Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011
What are the chances that patch today nukes the Tritium flipping?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Just a slight update on that, Coni is up at 40k/t right now, I've been doing RBI 1843 to Rasmussen for 4k/t to 80k/t respectively. Obviously if there's a publicly dockable carrier at Coni offering better, do that.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Locator posted:

That's a pretty huge change in sell price at Coni. Was that from the patch or does the market change radically like that on a normal basis? My ship is currently docked in Coni, but I loaded up on Tritium at 4k before I logged so will just need to hunt around for a new place to buy at after I unload this cargo.

I only started doing it after the patch but I couldn't say for sure one way or the other.

There are a metric fuckton of carriers in RBI 1843 (I'm probably misremembering that number somehow) as well so check if any of them are offering better.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Hakarne posted:

So let's say one is a dumb babby whose experience with the game consists of "finished the tutorial and made ship go zoom". What do I do to take advantage of this likely-temporary money bonanza? Where do I go to get started and can I even get there in the starter ship? I have no idea how fuel/distances work.

I have only played Elite in small chunks over the years so I might be out of date on some of this but in order;

https://inara.cz/galaxy-commodity/10269/

Go here, go to the Best Buy tab and sort by price, find a system that's selling around 4k/t or so. Then put that system name into the system box on the right side of the page under Tritium, go to the Best Sell tab and sort by distance (not st distance.) Ideally you want a station buying for 80k+/t with high demand, which you can check against that station in the last tab of that page. Lower demand means you won't be paid the full 80k/t but it won't be that much lower in my experience.

Getting there in a Sidewinder will take a minute because of your jump range but it should be doable, provided you don't run into that extremely annoying belt of brown dwarfs that's out in this direction. Basically, buy a fuel scoop - and a bigger fuel tank if you can swing it - for your Sidewinder, look up a tutorial on youtube for fuel scooping because it's much easier to just see it done in a thirty second video, set your buying destination as a route in your galaxy map (left cockpit panel, galaxy map, second tab, enter name, set course) and then go there, either fuel scooping or buying fuel from stations on the way.

E: Buy Tritium, do that until you can afford a hauler and fill the hauler with cargo bays, do the hauler until you can afford a Type 5 and cargo bays, then a Type 9 and cargo bays, then dehumanize yourself to space trucking.

Orv fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jun 11, 2020

Orv
May 4, 2011
Can you only ship transfer so far? I thought I might have sold my Anaconda like an idiot but it might just be ~*somewhere*~?

Orv
May 4, 2011
I have the money for an Anaconda on hand but doing that and outfitting it would be just about all of it. I did the old forty minute passenger run from a couple years ago or whenever that was and bought a lot of the toys I wanted then but bumped into the engineer grind and noped out pretty hard. I'm a lot more tolerant of what Elite is these days but I still wanna own all the toys and have some money on hand for engineering and whatever the ground stuff eventually becomes. I did some tritium hauling but my brain does have kind of a hard limit on that sort of completely same-y repetition so I figured I'd go try LTD mining. Ah well, I've got a Krait and Python also sitting around for it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

FredLordofCheese posted:

Deep core mining is probably the most fun I have ever had resource gathering in a game. You want a smaller nimble ship that can move fast from rock to rock, and fly around laying charges. With some good luck you can be in and out of the ring in 45 minutes with ~60 million spacebux in your hold. You can do it in an Anaconda, but it would not be as fun. The Krait is an excellent ship to core mine with, and so is the python.

This is what I take out LTD or Opal mining, nice and cheap to build and refit. Plus the time in the belt is low enough I don't lose my mind.
https://coriolis.io/outfit/keelback...BDA5gG2SGF8hRFA

That sounds pretty much perfect, thanks.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The hell is this "Jump exceeds fuel tonnage limit" or whatever thing, what's the point of a jump range if I can't use it? I assume I've boned up an outfitting somewhere but I'd never run into it before.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Inspector Hound posted:

If anything, your loadout not being able to take advantage of your jump range frees you to drop to a smaller drive and bigger guns (or whatever, but I'm assuming guns)

But doctor, the point of my loadout is jump range!

Ah well, can't have it all I suppose.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I mean I didn't actually fit for exploration style jump range I just bashed in a bunch of D modules and got caught in my own cleverness. It's fine though, got out to mining town and time to learn that.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Tonight I murdered an whole asteroid and supped of its delicious mineral innards and that was hands down the coolest poo poo I've seen in a space game in a hot minute. So much so that I will probably just do that for fun because it's extremely satisfying.

That said, I'm here to tell you, or I guess more accurately confirm prior reports - subsurface LTD mining is absurd right now.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Now, logically I know that celestial bodies are fuckoff huge but I do have two questions completely and totally unrelated to that.

1. Will I ever need more than one meta-alloy?
2. Is there a fast way back to your ship in an SRV?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Both good options, thanks. I actually used the ship recall feature and it did exactly what I wanted it to though I have to suspect it has some way it can go horrifically wrong.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Either I cannot find this crash site on Orrere or it has been balanced out of existence, what's the current engineering mats farm de jure?

E: I am the dumbest motherfucker alive, -173 jesus christ I'm an idiot.

Orv fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jun 14, 2020

Orv
May 4, 2011
Uh, my Clipper appears to be haunted by the sounds of like, industrial engineering or something? Sometimes fireworks or an elevator. Relogging hasn't fixed it nor has changing systems, it sounds kinda like ambient sound at Farseer Inc which I left when it started but it's not stopping and is extremely disconcerting.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Ah hell now my Asp is haunted by the ghost of Mister Microwave and The Occasional Elevator. What a weird issue.

Anyway, turns out engineering is pretty goddamn busted, first level FSD boosting alone is a massive QoL increase. Also neutron stars, somewhat hot.

Orv fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jun 14, 2020

Orv
May 4, 2011
"Hmmm I seem to be approaching the surface of this planet awfully fast, how many Gs is... ah."

Lessons learned.

Orv
May 4, 2011
FCs are mode-independent, anything that goes into or out of them is accessible (in as far as the carrier's settings allow) in any mode.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Is the Courier still king zoom? I feel like now that I'm working on engineers I should probably put at least one fuckoff fast boat together.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Well there's a patch in 20 minutes so there's no way that's sticking around.

E: RIP.

Orv fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jun 17, 2020

Orv
May 4, 2011

deadly_pudding posted:

I read somewhere that Spacelegs isn't gonna have VR support at launch? How's that supposed to work lol

Like are they gonna strip it out of the whole game, or do you just have to take off the headset when your avatar stands up

I assume it'll be another SKU split where the Elite Dangerous: Odyssey branch won't have VR support so you'll need to relaunch the game between Horizons/Odyssey depending on what you're doing.

And to give them credit, translating no motion sit down VR especially in a game where the VR client already resizes everything, into full standing and moving VR is not an easy task.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Bargearse posted:

...aaaaaaaand gently caress it, as usual I'm like thirty seconds too late getting in on a gold rush.

Subsurface LTD only got a 25% nerf so you'd merely have to find two rocks to fill up your average mining fit instead of one.

And there's no mention of a fix for reloading to refresh the rock so that might still be there.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Hemish posted:

Looks like they killed the overlapping hotspots so it might be a lot harder to find rocks quickly like before.

They said that double overlaps are worse now but triple overlaps (which AFAIK is all anyone cares about anyway?) will still do the job they already were, though maybe somewhat less.

I'm sure the youtube crowd will have answers in a day or two.

Orv
May 4, 2011

calandryll posted:

Anyone have a recommended guide for grinding engineers? Now that I have some money, figured it was time to boost some things like my FSD.

I have been on and off following this guide to fast tracking engineer unlocks and then this youtube video for the easiest/cheesiest place to farm the various engineering mats. Either of those might be grossly wrong or out of date so if anyone in here notices such do feel free to tell me how much time I've wasted. :v:

It's a shitass grind either way, unfortunately.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah I took a break from my E:D stuff due to life and just malaise but definitely wanted to thank you for that updated guide. The original was fine but yours is top notch.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Never ported from PS3. There were plans to update it, but I haven't heard anything in years. :ccp:

They have begun development, refactored development - either changing tack entirely or just changing scope - and canceled development on a DUST sequel or successor at least twice that we know of and quite possibly three times. :v:

Orv
May 4, 2011
The game uninstalls itself and installs one of the MP Freelancer mods.

Orv
May 4, 2011

moolchaba posted:

The same support staff guy at Frontier just emailed me again and said he'd found my Chieftain and that they are restoring it to me (with the warning they may not be able to do this next time).

:dance:

Found seems like a very odd word in this context.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Don't the people who actually care about fair 1v1s already run a group between themselves for that purpose anyway? Youtubers et al

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's because they'll be adding things to the ground portion of the game for the next four years and it'll still be poo poo when they're done.

Orv
May 4, 2011

kemikalkadet posted:

Like all the SRV content they added during horizons.. oh

I mean that is absolutely another possible outcome but it's hard not to look at how E:D has gone and imagine them just tacking dumb poo poo no one wants onto Odyssey in patches that are way too far apart with nothing to do.

Orv
May 4, 2011
They definitely talked back in the Kickstarter days about, if I am not going insane, being able to walk back into the cargo bay of your ship and look at all your cargo in its racks.

The trouble is that serves no purpose and it's one of the (ten trillion) things bogging Star Citizen down; gameplay can exist but it doesn't have to and your game can still be fun.

Orv
May 4, 2011

moolchaba posted:

Are we going to be able to walk around inside of our Fleet carriers?

I expect that this will be the capstone update to whatever update tail Odyssey has, will then get pared back to "You can walk around the bridge of your fleet carrier!", delayed six months and then crash the server every five minutes for a week.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Finally went to the trouble of putting together a Mamba and loving with the engines. I love this thing, I just want one that can go more than 5ly on a tank, it’s not like anyone else uses them. :negative:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tommy the Newt posted:

You just need to embrace never travelling in combat ships. Use a phantom/DBE and ship transfer to get them where you want them and do something else in the meantime. I don't even bother modding FSDs for them anymore. They're actually quite popular ships though... among gankers because they can outrun anything they can't kill. They're ok in pve provided you like careening around in a barely controlled hellsled.

I really do like careening around in a barely controlled hellsled. :allears:

And yeah, it's only mildly annoying to travel in another ship and transfer but it's just annoying enough. Ah well.

Orv
May 4, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

I wonder if folks know what an “Alpha” actually is. All the complaints about bugs and performance issues and this and that make it seem like folks are expecting a perfectly performing piece of software. I’ve been playing for a bit and it’s definitely obtuse and has some performance hiccups....but it’s an alpha. That means this isn’t even a beta test.

Despite what the large publishers may have managed to convince some people of, you aren’t in alpha two months from public release, even as an early access title (in most non-grift cases anyway.) Some of this will certainly get cleaned up but a bunch of it is still gonna be jacked.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Finally sat down and did some brief mission abandoning to actually be able to afford decent equipment. This could actually be pretty fun if it got ironed out in terms of basically everything. It's not something that would become like a daily thing for me, I don't think it could ever get that good, but if they got it working smoothly and tightened up the combat just a bit I'd just hop in every so often to shoot dudes in space cause there sure aren't any other shooters that look like this or take place where it does.

So, welp!

Orv
May 4, 2011
Alright when you've got people earnestly responding it's time to source your quotes.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Well that's less fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Polo-Rican posted:

I'm not sure how much frontier could do to alleviate the "shallow" complaints because gamers are nuts. If they added 100 scripted missions, gamers would blow through them all in one night... if they added 1,000 scripted missions, gamers would blow through them in three nights. If they generated 10,000 unique items that were sprinkled throughout the planets and systems, gamers would discover them in one month, they wouldn't add value to gamers who didn't discover them, and the same "shallow" complaints would resurface.

For what it's worth, most of the time when complaints of shallowness are leveled against a video game, the breadth of content is rarely a factor in what's being discussed. In fact the amount of content will often contribute to that shallowness feeling when it's hundreds of hours of the same three step, no variation content.

That's the problem Elite has and has had since its launch and while I think in some places they've taken pretty good strides to alleviating that, in other places they've done literally nothing at all or they've added on additional branches to shallow content pools that are much, much deeper but require absurd amounts of investment to even begin to play with. Basically any other combat in the game vs ATX stuff, for example.

E: And there's stuff in the game that even if it's 'shallow' is still extremely satisfying. Even I, who continually bounce off the game and have for years of trying to get into it for more than a week at a time, really enjoy doing exploration or just flying around seeing cool space poo poo. I object when flying cool space poo poo turns into a job, which is why RtR was out for me, but it'll never stop looking cool and Odyssey is only going to make it look cooler.

Orv fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 31, 2021