Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Plus you can run a bigger vehicle hangar, two decent sixed AFMUs, and a nice sensor package all together. DBX is very bare bones and you are more likely to get in trouble as a result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

What's the point of bigger vehicle hangars anyway? Isn't on rover enough?

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
If you lose it you can't replace it outside of a space station/carrier unlike fighters that you can replace 8 times. That said,, I've never felt the need to have more than one on exploration trips.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle
Yeah the materials needed to repair and refuel SRVs are abundant and honestly you have to try pretty hard to kill them (I know because I try to kill mine deliberately at the end of each raw mat gathering expedition because it's faster than docking).

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I've driven my buggies off of 10k mountains/crater rims without killing myself, they're remarkably durable.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
Oh yeah I've definitely tried:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIHBxQFAGyQ

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Man people weren't kidding about the DBX. This thing got turbobuffed. My 2.1 conda with a good roll got something like ~55ly and fresh out the gate with just the FSD engineered this little ~1.6m ship is doing 56 lugging around an srv. Wish I'd just built this in the beginning instead of using my old beater Python because you don't need guns to farm stuff anymore.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Statutory Ape posted:

i assume going to an anaconda from a type 9 wont leave me feeling like i'm super slow and lovely?

it would just feel, uh, normal?

After you engineer the thrusters, the Anaconda is going to feel reaaaaaaaal good.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Mailer posted:

Man people weren't kidding about the DBX. This thing got turbobuffed. My 2.1 conda with a good roll got something like ~55ly and fresh out the gate with just the FSD engineered this little ~1.6m ship is doing 56 lugging around an srv. Wish I'd just built this in the beginning instead of using my old beater Python because you don't need guns to farm stuff anymore.

Fully loaded DBX doing ~74ly.

A horrible no fun Anaconda with jack poo poo that does 6ly better. :shrug:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Heh, yeah. After I saw it I popped up Coriolis to try to figure out wtf and the conda just doesn't beat it by much. It was so weird because I'd expect this to have been nerfed back by now but welp. I don't have the sensor engineering or guardian stuff (which is the whole reason I bought this thing) but it sure does zip and also isn't a whale to fly.

Grashnak
Apr 30, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

You can make a conda go further than that plus have all the gear you'd ever need with a little work https://s.orbis.zone/9sah.

Also you should look at the jump range with a full tank of fuel. That DBX is jumping 68.7ly while my conda is jumping 79.1ly, that's a considerable difference. The max jump ranges are a little closer but that's not what the route plotter is going to be using for anything.

Also oh god why are you using a D rated power plant :gonk:? That heat efficiency is going to cook you any time you try and fuel scoop. You can also get a DBX to boost off a 1D enginer focused distro to save further weight.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Slowly getting back into this after getting bored around Sagittarius A spring 2019. Making my way back to frog land now and might kit myself up for war instead of exploring.

Will this work with the oculus quest 2 and some virtual desktoping?

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Grashnak posted:

You can make a conda go further than that plus have all the gear you'd ever need with a little work https://s.orbis.zone/9sah.

Also you should look at the jump range with a full tank of fuel. That DBX is jumping 68.7ly while my conda is jumping 79.1ly, that's a considerable difference. The max jump ranges are a little closer but that's not what the route plotter is going to be using for anything.

Also oh god why are you using a D rated power plant :gonk:? That heat efficiency is going to cook you any time you try and fuel scoop. You can also get a DBX to boost off a 1D enginer focused distro to save further weight.

Adding a fighter hangar to scratch the 'high maneuverability canyon zoomies 50k ly away from sol' only takes away 3ly but fixes any and all complaints people have about conda.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Also you're flying an actual starship.

God I have got to start making real money.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

How do y'all outfit a long range Type-9? Can't decide where to put the shield genny and the fuel scoop.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Black Griffon posted:

How do y'all outfit a long range Type-9? Can't decide where to put the shield genny and the fuel scoop.

this isn't really done. but if you must, use the biggest fuel scoop you can fit, and the smallest shield gen

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

ronmcd posted:

The only real problem I have using DBX for long exploration is the fuel scoop, the Phantom you just don't have to stop to refuel. I get frustrated having to sit and fill up in the dbx.

This is a big difference if it's your dedicated deep-space exploration. The size 6 scoop really slurps up fuel. The DBX and Phantom have the same size fuel tank too.

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Adding a fighter hangar to scratch the 'high maneuverability canyon zoomies 50k ly away from sol' only takes away 3ly but fixes any and all complaints people have about conda.

It's worth it. Space madness is real and zooming about can help.

Tommy the Newt posted:

Yeah the materials needed to repair and refuel SRVs are abundant and honestly you have to try pretty hard to kill them (I know because I try to kill mine deliberately at the end of each raw mat gathering expedition because it's faster than docking).

You want two if you are far away from civilization. I've had my SRV get stuck in geometry and had to self-destruct. I was glad I had a second SRV at the time. :frontear:

AbsoluteLlama fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 20, 2020

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Helianthus Annuus posted:

this isn't really done. but if you must, use the biggest fuel scoop you can fit, and the smallest shield gen

Ah, I guess. Might just go for a bubble-crosser and drop the scoop. Also I read coriolis wrong and thought I could put an illegally small shield genny on it so that was kind of a dumb question in the first place.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Black Griffon posted:

Ah, I guess. Might just go for a bubble-crosser and drop the scoop. Also I read coriolis wrong and thought I could put an illegally small shield genny on it so that was kind of a dumb question in the first place.

docking for fuel in that thing seems like it could be a nightmare... and what are you gonna put there instead? cargo racks?

as for an illegally small shield generator, this might be possible with prismatics and engineering

edit: i was wrong. its apparently not possible to lower the maximum mass for a shield gen using engineering

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 20, 2020

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

AbsoluteLlama posted:

You want two if you are far away from civilization. I've had my SRV get stuck in geometry and had to self-destruct. I was glad I had a second SRV at the time. :frontear:

if this happens to anyone else, consider this exploit:

exit to menu, and re-launch the non-horizons version of the game. it will return your ship to orbit without destroying your SRV.

also a good thing to do when you are done scooping rocks, and you dont wanna bother summoning your ship to pick you up

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Black Griffon posted:

Are you sure you need a fuel scoop? It has a pretty generous tank and there's no point in using a T9 for long haul stuff. Just fill it full of cargo racks, do whatever hauling you had in mind then switch back to another ship. I don't even use a shield in mine, just 784 cargo and a supercruise assist for cargo missions or moving tritium. Put a shield on if you're not confident about winning NPC interdictions and landing.

Unless you're planning on mining painite in which case you could do something like this https://s.orbis.zone/9stS

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

docking for fuel in that thing seems like it could be a nightmare... and what are you gonna put there instead? cargo racks?

as for an illegally small shield generator, this might be possible with prismatics and engineering

I spent many, many hours flying a 9 around 2016-17, so I can turn that baby like a ballerina if I need to.

Also, with 256 racks on the 8 slots I gotta say racks is sort of the appeal with the 9.

Edit:

Tommy the Newt posted:

Are you sure you need a fuel scoop? It has a pretty generous tank and there's no point in using a T9 for long haul stuff. Just fill it full of cargo racks, do whatever hauling you had in mind then switch back to another ship. I don't even use a shield in mine, just 784 cargo and a supercruise assist for cargo missions or moving tritium. Put a shield on if you're not confident about winning NPC interdictions and landing.

Unless you're planning on mining painite in which case you could do something like this https://s.orbis.zone/9stS

I think I used mine for a couple of long hauls back in the day, but the more I think of it, the less appealing it sounds now.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 20, 2020

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

if this happens to anyone else, consider this exploit:

exit to menu, and re-launch the non-horizons version of the game. it will return your ship to orbit without destroying your SRV.

also a good thing to do when you are done scooping rocks, and you dont wanna bother summoning your ship to pick you up

Exiting and relaunching the game is essentially a sanctioned mechanic at this point

Tommy the Newt posted:

This build is the stuff of my nightmares

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 20, 2020

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Black Griffon posted:

I think I used mine for a couple of long hauls back in the day, but the more I think of it, the less appealing it sounds now.

Over a certain distance it probably becomes a better idea to take an Anaconda which hauls less but jumps way further... But I know there is a perverse kind of joy in flying the space cow. I (not so) secretly love the T9 even though it's kinda just a garbage box. (It actually handles better than Cutters!)

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Tommy the Newt posted:

Over a certain distance it probably becomes a better idea to take an Anaconda which hauls less but jumps way further... But I know there is a perverse kind of joy in flying the space cow. I (not so) secretly love the T9 even though it's kinda just a garbage box. (It actually handles better than Cutters!)

To me, it's the moment ED truly becomes Eurospace Truck Simulator, and that counts for something.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

It's one of the few ships that is actually just good at the thing Frontier intended it to be good at, and that's all. It's a big chonky box to carry freight in and it looks fantastic while doing it. Clear compartmentalisation of ship classes gets me off for some reason... everyone needs a kink.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I won’t fly anything except the aspex because of the VR cockpit view, deal with it.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Bad Munki posted:

I won’t fly anything except the aspex because of the VR cockpit view, deal with it.

I feel pretty much the exact opposite. VR is at its best for me when you have some context for things, something close to ground you and give you a sense of scale and depth. The AspE is like sitting in a giant boring goldfish bowl staring at orbit lines foreverially

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

For cozy cockpits, I have the alliance fighters in squadrons :v:

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Bad Munki posted:

For cozy cockpits, I have the alliance fighters in squadrons :v:

Yeah they're pretty great cockpits. Shame the rebel ships are slow, feeble vessels for cowardly scum and the TIEs, while super awesome, feel like playing from the bottom of a trash can.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I played flat at first and I gotta say, I was blown away the first time I strapped into an x-wing in VR. It felt so...present.

e: And then I saw my arm on the throttle, lol

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
VR benchmarks comparing the 2080ti to the 3080 in VR: https://babeltechreviews.com/vr-wars-ampere-vs-turing-the-rtx-3080-vs-the-rtx-2080-ti-fcat-vr-performance-benchmarked/
Elite's a ways down the page.

The difference is pretty nuts. I finally beat the scalpers/bots to place an order last night (fingers crossed it doesn't get cancelled), and I'm hella excited to go from a 1080 to a 3080. It's gonna be so nice playing at 120hz without reprojection.

Shine fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 21, 2020

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

How is the Mamba? It looks cool as hell, but it's new since the last time I played and I don't have a fighting ship in that price range yet.
Edit: Also, I bought a Phantom, show me your exploraphantom builds.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Oct 21, 2020

Grashnak
Apr 30, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Black Griffon posted:

How is the Mamba? It looks cool as hell, but it's new since the last time I played and I don't have a fighting ship in that price range yet.
Edit: Also, I bought a Phantom, show me your exploraphantom builds.

Here's my usual exploration fit jammed onto a Phantom https://s.orbis.zone/9sF5. You can put more stuff on there if you want but I've never felt the need to have anything else.

The only real thing to watch out for is power management with that small of a PP. They way I generally have it set up is to keep the srv hangar and afmu's off, then you'll need to turn your thrusters off before you can turn any of them on. This isn't really an issue as you'll need to be stopped to repair your fsd and your thrusters turn off when you land anyway. You can also leave your distributor turned off to save more power, although you don't actually need to here, all it does is stop you moving your pips around.

The overcharge on the PP is solely to enable you to put the stripped down mod on it, you want to keep the efficiency as low as possible to minimise heat while fuel scooping.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Somebody turned in almost 1 billion credits worth of Thargoid combat bonds for the CG. That's a lot of goddamn interceptors.

Meanwhile I killed four two Cyclopes and called it good. Still in the top 50% :shobon:

I missed T9 chat but I agree that there's something nice about how it fulfills its role exactly as you'd think it would, and doesn't really do anything else. They're also nice money piñatas when some crazy NPC kid in a CZ shows up with one.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Trying to grind federation rank - got a handful of missions to deliver 100+ units of cargo - switched to my type9 so I could accept all the missions at once - and then found out most of the deliveries were at outposts without a landing pad big enough for a type9 lol

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
God help me I'm downloading ED again and as usual will not remember where any of my stuff is, what I was doing, or how to do it.

EDIT: Steam says I last play January 2019. Guess I need to hit up YouTube to see what has changed.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Oct 21, 2020

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

If I was to go a little bit (ok a lot) crazy and outfit a vette for interceptor fighting, what weapons would be recommended for doing this? Gauss guns on the C1s / C2s seems like a no brainer and probably a flak launcher on the C3, but what about the C4 hardpoints? It seems like a waste to drop a C2 weapon in those, but maybe this is one of those rare times when you'd actually want to use guardian plasma. Or maybe giant gently caress-off beam lasers would outperform anyway, I dunno. Also not sure if guardian SLFs have the same tendency to instantly die when an interceptor shows up that they do with scouts, or if they tend to live long enough to get a few shots in.

Also, when the gently caress are you going to add a "save outfitting preset" button, fdev? Now that a ton of people actually have their own space RV to store all their stuff, this seems like it'd be an obvious QoL addition.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Oct 21, 2020

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I found that I could re-enter the tutorial, and it's been improved quite a lot since the old one. I wanted to try switching from using my ancient MS Sidewinder 2 to my slightly less ancient Xbox 360 pad and the tutorial was helpful for that.

Things don't seem terribly different from a couple of years ago, but I need to refresh myself on what I was doing after making 40M exploring. I didn't understand Engineering well, or factions and think I spent most of my time flying cargo and passengers around, and sometimes prospecting on planets.

EDIT: Supercruise assist seems nice!

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Oct 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Mashed my ship into an outbubble cliff during an exploration trip again. Do people pack limpets or do you usually just count on not being loving doofuses?

Grashnak posted:

Here's my usual exploration fit jammed onto a Phantom https://s.orbis.zone/9sF5. You can put more stuff on there if you want but I've never felt the need to have anything else.

The only real thing to watch out for is power management with that small of a PP. They way I generally have it set up is to keep the srv hangar and afmu's off, then you'll need to turn your thrusters off before you can turn any of them on. This isn't really an issue as you'll need to be stopped to repair your fsd and your thrusters turn off when you land anyway. You can also leave your distributor turned off to save more power, although you don't actually need to here, all it does is stop you moving your pips around.

The overcharge on the PP is solely to enable you to put the stripped down mod on it, you want to keep the efficiency as low as possible to minimise heat while fuel scooping.

Neato, thanks!