Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Kraftwerk posted:

Maybe I'm real dumb but I just don't really "Get" engineering.
It looks like a really opaque and grindy system and it confuses the hell out of me.

It definitely is opaque and grindy but it used to be WAY worse. The current engineering system is actually much more manageable than it used to be. There were much stricter limits on how many materials you could carry at once, and I think a bunch of recipes required commodities to make too, not just materials. And how well it engineered your module was randomized within a range, so it could be a lovely or a good roll, so you'd have to do it repeatedly to get a good one.

Finding and unlocking engineers is still a bit of a pain, but actually doing the engineering of modules is much easier. Especially since you can pin a recipe and it can be engineered from any station.

If you haven't seen it, https://inara.cz/galaxy-engineers/ is a good resource with a rundown of all the engineers, their unlock requirements, and what recipes they know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Wait, he was solicited for a response? I figured if he had heard about the Distant Worlds expedition on NerdNewsNow.CA or whatever that it'd be kinda cool of him to reach out and wish them well, but they emailed him first asking for his opinion?

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
The "monoculus rift", or Direkt-Tek VR-Tek WVR2 or WVR3 headset, seems pretty good for the price. I convinced a friend of mine to buy one from Wal-Mart's website for $20 a few weeks ago, but apparently the price on their website has gone up over $100 now. "Good for the price" may not count if it's $150 or whatever, see if you can find it below 100.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/VR-Tek-Windows-VR-Glasses-and-Controller-HD-Resolution-1920x1080-Black/56206936?selected=true

That's what it looks like anyway, prices may vary

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Kjermzs posted:

I want Frog crewmates!

Ya gotta keep looking for them! I was able to find one with the same blurb in their bio a while back, too. If you look for crew members, sometimes their bios will mention local factions like that, so search around at stations in the Goat-Xihe area for crew sympathetic to the Diamond Frogs!

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

pik_d posted:

Does this not work for you?

This stupid thing is super unreliable for me. I think it only shows material traders in systems that you've actually landed at before. I only see like four traders in the whole bubble when I try to use these filters in game.

You can also use Inara to try to find material traders. It lists on the left if it is raw/data/manufactured, even.
https://inara.cz/galaxy-nearest/25/367/

EDIT: Everyone already mentioned all this! But I have a link!

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Just getting the hang of flying your ship is like learning to drive a car or something, once you're used to general handling it'll be much easier.

And the advanced combat tutorial is years old, there have been several changes to how the enemy AI works since it was created. Consequently, it's way harder now than when it was first made, so don't worry about doing the advanced combat.

If you're able to take off from a station, plot a course to another system, perform a jump, approach your destination in supercruise, and successfully request docking and land, that's a huge portion of the game. You'll do that stuff a lot, so just play for a while and you'll get the hang of everything!

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Boy that's a bit of a long update to just say "we'll give you something really cool in 2 years, we promise!!!"

So what is it?? Atmospheric landing? Space legs? Selling in-game hats in the Frontier Store??? Oh, they'll tell us later. Booo.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Powerplay is pretty boring. Unless you're very interested by some of the interesting modules, such as the anime missiles (which are pretty awesome, imo!) or spaceprincess's fancy shields, doesn't really seem worth it to me.

If you want to fight thargoids, if you stick to the lower-threat-level xeno signals, you can fight swarms of small ships. The scouts are pretty easy to fight with regular weapons, no anti-xeno gear particularly necessary. Though the anime missiles are sadly useless against them, they just bounce off!

For other things to do you could go find guardian ruin sites. I found those kinda interesting. Then while there you can collect materials and whatever, blow up some drones, and so forth. Or find other points of interest around space, like megaships, or other stuff like that which has been recently added.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Packhound Missiles! Instead of firing one seeker missile, it fires four "drunken" seeker missiles that swarm your target.

Benefits include more targets for a point defense turret to have to shoot, so you might get at least some missiles to hit, and looking rad as hell.

Here's a gif off google

To get them, like any powerplay module, you need to be rank 4 with the guy who has them and have been pledged for a month. Li Yong Rui has em, so pledge to him, wait three weeks, earn enough points to rank up, then buy a bunch of missiles!

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
One thing that worked pretty well for me was finding a crashed anaconda site. It's a surface site too, sadly, so you still need to use an SRV, but it can be easier to farm than geological sites.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/430906-The-Other-Crashed-Anacondas

The wreckage contains a few "cargo hold" targetable things. You shoot them and some raw materials drop out. There's also some commodities lying around, but you don't need to collect those if you don't want. You can easily logout/login over and over to collect a pile. Involves a bit less driving around than geological sites, and I had mixed results with logout/login to refresh a geological site, it didn't seem to work for me last time I tried. I dunno.

I'm told the one at HIP 16613 is worth visiting, it has some data points and a crashed SRV to check out too. I went to a different one myself, but maybe I'll go there next time I need more mats.

HJE-Cobra fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Mar 4, 2019

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Dareon posted:

Accidentally shot a miner yesterday, who proceeded to blow up through no fault of mine, so I just had to sit in the nearby penal ship for two loving hours because the goddamn notoriety timer doesn't tick down while logged out. That was mildly annoying, but I did get a chuckle out of flight control saying "Hope we don't see you back here again, commander." as I left.

wait is this literally a thing, do you actually in real life have to sit logged in not doing anything in space jail

:stare:

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
I mean I knew that there were spacejails you could be taken to now, but I didn't realize that depending on your spacecrime you may need to actually be imprisoned there. So I knew it was obtuse and complicated and dumb but it just goes another level beyond what I thought possible.

This is mind-boggling.

:psyduck:

For the goon asking about where goonspace is, check out our home system 63 G. Capricorni, near the Xihe system, in what we have dubbed the "Goat-Xihe" cluster

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
If I'm not sure what to put on a gun I just go with Efficient, seems like a straightforward enough basic upgrade over stock. I don't think it has any downsides. Other upgrades might be better for some stuff, but they have some penalties too.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
You can also go to the crash site of Jameson's cobra. There's four data points that can be scanned for story, and also award grade 4 or 5 data. You can scan all four points without moving, if you park right.

Just park, scan all four, relog, repeat until full. Then go trade your data for whatever data you actually want. It's not fun or interesting after the first scan, but fairly efficient, I think.

I don't remember the system it is in offhand, you can find it listed on Canonn's site.

HJE-Cobra fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Mar 18, 2019

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

the milk machine posted:

iirc relogging will reset any materials at a crash site but you can only scan the data points once

Jameson's cobra crash site is a bit different from other crashed Anacondas or whatever. You can definitely rescan all four data points for data materials.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

get the $50 walmart VR and SIT IN THE SHIP :catdrugs:

I agree that this is pretty cool. Here's the URL to get some of them...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/VR-Tek-Windows-VR-Glasses-FHD-Resolution-2560x1440-Black/56206937?selected=true

There's three models, one is currently $20, one $30, one $50. The more expensive ones are slightly newer and better I think. A friend of mine has the $30 one. I've got a Rift, so I tried his out to see how it compares.

The field of view is smaller, and so is the overall resolution, and the head tracking isn't as good, but I think the screen is actually a little crisper than the Rift with less screen door effect. And no sensors to set up. Overall not bad for what he paid, worth it to try out some cheap VR, imo.

The Rift head tracking is way better, though. Plus Rift has 6 degrees of freedom, while these cheap ones have 3. Still, for the price, and if you're able to put up with them being slightly janky, it seems like a cool entry level VR that lets you sit in your spaceship.

HJE-Cobra fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 25, 2019

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
They definitely still take your money, even while idle. So my Diamond Frogs-affiliated NPC crew member just sat around in the space bar while I mined and sold tons of void opals, earning millions of my credits for doing nothing. Any crew member taking 7% or whatever of your money takes 7% of all your money all the time, forever, until you fire them or they die.

Supposedly if they are active participants in combat it slows down your own combat rank increase, but it's slow enough to increase anyway that I haven't personally checked if that ever happened or not. But I'm pretty sure they'd have to be active duty for that, anyway. Last I heard, it supposedly still happens, though I'm not sure it's HALF of the progress? That seems like a lot. I dunno.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
If you want to test the waters of VR you can get a cheapola VR-Tek PC VR headset from WalMart for $20.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/VR-Tek-Windows-VR-Glasses-and-Controller-HD-Resolution-1920x1080-Black/56206936

A friend of mine got the $30 model and said it was absolutely worth the money. I tried it out at his house, and it's definitely slightly janky and not as good as an Oculus Rift or whatever, but for the price it is surprisingly decent. Only has 3-degrees-of-motion tracking, though, but no sensors to set up.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Xae posted:

Track IR is like $125.

A non crap VR head set is $500.

I've heard decent things about Lenovo's Windows Mixed Reality headset, and it's like under $250. Supposedly the WMR headsets work well enough for Elite Dangerous. I haven't personally tried any, though. And a new Oculus Rift S with motion controllers and everything is only $400, too.

Even the cheapola headset from Wal Mart that's under $50 that I linked earlier is cool, though yeah a little janky.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
With the new size 1 slots we got on every ship, I put a 1A fuel scoop on my combat Mamba. I could probably put a small hull reinforcement or whatever to boost some resistances, but man, I don't like having to switch out modules if I'm traveling somewhere in my combat ship.

Though a 1A fuel scoop takes forever to fill up. I dunno, maybe it'd be faster to have my Mamba delivered to wherever I want to do a combat.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Thundarr posted:

A 1A scoop is bad enough on a small ship, it's gotta be just suffering on a medium. May as well use that slot for a docking or cruise assist for when you want to be lazy, or module protection if you want to stay full combat spec.

Yeah it's pretty terrible, but I'm generally only going a few hops within the bubble in the Mamba anyway to get to a combat zone or whatever, or to find an engineer. Just didn't want to have to stop at a station or risk running out of gas on a short drive around the bubble! It's not like I'd go out exploring in the thing.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
The road to riches and deep core mining aren't so bad, you can get spacebucks without much hassle.

But, uh, rank grind and engineering are... considerably more time-consuming.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

haveblue posted:

I had a hankering to go into space so I fired this back up for the first time in more than a year to see what new stuff has been added. How do I make fighting Guardian Sentinels not a tremendous pain in the rear end? The SRV seems completely inadequate for this and my ship can't target them reliably.

Oh, one important thing for fighting Guardian Sentinels is switching to turret mode in the SRV, not just letting it auto-aim. The auto-aim sucks for shooting them, it aims too low. If you're using the turret instead it is way easier to shoot then reliably. Dunno if you're already doing that or not.

And as has been mentioned, yeah your ship has point defense on the top of it and you park your ship near the ruins, it can shoot down the missiles they fire.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

CapnBry posted:

Come on, Frontier. Shouldn't this be the biggest SLOW DOWN in the galaxy? Also, why haven't they changed the most confusing cockpit indicator to SLOWED yet?

SLOWED sounds dumb and would look dumb on the display! I'd rather it be some quasi-technobabble like GRAVITY DRAG or STELLAR BODY INTERFERENCE or something, though that's kinda long.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Gonkish posted:

Did they ever actually make combat worth a drat financially, or does it continue to exist in this state where it's the riskiest and yet also the least lucrative way of earning credits? I haven't played in over a year.

I really need to try mining now, I've been looking up Void Opals and whatnot. Holy poo poo they actually made it semi-interesting?

Yeah, mining for void opals is not only semi-interesting, but also pays quite handsomely! It changed mining from something that I'd never do in a million years to a thing I did to get a billion space bucks. It can be pretty cool to properly place the detonation charges and pop an asteroid.

Just make sure to seek out the high-paying stations once you've got a hold full of void opals. Even having to travel, like, 100 lightyears to get to the nearest one is nothing if it means you'll get hundreds of millions of credits in one shipment.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Either model of the Krait is awesome, really. The Phantom is a little better for longer jump ranges, and the Mk 2 is a bit better for fighting and can fit a fighter craft, but really you can't go wrong with either Krait. They both handle well and can fit lots of modules.

I got one of each, with a Mk 2 for multicrew shooting and a Phantom as a general-purpose mission runner for hanging around the bubble.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Rutibex posted:

Speaking of Thrustmaster, I was at Value Village today and I saw this. Of course I had to pick it up. Oh god what is this game doing to me, I can't afford VR goggles!

But maybe you can!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/VR-Tek-Windows-VR-Glasses-and-Controller-HD-Resolution-1920x1080-Black/56206936

They're cheap and mediocre! Though still require a decent computer.

As for that joystick, it's the same model stick as the one on the T-flight HOTAS, though that one you got doesn't have many buttons. It should be an okay stick, though you'll have to work around the relatively few buttons.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
It is nuts. Obviously it's not as good as an Oculus or whatever. I got one of the slightly better other models, I think mine was like $40? It might be fun for trying out, if you're aware of the limitations of it.

It also doesn't require setting up sensors around your room, so that's nice. But it also doesn't have the 6 degrees of movement, just looking around.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Yes.
https://ed-board.net/en/?m=engineer.component

Is there a website where all these useful links are on one page? Asking for a friend bc my chrome just ate all the ram and then some.

Inara has some handy ways to view data. Maybe it's less of a drain on RAM?

https://inara.cz/galaxy-components/

You can sort this view by grade or type, though it doesn't have those commodities listed on this page too.

https://inara.cz/cmdr-cargo/

The commander cargo page, you can select the tab to view components by type, then they're categorized in a fashion similar to how you'd see them at the in-game components traders. Plus if you login and link your FDev account it can scrape data from their servers and list how many of each component you personally have in your inventory, right now! Otherwise it's just listed as zeroes. Though this page doesn't include how you get them.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Actually you can take out a step, you can auto-deploy hardpoints upon pulling the trigger :v:

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Tommy the Newt posted:

It will only drop from piceous cobble at geological sites because it's a grade 1 material, and then only as a single drop, and will have a chance to be one of the other G1s instead. Geo sites are good because the named outcrops always drop a material of a specific rarity, so crystalline fragments and clusters do G2 and G3 respectively and needle crystals are G4.

Best way to get phosphorus in bulk is the old method of driving around at random and shooting the old RNG piñatas you scan with the SRV radar thing.

Wouldn't it be better to collect some G3 or 4 of whatever element is in the same category, and then find a materials trader and trade down? You get a good amount of G1 materials for any high grade stuff you trade.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
I wouldn't say fighters are USELESS for exploring. If you fly something big and slow, hopping into a fighter for zipping around canyons on a planet surface can be a fun change of pace.

It's nothing actually, like, functional for anything, but they're fun to fly around on a surface.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
If you want to visit Sol, you'll need to get some ranks with the Federation.

Their logo is this one:

Check the mission boards at stations, an do Hu missions for minor factions that are allied with the Federation. They should have that logo next to them. The Federation doesn't have a presence in every system, so you might need to look around a bit.

That said, an Eagle is really more suitable as a small fighter, not a small cargo ship. But of course, you can fit cargo racks in anything to do some basic shipping. Data deliveries are easy missions that don't even require cargo racks, as the data is just kinda stored digitally or whatever.

Doing some simple delivery missions is a good enough way to get started in the game.

For exploration, check out the "Road to Riches" that some people have plotted out. It's some basic exploration around the general bubble of civilization in the galaxy, to identify and scan earthlike planets. Upon delivering your scan data, you get a decent amount of cash, good for starting out. I think this is a link for more info... https://www.edtutorials.com/new-commanders/credits-for-new-players-the-road-to-riches-2020/

You wouldn't necessarily need to do all of it, but at least finding a few high-value planets and scanning them could get some decent cash.

HJE-Cobra fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 18, 2020

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Multicrew is garbage and worthless. You can play with fighters, that's the only worthwhile thing to do in it; it's really useful for the person piloting though because they get extra pips to direct to eng/sys/wep. Wing stuff is a little better, especially if everybody actually brings roughly equally-good ships, but it doesn't really get much better than what you experienced. Make sure you turn your wing beacon on, though (rightmost panel, under the ship options like cargo scoop/spotlights/etc., it turns off every time you restart the game because :frontear:)

To follow up to this, using wing beacons, you CAN do wingman nav-lock, which isn't quite a /follow but does automate some of the frameshift jumping and dropping.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
A while ago, players were able to submit requests to the devs to have minor factions like that added to the universe. There's hundreds of them now. Diamond Frogs is the official goon faction, and is both the name for the group of players, and the in-game minor faction that holds territory in space. Since they added guilds, Diamond Frogs is also our player group name in game.

I think they stopped accepting requests for minor factions a year or two ago, though.

There is also one power play faction that was based on a player group, too. Yuri Grom in power play represents a big Russian player group who won the power play faction games a while ago, which was a series of community goal missions. The Diamond Frogs supported group sadly did not win.

HJE-Cobra fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 25, 2020

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Oh, that's good to know. Maybe they just changed how it worked when guilds came out or something? I thought I heard it stopped for a while, but I may be mistaken. Makes sense though, since you can associate a player guild with a minor faction and all.

Anyway, so anyone can do missions for and support the Diamond Frogs minor faction by running missions or whatever in its systems, but joining the Diamond Frogs guild (or squadron or whatever it's called) requires an application and stuff.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Woo, today I blew up a thargoid interceptor for the first time, all by myself! It was exciting.

I think reading internet tips and equipping experimental and guardian modules helped a lot. Guardian gauss cannons seemed very effective.

HJE-Cobra fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 29, 2020

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
I used a shield. But the gauss cannons felt so effective against it, since it was the smallest and easiest variant, that I felt like I had a lot of room for error. Definitely recommend at least 2 gauss for fighting those things. Each successful shot just feels like it has such a good punch on it.

And with only four hearts to destroy, it wasn't as impossible as I feared going in. I only had one unsuccessful attempt before success, and I didn't die, I just fled.

HJE-Cobra fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 29, 2020

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Normal-normal weapons are practically useless, yeah. You can fight smaller scouts with normal guns, but it's not very great. There is a line of AX weapons (anti-xeno) that you can purchase at select bases, but even those are not super effective against the larger interceptors. When they first came out, AX weapons were pretty much the only way to kill interceptors, but guardian stuff greatly outclasses them. The AX multicannons work well against small thargoid scouts, though.
https://elite-dangerous.fandom.com/wiki/AX_Multi-cannon

The guardian stuff is definitely the good stuff versus thargoids. But they're a bit complicated to unlock. Gauss are hitscan weapons that are strong, and are at most medium-size hardpoints, even. You can get guardian plasma cannons in large, but it's harder to hit stuff due to slow projectile velocity. But if you want to get your feet wet fighting some thargoids, you could load up as many turreted AX multicannons as you can fit, whatever engineering you can put in your ship, and go to the Coalsack Nebula to find a Non-Human Signal Source, Threat level 3. Threat 3 signals only have two scout ships, and that could be fought with minimal engineering/specialized weapons. AX multicannons should shred scouts relatively quick.

I fought the smallest one of the big thargoid interceptors, a Cyclops. I then went and blew up two more of them! Woo, take that thargoids!!

HJE-Cobra fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
I think that pretty much any engineering recipe is going to be superior to unengineered, though. That said, some are definitely better than others.