Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I just found out there is going to be a new Distant Stars run. Always kind of regretted not going on the first one so I think I'm going to take my Christmas break opportunity to build up a real exploration ship, versus my cheapo hacked together one I used to have. Last time I played was just shortly after the Horizon's release and that wasn't for very long. Are there any critical grinds I need to accomplish beyond just cash for an exploration ship with high grade gear and a rover slot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
So after reinstalling and running the training scenarios because it's been over a year, I apparently had sold my exploration ship to try out combat and bought a Vulture before I quit last time. Before I go off and sell this one to try something else, and with the full knowledge that I suck, what's the best way I can figure out what I should or should not be tangling with after I find a wanted ship?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Edit:
Nevermind, helps if I'm looking at the right screen.

nessin fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Dec 16, 2018

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
If a planet has the blue ground site location, how in the world do you actually find them? I was trying to find a tutorial or written explanation online but either I'm not using the right words or there is some common sense obvious answer that I'm just not getting.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

iospace posted:

The one thing about the Phantom compared to the DBX is the DBX has much, much better heat soaking abilities than the Phantom. I could park the DBX under a star, right by the exclusion zone, and be all "gently caress all of you".

The Phantom? Not so much.

I thought heat, while refueling, was mostly a function of the power plant and scoop? That would make sense for the DBX because it's got a smaller scoop and plant on average. And if true then you'd probably be able to do the same on the Phantom with equivalent sized modules.

--------------

In other news, I made much more progress than I thought I would this weekend. I'm now sitting pretty with enough money to kit out a Phantom when I want to along with a G5 FSD. The only thing I really need to do before the Distant Worlds run is get the FSD Booster. I just put myself in a Python equipped for passengers and made it to Robigo, which I screwed up my fuel plan for and only saved myself by putting on a 1E fuel scoop and guess how long it takes to refuel a Python at 18.00/s (be prepared with Netflix or Youtube), with the intent of building up money to make a mid-range combat ship or maybe even save up a Cutter or Corvette. Which is now killing me because I want the Cutter for the looks, but the Corvette for 2 huge modules. At least I finally decided I didn't want to try for an Anaconda to explore with since I didn't want to be stuck with not being able to land on an outpost or having to search harder for a planet landing spot in rough terrain.

nessin fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Dec 17, 2018

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
If you explode with engineered modules, does the rebuy give you same engineered modules as replacements or do you have to do it all over again?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
My recommendation for anyone mining, don't go in a big ship and don't fit for anything but blowing them up. All you need is an Abrasion Blaster, a Seismic Charge Launcher, a 1A Refinery, Prospector Limpet, and as much cargo tonnage as you can fit. Collector limpet and a shield highly recommended, although not strictly necessary. You won't burn through a lot of cargo space so long as you don't pick up any non-core materials that will eat your refinery bins and you'll have the speed to rapidly find asteroids with the maneuverability to quickly place charges and blast away internal chunks. Since you need a medium hard point I think the cheapest you could go is an Adder, but a Cobra Mk 3 does the job well and a Mk 4 is just perfect.

Edit:
Also need a Pulse Wave Analyser.

nessin fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Dec 18, 2018

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Doing a surface scan defintiely has an impact on payout prices, although I have no clue how much. I did a run using Roads2Riches last weekend where I should have gotten 28m, and ended up close to double that because I thought when R2R indicated a specific planet that mean go out and surface scan it, not just tag with the FSS.

Edit:
That doesn't mean surface scanning is worth double. I would occasionally surface scan a moon or another planet if they were right next to each other, sometimes I'd scan the wrong planet because I was distracted watching something else, and there are all the FSS planets identified while looking for the right planet on the R2R site.

nessin fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 18, 2018

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I knew unlocking engineers was a grind, but I thought the grind was the collecting of materials. Which is annoying, but at least there is enough info already out there that you always know where you need to go to get materials. What sucks is the drat unlock conditions. I've spent at least 10 hours over the past few days running missions to get reptutation for an invite, then running more missions to earn mission-specific rewards for turn ins, and then running more missions for reputation to unlock the next one. So much jumping from one station to the next trying to find a mission giver I had rep to actually work with or who gave the right reward. The one engineer that requires 50 commodity markets I unlocked twice over just bouncing between so many different stations.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Does selling gems/ore you mined yourself count for trade rank upgrades? I've turned in a good 50-ish million at a fiarly low trade rank and didn't get a rank up. I didn't check how far along I was on the bar to see if it budged at all, but for that level of "profit" I figure I should gone up a rank at least.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

iospace posted:

I think I made it. The ultimate "gently caress you, I'm going into the deep black and you're not stopping me" ship: https://s.orbis.zone/1bvz

The only real endurance limitation would be heat sinks, but even then with a repair limpet, shouldn't be too much of an issue. You could also stock up big time on the mats for synthing the heat sinks.

Can repair limpet controllers carry their own limpets? Also what does 4D thrusters do on a ship that normally carries grade 6 with respect to planetary landings? Just never hit a world with notable gravity?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I made it up to about 600/700ish mil and a little bit into Tycoon before I decided I couldn't stand mining anymore. Now I'm on to material farming so I can make a fun to fly engineered combat ship to finish off the engineers that require combat rank. Is there a good one stop shop for where to find all the materials? I know I can look them up individually on Inara but I was hoping for a full list in one go and Inara doesn't identify if you can farm stuff easier by visiting some specific site like the crashed Anaconda/Sidewinder or what specific type of geological sites on planets.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Should be easy enough to follow the other guides were just massive walls of text.

A correction, DSS and hotspots are optional. You'll find Brom up to Void Opals if you just drop out in the ring randomly or even in hotspots. Hot spots do seem to generate more of the particular type so it is worth mining in the best hot spot available but if space is at a premium then it's entire optional.

Also you can scan a ring with one ship and come back later in another one or with another configuration and your hot spots will still be visible/there. I suspect this will probably only last a day but it's another way to save space.

And a final thing worth noting, the strength of the charge needed doesn't always relate to the amount of yield range you'll get. So don't always think a nearly optimal yield will be perfect if you find a low strength crack. Likewise if you need to disarm one a low strength crack when you're just over may not do it or may go too far.

nessin fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 23, 2018

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Anyone use the Steam Controller and can recommend/share a good keybind set? I've used an old wireless 360 controller that seems to be crapping out on me and I've got a Steam controller I shelved a long time ago because I couldn't get used to the pads. However I'd rather try getting used to the pads instead of shelling out another 50+ bucks for a new controller. I was using the advanced controller default setup mostly but apparently so much of how I played was tied to muscle memory that I'm failing miserably trying to play with the same setup now and I'm wondering if there is a better way to do it than just relearn the controls I was used to.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

AttackBacon posted:

[*]Ship: I found the Python was the best overall. You can do rock cracking with a variety of ships but the Python gives you by far the most longevity in a field, which translates to more efficient runs and more profits. The Krait MkII is almost identical, sacrificing 64 tons of cargo (or 32 tons and your fuel scoop) for a bit better maneuverability. I found the Python was totally fine with 6A Thrusters which is what you want to be running and 64 tons of cargo is a big loss of longevity in the field. I didn't like the Krait Phantom at all, you're giving up half of your cargo for 30-40% more jump distance and range, it's not a profitable trade-off imo. On top of that you have to sacrifice your fuel scoop which just destroys any advantage in travel time if your point of sale is further than your fuel range. Anything else is either just a stepping stone to the Python or just too unwieldy for cracking (imo, I'm sure you could make a bigger ship work if you really wanted). Priorities for your modules are your thrusters and your pulse wave analyzer, you want those A-rated so that you can find crackable asteroids as quickly as possible. Shields are mandatory for cracking, just too risky otherwise.

The solution to the fuel scoop problem is not go outside your fuel range, which has so far been a complete non-issue with the gold rush locations over the past several days. If you absolutely must, sacrifice a 2 or 3 slot for a fuel bay instead of the scoop.

The Python is the best for longevity, but then you're flying the Python and committing to being out there for over an hour to fill it up. If you're going for max profits then you want something just big enough to hold enough ore for how long you want to spend out there with the speed to rapidly progress through a field or maneuver around the asteroid for quickly dropping charges and blasting inner deposits. That's where the Mk 2 will be better if you want a large cargo hold or an Asp Explorer if you want a smaller one.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
There aren't any SRV improvements you can make, can you? I just got my first Guardian Module and dealing with the sentinels was really annoying. Mostly not hazardous, so long as you didn't get into a flip spiral from their wave gun pushback, until the wave of four at once but it'd be nice to be able to find a way to kill them faster short of bringing other people along. I do know about the point defense trick which was a great help, but still would be nice to just find a way to grind through their HP faster.

Also does anyone use a Voice Attack pack? When I last looked at them it was shortly after release and I didn't expect them to go anywhere long term but I randomly got recommended a youtube video that showed off a recent pack, I was checking out some videos while flying to the guardian site, and it's pretty amazing that they're still keeping up with it and have done some interesting stuff with them if the videos are anything to go by. Not really interested in buying one, just wondering if anyone uses them and has felt it really worth it for the features beyond just executing a macro via voice command.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Im doing some mining and for whatever reason my collection limpets are only lasting 10s now? They grab one thing then expire. I still have room in the refinery and cargo space and now I'm out of limpets and gotta go back. They were working fine the first astroid I cracked but now they grab one thing then expire

Collector limpets do this weird side zoom maneuver when they grab an item, they don't just fly to the target and straight back. What I found happens is there is a good chance when an ore chunk is sitting close to a rock the limpet will fly to the ore, grab it, then do the side zoom straight into the rock which destroys the limpet and gives you the collection failed message. The only benefit is that the momementum of the limpet will usually leave the ore chunk moving around and hopefully far enough away from the rock to get it with another limpet.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Is there a risk of going exploring and finding something that an Anaconda is just too big to manage? Like maybe being unable to find a place to land or a planet to see a surface site or anything? My original plan was to do all my long range exploration in a Phantom, but after playing a lot of different ships over the past several days I've found that I'm unlikely to ever fly a large ship, except for maybe the Clipper and eventually maybe one comedy run in a T10 to fight a Thargoid, except for the purposes of being out and away from any stations. Plus I also found I like flying the Krait Mk2 and I don't want a mostly inferior version just sitting around.

Between that and grinding out just over a billion in cash to get Elite Trade rank on the mining gold rush, I thought going up to an Anaconda would be feasible. Just worried by going to a large ship I might miss out on something because it's so bulky.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I put together a plan for an Exploration Anaconda, anyone mind taking a look to see if I missed something or screwed anything up?

https://s.orbis.zone/1e5h

Docking computer I'll replace with a fuel limpet controller (just for the option if I'm able to help someone) once I finish getting all the engineering done. Debating whether to keep the extra fuel bay or throw on another AFMU, but I don't really intend to do any neutron jumps unless it's to get somewhere I couldn't otherwise. I know I could squeeze out a bit of extra range by dropping the SRV hanger down to just one bay, but it isn't that much of a hit for the peace of mind.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I needed to get the 5000ly requirement done for the engineer unlock and I thought I'd go southeast to the Running Man Nebula and beyond, but I can't find a way past the COL 70 zone that is inaccessible. Is there a way through or do you just have to go the long way around it?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Blind Rasputin posted:

I got this info now. There is a space road that goes over the col 70 permit locked shell.

Much appreciated.

I was looking into the systems you had bookmarked and PMS2009 has an asteroid base. Why in the hell don't we have asteroid bases all over the bubble? I mean it's still just a mail slot entrance into a cyclinder, but it was different and would just add another sort of vista to the daily jumping around.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
So I flew out to the 5000ly line for Pallin normally, but on the way back I'm trying out the neutron highway. So far it doesn't really seem worth it. Since you can't always max out a 300%+ jump I'm finding it only saves me 2 or 3 jumps at small chance of a gently caress up (and exploding) and constantly having to pull up the galaxy map. I'd conceded it's probably a bit faster but not enough to be worth anything other than breaking up the monotony on a long trip.

I did almost poo poo my pants a minute ago when I jumped into this:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1603786845

The cone and speed on that star is freaking insane. When I jumped into the system I was directly facing the neutron star but all I could see was the bright center and the entire cone filling the screen. I barely had to move and I was inside it getting super charged.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Trying to find a boom state that spawns a HEG for material farming is proving nearly impossible. Does allegiance or economy matter for getting proto alloys, or is it just population and state?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Is there an easy way to get Guardian Tech components? For some reason those seem to be super rare for me, I've got 100+ power cells, power condiuts, and over 75 supposedly rarer Weapon parts, but I've only found a grand total of 27 tech components. Which means I did get enough to unlock the FSD booster, but I can't imagine grinding any more components if I have to depend on rolling around guardian structures and blasting more sentinels.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Annath posted:

With the engineers, what does it mean when the wiki says you need to both "learn about" an engineer and "get invited"?

Like, Marco Qwent, it says you learn about him from another engineer, but Sirius invites you? How does that work?

Learn about (which relates to the "How to find" column) means just know they exist and have them show up in your engineers menu. Get an invite means they reveal their location so you can actually fly to them. Unlock means what you have to give them so they'll talk to you and do actual engineering.

nessin fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 29, 2018

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
So I took off with DW2 yesterday and the one thing that really struck me is despite playing computer/video games for almost 30 years at this point, I can only think of a few games I ever committed to setting aside time for on a weekly basis for 6+ months ahead of time. I mean it isn't a huge time commitment collectively so it's not a big deal, just was really weird thinking about how I'm planning that out. The only others are big massive strategy games, something like War in the Pacific or a Paradox grand strategy game, or MMOs (of which I think only WoW and Eve Online I ever really thought I'd play that long).

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I wish they hadn't nerfed the High Grade Emissions farming by logging out and in. I know it was contrary to the way they want the system the work but it at least took engineering from ridiculous bullshit to managable, although I never got around to finding an infested system to stock up on Pharmaceutical Isolators. I had hoped after coming back from DW2 I'd put together a Vulture and Krait Mk2 or Chieftan as combat ships and an Imperial Eagle for zooming around. Now I may still do a barebones Eagle and one combat ship, but I'm not going to spend all the time necessary to farm for the rest of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Shine posted:

Basic jumps. I'll mess with neuron jumps when I'm less lazy.

I left the jet boost box checked for plotting navigation and that works great as a way of occasionally getting a long jump and breaking up the monotony of long trips. The in-game plotter is terrible about actually finding neutron routes so it basically just finds one on the rare occasion when your normal path would take you to a neutron star. Get the occasional boost with none of the hassle of the out of game plotting.