and starting to make a new Custom binds" is where most of those "Elite deleted my binds" reports came from in the first place, since I've had one named "Custom 2.0" that's existed since 2.0 completely unmolested, if occasionally hidden

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 17, 2022