Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Looking forward to engineering my space poopsock for greater capacity so I can explore longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

kaptainkaffeine posted:

Genuinely don’t understand what I’m supposed to get out of legs that the SRV doesn’t do. Other games do land pretty well, maybe focus on space?

Well, having just cleared a Guardian Structure for the first time, there were definitely a lot of aspects to it that felt contrived to work with the SRV that would make more sense done on foot. "Jumping" to the ancient data terminal on top of the little butte/pedestal thing by using boost, finding "audio logs" in the form of scanning ancient pillars, it really felt like they wanted to have some sort of mini dungeon crawl experience but had to make it work with the SRV instead.

On the other hand, yeah, unless they introduce a hefty amount of on foot content for variety (lol naw), it'll really just quickly drill down to "this is how to obtain materials of type (x), how do I make this process as fast as possible". I agree I would much rather have had more spaceship content. Guardian Structures could be derelict space stations or even larger planetary sites or something that you have to carefully navigate with your ship, including scooping / collecting ancient rubbish, much to the same effect. Plus it'd give you incentive to do this stuff using a smaller ship and/or ship launched fighters instead of using your biggest, baddest A-spec'd Anaconda for everything.

On the subject of contrived garbage, is there a way that I'm missing of having the Combat/Exploration HUD mode switch not be utterly pointless in the SRV? At first I thought it'd let you just bind both the weapons fire and the composition scanner to the same fire group, and just switch HUD modes to use either the weapon or scanner on the same fire key... And while it does let you do just that, it also farts out a big "WRONG HUD MODE, PLEASE SWITCH" for whatever thing is in the other HUD mode. So in the end, I still need a binding to switch between fire groups and a key to switch between HUD modes.

I know, thread title and all that, but still. :nallears:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Looks like they already put a lot in, seems full developed (although I didn't see anyone run?), so I'm looking forward to the upcoming diaries!

Running would allow you to speed up the immersive fun process of walking to every different mission giver to turn down their 10k credit data delivery missions. We can't have that.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

If you want Empire ranks, though, just go to Mainani and chain missions there. I was skeptical when reading about it, but you really can get Baron in an hour, and barely more for Duke. It's not very exciting, but it's better than trying to grind it the "legitimate" way.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Yeah, without having explored the pool of modern space sims a lot, Elite: Dangerous seemed a little shallow. But just a few hours of mucking around with Squadrons (admittedly a far younger, freshly released game) and suddenly a lot of the decisions in E:D make a lot more sense.

I just can't loving get "drift" to work. To the extent that I wonder if it's an input/HOTAS bug, because I'm boosting and then holding drift and then pitch/rolling but... nothing happens. At least, absolutely nothing compared to a well executed E:D FAO spin. Either way, I'm shelving it until they fix the HOTAS deadzone bug (the "fix"/workaround is way more effort than I care to invest into a game when I could just keep space trucking).

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The Fattest PI posted:

For VR or even just the game in general do people tend to have a sweet joystick setup or do they use gamepads or mouse/keyboard.

I just did the intro/tutorial mission with mouse+keyboard and it was a bit awkward at first.

I had a VR headset, then got a HOTAS in anticipation of Star Wars: Squadrons. In the meantime, I got into Elite: Dangerous for my space trucking simulation needs and it's been great.

The big caveat if you're just starting out is that you get the double whammy of learning E:D's often unintuitive systems on a completely new control device... while basically blindfolded. You need to figure out what the gently caress does "deploying hardpoints" mean while at the same time figuring out where the gently caress the button for it is.

I wouldn't have it any other way. :getin:

If you do go for a HOTAS & joystick, my main recommendation would be to just unbind everything and start from scratch. E:D provides default bindings for a few big name joysticks, including my Logitech X56, but I didn't find it to be the most intuitive. Instead, unbinding everything let me stop and think, "I need to do (x) action, which button would I expect to use for it" then build my controls correspondingly. One of the upshots of playing VR is that you don't have to bind anything for stuff like mouselook, since VR head tracking already is basically permanent mouselook.

But E:D has a lot of downtime as well, so I find myself switching back to flat when doing more repetitive/grindey stuff. Like just supercruise assisting to a distant location, then tabbing out to work.

edit: You probably won't be concerned about this for a little bit, but even with HOTAS, I still use the mouse for the FSSS (full spectrum system scanner) and DSS (detailed surface scanner), even in VR. They're used in exploration, and you find yourself just kind of sweeping around a system or a planet looking for things. Using the joystick makes it a lot harder to control the speed of that sweeping, whereas it responds very well to a "mouselook" approach.

Jan fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Oct 9, 2020

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Mailer posted:

I just want illicit cargo so I can sell to the black market for The Dweller. The actual cargo itself is meaningless, other than being cargo and not materials. It looks like you now get rid of cargo when you abandon a mission, so that pretty much leaves USS salvage and (maybe?) finding a place selling it.

You only lose mission cargo if you abandon it in port. Pretty sure if you leave the station, you'll be fine.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Polo-Rican posted:

Speaking of flying backwards why da gently caress doesn't this game have a rear view camera? Cars have had them for 10 years

There is, in VR! It's the "standing up out of your seat, clipping your head through the canopy and looking backwards" button. :shepicide:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Possibly the mission server being down? It's its own separate thing from the game servers now (to prevent board flipping :negative:).

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Mailer posted:

Oh wow they finally did that? Last time I cared about board flipping the space truckin' game was basically the NPCs saying "I will pay you $5 per apple to truck apples to another country and also here is one apple only". People reporting board flipping as some kind of bug was always the most brown sea of takes.

Apparently they did it 2 years ago. Which is weird, because last month I could swear I was able to switch between Open/Solo to stack courier missions to level up Empire ranks, but I guess I must've just been switching right at the 20 minute mark or whatever it is when they rotate missions. When I tried it again this week to try and get Modular Terminal missions to unlock Qwent, it just didn't work. That's when I searched and found out that the info I'd been relying on re: board flipping must've been several years out of date.

Missions still suck, though. "10k, 30k, 22k... Oh, 27 million for a data delivery! ...to Colonia. :nallears:"

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Thundarr posted:

For actual realism in this spaceship simulation, getting close enough to a black hole that you could resolve its accretion disk with your own eyes would probably subject you to hilarious amounts of heat and x-ray radiation even before worrying about the whole gravity thing. Jumping into a system with a black hole primary would be loving harrowing and probably suicidal!

It's okay, the magic plot armour Friendship Drive wraps you in a relativistic bubble protecting you from all the adverse effects!

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

You still get some heat buildup, but I didn't try getting very close to it or dropping out of supercruise because I was (still am) carrying way too much exploration data. It definitely felt underwhelming, though. Jet cone boosting from a White Dwarf is more dangerous than a black hole. :quagmire:

Speaking of carrying exploration data, I had been holding onto the stuff from my 5K Ly venture so that I could rank up Professor Palin after unlocking him. So I came back into the bubble, went and farmed up my sensor fragments, turned them in to Palin. Then I sold 30M worth of exploration data, and Palin's rank didn't budge. What gives? :nallears:

It worked for Felicity Farseer and Elvira Martuuk, I'm not sure why Palin wouldn't behave the same. If this is somehow intentional and Palin's clone Chloe Sedesi also doesn't rank up from selling exploration data, I might as well dump it somewhere so I can go back into Open without being worried about losing 60 million worth of stuff.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Tommy the Newt posted:

Unfortunately you just can't level them up that way, only Farseer and Martuuk do that to my knowledge. If you still have a faction-specific engineer to unlock you can use it to boost your rep with their guys, like Alioth Independents or something. If not and you felt like helping out you could drop the data on one of the Diamond Frogs stations, if you're willing to hold on to it until the next tick (about 11am UTC) it'd be appreciated in Ngaledi (Wankel port or Springer terminal).

By all accounts Palin is also supposed to progress that way--his starport has a Universal Cartographics, obviously, and even has a quote along the lines of "We're preparing our next expedition and could use any expedition data you might have". Based on older forum posts, it did work before. My theory is that it worked before he was moved out of Maia, and they just didn't properly link his rank to the minor faction at his new location. :frontear:

I sent a support ticket to see if that's anything they'd correct. (basically "Mr. Palin, I'd like to speak to your manager!!") If not, I suppose Ngaledi is as good a location as any!

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Mailer posted:

Oh, poo poo... so there's no point in holding on to my exploration data? I figured eventually there would be some engineer to dump it on. Where I am currently in the engineer list means I'll need to open Alioth, then do the faction stuff for Ryder/Nemo...

Yeah, I used exploration data to unlock Sirius, Alioth and Yoru. But even if it doesn't work for Palin, I wouldn't say exploration data has no point--if anything, the Inara listing that Tommy the Newt posted underlines that there's a few engineers I didn't even know could be progressed with exploration data. I might still end up selling it because I'm a decent ways away from unlocking the other ones, and I can just earn new exploration data if/when I head out to Colonia, I suppose.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Black Griffon posted:

Anyone know a good system for Sirius missions before you get access to Sirius? Procyon is the first I found, but it has a several minute trip to the closest station.

That's the best one, which incidentally is why you really should level up Sirius Corporation by dumping a few millions of exploration data on them.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

You don't even need to go very far! Just use road to riches to do a quick loop of some Earth-Like Worlds in the bubble.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Black Griffon posted:

Ah, perfect. Kinda disappointing that gas giants with life give such small rewards, but I guess microbial life is ubiquitous in the ED universe.

It's the same logic as Guardian artifacts.

"You have ventured far beyond the reaches of human civilization, scoured ancient alien ruins and brought us this precious alien urn! I'll give you 3k credits for it."

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Tommy the Newt posted:

Heat damage isn't even that much of an issue since they nerfed it several patches ago.

Heat damage isn't a huge issue, but it does damage your power plant, which sucks if you're way out in the dark with no way to repair it.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

I noticed that most of the ship names are snakes, so I got in the habit of ironically naming my ships along those lines. My little sidewinder ended up being Tin Can Snek, my Adder was No Step on Snek, and then I upgraded to a Courier, which is not a snake, so I named Secretly a Snek.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

toplitzin posted:

I nuked my first ship after I went "up" 500 some light years, and couldn't plot a route back for the life of me. I mean, I got myself there (no neutron boost) i *should* have been able to find my wayback.
Now I'm rocking a sweet DBX that can jump good.

I guess it's time to find the guardian stuff and get the gear to engineer a jumpier jump drive for that sweet 75LY jump range becuase even though you can go 1000c, space is big. and fast is slow.

If you're going to supercruise assist to a far away location, be sure to turn off supercruise speed control. It's actually a bit too conservative in order to prevent overshooting destinations, even when your destination is not remotely close.

Besides that, there's absolutely nothing you can do to go faster in supercruise. :frontear:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Who's got two thumbs and hauled 5-6 trips of Lavian brandy, without ever realising that you're supposed to picking up a mission to contribute to the community goal?

:suicide:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Libluini posted:

It's not that bad, you still get paid for it when selling. The clerk just doesn't count it towards your CG placing.

Yeah, I still made a nice little 30 million from those runs. I was planning to do more the following day, but I guess the pro space truckers completed the goal overnight and I didn't know it immediately stops when complete rather than run the full duration of the event.

I guess it's not much of a loss, I thought it'd allow you to buy different class FSDs even if the gifted one is only class 5. But if I can't put it in my exploration iCourier, I'm not interested in it. :colbert:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

I want to do some VR core mining before diving back to the black. I outfitted a shiny new Clipper and all that jazz just for it, even. There are plenty of guides on the mechanics of core mining itself, and how to pick asteroids or icy rings. What I'm missing is how do you pick a system to find either of those and then sell them? Like, naturally I found lots of icy ring planets or asteroid fields with pristine reserves while exploring, but a mining ship without a fuel scoop can't go that far out. Should I just pick a system on Inara that has high demand for Painite or something, then literally wander around nearby systems hoping to get lucky? That seems counterintuitive but... :frontear:

On a similar vein, when I last was sort of active, Fdev was severely rebalancing mission rewards to make them more inline with mining. The joke back then was that they'd make mining as useless as combat mission rewards--is this basically what happened?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

smug jeebus posted:

iCourier has the same problem, it's a bummer

I find you just need to lean into the "shiny sci-fi ship" look for the Courier and go for the sleek monochrome skins. It's not original by any means but it works.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Hizawk posted:

A general question though, is how much should I be salvaging the supplies that drop off ships? Is it a pretty big miss if I don't loiter around and scoop up all the supplies? I assume it's for engineering, which I think I just got the first quest to unlock that. I was gonna head over to the system to meet the guy on the planet.

Some of it is engineering materials, some of it is cargo. Basically, if it takes room in your cargo hold, it's the latter.

Engineering materials dropped by average NPCs is generally low tier stuff (1-3), which can get you started a little bit. But if/when you get serious about engineering, tier 4-5 stuff will pretty much require you to do more artificial grinds (i.e.: looking for high grade emissions) to complete, and you can also trade those down to lower tier materials with very advantageous ratios (like 1 grade 5 will give you a couple dozen grade 1).

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Daztek posted:

Just let me walk on the bridge of my ship while in supercruise, Frontier :saddowns:

*monkey paw curls*

You now need to walk around your bridge in order to reallocate power pips to different subsystems.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Empire is pretty trivial thanks to Mainani, where you'll have an endless supply of courier missions all going to two other stars within a single jump distance. Take the ones with +Reputation when available, you can bang out Baron in an hour or two, double-ish that for Duke.

I believe Federation has the same principle going but no star system has that magical confluence of mission boards that removes the need to travel anywhere else.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Slush Garbo posted:

here's a pic from a jump or two before HIP 58832

Dang, but that is cool.

Is it possible to plot one of those 3d maps of jumps (on inara or the like) for fleet carriers as it is for ships? You had mentioned you had already passed the threshold of distances reachable by a jumpaconda, and that was a few days ago. I'm curious how much further this is, because when I tried going as far below the plane as I could on my wee exploration Courier, it definitely did not look as badass.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The biggest adrenaline rush occurs from alt-tabbing just in time after jumping into a primary white dwarf system.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

I wonder if ground targeting will be easier on a ship with centered hardpoints.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

moolchaba posted:

Now I'm trying to get that bug to repeat so I can take them out with my battle bus T10. Of course I can't get it to repeat.

IIRC, pirates constantly respawn at resource extraction zones (ironically making them better for combat/bounty farming than mining).

Whereas a manually scanned hotspot will have one pirate spawn show up, scan you, then leave (or ask you for cargo). After that single spawn, you can mine indefinitely as long as you don't enter+drop out of supercruise again.

e: but clearly you've been around long enough to know this. Dunno what was up with the constant respawns.

Jan fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Aug 8, 2021

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

zedprime posted:

Is it really a roadmap if your main goals for the rest of the year are stability and optimization? That's just, like, patches.

Look, buddy, if their programmer intern spends time on optimization and stability, that means he can't work on Odyssey VR or feature development. So they have to put the former on the roadmap to explain why the latter isn't happening.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I'm back for more grindinggaming.

Listening to funk and disco still makes this better:

The "best" is playing VR and setting up a little overlay in your cockpit so you can watch Netflix while space trucking. True sci-fi realism is watching movies on your "holo-mobile" and then crashing into a sun due to distracted flying.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

GHOST_BUTT posted:

I don't like the Asp's engine noises and if you're gonna go space mad you better love every inch of your ship

Case in point: I built my first (and only) explorer build so far on an Imperial Courier, because I just like the sci-fi look of Imperial/Gutamaya ships. It only reasonably gets 40LY jump instead of the 60 you can get from explorer ships, but I don't care. :3:

Jan fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 10, 2022

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

GHOST_BUTT posted:

I did the same with a clipper because I like how it flies and how it looks and sounds. Can it jump more than 40ly? No. Is it easy to land on planetary surfaces? No. Would I trade it for anything else? No.

At least the Clipper gets a larger scoop! :saddowns:

Though I wonder if it cancels itself out due to the larger fuel capacity to fill up.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Oh no danger, heat damage! Heat damage!

*loses 8% integrity*

Yep, that tracks. Excellent trap on those binary stars though :discourse:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Wait, I came back after 2 years, somehow managed to salvage my bindings, and muscle memory was good enough to undock from my station, fly out the toaster slot, and head back to Cubeo... Only to find out that the capital world of Imperial Bae is currently under Power Play control of Zachary Hudson?

What the gently caress, are there no more Imperial power play poopsockers?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Not anymore, but I'd swear to loving god when I looked at it last night it said "Cubeo: Zachary Hudson". I guess I should've taken a screenshot, not that it matters.

Day 2 of my "I have no idea what I'm doing" return trip involved stopping by a random system on the way to Cubeo (currently flying my mining Clipper), deciding to blast a couple of asteroids, somehow without realising the resource site I stopped at is in a really high heat location? I got heat warnings dropping out of supercruise and just wandering about but it sorted itself out so... eh?

Except while trying to set up my stupid fire groups which apparently got lost, I toggled on silent running, dropped my shields and apparently left myself wide open for heat to do its thing. Ate maybe like 5% integrity trying to find how to turn silent running back off using the menus, but because the silent running toggle I've stumbled on is a slider or something on the throttle, it just kept turning itself back on and I couldn't find which of the goddamn knobs controls it, because it's not something I even used before so I still have no muscle memory for it. :negative:

Can't wait to hop back in my lovely old exploration iCourier and gently caress off to Sag* 42 Ly at a time.

E: I forgot to ask about the most egregious thing I noticed. I was just trawling around menus and looking at the Arx store... And everything on there now seems Odyssey exclusive? So basically, if you don't care about space legs, :frontear: just won't take my money? Okay, bold move.

Jan fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Sep 24, 2022

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

counterpoint: if you wanted to do cool things instead of looking at cool things you wouldn't be playing elite dangerous

warning: friendship drive operating beyond hot take limits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Inspector Hound posted:

If you like immediately panicking when you drop out of warp, head to PRU EUQ VU-N D7-1

The neutron star is directly in front of your face when you come out, and it's spinning incredibly fast. Like "oh poo poo the game is broken" fast.

vv yeah this thing gets pretty hot pretty quickly, I just managed to zip out of range before it cooked or dropped me all the way into normal space. The third star is orbiting the pair in the middle, if I had jumped in at the wrong time it would have been behind me, maybe on top of me vv

There are some even more stressful ones when jumping to white dwarf main star systems and it puts you right outside the massive exclusion zone, so you'd get kicked out if you keep traveling for more than like 5 seconds.

It's worth reminding everyone that you can (and should) cut throttle to 0% in the process of jumping, that way you have zero inertia when coming out of hyperspace and can generally avoid that sort of accident.