Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

purple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Are there any black hole primary systems in the bubble? If not, what's the closest one? I've seen plenty of black holes but not alone or as the primary star.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Orv posted:

HIP 63835 is the closest, IIRC? It's not fuckoff huge though.

Might not be primary though, I forget.

Unfortunately it's an O star, which seems to be a fairly common main star for a black hole companion. Same with I think every other black hole I've ever seen.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Orv posted:

Ah, drat. According to this tool your closest option is Praea Euq MR-W e1-5 at only 1,245.04 ly from Sol.

Thanks, for some reason I never thought about searching for it with a tool.

It's only 18 jumps from me so I'll give it a peek!

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Well that was the first time I've slammed into the primary star of a system while actively trying to avoid it.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Help how do I ask to dock if my sensors are destroyed???

edit: okay found the reboot/repair function, this is the first time I've ever had to use it!

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 12, 2021

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Actually, shooting on-foot enemies may be the one use case for turrets plus multicrew!

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I think ground combat would be better suited to the game if full-size ships were banned from it somehow and it was balanced around the only vehicles being fighters and SRVs (with new chassis and loadout options available, like fighters.) Balancing it around engineered full-size ships seems like something Frontier isn't up to the task for - hell, engineering is so out of whack I don't think anyone could balance it.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

If I am using the suits with one main weapon, I would take the plasma sniper rifle any day with the plasma pistol as a backup. But the Dominator suit, which has two primary weapon slots, the laser assault rifle and the bullet assault rifle with swapping as needed works well - far better than one of those weapons alone.

Doing the laser/bullet swap with a primary and a pistol seems bad though.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Once I deleted the old graphics configuration I was able to run it just fine at just under 1080p (my TV has a native 1680x1050 resolution) on ultra on a Ryzen 1800X and Geforce 1050Ti, which is a bit under the recommended settings. Sometimes something weird happens and the settlement FPS takes a poo poo and stays that way until I restart the game though.

I actually like the on foot gameplay a lot. The combat zones aren't anything groundbreaking but is surprisingly solid given the game, engine focus, and team. There's also a big variety of settlement types, missions, and ways to interact with them - far bigger than I was expecting, since I had low expectations.

I was expecting something closer to SRV gameplay where there were only a couple of mission types, one SRV with one configuration, and only a couple of enemy types, if you're generous and count turrrets. I had fun with the SRV gameplay for a little bit before it got old and I was worried that they were going to pull something similar with on-foot gameplay.

It remains to be seen if they just abandon on-foot gameplay here, but at least there's a lot more to it than SRV stuff. I really wish they'd shore up SRV gameplay with more SRV choices and several configuration choices per SRV (like how fighters work) with more mission, more enemies, and more settlement types to raid... but I'm not holding my breath.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Josh Christ posted:

Got back into elite recently after my girlfriend got me a hotas so playing it isn't a miserable nightmare, and I've been chugging my way through road to riches to make some cash and get my elite Explorer ranking. My next step, after I unlock Jameson, is to get a ship outfitted and engineered for going out into the black exploring. Should I stick with my trusty dback explorer, should I get an asp explorer/anaconda, recommend me a ship

DBX is my favorite running around ship.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Bohemian Nights posted:

Took a dropship to a conflict zone, got treated to a fairly neat animation of being dropped from some drop bay in the vulture. Pretty cool, except that there's nothing going on here. This place is "in conflict" but it's also devoid of NPCs lol

There should be a big deathmatch but I guess you ran into a bug?

Only bug I've run into is once I joined a battle and I didn't get any of the UI elements for it like the team scores and capture points, or the announcer voice.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

My only real goal with the small amount of sussing out the engineers I've done thus far was "figure out who the gently caress lets me do night vision on my suit"

it's really great landing within 10 feet of a crash site on the dark side of a planet and then being literally incapable of finding it without using an SRV anyways

I'm desperately trying to get night vision on suits as well but in the mean time I've been making use of my ship's lights:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Elendil004 posted:

I accidentally tagged a settlement I was trying to power on so it went 'hostile'. Is there a way to clear that or are you just hosed sorry idiots I was shooting the bad guys c'mon.

I've done this - killing scavengers with my ship weapons before landing - and while the base goes red, it has not had any consequences.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

HJE-Cobra posted:

You don't need to go to space jail. You can just pay off your fines/bounties at an Interstellar Factors contact, and you don't go to jail for that. Crimes are meaningless.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

That's correct, those places are from the Horizons expansion and mainly exist as targets for certain SRV missions that you can get from the in-ship mission board. The number of +s indicates the size of the facility. Other than mission-related stuff there isn't really any reason to go to them, but I think I remember sometimes getting data for ship engineering from hacking data nodes.

I thought SRV missions were pretty cool but like anything in this game it's interesting for a bit and then gets boring once you've seen all the limited variety.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

That would require Frontier to revisit something they added to this game

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Strategic Tea posted:

I have always found something really intensely unsettling about black holes in particular, if I'm in a game where I can fly around them.

Dunno why, it's a monkey brain fear so I'm sure it isn't because "hmm yes thanks to FACTS AND LOGIC I know physics doesn't work here"

I know that black holes can't really harm you in this game beyond overheating you or pulling you out of supercruise if you get too close like any other stellar body, but they still give me the jibblies for some reason.

Edit: That reminds me, do the updated Odyssey graphics make the gravitational lens effect affect things other than the skybox now? During Horizons I once visited the NGC 7822 nebula and found a black hole that was very close to a supergiant star and was disappointed to find that the lens effect did not affect the nearby star - in fact, the star was so close and took up so much of the view that it hid the black hole that was between me and it entirely!

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 9, 2021

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Statutory Ape posted:

now, as far as radiation and whatnot, well, idk how this game handles all that

Like many things, it doesn't

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

There should at least be a cockpit light toggle in the right-side menu.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I like the settlement missions and combat zones that exist a lot. Even though the smart bet is no more substantial additions to on-foot content because Frontier, I'm still hoping for Guardian and Thargoid on-foot content and on-foot AX CZs eventually.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Live by lawlessness, die by lawlessness I guess. I would have thought the point of being an anarchist faction is so you could avail yourself of the benefits but it's actually "no please don't make use of the benefits we're dying"

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

That's certainly one approach to fixing the framerate problems

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

In a DBX I crashed into and overheated from a neutron star a couple dozen times trying to figure out how to get a boost from it. Not that it's hard, it's just without knowing specifically how to do it other than a vague notion of "fly through a streams" it took me a while to figure it out. I think I just got taken down like 2 or 3% hull through all of it. I'm not sure how people are dying to stars.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Are you kidding? I love slamming the throttle and hitting a tiny rock, causing my SRV to reverse, flip over, and roll 100 meters on its side back in the direction I came from.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Solumin posted:

For some reason a fleet carrier was buying rhodplumsite for 1.7 million per ton. A couple hours of surprisingly successful core mining later, I'm 250 million credits richer.

Maybe the owner fatfingered an extra 0 onto that price?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Odyssey has a lot of really great stuff in it but like everything in the game it's a good base that will never get expanded on

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I like the DBX because it jumps far and looks like an attack helicopter

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I hate how the game gives time estimates for star systems in supercruise when if you actually fly the distance the system doesn't load in

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Even the Sidewinder has a lot more internal space than just the cockpit so it probably has at least a minimal cabin, galley, and toilet. The other ships are that much bigger so you probably have all the toilets you could ever want while solo crewing an Anaconda. Use a different toilet each time over a whole month; that is the real freedom afforded to you as a Commander

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

HonorableTB posted:

This post made me lol

I kind of agree that the game sucks and is a waste of time even though I have hundreds of hours in it, but lol at the NPC pirate being called toxic scum