Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jul 20, 2006
New dev diary for Odyssey is out, focusing on planetary exploration.

https://twitter.com/EliteDangerous/status/1295708287036469249

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jul 20, 2006

El Grillo posted:

Yeah if anyone can be arsed to watch through the Dev Diary interview and let us know if there was anything new in there that would be sweet.

Two interviews yesterday with devs - indicating that there's a lot that hasn't even been decided design-wise:
https://twinfinite.net/2020/08/elite-dangerous-odyssey-interview/
https://www.polygon.com/2020/8/18/21372562/elite-dangerous-odyssey-expansion-details-one-giant-leap-interview

Gave it a watch this morning. David Braben mentioned social hubs and "planetary development", but it wasn't clear if he was referring to the new planetary tech revealed in the dev diary, or to some new gameplay features around developing the bases and services available on planets. So it definitely looks like there will be a new, on-foot method of receiving missions and meeting other players in space bars or whatever.

The other dev they had on mentioned that there will be a range of different spacesuits available, but didn't say much in the way of the impact they would have on gameplay. They also said there would be a new "Exobiologist" ranking system alongside combat, trade and exploration.

Other than that there was quite a funny bit near the start where they addressed the latent ANGER of the community, and said soothingly that it just shows how passionate the fans are. Personally think it's quite strange that developers have to pander to the ugliest bits of their fanbase in this way.

Jul 20, 2006
Just finished the Canopus-Exphiay grind for Federation rank so I can get a Corvette... Jesus Christ is it long.

Finally fully appreciating people's complaints about this game's grind, and I haven't even got to engineering yet. It's nuts that there are so many Federation ranks that reward absolutely nothing, not even a fairly useless system permit.

I did draw some amusement from the fact that many of the Exphiay->Canopus missions were "HELP QUELL CIVIL UNREST BY DELIVERING 180 TONNES OF EXPLOSIVES".

Jul 20, 2006
Frontier has tweeted a forum post signalling the return of GalNet along with an in-game event later this evening.

https://twitter.com/EliteDangerous/status/1303974623193829376

Were GalNet and community goals any good? When I started playing I didn't really have a good enough ship to participate.

Jul 20, 2006
Is it true that passenger missions out of damaged stations are quite lucrative?

If so, what's the most lucrative loadout for running them? Do VIP passengers demand luxury cabins before they leave their burning hab block?

I've got a fat Type 9 so I could fill that up with economy cabins if that works.

Jul 20, 2006
Cool I'll give that a go. Lucky I found out about the heat before I started!

Jul 20, 2006

Bad Munki posted:

Where do I go to get in on this burning station passenger rescue stuff? I got a ship with a ton of lovely cabins I can stack people in like firewood, I just have no idea where to be.

You can find the full list in the GalNet entry (accessed via the right panel or the button in the center of starport services).

I know LHS 4031 was one of them but can't remember the others...

Jul 20, 2006

Tommy the Newt posted:

Obligatory effortdoc post mainly about engineering but with information about modules in general. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ImHTbJAU9j2E7lChwuOG5NDRQvKOc6Bicw6yVK58ADk/edit?usp=sharing

This guide is so helpful. It's inzanely detailed.

Jul 20, 2006
Grown quite tired of mining and it really is bizarre that the financial rewards for other activities are so tiny. Combat pays peanuts, and activities like smuggling and piracy are basically broken.

New dev diary out on Wednesday about station interiors, and presumably mission givers too. Any chance they will take the opportunity to clean up the busted mission system...? Maybe...?

Jul 20, 2006

super sweet best pal posted:

All I really do is fly out into the black and participate in the occasional event and money's become an abstract concept to me.

I think it's the five billion that it costs to buy a fleet carrier that is playing on my mind. That's an inzane amount of mining.

But I dig what Polo-Rican says about earning the ships. I was playing on and off for a little over a year before building up to a fully A-rated Anaconda and there was something satisfying about that...

Could just do with a little more variety amongst the higher earning activities. And for activities like smuggling, salvage or piracy to errrr work at all.

64057 fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 28, 2020

Jul 20, 2006

Tommy the Newt posted:

Personally I don't think it should ever have been a big deal. They should've balanced the ships for different roles and mechanics - let people spread out industriously into a working ecosystem instead of just waiting for number to go up. Long-term player retention relies on actual dynamic repeatable loops and faction goals, the ship grind was always just a waste of time. I get that people need milestones but the credit/rep/engineer grind are all illusions, there's precious little actual gameplay there, no skill checks or didactism. It might as well be egg-timers, and if the egg timer lasts 30 minutes or 400 hours it doesn't solve the core problem.

Lando losing the Corvette for example, it's slightly tempting to say "oh you maybe earnt the ship too fast and didn't learn how to fly it or escape danger... it's mining's fault", but these kinds of stories have happened literally since launch, when earning money was 100x more of a pain in the rear end. The game still didn't teach you anything or demand anything of you systemically other than your free time.

The fact that you can reach an Anaconda in a few days wouldn't be viewed as a problem if small ships still had a valuable mechanical role, like Descent style tunnels or sanctioned racing etc, or if the explicit goals were something other than just "have more bigger thing eventually maybe game will get better (it won't)", "this rep grind sucks but soon I will have a Cutter and enjoy the game (you won't)". "reddit posting the words 'after 2000 hours she's finally mine!' is my endgame act (it will be)"

Wise words. I think they did some interesting stuff with respect to core and sub surface mining. Makes me wonder if they wouldn't have been better off revisiting other core gameplay loops, even adding something as simple as tunnels to fly through like you mention, instead of going straight for space legs.

I visited one of those strange non-station facilities covered in datapoints recently. Feels like they were supposed to be interesting locations for combat. Now they're just lying around in game but are never used...?

Jul 20, 2006
Not sure if it's a mistake, but they appear to have put the new dev diary up a day early.

Station interiors looking pretty sweet to be fair...

https://twitter.com/EliteDangerous/status/1310989666703872002

Jul 20, 2006
Quite a lot of extra detail in this Polygon interview with the developers on varieties of station interior, missions and suit upgrades.

They insist they don't want the on foot spaces to be a needless slog that gets in the way of gameplay, but we shall see...

https://www.polygon.com/features/2020/9/29/21493772/elite-dangerous-odyssey-paid-dlc-preview-release-date-price

Jul 20, 2006

Zeether posted:

Does anyone know the best place to get painite? I was mucking around in Col 285 Sector UZ-P d5-90 because the mining tool site said 6A had it but I checked the rings and got nothing.

I did manage to get a small wad of cash for exploration data though.

I think I was there the other day. It's a bit confusing - it's actually planet 6 ring A, not planet 6A which has rings but no double hotspot. Planet 6A is orbiting planet 6 which if I recall is a big gas giant.

Jul 20, 2006

Baron Porkface posted:

I suddenly took a shitton of heat damage and I have no idea why.

You probably switched on Silent Running by mistake.

Or at least that's how I've accidentally killed my ship via heat damage once or twice...

Jul 20, 2006

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I don't know if I'm just lucky or my DBX is too rinky-dink / my corvette is too intimidating but I haven't been ganked since the Sothis-poo poo Run days...maybe I need to visit more CGs.

I went to the most recent Community Goal and got interdicted by a full wing of gankers in FDLs.

I was in a fairly well kitted out Corvette courtesy of Tommy the Newt's guide, but that guide also makes it clear that FDLs are the most dangerous ships in the game.

Full power to shields, boost, boost and just noped out of there...

Jul 20, 2006
The live streams look kind of terrible so far.

Ten minute taxi rides to planets during which you can do absolutely nothing.

Confusing spray of new menus that force you to click through walls of text to get things done.

And the missions look like the same sort of semi-busted mess that we've seen with some of the existing mission types for a lot longer.

Jul 20, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

The absence of basic QoL stuff like 'knowing how long it will take to get to your intended location' is pretty low on the list compared to 'not starting with the tools or information you need to know how to do half the missions that are available, and the other half will loving kill you'.

What I find funny about this is that the problems with the new on-foot missions look like they're nearly identical to the semi-broken problems of the existing SRV surface missions. Barely explained mechanics around data points, insanely lethal NPCs, horrible settlement maps that are a nightmare to drive around, to name a few. Same goes for some of the existing space missions.

Maybe if FDev had bothered to take a second look at all the broken features currently in game it wouldn't have ended up cloning them along with all their problems in its new shiny expansion...

Can only hope that they will take the time to fix things up before release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jul 20, 2006
Just incredible how they absolutely terminated this game with the Odyssey expansion. Wasn't the player base steadily growing before it was released?

I don't really have the cash for a gaming PC so pretty disappointing news that we won't be getting anything new on console. Love this game, wish they had focused on building out the core spaceships gameplay instead of this bungled attempt to introduce spacemens.