Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

empathe posted:

I want to love this game but I'm just so bad at dogfighting.

That's the nice thing about this game - you don't have to do (much) dogfighting if you don't want to :sun:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I went to one of the pristine multi-hotspot platinum rings and hoovered up 60 million in like 1H 10M (including hauling) in my python, that's gotta be a new record :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Hotspot laser mining is pretty good - http://edtools.ddns.net/miner

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

DelphiAegis posted:

Ah good point. Thank you both. I have about 300mil in credits now, so the engineering grind is my next large project to feel like I'm "advancing".

I am aware that 300mil is probably not near enough for the long run but it's a drat sight more than any of the ships I'm looking to outfit cost (for now).

The Anaconda would like a word :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The manufactured materials grind gets real stupid, real fast :cripes:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Every time I’ve tried playing with flight assist off I just turn into the death blossom from the last star fighter. That people can actually fly / keep track of momentum is commendable.

I've done some FA-OFF combat in VR, it can turn into vomit comet real quick...

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

:laffo:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Welp, I got that Guardian FSD booster and a moderately engineered conda - seems silly to not gallivant across the galaxy looking at the sights.

Y'all can probably guess the first stop

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

This game (and the universe) is so pretty

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Apparently they blocked off a bunch of systems from Barnard's loop towards the Seagull nebulae, so ... I guess the space madness leads in a different direction!

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

toplitzin posted:

I just made it to Jawul from the elephants trunk and I am glad for neutron boosting to get back.

Will need another 250m to setup an anaconda.
But first, some mining and more adventures.

What anaconda build are you looking at?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

(Double) hotspot platinum mining is still pretty decent, and there are guides for it.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Gonkish posted:

Engineers have always been to the detriment of the game. That they're somewhat less grindy than they originally were doesn't change that fact.

Meanwhile, I can't wait to see how every single spacelegs mission is exactly the same due to cookie cutter base layouts and the typical mile-wide, inch-deep Elite design.

It's weird to me that they didn't add ship interiors. I just want to walk around my ship.

I only bothered to unlock Farseer for the FSD, gently caress the rest.

I do hope they'll spend some more time on base designs etc. seeing as we'll have missions going to them, but knowing frontier that won't happen :smith:

Getting out of your chair in VR and walking around is pretty cool.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I stumbled across HIP 36601 in some youtube vid, figured I didn't have an excuse not to go there :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I got one of those FSDs before the "rebate" expired on them, I need to drop it onto a DBX along with a guardian fsd booster to see how well it works, might replace my Anaconda for space madness :v:

I just need to find my way back to the bubble first :haw:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

John F Bennett posted:

Can I just go out and buy all these materials that are needed for the Engineered FSD V1? Or do I have to do that entire thing I don't like to do.

https://www.edsm.net/en/system/id/14549450/name/HIP+36601

Pro tip for elements. Still takes a few hours :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

kemikalkadet posted:

yeah it's fine for that but if you're doing a couple hundred jumps out before you get to the place you want to start exploring, then it's really nice to have a big scoop that can top you up in the time it takes to get out of the overheat zone while you line up the next jump. When I'm going really long haul I want to be constantly jumping and having to slow down to scoop annoys me.

I have the biggest scoop on my conda and it's pretty nice :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Grashnak posted:

The conda still has a much better jump range than any other explo ship, but the double engineered FSD does close the gap somewhat. Just goes to show how truly dumb the conda really is.

Yeah. My conda isnt too hardcore and still gets 65 ly with a full tank of gas. It has two SRVs and a shield, even :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I bought the "all expansions" pass years ago because I'm an idiot so I'll have to try it out :v:

E:D has steadily improved over time, and it still scratches that itch I get every few months, so I'd say it was worth it.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I don't care too much about odyssey fps, I just do the things that scratch my itch. Lately it has been running around in the black :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I got chills from that.

Might have to dig out my VR headset for this release :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Sound design, especially for VR is amazing.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Can't argue with that, really. The only thing I rushed to get in on was that discount on the pre-upgraded FSD, other than that, I only got the guardian FSD booster and into engineering a few months ago, and went on exploration binges in a 65 Ly conda after that.

Looking forward to seeing the new planets and the breathtaking views this game can generate from time to time.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I only had to flip instance once to get the Guardian FSD booster, iirc.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

busalover posted:

Is mining still nerfed? Last time I played, you looked up some websites showing triple hotspots, went there and made a decent income. Then there was a nerf? Idk I feel like playing again, but if there's no new additional trading gameplay-loop, I'm less enthused.

Platinum, while nerfed, is still steady money.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Bedshaped posted:

Can't it be rebound like that?

Yeah it can.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

It sounds like you're running on the ragged edge of not being able to afford to rebuy - you might want to consider that, too.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Nice piece of fish posted:

Consider this alternative purchase instead: buy a different game

:drat:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Even an AspX can make more mining in a plat hot-spot, I think?

I easily did 30+ mill an hour in a python a few months ago, and 40+ in a conda, and that was without poopsocking :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Bedshaped posted:

drat I changed my CMDR name so it looks like I can only upload the last couple of months :(

You can only do that by restarting, right?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Ah, okay

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Isn't road to riches mostly in the bubble? Won't find a lot of unexplored systems there :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Ambaire posted:

Is there any way to transfer modules or ships between commanders? I started playing my second account (the free Epic one) but getting a decent ship is such a grind by default, not to mention all the needed engineer stuff. I just wanna give it my DBX explorer so I can go out into the black and still do stuff in the bubble with my main.

Mine som platinum, drop it off (abandon) for your alt (in a wing or whatever) and have the alt sell it for cash.

That's what we used to do to bootstrap people in the olden days, I think it still works?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Tommy the Newt posted:

If you know someone with a fleet carrier you can twink commodities easily, you can drop off a bunch of stuff then set the sell price at 5% of the galactic average - it's close enough to being free to be worth it versus manually scooping stuff in space. I think there's about 1000 tons of platinum on my carrier for boostrapping.

drat, that's a neat trick. I generally play solo (or in a small group), and none of the people I play with have fleet carriers :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Tommy the Newt posted:

Add me in game if you want to use one without joining the Frogs. But you can also join the Frogs if you fancy it, comes with no obligations.

Cool! I'll have to look into joining the frogs as well. Not that I play all that much, but being able to help out where I can is always nice.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Ambaire posted:

The game is actually quite a bit more fun when I change my expectations from "must get max everything NOW or game boring" to "this is an adventure and the goal is to have fun exploring a galaxy."

No no, don't tell people this, they might get the wrong idea about Elite :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I went back into the black again, though only found one properly unexplored system so far :v:

Went up a few hundred Ly before heading towards Sag A* but some other people had the same idea before me.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Inspector Hound posted:

It's not a bad strategy! Coming at the core from any angle other than straight bubble--->core, on the disk, will net you new systems. Try adjusting again, maybe orbiting the center for a bit or plunging straight "down" through the disk.

Yeah, I'm still above the plane and getting some more unknowns (including some water planets :toot: )

Might do a dogleg to the side. Current destination is one of the nebulas 'thataway' :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Polo-Rican posted:

what view is this?? been playing this game for 5 years and not sure what I'm looking at in this screenshot!

It's from EDSM:sun:

(not to be confused with BDSM! :rimshot:)

E: just ran across this, pretty neat:

Wibla fucked around with this message at 15:02 on May 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Warmachine posted:

That's a thread-title if I've ever heard one.

Not emptyquoting :sun: