Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Theres the problem.

The impression I got was that Frontier are trying to take a game that was basically designed to be single player and make it an MMO, while simultaneously trying to please both forum dads and more casual players.

They're never going to please everyone and will occasionally piss them all off from time to time. That the game is still fun and playable in spite of this is kind of remarkable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Tommy the Newt posted:

A while ago on discord we were trawling through Frontier's reviews on Glassdoor, it was pretty entertaining and backed up a lot of suspicions that've been floated over the years.

https://www.glassdoor.co.uk/Reviews/Frontier-Developments-Reviews-E372218.htm

"Staff are constantly moved around projects, meaning that there is very little passion for any projects being worked on."

"A lot of bad eggs who have been at the company for a very long time which the company don't know how to deal with. Reluctance to change and grow with industry."

"Paternalistic upper management. High employee turnover rate."

"Emphasis on seniority rather than ability."

"CEO was disinterested. Code base was a mess. Lead programmer and senior programmers thought they had achieved perfection - and they had not."

"Arbitrary success metrics"

"Very low pay for the area and games in general."

Obviously not a reliable or comprehensive view of the company but there are a few lines that come back several times.

I heard similar things on various Usenet groups back in the day, so when Elite Dangerous was announced I had no faith it would ever come out. After all, how many false starts did Elite 4 have?

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

AntherUslessPoster posted:

The only thing working at the update time is the arx shop on the website :D
https://dlc.elitedangerous.com/carriers/list?extra_type=298

It figures that the first time I feel like playing in a few weeks, it’s update time.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

calandryll posted:

Looks like the trit train has dried up, well without dealing with carriers. I'm about 300 mil from getting elite in trading. Suggestions to hit the final bit?

...aaaaaaaand gently caress it, as usual I'm like thirty seconds too late getting in on a gold rush.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Mendrian posted:

Elite is a good game that seems to enjoy actively preventing itself from being multiplayer in any reasonable way.

It feels a lot like it was designed as a fundamentally single-player game where any fun to be had from multiplayer is largely incidental.

Keep that in mind while playing and you'll have a blast.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

It's a shame you can't have multiple characters. I remember having the most fun with the early and mid-game experience, but I don't want to lose my elite explorer.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

super sweet best pal posted:

Could just buy a new sidewinder.

I do have a bright orange A-rated, engineered Sidewinder named “Pilot Under Instruction” in the hangar. If only I could be bothered flying all the way back from Beagle Point.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

If anyone here is still into exploring, pretty much the entire route between Beagle Point and Colonia is uncharted, I've discovered quite a few ammonia worlds and Earth-like planets

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Black Griffon posted:

Mashed my ship into an outbubble cliff during an exploration trip again. Do people pack limpets or do you usually just count on not being loving doofuses?

I don’t bother with limpets or auto-repair, I just count on not smashing into things. A rather poor strategy compounded by the fact that I only ever fly drunk.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Elite-related content. Apparently the NES port is quite a marvel. It’s really crazy to see how much stuff carries over from that game to E:D, these mechanics have been around forever.

https://youtu.be/GCqXIX84YNA

Now I want a copy, but there is only one on eBay for $150

I found a copy in a box of unsorted console cartridges a while back, the original saved game memory still works too. Of course then I had to go buy a NES to play it on. I still think it was the best of the 8-bit ports.

Also, after finally building my Exploraconda and having enough cash to do whatever I want, I went ahead and reset my save just for the hell of it. I love the early game feeling of just kinda scraping by, taking odd jobs and trying your hand at various professions in the crappy old Sidewinder you won in a church raffle.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

For me, Elite Dangerous is one of those games where I might not touch it for months on end, then end up playing nothing but Elite Dangerous for like three weeks solid.

I can't help but love this janky grindy beautiful amazing hot mess of a game.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Not sure if this is the appropriate place for it but I just found out that ArcElite was ported to Windows.

Originally being released for the Acorn Archimedes in yhr, it's often considered to be the best version of the original Elite and now you don't have to screw around with emulation to get it working.

http://www.new-kind.com/arcelite/

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Is there anything like Elite, as in it has a massive galaxy to explore, but is more arcady and has a top down view? Was thinking of something like Starsector, or Space Ranger 2.

Endless Sky is the first thing that comes to mind, and it's free on Steam.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Jumping through a star will never not be disconcerting as all gently caress.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

BattleMaster posted:

I hate how the game gives time estimates for star systems in supercruise when if you actually fly the distance the system doesn't load in

I guess they never expected anyone would actually try it.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Plan R posted:

Go to Achenar and look for High-Grade Emissions. Imperial Shielding traded for anything you need is efficient enough.

It's still a grind but each unit nets you 3 pieces; if it was 1:1 I'd go mad!

I just scan the Jameson Cobra crash site over and over again. The data you get from that is high grade enough to trade for anything else you need.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Unsinkabear posted:

You can't trade data for manufactured materials, which is what imperial shielding is (and trades for)

Of course, that'll learn me to read before posting.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Ichabod Tane posted:

tf is choom?

I've gotten old

preem nova choom

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

I got a Saitek X65f at the Oshkosh air show for $200 back in 2012 and been using it ever since. The force sensing takes some getting used to but it’s built like a tank and super precise when you get used to it.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

I always thought the early and mid game were the most fun, I liked the feeling of just barely scraping by in a lovely beat-up old Cobra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Dante80 posted:

I always viewed this one as a somewhat modern FE2/FFE variant. Used to play those games a lot back in the day, and since I don't care about multi-player E:D feels somewhat similar to them. I'm satisfied with that.

That does not make it a good game of course, it just means that I'm a weird gamer. Oh well..:v:

This is pretty much how I play it. Frontier Elite II scratched an itch I have that no other open world space sim ever quite managed to do except Elite Dangerous.