Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

a mysterious cloak posted:

I realized watching this you're on my xbox friends list for who knows how long. I have ED on the Bone but hardly ever play it that way, but add me anyway for some wing-dying fun. GT: Nostratic

Oh hell yes. I’ve literally never played this game winged on Xbox because I don’t know anyone who plays it. All week next week I should be on so hit me up if you see me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Farseer does G3 engine mods, G5 FSD mods and G1 power plant mods, which makes for a really solid set of tools when you're first tweaking your ship. Yes unlocking her is more difficult but if you can do it, it's well worth it.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Helianthus Annuus posted:

mike's right, Elvira is easier. i didnt think about that. but you can get the g3 thruster upgrades from Farseer, so I'd say to do it eventually just because its more fun to go fast
To get a meeting with Elvira you need to travel 300LY from origin.

To get a meta-alloy to unlock Farseer you need to travel to Maia and buy one. Maia is about 300LY from origin.

They're the loving same!

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
farseer has the rank requirement tho, and

e: surprising result, the total distance is the same

LHS 3447 => Soontill is 302.39 ly
LHS 3447 => Maia is 426.49 ly

then

Soontill => Khun is 544.37 ly
Maia => Deciat is 431.89 ly

so you gotta travel 846 for Elvira
and you gotta travel 857 for Farseer

I guess you should just decide which one to do based on whether you're closer to Maia or to Soontill.

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 15, 2018

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

You can pick most of that up on the way down to Maia. Scout is something like 200,000 credits profit from exploration, it's basically nothing.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

oops, citing my source: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/375648-FSD-Malfunction-Neutron-Jumping-Question/

and the reason im inclined to trust that guy is because of this effortpost on the 2nd page, which shows him to be way into this game's mechanics. can i just say that this forum poster seems cool and i want to be his friend, but he has a furry av, and im more scared of that than i am of neutron stars now

The main problem with that is that it doesn't explain or predict my FSD crash while neutron boosting, which happened well above 90% — I don't remember the exact number, but it was probably in the 95–96% region since that's what my paranoia threshold was at the time.

Based on that, and based on the rarity of that event, I feel pretty confident in my assumption that — possibly in addition to what he's describing — there is also a “die roll on damage” mechanic that lets it fail at pretty much any level. By the sound of it, he's mainly describing the risks and consequences of activating a broken FSD, which is probably a different thing from the insta-failure that can happen if you take damage while frameshifting… which can only happen in two ways: neutron boosting or by running for a long time with excessive heat (and having that randomly hit the FSD).

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
I just spent 125m of my 133m bankroll on my new Type-10, The Shadynasty.

Now I just need to flit around for days collecting the modules I need but fortunately I was able to strip down my Keelback and Type-6.

Is there a guide out there for Hardpoint/Utility Mount locations? I’ve never had so many.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

tooterfish posted:

To get a meeting with Elvira you need to travel 300LY from origin.

To get a meta-alloy to unlock Farseer you need to travel to Maia and buy one. Maia is about 300LY from origin.

They're the loving same!

Not really, moving around and moving around plus buying something in one specific place isn't the same. Elvira sends you an invite just for moving around, doing unrelated stuff. If you just play the game a bit as an explorer, chances are you've already done 300 ly of random traveling from your starting point long before you start contemplating engineering.

And Elvira gives you lvl. 3 shields, which Felicity completely lacks, and at least lvl. 2 thrusters, so it's not like you'll be missing much by going this route. Besides, to unlock Palin's lvl. 5 thrusters, you would have to go through Elvira anyway, so using Felicity overall is mostly a waste of time.

You can't even argue "but what about sensors and detailed surface scanners" because Hera Tani and Lei Cheung can be unlocked pretty drat fast and have better versions for that stuff

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

is there a way to tell what an asteroid is made of before i waste a prospector limpet on it?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, I need a paint job for my phantom.

Give me one (I'm buying, but I need to know which one)! :v:

RoboCop 3
Feb 5, 2018

I'm thinking about getting back into ED and starting fresh. Does clearing your save and starting over also clear all your codex entries?

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

iospace posted:

Krait Phantom Vibrant Paint Pack

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

iospace posted:

vibrant pack is an easy d, since the only other options are drab

i sport that yellow paint on my vulture

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Libluini posted:

Not really, moving around and moving around plus buying something in one specific place isn't the same. Elvira sends you an invite just for moving around, doing unrelated stuff. If you just play the game a bit as an explorer, chances are you've already done 300 ly of random traveling from your starting point long before you start contemplating engineering.

And Elvira gives you lvl. 3 shields, which Felicity completely lacks, and at least lvl. 2 thrusters, so it's not like you'll be missing much by going this route. Besides, to unlock Palin's lvl. 5 thrusters, you would have to go through Elvira anyway, so using Felicity overall is mostly a waste of time.

You can't even argue "but what about sensors and detailed surface scanners" because Hera Tani and Lei Cheung can be unlocked pretty drat fast and have better versions for that stuff

If I understand Engineers correctly you need to do all the "engineering" at the station where they live, although you can choose a single item that you can build remotely from each engineer. So once I get there I need to stay local to get whatever materials are needed for the multiple levels of each module except for one item I can do back "home"?

Or are you supposed to make multiple trips to each engineer and slowly go through upgrades, or to get more upgraded modules as you buy different ships? I'm still on a lowbie ship so I'm wondering if I'll have to make the trek to each engineer every time I buy a new ship, or a ships with a different role.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

If I understand Engineers correctly you need to do all the "engineering" at the station where they live, although you can choose a single item that you can build remotely from each engineer. So once I get there I need to stay local to get whatever materials are needed for the multiple levels of each module except for one item I can do back "home"?

Or are you supposed to make multiple trips to each engineer and slowly go through upgrades, or to get more upgraded modules as you buy different ships? I'm still on a lowbie ship so I'm wondering if I'll have to make the trek to each engineer every time I buy a new ship, or a ships with a different role.

you've got it right except for this detail.. its a single blueprint, which you can apply remotely to any compatible module. so you can build more than one.

but you do have to apply the special secondary effect at the engineer's base. you do this once, bookmark the blueprint, and then you dont have to come back until you have a 2nd module you want to get started

you can swap engineered modules between ships, but the different sized modules on different ships puts a limit on this. thats why i suggested earlier that you get an 4A and/or 5A FSD juiced up. once you get those two started with their secondary effects, you can go wherever you need to go to get the mats to finish them remotely

Tsed
Jan 30, 2008

aaaaag drugs

So, this is extremely likely to get patched, so get in while the getting is good:

Build a ship with collector limpets and... that's pretty much it.

High-Grade Emission signal sources contain grade 4-5 manufactured materials. They're usually a bit annoying to farm usually, but the changes to how signal sources work kinda broke things.

SO. Head to a system likely to have high-grade emission signals. These tend to be high-pop systems, so filter for them in your map settings and head to one. Then head to the nav beacon in that system and scan it to ID all the signals in the system. If you've got a high-grade emissions signal with a good life remaining -- cool. Otherwise, head to another system and try again.

If you _do_ get an HGE, head over to it, and scoop your rewards. Then, exit to main menu, and then head back into game. Hop into supercruise, and head to the signal source that pops up -- it'll be the same one you just looted. Repeat until you're full of G5 materials, sell them to traders, etc. System state/faction ownership determines what materials they contain as such:

Faction Specific (Federation or Empire):
Fed: Core Dynamics Composites
Imp: Imperial Shielding

Independent:

• State: Boom
- Proto Heat Radiators
- Proto Radiolic Alloys
- Proto Light Alloys

• State: War, Civil War
- Military Grade Alloys

• State: Election
- Military Supercapacitors

• State: Civil Unrest
- Improvised Components

• State: Outbreak
- Pharmaceutical Isolators

You can literally max out on a material within 30min or so, and max out on the lower mats as well via traders, so... do it?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Use Inara.cz to figure out which materials you need to go for every grade or engineering upgrade. You’ll need enough materials to do grade one once, g2 twice, g3 three times, g4 four times, etc. so it can be a lot of different materials you need. Then go zoom around the galaxy collecting that stuff or trading other materials and data in at the material traders until you have all you need. Then go to the engineer person and upgrade your ship. You can also prepurchase modules you plan to upgrade at your home station, unfit them and store them, then transfer them to the engineer’s station to refit and engineer them. That way you can engineer up a bunch of different modules for different ships.

You can pin the entire g1-5 recipe blueprint for one module for each engineer. So you can remotely upgrade stuff on other ships. I airways keep FSD, thrusters, multicannons, and hull upgrades pinned. You can only add experimental effects at the engineer. I’d look into the requirements for these too before going because they are optional but really good.

You usually cannot transfer entire other ships to engineer bases because they don’t contain a shipyard. If I’m planning on upgrading something huge like a corvette, I usually make the trip to the closest nearby shipyard to the engineer in a smaller ship with a better jump range, transfer the corvette out there, then take it the last jump or whatever to the engineer. This can be a bit pricey in transfer costs.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Libluini posted:

I'm not arguing anything, just pointing out their unlock requirements aren't all that different.

If Martuuk's is just total distance travelled instead of straight line distance that is easier. I didn't have to really do anything to unlock either of them, so my mistake.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

Tsed posted:

• State: Boom
• State: Civil Unrest
• State: Outbreak

Good luck finding these because the BGS is still kinda being stupid and, as far as i know and can see, these states just aren't active anywhere right now. EDDB isn't much use here because those states still listed as having this also haven't been updated since the patch dropped.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dogeh posted:

Krait Phantom Vibrant Paint Pack

vibrant pack is an easy d, since the only other options are drab

i sport that yellow paint on my vulture

Well, what color? I'm thinking purple if it's in the pack

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

a big fat bunny posted:

Good luck finding these because the BGS is still kinda being stupid and, as far as i know and can see, these states just aren't active anywhere right now. EDDB isn't much use here because those states still listed as having this also haven't been updated since the patch dropped.

Pro-est Tip: this is what those GalNet “Top 10 Civil Wars” articles are for... :ssh:

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Pro-est Tip: this is what those GalNet “Top 10 Civil Wars” articles are for... :ssh:

i didn't mention that one because those are showing up. Same with Wars and Elections.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

a big fat bunny posted:

i didn't mention that one because those are showing up. Same with Wars and Elections.

Oh. :rip:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Blind Rasputin posted:

Use Inara.cz to figure out which materials you need to go for every grade or engineering upgrade. You’ll need enough materials to do grade one once, g2 twice, g3 three times, g4 four times, etc. so it can be a lot of different materials you need. Then go zoom around the galaxy collecting that stuff or trading other materials and data in at the material traders until you have all you need. Then go to the engineer person and upgrade your ship. You can also prepurchase modules you plan to upgrade at your home station, unfit them and store them, then transfer them to the engineer’s station to refit and engineer them. That way you can engineer up a bunch of different modules for different ships.

I didn't realize you could have stored modules delivered. Interesting.

So I need to make the long trip to get the item that unlocks the engineer, and then probably come back to my home station and research what mats I'll need for the upgrades I want and collect them before I go and see her.

Going to fit my Viper 4 for the long trip since it jumps about as well as the Hauler or my Adder.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I bought my first Fed Corvette yesterday exactly for this reason. As far as I can tell its the best current mining ship, combining the ability to mount all needed mining accessories with the bonus of being able to keep to huge mount points for defense. The only downside is that you'll run out of mining ammo far before you ever hit storage capacity. Limpets are so abundant that I'll send them single use missions.

I made a lot of money in Elite around a year and a half ago and then quit playing after burning out on the early parts of the engineering grind. Now I've got some time dig in.

I'm trying this as well, mostly because the Corvette is the most maneuverable of the big 3. Though I only really have room for one size 3 turret (in a size 4 slot). Two size 2 mining lasers, one size 1 mining laser, mining shotgun, mining depth charges, nukes. (I am tempted to downgrade to a Python for maneuverability, because I tend to end sessions before I'm full in my corvette, so the quality of life may be worth it. I don't play for hours at a time these days.)

Speaking of mining in a corvette, how do you find all the doots you're supposed to shoot with a mining shotgun or the things you burrow depth charges in for, or the rocks you can blow up? I went to a system, did the new FSS thing to scan down all the planets, flew to one that EDDB told me had a pristine metallic, used the DSS on it to scan the ring, and then went to one of the hotspots (dunno what this rhodium..etc spot is, but we'll try it and then do painite later). Went to the place. Honked the mining scanner that is supposed to show fancy rocks. They all seem to have the same graphical effect. Shoot a prospector limpet at one. Woo, it has minerals in it. The ship says asteroid scan complete. But all I can do is old-school mining, nothing new.

Tsed
Jan 30, 2008

aaaaag drugs

a big fat bunny posted:

Correct. Farm the others until the BGS updates. It's seriously the easiest farming G5s has ever been.

Hovermoose
Jul 27, 2010

Man, asteroid cracking in VR is the bee’s knees, it really scratches that precision flying itch. Maneuvering in and around tightly packed asteroid fragments to get at those sweet, sweet ores The added situational awareness from being able to look around with VR really helps as well.

Some tips I’ve picked up so far if anyone else is itching to give the new mining mechanics a go:

-The pulse wave scanner is really low resolution so scanning asteroids while close up can give a much better indicator of the value of ores. Scanning at a distance can be a good heads up for where to go for a closer look.
-Mining in the shadow of planets isn’t a suicide mission any longer thanks to the night vision HUD mode. Depending on the type of asteroid (especially icy ones) I find it somewhat easier to see highlights from the pulse wave scanner there.
-If you go above the recommended yield when cracking open an asteroid you can disarm charges and try again.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

is there a way to tell what an asteroid is made of before i waste a prospector limpet on it?

You can “poke” it with mining lasers and see what fragments come out.

Arcturas posted:

Speaking of mining in a corvette, how do you find all the doots you're supposed to shoot with a mining shotgun or the things you burrow depth charges in for, or the rocks you can blow up?.

Look for the asteroids that light up yellow when scanning. After the limpet scans you should see one of three different blue icons indicating surface, subsurface or fissures. When surface or subsurface are targeted these show a highlight of the ore with subsurface stretching some way into the rock.

Hovermoose fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 16, 2018

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Did they change NPC bounty hunter logic? I've got bounty on my MurderVulture(tm) and I had two separate NPCs interdict me. I submit, expecting the easy kill, but they actually ran away once I broke their shields. Is this new with 3.3? I don't remember them breaking and running before.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Yeah that’s happening to me too. I have an assassination mission, go to the system, often get interdicted by the target. As soon as their shields go down they start trying to flee. It seemed to me, anecdotally at least, that at the third interdiction on the same target they stayed to fight. Since then I’ve just been targeting their FSD.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

I don't think they've improved the AI as much as they've given them all fully engineered murder machines which are stacking with their natural AI multipliers for some major bullshit.

Because Cobra Mk4s shouldn't be out turning my fully engineered Krait, but they are.

It feels like every NPC has been upgraded to run double chaff and a full set of SCBs as well.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

iospace posted:

Well, what color? I'm thinking purple if it's in the pack

you betcha

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

The main problem with that is that it doesn't explain or predict my FSD crash while neutron boosting, which happened well above 90% — I don't remember the exact number, but it was probably in the 95–96% region since that's what my paranoia threshold was at the time.

Based on that, and based on the rarity of that event, I feel pretty confident in my assumption that — possibly in addition to what he's describing — there is also a “die roll on damage” mechanic that lets it fail at pretty much any level. By the sound of it, he's mainly describing the risks and consequences of activating a broken FSD, which is probably a different thing from the insta-failure that can happen if you take damage while frameshifting… which can only happen in two ways: neutron boosting or by running for a long time with excessive heat (and having that randomly hit the FSD).

only thing i have to add here is that i notice my ship integrity is below 50% and I'm not even to Colonia yet

I wonder what effect ship integrity has on malfunctions? did you make a not of that in your case?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

A wanted corvette
Sol judges not, silent breath
A happy limpet

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Mining is so loving cool now! Before it was an effortless chill thing, but they made an actual game out of it, where you have to, like, aim poo poo, and do things.

Popping an asteroid in VR is the loving poo poo.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Tweaking my build knocked 10 jumps off the route. I also checked one of those "Road to Riches" planners to see if I could pick up extra cash along the way scanning high value planets.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Shine posted:

Mining is so loving cool now! Before it was an effortless chill thing, but they made an actual game out of it, where you have to, like, aim poo poo, and do things.

Popping an asteroid in VR is the loving poo poo.

This is why I bought the Type-10 haha

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Just got bountied for plowing over a ship in the Skvortsov slot. Sorry bruh but Type 9 needs an appointment to stop.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Blimpkin posted:

I just spent 125m of my 133m bankroll on my new Type-10, The Shadynasty.

Now I just need to flit around for days collecting the modules I need but fortunately I was able to strip down my Keelback and Type-6.

Is there a guide out there for Hardpoint/Utility Mount locations? I’ve never had so many.

I have the rank and cash for a corvette but there’s something about the brick shithouse look of the type 10 drawing me in.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i finally found an asteroid i could crack open and i made a cold 5 mil off the rocks inside, mining is good now folks.

except i then found a second one that didnt crack open even though i put charges in every fissure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

clone on the phone posted:

I have the rank and cash for a corvette but there’s something about the brick shithouse look of the type 10 drawing me in.

Yeah I'm super tempted to make an all-turret flying fortress type 10 miner right now