Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Just picked this game up on sale along with the Horizon DLC. I have no idea what I'm doing. Is there a newbie guide anywhere that goons like?

Edit: I seem to have misplaced my joystick and the advanced combat tutorial with the little shiplaunched viper was hell with an xbox controller. Couldn't hit poo poo at all. Should I find/buy a joystick or stick with KB+M? I had a much easier time shooting the enemies with the little fighter with keyboard and mouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Oh. Hm.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

I've got an Asp Explorer now for deep core mining. What's next? Python or Krait Mk2? I like being able to shoot stuff and do everything, and the agility of the Explorer is really nice...

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Dwesa posted:

Yup, if you engineer only FSD module to grade 5 with mass manager experimental effect, you can go from 35 ly jump range to about 55 ly.

If you like Asp's agility, I would probably recommend Krait MkII. IIRC, Python can haul more (if you want to mine more) and has more armor or something, but it's less agile, it's also bit slower and can't launch fighters. And I think Krait looks much better in general, Krait's cockpit view is comparable to Asp's, it's a big glass bubble.

What's the cargo difference between the two? In the shipyard purchase screen it shows the two as having the same cargo capacity but I assume the Python has more empty optional slots that the screen isn't showing me?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Oh gently caress ships are worth way more than their initial price tags huh?

Makes sense. I thought oh I have 36 mil I'll buy an asp explorer to replace my keelback and help boost my way for the python. It's only 7 mil.

And then I kitted out my Asp Explorer to do stuff and I'm broke now!!

Artificer fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 13, 2019

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Where do I get Meta Alloys from? I just unlocked Farseer and I could really use some FSD boosts.

Edit: I just got a Python too, but I figure an ASP Explorer might be better while I fumble around for mats and stuff. What's a good Asp or Python un-engineered loadout for farming engineering materials? I also still need a drat meta alloy. Frankly I'm not sure which ship is better for exploring, ASP X or Python, but Farseer is my first engineer and so either one will have to be unengineered while I fly around and try and figure out how to get engineering stuff.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 1, 2019

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Far as I know the only place to buy them is Darnielle's Progress in Maia. You need Horizons.

I fitted out an explorer Asp X from the OP. 13 jumps away. Not terrible, I guess? Thanks.

Will this Asp X help me with finding all the other poo poo I'd need to upgrade stuff from Farseer and the other Engineers?

Artificer fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jul 1, 2019

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Listening to you vets talk makes me really feel that this game is a hellgrind. :v:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Oh poo poo I should have been picking up those discarded bits huh?

Yeah lol I think I went a little mad and did void opal hunting to try and progress so fast and long story short I went from a sidewinder to a python in a weekend and uh yeah it was bad

Edit: So how does engineering work? What should I expect after I fly to Maia and pick up a meta alloy for Farseer?

Artificer fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 1, 2019

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I did Road to Riches this weekend and made 170 million help

How long did it take? Is there a set/recommended route?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Ugh gently caress what the hell. Can I just straight up buy the mats for FSD engineering upgrades? They're all over the place and I'm missing Datamined Wake Exceptions and all the Raw Materials and Manufactured Materials. How do I get them with the least amount of agony?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

This sucks!

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

What loadout do I need to optimally farm the poo poo out of the mats required for Farseer's FSD range upgrades? It seems that I need to run missions? Are there any I need to look for in specific?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

It seems like Chemical Manipulators may be the hardest ones? Are there good options that are easier to farm that I can simply trade in for them?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Many thanks.

Edit: no famine systems found? Huh. Well at least everyone is fed. I'm sure I can farm up enough stuff to trade in for things I need however.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jul 2, 2019

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Cat Wings posted:

I'm mining in a keelback, and aside from the anemic mining laser I need fitted to have all the different tools on it, and the lovely cargo space, it's honestly not a bad little mining ship. Anyone have recommendations for a ship one jump up from it for mining?

The asp explorer was my next step up and the improved agility and cargo space made it work great in asteroid fields, especially for flitting around blasting fissures on a time limit.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

For class 5s and above mass manager has a greater effect on jump range apparently.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Wait, I should have Farseer at rep 3. But I can't build my FSD upgrade 2? Do I need to build upgrade level 1 multiple times?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

pik_d posted:

You need to get it to roughly 80% before you can unlock the next level for each individual internal.

Does building other modules add to the meter or do I specifically have to re-upgrade my level 1 LSD or another FSD to level 1 repeatedly until level 2 unlocks?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Why bother building modules with her? Just turn in exploration data there and unlock them all.

I should have her at level 3 already but I can't build to level 2 FSD. Maybe I'm mistaken and I still am at level 1 rep with her?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

pik_d posted:

Doing lower grade rolls will add to the grade access meter for the engineer, but rolling for grades under the current grade will provide less progress, and also only count if you do them at the engineer's workshop. Doing remote engineering does not increase your access.

But it sounds like you have grade 3 access, but aren't able to upgrade a FSD up to grade 2 yet. You need to get the individual part (the circular % indicator) up to 80% before you can use the next grade on that part.

So that means if I want level 2 improved range I need to make more level 1 improved range FSDs? Or will other types of improved FSDs work?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

pik_d posted:

You can only apply one kind of improvement to a specific FSD. You have to do the same grade improvement until the positive value you are increasing gets to the 10 o'clock position, then you can apply the next grade improvement.

Should I buy multiple 5A FSDs then to slap L1 Jump Range on or just put level 1 on the same one repeatedly?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

pik_d posted:

Same one repeatedly. Though eventually you'll want more FSDs for other ships. But you must get each one up to ~80% before you can use grade 2 on them.

AHHH

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

pik_d posted:

Just figure out what you were doing wrong?

Ah no I appreciate the help. It's just frustrating to have to upgrade the same thing over and over with the same upgrade to unlock the next level.

Helianthus Annuus posted:

its way faster to increase your rep with higher grade blueprints

you mean to tell me you have a module store full of g1 engineered FSDs? lmao well you can sell them for a small profit

I don't. I was just wondering if there was a way to reach those higher grade blueprints first. I can't even build a L2 range FSD with Farseer yet. On that note, I think I've scanned all the data points on Dav's Hope but didn't get a bookmark. Is there a way to get a bookmark of the settlement?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Helianthus Annuus posted:

what might not be clear to you: each time you apply a g1 blueprint to a module, it gets a little bit better. same with g2, g3, g4, and g5.

so just keep re-applying g1 until you unlock g2, and repeat until you run out of materials

not sure why this isn't working for you, sorry

OH. I thought it was literally just the same upgrade. I see, thanks a lot then.

Turns out I just need to get closer to the planet first. Thanks a lot ladies and gents, and sorry for the trouble.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

pik_d posted:

Another thing, when you get an engineer up to grade 4/5, doing the grade 1 upgrade just once will be enough to enable grade 2 for that item. Basically the higher your overall access the more effective your rolls get.

Ah so it makes sense to fully unlock an engineer first. I see. Thanks.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

sensy v2.0 posted:

What? I’ve smashed my Phantom straight into the ground, belly down flying assists off on a 1g planet and it only brought my hull to 70%.

No shields, perhaps damaged already from other accidents?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Are all aspects of ship barbies and cosmetics locked behind microtransactions? I haven't looked into the cosmetic market.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Really? I didn't have much trouble with that tutorial but then went and got my face punched in ingame.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Hmmm there doesn't seem to be any famine locations in the database at the moment. Where else can I find Datamined Wake Exceptions? Or a place where I can farm plenty of data to trade in for them? I need about 3 more upgrades to max out my 5A FSD drive.

Edit: I'm quite happy with my 51.00 LY jump range in my Asp Explorer with full tank and an empty cargo hold though.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

If I have no rep, no relevant engineers for PvE guns, but I have a lot of money to burn. What sort of PvE bounty hunting ship should I look to build? I'll engineer them up eventually of course but right now A-mods are the best I can do.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Ah, enjoy smaller PvE combat ships while I can, is what I'm getting here. I see. Thanks.

Do the Diamond Dogs require an updated Inara Profile? I haven't heard anything from my app. I did find this on Inara though.

"If you are a new Steam user (bought the game recently), the Frontier server may return http 302 error and your account won't be linked and updated. This issue was reported to Frontier and they are working on a solution. There is no ETA of the fix, but there will be an announcement on Inara when solved.

Also, sometimes the Frontier server may not return a complete journal (http 200 or 206 error). In such cases, please just try to make an update later."

I bought it on the Summer Sale and yeah I have this problem.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

How does the pilot survive something that hit the cockpit hard enough to breach it?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Is there a guide for bumrushing unlocking and max repping the big engineers in the game wasting as little time as possible?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Shine posted:

True, but that scales down, too. Collecting enough G5 to trade for a bunch of rolls worth of G3 mats is much easier than additionally collecting enough G5 for a bunch of G5 rolls.

Given that the guy I'm responded to just started playing like two weeks ago and has already posted an "ugh, grinding" sentiment, I think it's worthwhile to remind people that you can get a lot out of engineering without going full poopsock. A G3 Vulture will dominate a RES, and a G3 Chieftain will do fine in a combat zone.

I assume the discord messages talk about how to get the g5 mats?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

I wanna collect them all and then do and orgy of upgrading but my god unlocking and up rerepping engineere is agony

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

GHOST_BUTT posted:

Imo just head out on a long, relaxing exploration trip. When you get back, sell off that data to the engineers; most of the important ones upgrade ranks for data plus they'll pay you cash for the trouble.

Just getting rank 5 with Farseer burned me out on exploration :(

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Trustworthy posted:

Why didn't you just buy some upgrades from her instead? :confused:

Because I was advised to max rep her before burning mats on upgrades. I think.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

I seen pubbies talking about mining painite with just mining lasers and it looks like they don't use a PWA and just shoot prospectors all over the hotspot.

I want to shoot lasers instead of deep core mining because i'm lazy, any body got a visual guide of what 'roids i want to prospect for this?

Use http://edtools.ddns.net/miner

Find the location where two or more painite hotspots overlap. Crash into that location. Start sending out prospectors and if you find painite mine it. That's basically it. You'll find plenty of painite this way. There aren't visual distinctions for laser mining unlike core mining.

Edit: Alright I've purchased for myself a bevy of combat ships. Let's work our way from the bottom up to get a taste of speed and maneuverability before we slow down for the bigger guns! Anyone got good recommendations for Eagle/I-Eagle builds? I'm not sure how combat PVE fits are supposed to look. :D I've got ships from the Eagle/I-Eagle alllll the way up to the Alliance series and the Mamba/Fer-De-Lance line!

Edit: What are good ways of finding PvE fights? In order of effort/difficulty? I'll save mat farming/grinding until after I have some fun with space combat first.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Ok so there's no shape/ size/ pulse wave signature to look for? Just poo poo prospectors all over the place/ scratch test them?

Yup! As long as it has a bit of painite that your prospector finds, go hog wild.