Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

There's a bug right now where module priorities are getting randomly reset to 1 some of the times I enter or exit an instance. And I'm flying an unengineered Vulture right now. I found this out when I got interdicted, deployed hardpoints, and immediately shut down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Edit: very beaten.
Have a crazy pulsar as penance.

FebrezeNinja fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 3, 2019

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Ziji posted:

How often does Horizons go on sale? I always keep missing it and it's been on my list forever.
According to isthereanydeal, every couple of months. Probably will be in a summer sale?

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Artificer posted:

Oh poo poo I should have been picking up those discarded bits huh?

Yeah lol I think I went a little mad and did void opal hunting to try and progress so fast and long story short I went from a sidewinder to a python in a weekend and uh yeah it was bad

Edit: So how does engineering work? What should I expect after I fly to Maia and pick up a meta alloy for Farseer?
For most engineers, once they're unlocked you go to them and grind up rep by engineering modules. Look up what they make with easy to get materials and bring a bunch.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Artificer posted:

How long did it take? Is there a set/recommended route?
There is a tool: https://www.spansh.co.uk/riches

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Also when you dock take a quick look and see if any easy missions are offering high-tier mats in the right category, since you can trade those down if needed.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

On my first longish expedition after Horizons, I was nearly out to the Heart & Soul nebulae when I ran smack dab into a moon. I survived, but at 17% hull. I don't think that was before they made system entry safer for binary systems, so I was terrified through the rest of the trip. But I made it back without taking any damage.

What I didn't know was there are secret asteroid bases in each nebula I could have repaired at.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

So I've kind of finally got the hang of exploration, flying my dumpster fit Diamondback Scout around the periphery. I got about 16YL range with the beefy 16T fuel tank so until I can afford the best in slot stuff that pushes it up to 30-40 range, that's pretty good imo. Anyway, just got my scout rank and made it out to Felicity Farseer, but what the hell is a meta-alloy and where do I find it? I assume it's a planetary thing which is fine because I have an SRV bay although I havent used it yet
The easiest way to to trek to Darnielle's Progress in the Maia system, where there's a unit for sale.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Rutibex posted:

The Thargoids must have a homeworld. Is it possible to find that by wandering around the galaxy?
There are certain regions of the galaxy where every system inside is a unknown-permit-required system. See this system for a mapped example.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Meta-alloys: The easiest way to to trek to Darnielle's Progress in the Maia system, where there's a unit for sale.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

mike12345 posted:

Aha. Is the same true for those "we need 12 bits of birdfeed" missions? I'm just using a third-party site to locate goods, because the idea of a future without centralized market data breaks my immersion.
Each trade good is produced by particular kinds of systems. There are tools to find the nearest mining/agricultural/whatever system in the galactic map. And I think you can open it from a good on the market screen? I haven't done much trading with the current market UI and am too far away to check.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

The bubble is a lot more obvious when you switch view modes on the galaxy map. Particularly the political ones.

I finally made it to Beagle Point! 1595 jumps via a med-length route. Eight and a half months.

Maybe I'll come back eventually.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

I think they're one step before that.
The easy way to get initial money is to go to a low-hazard resource site, find conflicts between security and pirates, and shoot pirates that are near death. This gets you easy bounty money, which will soon be enough a first upgrade. That can be a hauler or adder for road2riches, or whatever path you'd like to take.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

EvilMerlin posted:

Jesus... how long did that take you? I'm finding in my A-rated DBE (27LY per jump), doing 1000 LY takes about 2 hours or so each way. That has included a lot of honking and FSSS.

I just hit 1100 systems visited last night and have now 10 systems with my name on them and quite a few planets/moons now.
Get the Guardian FSD booster and a couple tiers of engineering. My DBE is doing ~60 LY per jump. (build; I left before the extra slot changes)
Going off the flight log heatmap in my EDSM page, getting to Beagle took me 50 days of flying with a mean of 32 jumps per day.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Libluini posted:

Just in case someone doesn't know, the combination of DSS and SRV is easy mode for raw mat collection. Move around until you find a planet with geo POIs and land at them to collect tons of high-end materials.

Thanks to traders you don't even have to search for planets with the mats you specifically want: That's just an additional bonus when it happens.
Being picky if it's an icy planet. Those canyons are no joke.
Crystalline-type biological signals are also huge. It's a giant field with hundreds of units of one rare or very rare element. I went from 10 Tellurium to 250 in a short time. I don't know if there's an external site tracking those, but the codex should list a couple examples per region.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Arn't mapping gas giants of higher classes paid decently too?
Not really

Edit: whoops, meant to link the math thread

FebrezeNinja fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 14, 2020

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

A Salty Affair posted:

Sorry for the off topic post but I've got a quick question for you guys. My only ship right now is a Krait Mk2 built for combat and I was debating buying a Krait Phantom to travel long distances. Is it actually worth it to buy the Phantom and have a separate ship for travelling or would it just be better to buy a separate set of modules for my Mk2 and just change them out when I want to travel far? If it helps, I don't want to min-max or any of that stuff, I just want to have a ship that can do at least 50 ly in a jump.
Having a taxi ship makes it a lot faster to get around, whether that's a Phantom, DBX, or even an Adder.

For your idea, it looks like an exploration setup with slight engineering and Guardian booster, the MkII gets 51.84ly vs Phantom getting 57.45ly on the same module layout. And then would need to swap out literally all the modules to get back to combat-ready.

Like suggested above, just getting the Guardian booster will help a lot if you don't want to juggle ships, either.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

A bit more than half-way around the galaxy:

Adding in first discovery bonuses, might end up getting most of the buy price after a full year out in the void :v:

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Their recap + FAQ thread, by the by: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/fleet-carriers-content-reveal-recap.540062/ (e;fb)

1 hr spool-up + 1 hr spool-down per jump and no cartographic means it's useless for explorers, except a couple at noteworthy PoIs for repairs/rearms (whatever extra that adds up to)

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Floppychop posted:

The new demand/price thing is just baffling to me. It makes very little sense, even from a "muh immersion" perspective.
It's faking a demand curve. Grabbing a random steam card market:

Selling, say, 6000 of these would have 3078 selling at 0.06 and 2922 selling at 0.05, making an average price of 0.055 or so.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

Is there a trick to finding good planets for mining? Read a bunch of tutorials on mining, and they all say step one is to find planets with "pristine" rings. Great, no problem! But then we spent at least 2 hours flying around last night, jumping to random systems, and couldn't find a single planet above "low."

Can someone also fill me in on what's best nowadays? I spent a shitload of time doing research and found out all about void opals. But then last night I found a bunch of resources that say void opals are now the worst of the rare minerals?.... but then I'm finding very recent youtube tutorials with thousands of upvotes where they're all about opals??...
External tools, like https://eddb.io/body. Core mining still has some good returns, you might be better off hunting for low-temperature diamonds or some other material that's currently selling high: https://inara.cz/goods/144/

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

On a different mining note, late-comers to the deep space support array (carriers being stationed around the galaxy for explorer repair/supply) are finding that the new nerf has drastically reduced the viability of mining tritium, possibly by 90%: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/hrr6nz/dssa_initiative_under_threat_from_massive_tritium/

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

I run EDDiscovery when I'm exploring and recent versions of that will have a little $ marker on valuable (terraformable+) planets and list it in the grid when you scan:

Running a client like EDD or Market Connector also lets you add systems to EDDN and EDSM, big player-run initiatives to gather explored data.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

VegasGoat posted:

Oh duh I didn't realize I could change throttle during the jump. As you were.
Crucially though, it doesn't take if you're alt-tabbed out at the end of the jump. A gotcha to keep in mind.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

I don't think it's changed much recently? The checklist as I remember:

Best FSD, at least somewhat engineered for range (+ mass manager)
A-rated powerplant, possibly downsized
Everything else D-grade and downsized for weight.

Detailed Surface Scanner
Biggest Fuel Scoop you can fit
Big Guardian FSD booster
Small shield
Planetary hangar
Two AMFUs (optional but handy, especially for neutron jumps)
Supercruise Assist (optional but I wish I had one)

Heat Sink Launchers (optional but a good "whoops" button)

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Have they talked about content updates recently? I haven't heard anything in a long time on what future development is looking like.

A month ago, this:

That was all.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Are you on Odyssey or Horizon? Just to be sure.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

EDDB says that's a Odyssey Settlement, and EDSM says it's on a planet with atmosphere, so the issue is you're on the wrong expansion pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Xik posted:

Can you explain? Have I been slowly throttling down out of super-cruise like a chump when I could be smashing into my destination like the kool aid man?
You can probably search through this thread for instructions from someone who's done this recently, but from what I remember:
1) Enable supercruise assist
2) Once established, throttle back up to 100%, out of assist range
3) When ETA drops down to about 5-6 seconds, throttle back into assist range (you will be coming in very quickly)
4) Assist reactivates, realizes you're in range to drop, and drops you in normally without caring about speed