Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Popping back into this to try out the exploration and mining changes. Exploration has always been my favorite so that seems cool. I’ve wanted to like mining so maybe now it’s finally cool.

One thing I haven’t been able to figure out and I can’t look in game right now: Did they ever enable one-way passenger missions to Colonia? I would love to kit out one of the passenger ships to pull off something like this, but the only missions prior to that were strictly round trips to and back from Colonia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Okay, which one of you built this gooncave?

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/a5twfc/wip_turning_the_cupboard_under_the_stairs_into_a/

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

While I don’t disagree that open’s rep is way worse than it should be, I’m in the solo camp mostly because of the above stories. Like 95% of all player encounters are arguably just as interesting if they were NPCs.

I played in open for awhile and it really didn’t add much of anything to the experience if you aren’t actively seeking out PvP. There’s not a lot of reason to have interactions otherwise. Then I went to a community hotspot and got immediately rammed to death in a way that was exceedingly difficult for me to retaliate given my ship and the crime and punishment system.

I’m not saying that’s even likely to happen again, but when the record of player interaction is 0/1/300+ of good/bad/“might as well have been an NPC”, I’d just rather take out the delta factor of thinking about running into lovely players. It absolutely depends on your style of play, but while the downsides are highly overstated, I would argue the positives aren’t exactly game-changing either.

Ultimately though, play what you’re leaning toward and there’s no reason if one mode or the other frustrates you, you can’t switch mid stream.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Also it depends heavily on your style of exploration but anything north of 35ly range is probably comfortable. High range only matters in a couple of situations: getting quickly to a distant spot (Sag A, Colonia) or out of the bubble, and if you’re really scraping the edges of the galaxy (vertically, even) and stars get very separated. If your style is just to get beyond the glut of explored worlds near to the bubble and then just bop around scanning, you won’t need gigantic ranges. Even if you want to visit a distant highlight like Sag A, unless you’re going to get bored of exploration quickly, it’ll just take a little more time with less range.

That said I completely understand the tendency to push it as far as you can, but don’t let your expedition plans get bogged down in guardians and engineering if you don’t want to. I know I’ve had to convince myself of that before.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I started doing core mining last night and I had trouble finding the right asteroids too. What I found though was that once I had found one, I got way more tuned in to others. It took me almost an hour for the first, 30 minutes for the second, and then I could find one every 10-15 minutes or so (plus the time it took me to crack and collect everything).

My strategy became looking for deep gold on the pulse scanner. No part of the asteroid should be reddish or orange. It’s notably more gold. Still, some of those weren’t crackable - and that’s where the shape mostly came in. I still got in the habit of doing prospector flybys just in case my internal radar was off, but once you’re tuned in you know what to look for.

I messed up my approach to the belt and was 200km from a low temp diamonds hotspot, but I still found plenty of rocks of Opal and some other expensive rock I don’t recall the name of, so you can absolutely still hunt outside of a hotspot with good luck. I spent about 2 hours (I think?) and got roughly 80 units that was about 17million in profit. I’m pretty sure my next two hours could be at the very least 1.5x that if not a lot more.

Don’t forget an ablation laser to scrape the “surface” deposits from inside the cracked rock. Also highly recommend a Python. It was the perfect mix of enough collector limpets, cargo space, and maneuverability (for getting between the pieces to scrape up after a blast). I can share my loadout if anyone wants it, but it’s pretty much what you’d expect.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Mike the TV posted:

Did you install a Pulse Wave Scanner in one of your utilities? I didn't when I tried mining last night.
I've also heard that crackable asteroids are more rare in metalic rings.

I’ve also heard but not tested that Rocky rings are actually better for crackables because they have fewer “normal” mineable rocks.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Seconding that. I’ve had the most fun bouncing between small bits of things.

I’ve quit for long periods every time I decided “I’m going to totally engineer this ship for <x>” where X required 20 hours of material hunting. If I had just played for those 20 hours, I probably would have gotten more than half the materials and left myself with a more reasonable goal, but structuring yourself for grinding is failure.

That said, Elite is a great game to pick up and put down. It’s hard to become totally lost as to what you were doing.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I’ve talked two buddies into playing who are getting a HOTAS/VR for Christmas and I want to set up to hunt Thargoids with them. In all likelihood we will multicrew, since I don’t think one wants to risk his rebuy and another is very new.

I’m thinking of kitting our a double-fighter Crusader. Thinking of going as much guardian stuff as possible: 3C Shard, 2B Gauss, 2B Remote Flak, 3x1D Gauss. 6D fighter hangar for them.

Any suggestions or pitfalls?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Yeah for any new folks looking for a combat ship, listen to all the above posters.

There may be “better” options for significantly more money or for specific missions, styles, etc, but the Vulture is extremely fun and good.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Kitfox88 posted:

Can the keelback do acceptably at neo-mining? :thunk:

Acceptably yes. The best? No. I got a buddy started on it with even a Cobra, but you make pretty short trips given the space and you don’t have a lot of collector limpets.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Honestly while the bug is nice, I only put a single laser on my Python and kept it despite hearing about the bug and it’s still like 150 million credits per an hour or two of work. If you’re worried about it, don’t be. Unless your goal is to A spec the big 3 ships, you can make plenty of money even after the bug is fixed.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Thinking about jumping back into this with a buddy. Did they ever 1. Fix multicrew from being a nearly unplayable buggy mess despite us both having good systems and internet
2. Ever change the horrible cost of AI crew both in terms of % payout even when unused and how much it sucks if you raise one and they die?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Dongattack posted:

Any of you try using pedals for this game? I got a good offer on some Thrustmaster ones since they know im a giant grognard, but only game i like that is good with lots of extra stuff like that is Elite and i struggle to see a use for pedals that Hotas doesn't already fill.

I’d be interested to know too, as I play a decent amount of X-plane and pedals are eventually my next peripheral. Having another game that would be good with them would help push me over the edge to burn money on more toys I don’t need.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I admittedly didn’t put my back into improving it so there may be some opportunity, but yeah, I think that’s at least partially inherent to VR.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I remember seeing four or five really bright, large stars way out on a long exploration trip and sure enough, they were named for some European telescope. That was actually a pretty cool thing, as I ended up navigating to them pretty much by just targeting systems in their direction until I was close enough on the galaxy map to spot them without getting lost scrolling.

Visual Flight Rules, but for space!

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

There’s really embarrassing poo poo in this game like multicrew that is literally nonfunctional in ways that are not something you can workaround, QOL and design decisions aside.

Two buddies of mine got VR around the same time and I had had it. I spent a bunch of time kitting out a thargoid scout hunter with fighters for them and the whole nine yards.

Despite literal hours of loving with multicrew, we never got into more than a single fight. Disconnects were par for the course, and I know all three of us have decent rigs and consistent, high speed internet connections. It wasn’t like it was sporadic or unstable, it refused to work for anything more than literal seconds if it connected at all.

I forget what else dropped with the multicrew patch but considering that was toted as a huge feature and is now essentially totally broken - not buggy, but broken - is crazy to me.

I’m willing to put up with so much poo poo to get cool VR space ships and I even hate a lot of their designs when they’re working as intended, but god drat fix what’s in there so I can fly space ships with my buddies.

All that said: being someone tangential to software dev and release planning, I am wholly on board with this being a panic button w/r/t fleet carriers not being ready and sucking rear end whether gameplay or bug wise.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Not that it needs further confirming and I basically hit it with my other post but yeah. I loved the game thoroughly solo despite some boring or annoying choices.

Once I talked friends into it and we started in multiplayer I realized how broken it was.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

It says a lot that I’m amazed you found it stable enough to actually learn bugs beyond “it doesn’t fuckin’ work.”

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Let’s pretend a minute that Multicrew functions for more than split seconds-

Are there viable anti-thargoid builds that benefit from an SLF or manned turrets?

I have a buddy who likes the game but doesn’t want to spend a ton of time getting fancy engineered ships and enjoys the idea of multicrew, and would also like to poo poo up aliens.

I made a Challenger awhile ago but it didn’t seem uh, that good. I might have just not understood how to best handle goids, but also the SLFs just got annihilated constantly.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Probably gets asked periodically so sorry if it was recently: is there a current guide/strat to farming up the engy materials?

I haven’t done a hard farm since material brokers and I’m finally getting low after pimping out a vulture like crazy.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Core Mining is some of the best mining I’ve seen in a game period. That doesn’t mean it’s the best thing ever, but even still.

It’s the only mining mechanic that doesn’t neglect the prospecting phase beyond “show up.” It adds finding hotspots, specific rocks, and then a game to acquire the things properly, and then a little extra scraping and gathering. It’s varied and relatively deep.

My ideal would be some way to make it more dangerous or challenging combined with more prospecting to find “your spot” and wanting to keep it to yourself, but realistically with the internet and the way the game works that’s probably unfeasible. I’m pretty happy with what they have and I can’t find a way to suggest a not insane change toward what I want, so it’s gotta be pretty good.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Man I never did the engineer grind when it was bad beyond one or two modules for jump range.

Now I have the previously posted guide, Inara tools, guaranteed upgrades and experimental effects. I’m basically using an exploit to farm materials, on top of the materials I gathered from just playing the game. Worth noting I’ve put a shitload of hours in since I last spent any engy materials in any amount. Some I’ve never used period because I hadn’t unlocked the engineers until my recent blitz to get them unlocked.

And it’s still taken like 6 hours of play to get most of the goods to fully engineer a Vulture. Not an anaconda, not an FDL. A vulture.

And I’m still probably 2 hours or more away from actually pressing the engineering buttons

Frontier is still so lucky they’re the premier VR cockpit experience.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jan 19, 2020

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

For what it’s worth, I’m a player with tons of hours in the game, but spread out into little starts and stops since launch, and every time I jump in and try to build a ship for combat I have absolutely no idea if it’s going to be effective against NPCs (as compared to any other combat ship). I can’t even imagine trying to break into the PVP meta.

I’m a huge idiot grognard who basically remembers every formula that generates every number in Paradox Grand Strat games and Elite’s numbers are vague and opaque to me after tons of time.

I think that lends itself to the idea that even if the game had some level of balance (I don’t personally think it does) it’s extremely difficult for your average guy to figure out what works. It took me more than an hour of dicking around staring at charts on Coriolis to get a feel for “I think this vulture build is good” and I still could see changing several things on it if I take it out to fly and decide it’s not what I had thought. And that’s a vulture - a ship that really doesn’t have a whole surplus of potential variance like a large or medium combat ship would.

Maybe that’s more of a “me” problem but still, their choices for engineering and how they communicate most numbers around module performance is arcane.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

One thing I haven’t touched yet is the Guardian stuff. How bad is that grind compared to engineers? I know you have to unlock every individual module, but is it mostly a “one and done” or is it like engineering that I have to go grind every time I need a new size 5 FSD booster?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

It’s the vulture.

Buy a vulture.

(There are better ships for combat but imo the vulture is the most fun and looks cool, to me.)

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I’ll never understand their constant need to patch out ways to make fast money. At no time has a gold rush made me want to play less.

Frontier makes a grind as though they have a freemium game that they’re selling the shortcuts for real money, but they forgot the step where they sell the shortcut. (For clarity, I’m not advocating that.)

Guess what, Frontier. If you want to make money selling me Anaconda skins and other ship customizations, don’t make it harder for me to get all of those ships.

I’ve hit enough gold rushes that this argument is mostly on principle for me but I swear I’ll never be able to understand their mindset for that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Steam tagging is a crap shoot and I think either brainless super fans trying to do SEO and/or kids must tag games with everything even close to related.

Sure technically a team vs team arena multiplayer game is cooperative in the sense you have to work with your team, but who looking at that tag for that? The tag should imply a true cooperative experience.

Sure technically Rainbow Six is a strategic game but why in the world is it marked strategy next to Total War and Civ?

We should tag elite with shooter, because technically even exploration requires you to aim and shoot probes.

I hate to continue the derail about that but boy howdy has that pissed me off when I’m trying to find a random co-op story campaign game to play with a friend and it’s recommending me just straight TvT shooters.