Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

You know, if they really cared to have filler content before the expansion they'd let players do cash sink community events to establish terraforming stations in systems on the periphery of the bubble. Give out prizes like letting the player with the most contribution rename the planet or let the minor faction of the squadron with the most have a presence there.

super sweet best pal fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I haven't bothered with any lists for exploration and I've done great so far. Just FSS every system I come across and then check the system map for earthlikes, water worlds, ammonia worlds and terraformables and scan any I find before moving on. Made 30 million last night flying out into the black and I'm going again tonight.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Thundarr posted:

Granted you can't get them in C2 size, so even with the extra range it would still be questionable at best to use them on a primary mining ship. Also you'd have to spend a month hanging out with Torval.

Is it possible to actively sabotage her by trying to spread her influence to worthless border systems that just drain her funds?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I like manually flying into the station for the event but I'll still prefer afk docking when it's an opportunity.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Just realized they started the terrorist attack event right before 9/11.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

64057 posted:

Is it true that passenger missions out of damaged stations are quite lucrative?

If so, what's the most lucrative loadout for running them? Do VIP passengers demand luxury cabins before they leave their burning hab block?

I've got a fat Type 9 so I could fill that up with economy cabins if that works.

Refugees have all been economy class from what I've seen.

Buying basic medicine and offloading it at the rescue ship also works almost as fast, assuming the price holds as people deliver them. I was buying 30k worth of meds and netting half a million in profit offloading them.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Helianthus Annuus posted:

he said he doesnt want to lose his elite explorer!!!!!!

Could just buy a new sidewinder.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The reason I'm not excited is I don't see how atmospheric worlds will be fundamentally different from the airless moons we already have, especially considering the lackluster previews. At best it'll give us new types of alien sites to explore and hopefully some new alien tech to go along with it, but I mostly just feel like it'll end up being us paying for more empty space.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Ship interiors make more sense from a business perspective. With planet landing they're wasting valuable dev cycles on something no one asked for. If they'd spent time on ship interiors they'd not only make the players happy, they'd also have new opportunities to push ARX by giving the players more than just a dashboard to decorate.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

All I really do is fly out into the black and participate in the occasional event and money's become an abstract concept to me.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Yeah, money would start being real to me again for a little bit if I actually wanted something with grind level price tag, but I'm just content with flying my aspex around and leaving it as a number that goes up whenever its time to come home and submit my scan data.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Cracker King posted:

Dead rear end. I would love if developers join up with their different game genres to fit into one universe.

You fly around with Elite Dangerous, then when you drive Around surface it’s Burnout paradise - pop out of car and skateboard in tony hawk.

Then ‘beam up’ back to your ship in elite dangerous because your hydroponic farm (rim world) needs attention.

But it’s all really one ‘game.’

I can dream.

I've wanted this kind of thing before and it would own if done right. The way I'd like it is a series of different games that work as standalone games but when you have multiple they function as content for some big over-game.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Baron Porkface posted:

I've left the newbie zone, what sort of things can i do other than grind for money?

Fly out into the black and map undiscovered worlds

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

Broo Tarquin? Yeah he’s a bit of a dick.

Most of the Engineers have been pretty straight forward to unlock so far as a new player. The ones that matter anyway. Not super sure what the most effective way is to level engineer rep but eh. poo poo seems to slow way down at rank 3.

Abuse whatever rep boosting service is tied to their base, if it's cartographics you can just fly out into the void and come back. If you can't do that, buy a duplicate of something that's easy to farm upgrade mats for and just spam.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

e: wrong thread

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Is this going to be playable with the settings turned all the way down on my twelve year old toaster or am I just turbofucked?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Well, it's technically playable for me at low settings but everything looks like garbage and it crashes a lot. Hopefully they'll optimize it down the road but I'm not holding out too much hope for now.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Odyssey doesn't add very much but it sure costs like it does.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

If there are differences, they were too minor for me to notice.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

That partial circle surrounding the upper left of the planet. Those vertical lines symbolize a settlement; landable planets without settlements won't have those on theirs.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Things are definitely getting worse than yesterday. Tried to do a combat zone and it was like the game was having a seizure; the framerate was horrible and NPCs were shaking around like they couldn't figure out which direction they were supposed to face.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Anyone else not seeing geological and biological sites on the Nav menu anymore?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Pikey posted:

Anybody else getting constant taupe cobra errors? Since yesterday i haven't been able to load in at all. I've run through all the solutions I've been able to find with a relatively deep google dive into the problem.

Mine are blue, just like Cobra Commander.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Josh Christ posted:

Got back into elite recently after my girlfriend got me a hotas so playing it isn't a miserable nightmare, and I've been chugging my way through road to riches to make some cash and get my elite Explorer ranking. My next step, after I unlock Jameson, is to get a ship outfitted and engineered for going out into the black exploring. Should I stick with my trusty dback explorer, should I get an asp explorer/anaconda, recommend me a ship

I use AspEx, it's a great ship and will get you into the black and back no problem

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Footfall achievements are great. This planet has my name on it, so does this one, and this one, and so on.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

It turns out footfalling an entire solar system gets tedious after the tenth planet.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Don't think I'll ever grab a bacterial colony again. The payout is so little for how long it takes to complete a sample.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The problem with Odyssey as a concept (as opposed to the problem of it being a buggy mess) is it just feels like stuff that should've been in Horizons. We already had character models and the ability to explore planet surfaces, being able to move that character around is not much of an upgrade. Then on top of that there's a reward problem. Horizons gave tangible benefits to the main game through the engineering system, allowing players to use the resources they found to make their ships fly farther, hit harder and survive longer. Aside from the minor income and reputation bumps from doing ground missions, Odyssey's rewards just make the player slightly better at Odyssey content, what little there is of it.

Also, weren't we promised new planets and not just the same barren rocks but with sky and occasional patches of shrubbery?

Gonkish posted:

I bought an X52 Pro back in the day, specifically for Elite, and it has been wonderful... aside from the drivers being total dogshit.

I can sympathize, picked up an analog mic a few years ago and bought a digital converter that has a chance of not working when I plug it in.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

lol. Checks its name in the codex

:lmao:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Mahatma-Squid posted:

I just got a first to scan bonus on Tun, an earthlike 1 jump away from The Dweller engineer, that seems highly unlikely. Is there something weird with that since Odyssey or something?

I've been getting those too. That same one, actually.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Fojar38 posted:

drat planetside tourist facilities look really nice, although "frozen rock with an average surface temperature of -245 Celcius" is an odd tourist attraction in a universe with ubiquitous space travel.

And they're packed with loot. Just full to the brim with PDAs you can sell at a bar.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

You don't even need an upgraded Artemis because all you do is sample plants. Maybe if there were some dangerous plants I'd understand a use case for improving the Artemis, but as it is, if there are any hostiles in an area you're picking flowers at you'll probably just run them over with the SRV or change to the Dominator inside it.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

FileNotFound posted:

It's not even the jump range for me - I can get better range out of an Anaconda - but the cockpit view in an Explorer is one of the best in the game.

Yes. I love being able to look down in front of me as I'm touching down on the ground.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Does datadumping at faction stations give rank progress?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Oh well, kind of inconvenient for explorers but at least it's still a quick way to get minor factions' passes.

Frontier should do a Twitch Prime deal. Give out paint jobs, skins for the old pilot suit and cockpit decorations in order to bait streamers into playing.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

How can you look at this and say Odyssey is better?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Should've blown their ship up.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Have they actually fixed planet side mat farming? I was just at a geo formation and was getting nothing but garbage still.

I was just on a planet and all I got was iron, nickel and phosphorus. Crystal cluster? Iron. Needle crystals? Iron.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

FishMcCool posted:

If anyone is trying to unlock Hero Ferrari (!), note that it actually requires you to complete 10 LOW INTENSITY ground CZs. It's boring and doesn't pay poo poo, but sadly High/Med intensity don't count.

Ah gently caress, so the decently paying ones I've been doing for the ancaps in the event don't count?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I've noticed the biggest barrier to getting ten CZs is how often they break. Had one that ended with one enemy left but the NPC didn't actually exist.