Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Dick Trauma posted:

I found that I could re-enter the tutorial, and it's been improved quite a lot since the old one. I wanted to try switching from using my ancient MS Sidewinder 2 to my slightly less ancient Xbox 360 pad and the tutorial was helpful for that.

Things don't seem terribly different from a couple of years ago, but I need to refresh myself on what I was doing after making 40M exploring. I didn't understand Engineering well, or factions and think I spent most of my time flying cargo and passengers around, and sometimes prospecting on planets.

EDIT: Supercruise assist seems nice!

Remember to enable pre-flight checks! After a long hiatus, it sucks to forget which button does what, and without the pre-flight, you may not remember what you forgot until you are lithobraking. :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

Helianthus Annuus posted:

if this happens to anyone else, consider this exploit:

exit to menu, and re-launch the non-horizons version of the game. it will return your ship to orbit without destroying your SRV.

also a good thing to do when you are done scooping rocks, and you dont wanna bother summoning your ship to pick you up

This is amazing but also :frontear:.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
NASA just upgraded to Horizons:

https://twitter.com/osirisrex/status/1319005445412081664?s=21

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Black Griffon posted:

Mashed my ship into an outbubble cliff during an exploration trip again. Do people pack limpets or do you usually just count on not being loving doofuses?

Neato, thanks!

After I noticed that I can't repair my power plant with AFMs, I decided not to bother with hull limpets as generally, my power plant takes more damage than my hull and if I ever gently caress up bad enough to zero out my power plant, chances are having a finely repaired hull won't do me any good.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Yeah, I should probably just stop crashing into planets.

Anyway, what's the lowdown on planet mapping rewards? Are there multipliers for mapping all planets in a system or should I just focus on high-prize balls? Not that I do exploring for money, exactly, but it's good to know.

Grashnak
Apr 30, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Black Griffon posted:

Yeah, I should probably just stop crashing into planets.

Anyway, what's the lowdown on planet mapping rewards? Are there multipliers for mapping all planets in a system or should I just focus on high-prize balls? Not that I do exploring for money, exactly, but it's good to know.

taking hull repair limpets is super not worth it, you can be on 1% hull and it makes no practical difference as long as you can keep your fsd repaired. They also weigh a lot and cut massively into your jump range, much easier to just go slowly and not crash.

All mapping rewards are specific to the body itself, there's no bonus for mapping the whole system or if there is it's so small as to be negligible. The table below shows the payouts for all the different things you could scan. I generally don't bother to FSS gas giants and rocky and ice worlds and then I only map terraformable HMCs plus ammonia, water and earth-like worlds. Everything else is worth little enough that it's really not worth bothering with.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Ah, perfect. Kinda disappointing that gas giants with life give such small rewards, but I guess microbial life is ubiquitous in the ED universe.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Black Griffon posted:

Ah, perfect. Kinda disappointing that gas giants with life give such small rewards, but I guess microbial life is ubiquitous in the ED universe.

It's the same logic as Guardian artifacts.

"You have ventured far beyond the reaches of human civilization, scoured ancient alien ruins and brought us this precious alien urn! I'll give you 3k credits for it."

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Jan posted:

It's the same logic as Guardian artifacts.

"You have ventured far beyond the reaches of human civilization, scoured ancient alien ruins and brought us this precious alien urn! I'll give you 3k credits for it."

I mean, it's a priceless alien artefact that is millennia old...not a 7A fuel scoop... :nallears:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Didn't the bulk passenger missions used to list the destination and LY just like all the other mission types? I have to click on each mission to see the details and even then there's no distance to the destination system.

Is there a way to add the supercruise assist to an old ship, or is that only for newly purchased ones?

EDIT: Realized that if I have passenger modules installed then I see the destination.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Oct 22, 2020

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Spent 6 hours grinding a Sol system permit so I can read the "Congressional Streamlining" tourist beacon

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

Is there a way to add the supercruise assist to an old ship, or is that only for newly purchased ones?

It's a regular module, if you don't find it hop to another system and you'll probably come across it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Mapping an unmapped snowball in a system someone else discovered is like throwing up your tag over someone's mural.

I do it if the snowball is reasonably close.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

My first cruise assist didn't work out because my approach took me too close to a planet which obliged me to manually change course to maintain speed. Second time I tried it I got a message that I was going into orbit and I was thinking "I want to dock at the station, not orbit!" so I fought with the controls until I remembered that the mission destination was a ground outpost. D'oh!

I had to recall how to safely land on a planet real quick.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

In theory if supercruise assist would point you through a planet that you can land on, it's supposed to safely put you in orbit around it. I think it's actually worked that way for me one whole time, and the others required me to take manual control to avoid having Tesla autopilot moment.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you have the planet itself targeted, it allegedly will put you in orbit around it. I don't think it does anything special if you have an orbital station targeted and there just so happens to be a planet in the way.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle

Grashnak posted:

taking hull repair limpets is super not worth it, you can be on 1% hull and it makes no practical difference as long as you can keep your fsd repaired. They also weigh a lot and cut massively into your jump range, much easier to just go slowly and not crash.

For anyone who doesn't know about this, two steps if you want to land safely on high G planets (or really any planet if you're not confident) with any ship or thruster:

1. After exiting glide immediately zero your throttle and orient yourself to be perfectly level with the horizon. Don't point your nose down in high G. Don't thrust down in high G.
2. Briefly toggle Flight Assist off and on again, letting gravity pull you closer to the planet's surface. Do this in tiny bursts at first until you can safely gauge how long it takes your ship to come to a stop after each toggle.

Now you will never take damage from planets, job done.

Disconnecticus
Oct 21, 2012

Wait, like, actual money?

Tommy the Newt posted:

land safely on high G planets

Plummeting at high speed then a quick flip and boost 180 degrees from your downward vector is more fun.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Trying to dock at an engineer's base for the first time and I pick up a pad loitering fine. Have to dock with anonymous access. Can't open the Contacts screen because (I assume) I haven't made my donation yet. Can't make my donation because I owe a fine. Now what? Pick up a Sidewinder at the closest station and come back?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

GameCube posted:

Trying to dock at an engineer's base for the first time and I pick up a pad loitering fine. Have to dock with anonymous access. Can't open the Contacts screen because (I assume) I haven't made my donation yet. Can't make my donation because I owe a fine. Now what? Pick up a Sidewinder at the closest station and come back?

The engineer probably does not have any contacts at their base. Go to the nearest interstellar factor and pay off your fine.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Flew off into the middle of nowhere last night, discovered a bunch of planets, but my name isn't showing up as the discoverer. Does the game hide the "discovered by"/"mapped by" text if it's your name? Or does it just take a while for this text to show up?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You don't get to claim credit until you've returned and cashed in your exploration data. So you generally won't see your own name unless you're taking a second trip out to those same stars.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Or bookmark those locations on galactic map and check on them from there after delivering your exploration data.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Jabor posted:

You don't get to claim credit until you've returned and cashed in your exploration data. So you generally won't see your own name unless you're taking a second trip out to those same stars.

Ah, that actually makes perfect sense, thank you.

All we've mapped so far are garbage-tier brown dwarf star systems, but whatever! Still fun having your name on stuff that's not terribly far from the bubble.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I took a retrieval mission that would require either scanning the system for the target, or scanning a beacon. The beacon said the threat level was much higher than my combat rating so I fumbled until I remembered how to use the FSS. I was randomly scanning for signals at the low end of the spectrum, and found a fair number but nothing that looked like my mission target.

I decided to go to the compromised beacon and although it was packed with ships no one attacked me and I received my target location, a signal source.

My question is: if I was diligent with the FSS would I have been able to find that signal, and if so would it have been flagged as the mission target?

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

I took a retrieval mission that would require either scanning the system for the target, or scanning a beacon. The beacon said the threat level was much higher than my combat rating so I fumbled until I remembered how to use the FSS. I was randomly scanning for signals at the low end of the spectrum, and found a fair number but nothing that looked like my mission target.

I decided to go to the compromised beacon and although it was packed with ships no one attacked me and I received my target location, a signal source.

My question is: if I was diligent with the FSS would I have been able to find that signal, and if so would it have been flagged as the mission target?

Diligence probably wouldn't have helped, as mission targets show up as bright yellow in the FSS and aren't terribly hard to find if they're there. I think some missions require you to fly to a certain zone before the signal shows up. If nothing appears on the FSS, scanning the nav beacon should update the mission description (although you need to scroll down) to give you either a planet ("A5"), station, or zone ("A1 - A5") where the contact will appear in the nav panel.

Although, I have no idea why specifically some missions can be spotted on the FSS and others can't.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 22, 2020

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Guardian modules are in the bag. I guess next is prismatics and unlocking the rest of the engineers. Are the guardian weapons anything I should beeline for or save that for a much later for-completionists-sake run?

Also, Painite prices are pretty poo poo right now but low temp diamonds seem hot. Is this a normal mining thing where one dies and the next rises up in a cycle like some sort of cash phoenix?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That’s capitalism, yes

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Mailer posted:

Guardian modules are in the bag. I guess next is prismatics and unlocking the rest of the engineers. Are the guardian weapons anything I should beeline for or save that for a much later for-completionists-sake run?

The only guardian things that're of any real value are the FSD booster and module reinforcement, the gauss cannon if you want to kill thargoids, and the Lance fighter if you... just like cool fighters that don't really do much. Everything else is less good than an engineered equivalent. Prismatic shields are also only really useful if you plan on doing PvP or trucking in Open.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Guardian Powerplants can have some niche uses.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

What about guardian shield boosters?

Grashnak
Apr 30, 2006

Oven Wrangler
After checking in Coriolis I can't tell what they could possibly be. An overcharged A grade power plant puts out more power at a better efficiency than the equivalent guardian powerplant. It's got slightly less integrity but if you care about that at all then you'd engineer and armoured power plant which has more than double the integrity and a much better efficiency as well. They aren't even any cheaper than a regular A grade powerplant.

edit:
Guardian shield boosters give you less of a boost to shields than an engineered normal shield booster does for basically the same power and at the cost of an internal slot. They give you about the same amount of effective hp as an unengineered HRP does so once you put engineering into the mix the HRP will give you way more effective hp and won't cost you any power.

Grashnak fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Oct 23, 2020

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Grashnak posted:

Guardian shield boosters give you less of a boost to shields than an engineered normal shield booster does for basically the same power and at the cost of an internal slot. They give you about the same amount of effective hp as an unengineered HRP does so once you put engineering into the mix the HRP will give you way more effective hp and won't cost you any power.

Yes, but you can put them in the military restricted slots. If you want to shield tank and don't ever want to be taking hull damage, that seems like a good thing to unlock.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Turns out the reason my fuel scoop wasn't working is because I put it in storage. Almost melted my ship trying to get it to deploy.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Tommy the Newt posted:

Prismatic shields are also only really useful if you plan on doing PvP or trucking in Open.

I read about using biweaves in the guide linked and those will go on my eventually-grinding-conflicts FDL. It's more or less just a "to have it" collection thing, same as every guardian module that isn't the sweet FSD booster. I'll take the flimsiest excuse to fly around more so if the item isn't 100% unused it's usually enough. :v:

Grashnak
Apr 30, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yes, but you can put them in the military restricted slots. If you want to shield tank and don't ever want to be taking hull damage, that seems like a good thing to unlock.

You can also put SCBs in the restricted slots and they are going to give you a huge amount more hp that the guardian booster will if you want only shield hp. I just super don't see the point to the guardian boosters.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Grashnak posted:

You can also put SCBs in the restricted slots and they are going to give you a huge amount more hp that the guardian booster will if you want only shield hp. I just super don't see the point to the guardian boosters.

You have to manually activate the SCBs and they don't do poo poo if your shields break

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Cup Runneth Over posted:

You have to manually activate the SCBs and they don't do poo poo if your shields break

Nor do guardian shield boosters though. If you want extra health for less effort an equivalently sized modded hull reinforcement package is a significantly better option, it's a ton more health and universal resistances for the rare occasions your biweaves break. Modding one of those can be a fair amount of effort though, admittedly. I don't think GSRPs are worth the effort it takes to unlock them, but I acknowledge this is from a tryhard perspective. I guess some people might prefer to have a bit more shielding just on principle, even if it's not the official best option vOv

Edit: for comparison
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/717838201334530098/769115591214235648/Screenshot_20201023-102919.png

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Guardian Powerplants can have some niche uses.

Like what?

Tommy the Newt fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Oct 23, 2020

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I might have exploded a few thousand years outbubble and now I'm depressed and I want money. Post your favorite miner build please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I received a communication that said there was some sort of interesting item on a planet about 300LY away and that the information was not totally secure so other people might be in the area to check it out. Since I still don't have my act together since restarting the game I figure... why not? The route takes me through my starting system, a place I haven't visited since 2015.

EDIT: 16 jumps and I forgot to bring my SRV.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Oct 23, 2020