Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

So let's say one is a dumb babby whose experience with the game consists of "finished the tutorial and made ship go zoom". What do I do to take advantage of this likely-temporary money bonanza? Where do I go to get started and can I even get there in the starter ship? I have no idea how fuel/distances work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Orv posted:

I have only played Elite in small chunks over the years so I might be out of date on some of this but in order;

https://inara.cz/galaxy-commodity/10269/

Go here, go to the Best Buy tab and sort by price, find a system that's selling around 4k/t or so. Then put that system name into the system box on the right side of the page under Tritium, go to the Best Sell tab and sort by distance (not st distance.) Ideally you want a station buying for 80k+/t with high demand, which you can check against that station in the last tab of that page. Lower demand means you won't be paid the full 80k/t but it won't be that much lower in my experience.

Getting there in a Sidewinder will take a minute because of your jump range but it should be doable, provided you don't run into that extremely annoying belt of brown dwarfs that's out in this direction. Basically, buy a fuel scoop - and a bigger fuel tank if you can swing it - for your Sidewinder, look up a tutorial on youtube for fuel scooping because it's much easier to just see it done in a thirty second video, set your buying destination as a route in your galaxy map (left cockpit panel, galaxy map, second tab, enter name, set course) and then go there, either fuel scooping or buying fuel from stations on the way.

E: Buy Tritium, do that until you can afford a hauler and fill the hauler with cargo bays, do the hauler until you can afford a Type 5 and cargo bays, then a Type 9 and cargo bays, then dehumanize yourself to space trucking.

Thanks, this is perfect. I'm guessing those three-pointed icons are the carriers I should avoid?

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

So I usually bounce off of these games because I get quickly bored with either arbitrage spreadsheet simulator or drilling space rock. I'm hoping to avoid this by focusing on exploration with some combat to break things up. Am I going to have problems if I don't specialize in one or the other? My ideal would be traveling to new and interesting places, killing a few simple bounties, and/or making money off of the cool poo poo I find.

I just got into a Cobra MK 3 so I'm not sure if that's feasible anytime soon or not.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

I didn't know you could have carrier "taxis". Assuming that you have to be in open play for that? Or is it a service they can sell from the station menu?

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

That's insanely cool, and if you check the general stats on their website they average ~44 rescues a day. That's :captainpop: and I firmly believe the goon tip to filter star systems for fuel scoopage has saved many of us from that fate.

On an unrelated note, I absolutely love my Krait MKII. I turned it into a combat scout ship and it loving owns. It murders everything with ease and has a 36 LY jump range. This is a dangerous Viper MkIII and I can just pop them like zits:

Is there another higher-end combat ship I can shoot for behind a rep grind or something? Not that I'm dissatisfied with my Krait but it's nice to have something to shoot for :haw:. I'd like it to be able to land at outposts, have a fighter bay, and maybe some more/bigger hardpoints. If not oh well, I'll happily live in my Krait forever

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Tommy the Newt posted:

Sometimes people think it's better to stick with the 'natural progression', but honestly in the case of Elite there will always be hoops to jump through.

As a fellow (relative) newbie, I'm usually like that but no seriously take the free money. The cash is the biggest up-front obstacle to a good time but it's also a tiny, tiny part of being able to actually do stuff well.

Imagine Elite as a painting. The cash will buy you some decent canvasses and some paint. You can throw that poo poo on right away but it's not going to be fine art. You still have to grind for the brush and every individual bristle on it. The more bristles you get the better your painting starts to look but it will take for-loving ever to actually get every individual bristle on your brush to paint a masterpiece. Then if you decide you want a premium canvass you have a grind equivalent to threading every fiber by hand.

Thank you for coming to my Elite TED talk

Edit: Speaking of, is there a decent way to grind Federation rep right now? All the guides seem to be outdated. I'm doing alright just running high-rep delivery missions between stations but I'm wondering if there's something faster.

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jul 1, 2020

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

I hate it when you get poo poo caught on your grill

Edit:

calandryll posted:

I was running a tritium run a few days ago, buying at 4k and selling about 51k, and a short hop 15 ly I think. But it was the only station at the time with tritium below 40k.

Yeah I just did that one last week, made like 600 mil with a Type 9 over a few hours. I had to wait a few days for it to pop up - it seems it's still happening but finding a good source is getting harder.

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 7, 2020

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

I know I'm a little late to hop on the train but I just wanted to say that mining in this game is good and fun. I usually hate mining and resource gathering in space (or any) games but they've made it very engaging and rewarding even if you don't cheese the triple-hotspot LTD craze.

I think everyone should try subsurface and deep-core mining at least once, it's pretty unique. I was not prepared for the ginormous explosion and shockwave the first time I cracked an asteroid open. I thought I was loving dead when the shockwave hit me and I lol'd pretty hard after. It's pretty loving awesome and is nearly as satisfying as combat.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

So that overlapping void opal/LTD hotspot I found could be pretty good now. It's much closer to everything too!

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

The Locator posted:

I think you might be bad at math. :v:

I made 300 mil hauling LTDs today and I'm closing on 2 billion. Three more trips like that and I'll have enough for a carrier!

I don't see what the big deal is, it's not a bad grind at all

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Void Opals still look good, 1.3 mil and core mining is fun as hell. You just have to really nail down how to find asteroids with cores in them.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

FebrezeNinja posted:

On a different mining note, late-comers to the deep space support array (carriers being stationed around the galaxy for explorer repair/supply) are finding that the new nerf has drastically reduced the viability of mining tritium, possibly by 90%: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/hrr6nz/dssa_initiative_under_threat_from_massive_tritium/

Wow, so one the greatest player-driven ambitions in the game just had the rug pulled out from under them. It sounds like a bunch of carriers are going to have a bitch of a time getting back or progressing further with the dramatically-reduced fuel supply.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Polo-Rican posted:

"gig economy worker in space" simulation

Just had to say this is a great description. I really enjoy all of the activities in the game and I tend to rotate around depending on what strikes my fancy. I love the combat so I'll go kill in CZs if there's a war on, bounty hunt or do massacre missions at HazRes sites, or take assassination missions if I feel like being a space hitman. The home front stuff helps point me at things to do so I feel like I'm helping a bigger cause, too.

Then if I get bored of all that I'll go core mining in my python because blowing up asteroids is fun for a few hours (and still profitable!). Or I'll go find a new planet with some raw materials I need and go drive around on that. Or I'll switch to my explorer anaconda and jump a few thousand light years out to find cool new things. Or run Tritium (RIP) between 2 stations in a Type 9 to do some profitable space trucking. Or go alien hunting (haven't jumped into that yet), or...

There's a lot of neat poo poo to do in this game. A lot of it isn't super deep but there's enough variety to keep me engaged. The biggest problem imo is that a lot of that is locked behind a massive gently caress-you engineering grind that you have to get through first, especially for anything combat-related. And I'm told that grind is by far the best it has ever been!

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

chaosapiant posted:

Whoa hey now, what is this thing? Don’t think I’ve seen this thing before? Because I haven’t.

It appears to be a gaping hole in space. I think you can find it just past Uranus

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Thundarr posted:

The Corvette's command station is superior in every way. You're right up front and center and the flight deck is both spacious and has that brutally efficient Core Dynamics style. Plus the flight deck is set towards the rear of the hull so you get a majestic view of your enormous space dong thrusting out in front of you.

100% agree, I don't think I'll find a ship I like more than the corvette. It has the right balance of feeling like a big, commanding mofo while still being nimble enough to be pleasant in combat and general flight.

It's also just short enough to let you scan planetary data stations with your ship by about 10m. The Anaconda is too long to actually point your nose and scan them. That was an unpleasant surprise when I first tried it

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Ambaire posted:

Really wish synthing SRVs was an option. Limpets and thousands of rounds of ammo and whatnot can be synthed.. how hard can a buggy be?

They all laughed at my Exploraconda with 4 SRV bays. But by damnit I want to feel free to drive like a maniac when I'm in the middle of nowhere and try to launch my SRV into orbit.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

One of the reasons I prefer the Corvette to the 'conda is it's short enough to let you (barely) get close enough to ground terminals to scan them from your ship when doing planetary mission. The Anaconda is too long.

Also as far as having a bunch of ship under you, I actually get around that by inverting the ship to get myself lined up. Then you can roll when you have a good angle of approach. This works fantastically for planetary landings - go in upside down then roll over when you enter glide. I've found relying on the radar and altimeter are best for actual touchdown, though. Use your instruments!

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Raithe posted:

Shatner voicepack

:stare:

:10bux:

Thank you.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

I haven't tried thargoid stuff yet. Are normal weapons entirely useless against them? Like do people use the guardian gauss because they're just super effective or are they literally the only thing that will kill thargoids?

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Boogalo posted:

They get a cut of every credit that hits your wallet while they're hired even when they're warming a barstool at Frogbear's

I also appreciate that they give you a lifetime earnings report so you can see how much money they've leeched. I'm up to about half a billion in lost cash!

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Yeah I kept my expectations extraordinarily low. I've been intentionally taking a break from the game and staying off the alpha so I don't get burned out/jaded ahead of release but I drunkenly stumbled on to try it last night. Just walking around the station or being able to step foot outside of my ship increased ~my immersion~ by a lot and that works for me. The combat may blow and everything else may end up being a pointless waste of time but that alone made me happy.

I mean they shouldn't release garbage content and it's probably horribly overpriced for the state it's apparently in but I'm a man of simple and strange pleasures. Also I hope literally everything isn't unbound for foot controls when it goes live, having to tell the game how to turn left and figure out where I want 500 key binds right off the bat is annoying.

Edit: Ok I accidentally entered a ground combat zone and that has to be some of the worst shooting I've ever experienced. Everything was a massive bullet sponge, ammo count is way too loving low, and it was just bad. Like everything about the shooting was bad. It feels convoluted and tedious. Wow was it bad.

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 07:24 on May 3, 2021

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Ben Quebec posted:

I'm having fun but I hosed up a stealthy, download something mission. So I ended up doming everyone with the double barrel plasma shotgun (highly recommend) and have a big rear end bounty. lol

I'm also gonna make a bootleg Aliens dropship out of the keelback. Just really kit it for ground missions. Prox mines to drop bombs, fighters and an SRV bay. It'll be fun as hell.

I was just coming to ask what people were using for ground weapons. I only tried like one battle in the alpha and the weapon I picked (longish-range one, w/e it was) felt incredibly anemic and unsatisfying. The pistol was actually better but dudes were (probably still are) bullet sponges and having to button mash the semi-auto trigger isn't something I want to do all the time

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

I guess I have advanced brainworms because I'm loving this. I'm lucky enough to have a PC that can power through the poo poo optimization which seems to be the main complaint. I really enjoy doing the salvaging missions and cutting into doors/lockers and looting. The shooting part is a bit mediocre (and I had a terrible time with it in the alpha) but there's 1 Good Gun that I've found is fun and effective to use - the Manticore Executioner plasma rifle. The first shot strips shields and the second kills. Every time. Enemies also stagger when their shields break so it's the only gun that actually feels like it has an impact with every hit.

Also I'm really enjoying just running around, standing next to my ships, and going on stations. It really helps with my immersion way more than it should. Sure every station will be the same with a different coat of paint. And I'll probably notice the same few ground station assets being reused and memorize the layouts before long. But I'm still loving it... maybe I'm just broken idk

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Yeah I tried to swap out some hard points and... is there really no way to see what modifications are on a weapon now in the outfitter? And I can't select the hard point and then pick a stored weapon to go in there, I have to specifically go in to stored modules first? Although you may want to go in and remove your equipped hard point weapon before swapping, because apparently if you try to swap it out it'll default to selling what you already have equipped. I was one button away from selling a fully engineered multicannon before I noticed wtf I was about to do. At least they gave you a tiny toggle in the bottom right so you can not sell your engineered weapons off!

These UI changes are loving atrocious. I can't believe they made the process of swapping equipment on ships even more painful. They took away so much functionality and useful information. gently caress

Edit : vvv Speaking of, is there a way to set a destination within a system with the new poo poo UI? I liked jumping into a system with the station already selected. I tried doing it through bookmarks but it doesn't seem to work anymore. :confused:

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 08:39 on May 21, 2021

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Tommy the Newt posted:

Dear goons, if you have a spare 30 seconds it would be fantastic if you could vote this issue up on the tracker https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/35479 The good news is they've acknowledged it as an issue... toot toot.

It involves signing in with your game account details and pressing an up arrow.

Done.

Also I really enjoy the new ground content a lot more than I thought I would. But the full extent of the grind is coming into view and it is soul-crushingly absurd. I've put in some decent time since release doing nothing but ground missions. I did some system hopping to get a jump start on upgrades (G2 suits, G3 plasma weapons) and now I'd like to do some missions to unlock engineers and upgrade stuff and wow. I still haven't found enough materials to make a single upgrade of anything, even G1 stuff, using solely what I've scavenged. And I painstakingly strip places clean whenever I have a mission. Now granted I've hoarded tons of other junk which I can trade away at the bartender which would let me do either a single G3->G4 upgrade or maybe a few G1>G2. But that would basically decimate my inventory and I'm not sure what I'll need for engineer modifications.

Speaking of, I don't see how I'll ever get them unlocked unless a straight-up exploit is found a la reloading jameson's crash site. The initial 3 aren't bad but some of the introduction requirements get insane. Hero Ferarri wants 5 Settlement Defence Plans. I download everything everywhere and I have yet to find one, and they don't show up as mission rewards. I finally managed to get enough push for Domino Green, but to use that next engineer I need to sell Forty (40) opinion polls to a bartender. After playing since Odyssey release I just found my first opinion poll last night while cheesing for Push. I will never, ever find that many just doing missions and playing the game.

IMO ground materials and engineering are totally hosed. I like having long-term goals but they should at least feel obtainable. I want to log in and play but it feels like a single upgrade I want is at least 50-100 hours away at best so it's like why even try for it? And I'm still not even sure how to target the thing I really want (night vision).

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Also worth noting is that it appears that the weekly thursday resets restock those upgrades, so if you find someone talking about a sweet thing they picked up and camp yourself on wednesday night you have the potential to snipe it first thing in the morning, if it comes down to it.

Wow so it actually restocks the exact same item? That'd be amazing, there's a thread on the forums filled with goodies that were bought out and it'd be awesome to get ahold of them.

I wish they'd make it so it wasn't first-come-first-serve. But alas

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Fojar38 posted:

Actually it's not a bad system to be honest if it gets more player activity in remote areas. Every time I'm offered a mission that takes me 69,420ls away from the target parent stare I might actually take it on the offchance that there are some rare items at the destination rather than ignoring it offhand.

As it stands now if you're doing missions you have very little incentive to do any that require long supercruises.

I mean you could get that without the competition. Randomize the stock every week and it'd be like a community scavenger hunt for items. You still might end up with a reward for going to obscure places, but the benefit is the community could also benefit from you scouting it out too! Or if someone else finds it you'd have a "good" reason to spend 10 minutes traveling 200k ls through supercruise

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Groggy nard posted:

G3 Maverick suit with Quiet Footsteps and G3 plasma sniper with Extended Magazines feels like cheating vs scavengers.

How many more shots do you get out of that mod?

And yeah it's fun clowning on scavengers when you get upgraded gear. I had a G3 Dom suit with a plasma sniper / shotgun on a low grav planet. I felt like the predator popping a dude with the rifle then hopping around rooftops getting the others that showed up to search. The last guy I lept down directly at him then double tapped him with the shotgun as I was landing. It was fun and something I hadn't done since playing low grav Unreal Tournament in the early 2000s.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Groggy nard posted:

Five shots total, so plus two I think. That's enough to reliably kill two people per reload if I had any skill, and sometimes force a third into cover while charging them with the plasma pistol like some kind of action hero.

The "swap weapons to kill one guy" game seems to be different than the one I am currently playing.

Hell yeah, same. I only like using plasma for my main weapon because swapping like that for every dude feels clunky as hell. However my sidearm of choice is the karma kinetic pistol since I found a G3 with stowed reload and it's actually really good on unshielded enemies. So if I have perfect aim I can kill one guy with my plasma rifle, strip shields off of a second, then use my sidearm to finish them off. It's also fun using the pistol on all the unshielded scientists when raiding a settlement.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

"Map UI - Selecting a bookmark and then plotting a route will now plot a route to that bookmark location, instead of just the system it is in."

Oh thank God

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

The quickest way to stop reinforcements is to kill the alarms at the respective panel. I've had reinforcements stop after a couple guys, and one experiment where I murked like 50 dudes and they kept coming. I have no idea what actually governs it. You can just hop in your ship/srv to auto dump your inventory into your storage. Stealth doesn't work, like at all. You can stealth kill guards by sneaking up behind them with the energy transfer gizmo (3 key) set to Crime Time Mode™️ (tap R with it out), and that silently instagibs them. You will still get a bounty and the minute somebody else scans you they'll see it and freak out. Considering that the penalties are laughably cheap it's much easier to murder everyone. The only real penalty is that when you 'turn yourself in' you get teleported to lame-o jail and have ride a taxi out.

The fact that you still get bounties for killing without being seen is weird but I overall find the stealth system to be pretty good. Much better than what I thought it would be! I managed to get a audio masked Executioner plasma rifle and it completely changed how I take out outposts. It's fairly easy to kill all settlement guards without anyone knowing you're there. Even if you're seen the other guards won't be alerted unless they manage to fire a shot at you. And even if others are alerted they'll go to where the guard shot from, not where you were. So if you stick to the rooftops it's pretty easy to disappear when the guards respond, and if you wait a minute or two they'll drop their guard (shields) again and you can resume stealth killing. No alarms, no waves of enemies descending on you, and imo it makes it real interesting to clear outposts.

Also I really appreciate that audio masking will work indoors too if you vent the atmosphere in a building. So if you find an exterior panel hiding an atmosphere control panel you can vent it before going in and stay stealthy. Or I have a nose suppressed Tormentor pistol if that isn't an option... Also I noticed if you disable alarms before trying to remove a power regulator enemies won't swarm to the building while it's deactivating, but they will come check it out when the power finally cuts out.

I gotta say the ground stuff really exceeded my expectations, there are a lot of fine details they implemented that are fun and interesting. Like cutting panels to vent atmosphere before assassinating people inside feels badass. Going through and looting abandoned settlements makes me feel like a space scavenger. The CZs are actually fun for shooting mans and gives off a real space marine vibe. Or just raining down death from above with dumbfire rockets is great too!

Edit: I've never gotten notoriety from ground missions even if I stay in my ship and just napalm everything. Maybe that's different at certain sites but it doesn't appear to be an issue if it's linked to a mission at least.

Edit 2: Oh yeah, I put overload on my dumbfire missiles and it actually makes them not terrible for stripping shields if you like having a multipurpose ship. I think it works better against shielded ground mans too! I've been running a Krait Mk 2 with 3 large multis (autoloader, incendiary, corrosive) with 2 advanced missile racks (overload). It can kill settlement defenses, obliterate everyone in a settlement, and clear high CZs to boot. It also has a decent 38-39 yard jump range. It's been my new main ship since odyssey dropped, I love it even more now!

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 5, 2021

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

tjones posted:

Curb your desire to fly large combat ships. The grind for the Conda, Vette, or Cutter has killed more of my friends' desires to play the game than anything else. Some burned out before they even achieved their goal.

Large ships are not fun to fly, they're even less fun to engineer. Fly small or medium ships, do dumb poo poo, and have fun. Work on a large build in your downtime or after you've had all the fun you can have in your medium ships. Just know it still won't be worth it.

Ymmv, but I grinded out a fully-engineered corvette and it's my favorite ship. It feels like a big capital ship but still maneuvers well enough to not be clunky. I love flying it. I use it for CZs, mat collection, missions... basically anything you can do inside the bubble. With the guardian booster you can get it up to a ~30 LY jump range which is fine for getting around. If it could land at outposts I'd probably never use my Krait MK2.

You can easily set it up for multirole and still sleepwalk through high CZs. Unless you're PvPing the one in the goon guide is way, way over engineered for PvE.

Edit: Here's how I'm set up for multirole:

https://s.orbis.zone/f8bg

You still have some hull and module protection but your shields will never drop in PvE lol

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jun 8, 2021

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Gort posted:

Black holes in this game aren't particularly threatening. You're more at risk being near a star.

Yeah that kinda ruined them for me tbh. IIRC all they really do is spike your heat a bit (but not nearly as much as a star?) I remember finding one and just flying up to it and having nothing really happen.

Would be cool if they started pulling you in and doing scaling damage to your ship the closer you got. And maybe have a mass multiplier for FSD spool up time based on how close you are.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

lagidnam posted:

This weeks patch comes it at 2,6GB.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/elite-dangerous-odyssey-update-3.581500/

After I finally got used to only plot a route when I'm already in supercruise.

"Added modifications tab to the shop / stored modules browser in the outfitting UI, in the same style as the ship loadout slots display."

Oh my God does this mean we can (again) see what mods are on a module now when swapping? That was one of the most egregiously bad UI changes. IMO the only worse change was making the default option "sell" when swapping out modules and requiring you to keep flipping a small switch to not accidentally destroy your fully-engineered equipment.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I'm finally getting into Oddysey content and actually really enjoy it! It's really neat raiding settlements and doing all the mission activities.

There is definitely some more optimization to be done though, as I still get drops into 30FPS on my RTX 3070 + i7-8700K.

Earlier someone posted regarding finding upgraded equipment for sale. Is there a guide for that? I've only found a couple of T2 pieces so far.

I did the item hunt for most of my equipment. Stations will randomly carry pre-upgraded equipment up to grade 3 that may also have some pre installed mods (night vision, audio masking, anything that can be engineered). The big catch is there is only one of that item available for purchase. So if someone else goes to that station first and buys it it's gone forever. New, random stock shows up with Thursday reset so that's the best time to go hunting for it. Stuff close to jump in points gets cleared out quickly, and I found a lot of my best items by checking planetary ports.

There's also a sharing thread on the forums:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/the-great-pre-upgraded-gear-sharing-is-caring-thread.576352/

But be ready to race, most items are gone in less than 10 minutes of being posted.

Edit: Yeah it really sucks, but sadly this method is basically the only way to get certain mods that are functionally impossible to obtain through the engineering grind as it stands now. And even if you spend 8 hours flying around on a Thursday looking for a G3 suit... that's still significantly quicker than it would be to upgrade a G1 from scratch. It's that bad.

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 12, 2021

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

FishMcCool posted:

A G2 suit/gun with a good mod is a far better starting point than an empty G3 imho.

Agreed and that's a good point. Something like NV is worth way more than an empty G3 and G2s aren't that hard to find if you don't care about a specific mod.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Some quickdraw action with my suppressed plasma pistol. Leaning hard into some space western vibes

If you had told me a few months ago Elite: Dangerous would become one of my favorite stealth shooting games I would have lol'd heartily in your face.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Blue On Blue posted:

how many hours of poopsockery did it take you to make that pistol?

It's a G4 so a decent amount, but a G2 pistol (which you can find/make... relatively easily) will 1 shot most guards and all workers/scientists with a headshot. G3 will 1 shot scientists with a body shot, and the G4 should 1 shot guards but I haven't tested it yet.

Noise suppressor is unlocked with an initial engineer so that's the worst part, but the materials weren't that terrible to come across.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

So the noise suppressor is for pressurized environments, audio masking is for depressurized. Audio masking is behind one of the last engineers and is drat near impossible to unlock. It's also the most useful since it works outside AND it will also work inside if you vent the atmosphere in a building.

I run audio masking on my plasma rifle (found it in a station for sale) and noise suppressor on my pistol. If I had to choose one I'd say audio masking is more useful since you can make it work inside and out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Statutory Ape posted:

I assume this makes the "covert" or "professional" assassinate missions easier ?

Oh my God yes. Just hop on a rooftop and start popping guards with the rifle without anyone raising shields or having a clue what's going on. Then cut your way into the power building at your leisure for a level 3 clearance and to disable/find the alarm console (just in case). I routinely clear entire bases without anyone firing a shot back and go on a looting spree after. Steal all the power regulators.

Edit: Also if you shut off the alarm guards won't rush to the power building immediately, they'll only start heading that way when the power actually turns off. So if you just want to steal the regulator you can stealth kill everyone inside, start the countdown, then grab it and gtfo before everyone comes over to check out why the power is down. A neat touch imo

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jun 13, 2021