Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lando Kardashian
Jul 11, 2007

pissidential

started my fed corvette grind . half way there but wow its bloody boring. i just want to pew pew at other space dudes. Next will be engineer grind. if there are any ps4 goons on here send me a pm and we can bash our heads against our canopies from boredom together!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lando Kardashian
Jul 11, 2007

pissidential

got my fed corvette!! Cant wait to dogfight pirat-

oh right. back to mining painite so i can just start to outfit this ship so I'm not melted in the first 10 seconds of a combat zone. why does this game hate me and having fun?

:( 7

Lando Kardashian
Jul 11, 2007

pissidential

took it out for a spin in a hazrez zone. saw two winged kraits that were wanted. got smacked in the dick pretty fast and had to FSD out just in time with 9%. Its probably because i forgot to change my 1C stock hull lol. got punched through like toilet paper. my shields barely held either. I'm a little miffed i didn't stand longer than that.

Any suggestions for load outs? right now I have two huge gently caress off gimbals beam lasers, two gimbals MCs, seeker missiles on the smallest modules and a frag cannon on the large. Problem is I have to spread them over two fire groups. I wanted to group them to be primary A - shield fucker weapons, as soon as shields are down primary B hull fucker config. it'll take some experimentation but I cant risk getting melted without doing a few more mining runs.

None of these are engineered and yes I will engineer them. I just want to swat down a few NPC swarms with my new crew member and fighters and just have some fun, gently caress me right?

Lando Kardashian
Jul 11, 2007

pissidential

Tommy the Newt posted:

The game is very modular and you need to be a bit aware of the enormous difference health stacking makes - if you have a vanilla Corvette with just a standard shield and a couple of boosters you're looking at maybe 1k shielding and 666 hull, which is nothing. This is your Corvette's armour without any stacking:

For reference you can get a Sidewinder to this:

So you can understand the complications in balancing where such a disparity is possible between the literal weakest and strongest ships in the game - it's not enough to just buy a Corvette, all stock ships are just a few shots away from death.

The easiest way to outfit for PvE is to put the biggest biweave shield you can on, fill up approximately 3/4ths of your utility slots with A rated shield boosters, add heatsinks or chaff depending on your ship and needs, A rate all your internals apart from sensors and life support, which are usually best as Ds. Then if you're dedicating yourself to combat, put as many Hull Reinforcement Packages in your optional slots as you can, along with at least one Module Reinforcement, as well as Military Bulkheads if you can afford it (but don't worry too much if not, it's the HRPs that make the biggest difference). On a Corvette I would also add some Shield Cell Banks. You don't have to for PvE, biweaves are really fast. https://s.orbis.zone/9bF9 So you can see you're already in a much better spot, at least compared to that modded Sidewinder.

Once you get more comfortable with the ship and are more aware of how much incoming damage is too much, and how easily you can escape, you can choose to start taking out some of the defensive modules. I tend to think you're better off just having dedicated ships for different tasks rather than trying to do everything in one... but you can of course make a Corvette or Anaconda work 'multirole', just start from a strong base.

Weapon-wise, right now multicannons are your best friend. Generally for vanilla ships you will get best bang for buck with smaller "thermal" weapons and larger "kinetic" weapons. Thermal damage is good for dealing with shields and poo poo against hull, while smaller weapons suffer a damage penalty against larger hulls they don't against shields... so if you use smaller lasers for shields they will be doing their job without hitting that damage penalty, meanwhile your larger kinetics will be doing full damage to all hulls, instead of being hamstrung by the armour scaling thing. Also laser weapons have bad optimal range and poor DPE, so if you have big ones you can drain your capacitor fast for chump change damage. You can fire multicannons for ages with no worries. It is kiiiind of moot in bounty hunting terms though, you can pretty much take any combination of beams/multis and do fine. Later on for stuff like combat zones you might find it beneficial to start minmaxing a bit.

Obligatory effortdoc post mainly about engineering but with information about modules in general. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ImHTbJAU9j2E7lChwuOG5NDRQvKOc6Bicw6yVK58ADk/edit?usp=sharing

This. This is fantastic thank you. The guide is also extremely helpful. Im going to work on this starting with switching my two huge points for MC instead of beams because if I understand correctly there is a threshold where it doesnt really work past a certain point. Is that correct?

Cheers commander o7

Lando Kardashian
Jul 11, 2007

pissidential

smug jeebus posted:

That's an amazing guide and I support you dropping TED talks on this thread whenever. Any advice on PIP management? I've largely avoided it and just gone 4/1/1 because it's kind of a pain with the standard controls. Is there a suggested control scheme for KB/M to really work the pips?

Seconding this, really great information. Mainly because this game couldn't give two shits to explain any singular aspect of how things work. Its left up to players like you to explain them !

Lando Kardashian
Jul 11, 2007

pissidential

deleted the game. I got blown up on a mission because I couldnt get a button pushed in time. Was a few hundred credits short and lost my kitted out corvette.

Now my only choice is to take my sindwinder jump over 20+ back to home base so I can mine for 6 hours+ and re-buy everthing. gently caress it. Why bother with a game that punishes so severely for just enjoying the one aspect (combat) that I want to play? Oh well, NMS has their new update and I'll play permadeath mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lando Kardashian
Jul 11, 2007

pissidential

so I took some time away to cool off from losing my Vette. I took the threads advice and 'pretty please'd it from Frontier and they were kind enough to give it back to my dumb rear end. So like a toxic relationship I'm back to grinding/mining/crying of boredom up a substantial amount of credits like a good little worker bee.

My next move might be A-rating engineering the Vette or buying a Krait and seeing if that us a better alternative to combat as its not as expensive.