Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Armitag3 posted:

Maybe it's a processing power thing.

This falls flat on its rear end when you realize people play this game wirelessly on VR headsets all the time.

Speaking of, that was fun! Too bad I have no idea how to find this mission-related sensor contact!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Thundarr posted:

Magnet boots require engineering. The only engineer in the galaxy with the blueprint hangs out at a base about 7kly northeast of Sag A* because he likes the view.

Coincidentally, he's rich as gently caress.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'm still in the honeymoon period with this being like my fourth day in game, so all of this high-level state of the game discussion goes right over my head. I landed on a planet and took an SRV out for the first time last night. It was rad! Drive around doing donuts, drive into a facility all cagey like expecting the turrets to shoot me instantly. Kerbal myself off some rocks. All on the night side of a planet so night vision on the whole time with the headlamps off because I'm paranoid the NPCs might be able to spot me because of them. And then when I go to leave, my ship is in the trespassing zone and I can't figure out how to lift off since "Joy Y" is non-specific between my flight stick and throttle analog stick and racked up a bounty before figuring out it meant the throttle analog stick. :buddy:

Today I just discovered that the conflict zones I've been puttering around in with my unengineered Cobra III are really kinda meant for bigger engineered ships. I've gotten OK at not dying, so maybe these are making me a better pilot? Even if it's mindblowingly frustrating having to search for targets I can reasonably fight. So much of everything just outclasses me so much there's not much point to even trying to shoot at it.

I think I'm gonna get a space truck tonight so I can build up a bank with it.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Polo-Rican posted:

Yep, in general you shouldn't really be initiating combat until you have a good combat ship. But one thing you can do is cycle through targets until you find an enemy ship that's already under attack, and then assist the friendlies that are attacking it. For years, doing this in resource extraction sites was by far the fastest way for new players to earn money. If you assist in bringing down a big anaconda, you can net 200k+... even if all you did was tap it a few times.

Yeah, I settled into an adapted boom and zoom style where if I could out turn and generally stay in the thing's blind spot, I'll stick around and dogfight, but if it becomes clear whatever I'm shooting can outmanuver me in a turn fight, I put all power to engines and boost the gently caress out. If they lose interest, great. If not, I can decide whether to go to SC or try and turn the fight now that they're separated from their friends. Anacondas and Pythons are the biggest things that are above my weight though, and I don't really have anything to crack them with. Well, maybe if I put railguns back on again, but I kinda prefer the gimballed multicannons I'm using because the gimbals let me be a bit more evasive and hit things that aren't 100% on the centerline if I need to.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Got me my Type 6 and lasered myself some Painite tonight. Way more fun than lasering rocks in EVE ever was.

chaosapiant posted:

I wonder if folks know what an “Alpha” actually is. All the complaints about bugs and performance issues and this and that make it seem like folks are expecting a perfectly performing piece of software. I’ve been playing for a bit and it’s definitely obtuse and has some performance hiccups....but it’s an alpha. That means this isn’t even a beta test.

The words "alpha" and "beta" have meant absolutely nothing outside of internal communications since the words "demo" and "early access" were put out to pasture circa 2008.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

Honestly managing to not die even in low CZs in an unengineered cobra 3 means if you get even a competent combat ship, let alone an engineered one, you'll be absolutely fine in CZs. Buy a chieftain, put gimballed MCs in every slot except two of the 1s, which should get rails, you should be fine in low CZs.

Well that makes me feel valid that I'd gained something from the experience. I think I ate poo poo like 2 or 3 times before I understood the pecking order and started picking my targets smarter and avoiding the larger stuff that could push my poo poo in. I also didn't make the apparently common mistake of trying to shoot everyone? It helped that I was trying a mission, so I knew which faction I wanted to be shooting at. Marked "Mostly Harmless" of all things. Apparently combat zone missions are rated by the number of kills you need to get, rather than by the fact that this area is designed for people with more than 4 days in game.

Last night's mining was profitable. Pulled a cool 12M for basically no effort, paying off the entire buy-in for my Type 6 with room to spare. Going to try doing this again before work this morning.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Statutory Ape posted:

I dislike taxis, and chatter, so I will switch to star citizen

I gotta get the zinger in: You must not like money or playing your games either :smuggo:

Thundarr posted:

Lasers are ok for CZs as long as they aren't ALL you have and the ones you do have are engineered. Otherwise ammo will always be an issue in CZ fights unless you synthesize more, have a nearby station or FC to resupply at, or do something weird like get that plasma mod that sucks your fuel as ammo (can't really recommend this).

Ammo synthesis kind of sucks to deal with but after you've been playing for a while and happen to be sitting on a giant pile of iron and nickel, may as well use it to save yourself a little time if you don't need repairs too.

So what's the deal with lasers then? My experience so far is that they strip shields great (exactly as designed) and are mostly OK at armor. So for my Cobra 3 I've been running 2x 1E beam lasers and 2x 2F multicannons with a very obvious gameplay loop. My combat goal right now is an Fer De Lance with a 4A beam and then 4x rail guns, with the idea that the gimbal laser strips shields and provides secondary DPS to armor, and the rails do the job of killing the target.

Of course, I also considered going oops all beams on something and thought that on paper it looked fine and would rock for endurance if I knew I couldn't resupply.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Tommy the Newt posted:

Railguns do primarily thermal damage and draw a lot of distributor so pair poorly with a beam, you'd run out of power fast. Also rails aren't really much good for primary damage due to the low rate of fire and limiting ammo capacity. You can make them primary damage with short range engineering and ambition and a lot of heatsinks but it's not easy. They pair best with a corrosive multicannon for higher hull damage. https://youtu.be/pZ_HaE440mM

The reason lasers are considered to be bad is they have poor DPS, DPE and piercing, they're especially poor against hull which higher level NPCs have tons of. Plus multicannons can be modded to do thermal damage (a 90:10 split of thermal and kinetic) with the incendiary mod, which makes them do more damage for less power, with higher piercing than an equivalently sized laser.

Before you can engineer, and in lower level combat like RES then lasers on the small mounts for dealing with shields is still totally fine though.

If you want to read lots of words about why certain things work and others don't here's a guide https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ImHTbJAU9j2E7lChwuOG5NDRQvKOc6Bicw6yVK58ADk/edit?usp=sharing Engineering is a very time consuming process and there's no real easy way to know what's good and what's a trap before committing in game, and there are A LOT of traps.

I'm always down to read a lot of words on time consuming games so I don't get 200 hours in and discover I made every choice wrong.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

So after reading How Do I Ships down to where the author starts posting examples, it seems my alternate configuration--1x Beam, 4x MC--would also cut butter.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

I can't wait to get a mission on a high grav world and just pancake my ship onto the target from 50km up.

Only buying if buildings are destructable by ships.

I unironically want strafing runs and CAS bombing. That would make the inclusion of leg mode worth it for me, a pilot who would love to paste mans from 5km above them.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

queeb posted:

mouse and keyboard seems to work pretty decently in this. had to rebind throttle to mouse wheel but other than that its pretty smooth.

I'm in the more money than sense category, but if you think you're gonna play long term, I'd think about a HOTAS. I absolutely adore mine, and while I'm also doing this in VR, it's so much easier for me to play the throttle with an actual throttle.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Strategic Tea posted:

I think CAS is in if you can have a mate take down their anti air? Dunno how effective it will be though!

I'm gonna put my chips on "Dust 514."

Speaking of: Where's the station?

queeb posted:

ive been hovering around a quest 2 purchase so if this gets its hooks in ill probably pick that up to experience it.

also i did 2 courier missions and im fuckin loaded now, 80k!

:buddy::hf::buddy:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Blind Rasputin posted:

I think we’ve had some unassailable reverence for FDev and their capabilities ever since this game came out. There is something undeniable about it, but sadly this has tricked us. If this was any other developer, and not the developer of elite dangerous, the game would’ve dropped off everyone’s playlists years ago and thrown into the pile of c-tier gunk that no one plays. But instead, we’ve all continued to hold a candle for FDev, for some reason confident that they’ll make the game we all want.

They haven’t. And they won’t. This expansion makes it clear that they are really not good at video games. Really not good at all. The fact that they haven’t addressed anything wrong with the base game for years should say enough. I don’t think it’s that they don’t care, or are too busy to focus on these core problems. I think it’s actually that they just aren’t good or competent enough to focus on them or fix them to any degree. Who knows wether that’s due to mismanagement or lack of person-power or lack of simple capability. But it doesn’t matter.

If anyone actually wants anything fixed, wants to keep holding out hope that they’ll be the company we think they are, they should send a clear message to them by uninstalling and letting them know why.

But enough about CIG.

thespaceinvader posted:

The things elite does well for me:

be big, look good
have been free on Epic six months ago at a time when I wanted big collaborative semi multiplayer games to keep up with friends during lockdown
have been suggested as an option by said friends
be a big, good looking, pretty fidget cube for me to occupy my hands with whilst watching tv during lockdown

The BGS being massively single player is also interesting, but I don't think actually done as well as it could be.

I'm not expecting the FPS element to be good, but I have no articular interest in the FPS element so I'm not goign to be hugely disappointed, and it does look substantially better (which I might even be able to take advantage of if my GPU ever arrives)...

Yeah, the itch it's scratching for me is a VR sandbox game about space flight with little finagling with the controls so I can basically plug in my HOTAS and headset and go. I haven't really seen the jank yet though I'm sure I will in time since I'm still in the honeymoon phase of a new game. Somehow it manages to keep lasering space rocks interesting for me, which is more than EVE ever did.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

why not?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I mean...

If you want depth, you basically have to outsource gameplay to the players and build a robust scaffold for them to hang things on. IMO EVE does a good job of the first part by making the vast majority of the economy player run. It's absolutely dogshit at the second part, since quite a bit of the core gameplay is either fork-in-eyes boring or suffers from Polo-Rican's induced demand problem--if CCP made 10,000 player fights run smooth as butter, we'd try to cram 15,000 players into the fight.

Give Elite a full player economy, ability to build their own factions, and reasons to choose one part of the galaxy over another, and you'll get emergent gameplay as people start to come together and factionalize and compete. (Assuming uniform distribution of resources there's no reason other than pettiness to not just fly out to the rear end end of the periphery and just build your own little fiefdom. Space is BIG.)

But even if FDEV does that, you'll have the problem of the scaffold sucking hot rear end, if the general complaints I'm reading are accurate. At which point you basically have EVE but with twitch controls. Which come to think of it would probably sell like hotcakes. :frontear: pay me.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Orv posted:

I do not think you remotely need to turn the game into EVE to give it depth.

Though I do sort of want to see the timeline where that happened and it was EVE but with an even more stubborn, self-absorbed and critically disconnected studio at the helm than CCP. Be a fun show.

I mean, me too. And I want to see it be inexplicably successful so that the gift keeps giving.

But I also don't think there's a good way to emulate depth in something at the scale of Elite without focusing on player-to-player interactions and putting the locus of your gameplay on those.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Is there anything I can do to make sure I'm firing prospector limpets into asteroids that have the minerals I want? Also, how close do I need to be to actually fire the drat thing, and how can I tell? I keep running into situations where I go to fire off a limpet, it loads the thing, and then just eats it without launching it. This is distinct from me crashing into them.

I basically want to make using the prospectors a bit more satisfying instead of firing off 5 until I find a rock that has the junk I want in it.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Thundarr posted:

If you're moving when you fire a limpet, you can run it over and kill it since it's launched from your cargo hold, not your nose. Usually it's best to either be at a full stop or moving slowly (under 120ish m/s) in a straight line. It isn't always obvious that you've crashed into it because if you roll and kill it the moment it comes out of your cargo bay, you won't see it unless you're watching in third person.

As long as you're within 3-5km of an asteroid your prospector will reach it before expiring. Unless it bugs out and clips through the asteroid entirely, in which case welp. You'll get a feel for the size of the asteroids and how close they are to you.

And there's no way to know exactly what is in the asteroid before you use the prospector limpet, unless you laser it first. Which you don't want to do because that'll just deplete from is total yield and defeat the purpose of bringing the prospector limpet controller.

Cease to Hope posted:

Prospector limpets are the best way to tell what an asteroid is made of. That's what they're for. Finding an asteroid that's just made of useless garbage isn't a waste of a limpet; it's the limpet saving you from wasting your time.

Limpet misfires are you just running them over. You have to come to a full stop to be 100% safe. Going really slowly - like 25% throttle with your scoop open - is also usually pretty safe. If the limpet doesn't appear, though, it's because you crashed into it, even if you can't see that you crashed into it. It's a dumb system.

Huh. I mean I've crashed into them before and watched their little bodies go tumbling off into space, but these didn't even show up on my scope. I'll try and do some rangefinding tests to see if doing this from a full stop works more consistently. Usually to alleviate the crashes I've been slewing upward so that my velocity vector will always be up and away from the limpet's vector.

The reason I asked is because I almost always have the problem I mentioned if I'm not within mining laser range already, and I want to do driveby limpet shots so I can keep moving and only turn around if the prospector reports painite/gold/platinum/osmium whatever.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Cease to Hope posted:

For what it's worth, you can probably skip gold if you're optimizing your selling location at all. You can reasonably get 200K/ton for painite, platinum, or osmium (spiking up to 250-300K on a very good day), while gold tops out at about 70K if you find the absolute best place in the entire galaxy to sell it.

Gold and palladium are kind of a trap. Their average price is comparable to plat/osmium/painite, but you don't want to sell at the average price. Their peak prices are much lower, for whatever reason.

Honestly I've been just hoovering painite right now and skipping platinum/osmium altogether since I can usually find something in the 350k+ range for the painite within a reasonable haul distance. Fill the hold with pain, swap the limpet controller for a fuel scoop, go about 100ly and sell, then fill the hold with something else to sell at the hotspot location and repeat.

It's funny because on my last run I barely saw any NPC pirates while hauling the painite, then on the way back with a load of iridium like 6 tried to interdict me.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Got my Type-9 Heavy :woop:

It flies like a dryer full of lead bricks. That's all.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Took my T-9 out to laser some rocks. I really need one of those class A engineered power distributers--medium mining lasers guzzle power. On the other hand, even capped out they pretty much grind a rock in a minute or so. If I can get them running for more than 10 seconds full bore, I can probably chew rocks faster than my limpets can haul fragments.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

My first turn-in with the Type-9 netted me a cool 85M, which let me finish outfitting it with a proper power distribution unit, thrusters, and power plant. I now have a haul about twice the size of that first one. I ran out of limpets before I ran out of cargo space. Whoops.

The most irritating thing was that one of my missions to gather 201 units of a mineral ended up spawning a pirate kill bonus. If I was maintaining a fightman ship, maybe this wouldn't be an issue, but instead he became a very persistent irritant as every time I undocked or went into SC, there he was with his little interdictor and zero ability to actually hold me down showing up to screw up my flight path. He was super easy to evade, just so drat persistent.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 2, 2021

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Warmachine posted:

I now have a haul about twice the size of that first one.

This is now past tense and not in a good way. I forgot to account for landing pad size going to my first choice of sell destination, so I had to divert to a secondary. It just so happens that someone was waiting the gank the first slow heavy motherfucker who dropped out of high wake, and I unfortunately tried to be cheeky and talk rather than doing what I knew I SHOULD do, which is immediately high wake to anywhere but here.

So yeah, RIP my paydirt. I made some of the loss back on the trip home doing a multi-hop trade run, but it was a fraction of a fraction of what my painite was worth.

I learned two things from this:

1) Always ALWAYS immediately high wake. Do not pass go, do not collect 200 credits.
2) Refit for travel with proper module and bulkhead reinforcement. Don't piss about with collector lipet controllers because you're too lazy to swap them.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Thundarr posted:

Or just do your mining and deliveries in solo because you gain literally nothing at all from doing it in open other than add the risk of being ganked while flying a ship with no chance of winning a fight.

Nah. That rubs me the wrong way, similar to how some of the Youtube videos for farming engineering mats suggest reloading in solo to respawn the mats does.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Tommy the Newt posted:

I respect a bit of ebushido and wanting to stay in Open if that's your jam, because gently caress knows this game is only fun if you force it to be on your own terms - whatever those happen to be. Sadly the power/health spectrum is so wide that it is difficult to run multirole ships around dangerous instances before engineering them, and impossible without making sacrifices for HRPs / boosters etc. Going to solo is obviously the path of least resistance. If you're set on this though then a few tips:

- Heatsinks are your best friend, one-stop countermeasure that do the job of chaff and point defence together.
- Try to get your healthpool above 1000hp as an absolute bare minimum, less than this and you can be instagibbed.
- Boost towards and around your attacker while spooling a jump, never away from them in a straight line. It's much easier to shoot most stuff at mid-to-long range, and you won't outrun them anyway. Any kind of arc is better than a straight line, even if you're in Braben's fattest ship.
- Pre-plot a highwake from the galaxy map when you arrive in a system, then use the "next system in route" key to immediately select it in a pinch.
- You can press CTRL + B to display the bandwidth monitor and see whether you've been instanced with anyone, so you know when you need to be cautious. If that's too cheesy then just keep an eye on your contacts history (comms panel) and try to face any hollow contacts in cruise until you've sussed out their intentions.
- Don't go to Inara's highest sell location, go to number 2 or 3.
- Drop and wake if you see a wing of FDLs or similar in cruise, don't wait for them to interdict you.
- Don't fight interdictions - you'll almost always lose and have a long cooldown at the end of it. Sumbit, sink, boost in a circle and wake.

Re. "reloading in solo to respawn the mats" though... that poo poo's just common sense, Fdev already hosed the material collection process by putting the most valuable things in bullshit pointless risk-free POIs. The faster you knock that out the better, tbqh.

I hate calling it e-bushido, but yeah I view Elite as a fundamentally multiplayer game. Otherwise why wouldn't I just play X4?

But I chalk my death up to trying to "think for myself" instead of doing the established protocol. I definitely always fly with a heatsink--it has so much utility that leaving it out is gimping one of your utility slots IMO. The bandwidth monitor is interesting because the first thing I did after dying was go online and see if there's any way to track someone down and get revenge. It doesn't look like there is, even from a purely meta investigation sense of checking their profile on Inara or something else in game I haven't found yet to suss out where they are/will likely be. I can only chalk this up to :frontear: not having the vision to understand that while letting anyone track anyone is a recipe to encourage griefing, giving a victim or bounty hunter the tools to exact revenge on a griefer creates gameplay.

I initially started to fight the interdiction having been basically spammed by NPC pirates the whole trip, until I noticed the hostile contact was hollow, at which point I immediately cut engines.

For getting my big ugly fat gently caress of a Type-9 around, should I disable flight assist and try a BSG-style roll hard to six? I can't see the airplane-in-space model allowing something like that to get pointed at smaller, faster combat ships since my own experience in combat is that it's rather trivial to stay in someone's blind spot if you outclass them on maneuverability.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

toplitzin posted:

Do they still do/allow the collision gank for speeding @ the stations? aka, do't speed/go above 100.

I've been assuming it is a thing and if I notice a hollow contact as I'm approaching the mail slot I immediately cut engines to <100 and shift power to shields.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

moolchaba posted:

I took up Elite in late 2018 and my prior experience was playing Eve for several years, so I chose open play for the first couple months.

I never ran across another soul (as far as I'm aware). I was basically playing PVE (mining, trucking, etc.) and I wasn't going anywhere in the galaxy that was a PVP hotspot, so I was never going to cross paths with anyone.

So after about 3 months I had my first run-in with a ganker... I was dead in less than 5 seconds after being interdicted. I played for 3 months in open for that one single multi-player experience of getting ganked in 5 seconds.

gently caress that poo poo. I just play in solo mode now. In solo mode: you can put your name on planets you discover and others see that, the markets are affected across instances, you see all the fleet carriers, and you can chat with other people if you're in the same system across instances.

The multi-play aspect isn't worth it to me unless I'm looking to PVP, which I'm not.

I think this is where the slow erosion of the image of this game I built in my head over the years begins. Because like... there's no functional difference between solo and open play? Just that other players can't enter your "instance?"

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Thundarr posted:

Yeah that's pretty much it. Literally the only difference between solo and open is the ability to be in an instance with other player ships, and the only meaningful interaction this game allows between player ships is hostility. And the state of game balance inevitably makes hostilities either extremely one-sided stomps or slowly whittling each other down until one side runs.

You could potentially form or join a large private game community that agrees the interact in more interesting ways when you meet each other, but that's basically a fancy way of fdev handing out plastic badges and domino masks and telling the players to go play cops and robbers. The players are creating fun for themselves and that's great, but the framework of the game itself isn't doing very much of the work, if at all.

Now, if game balance was much tighter and had better options for avoiding interactions you don't want (for example, that engineered FDL can still trash your T9 if he catches you, but you might be able to hull tank until you can escape or space cops arrive, or you might be able to stealth through the system and he won't even see you), or if he actually got anything at all for blowing you up other than a half second dopamine rush, there might be a reason to let the game do it's thing rather than seeking fun in E:D in spite of E:D.

The more I think about it, the more I think the framework is actively working against them. As was said, there doesn't seem to be anything actively encouraging players to cooperate. Today another commander shared mission turnins with me to the tune of 100M, and while I was also needing to log off and do my real job, I also didn't really want him to come and wing mine with me when he offered because there isn't a real benefit to it from what I can see. In fact, having someone else mining rocks near you just increases the odds that one of you will leech from the other depending on who has the most efficient mining setup. That might be helpful if I was doing mining rush missions for my income, but I'm literally just chewing rocks and selling them to the highest bidder, which pays way more per ton.

This has gotta be the fastest a game's honeymoon period has expired on me in a long time.

kemikalkadet posted:

also yeah, the bandwidth monitor is one of your ships most useful instruments in open.

Learned today that this doesn't display in your VR HMD. Normally debug info like this gets projected in your peripheral vision, but nope. It shows on the window on my monitor, but that's functionally useless to a VR player. So, y'know, :frontear:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I did it. I unlocked the Guardian FSD Booster and engineered my FSD to almost full grade 5. My Krait II now almost gets 40LY unladen. I feel so free.

The first Guardian site I went to though... it was horrible. The terrain was too rough to land at the site, so I had to put down almost 10km away, and then once I actually got to the site, the textures and collision mesh didn't match up, so I was clipping into everything and running into invisible rocks.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Wibla posted:

Sound design, especially for VR is amazing.

VR is currently what is propping up the game for me. There's something I can't quite describe about landing on an alien planet in first person and rolling out onto the unforgiving dust of an entirely uninhabitable ball of overheated/supercooled rock and staring out across that desolate horizon as if you're actually in the SRV's driver seat.

While I was doing that guardian site, partially because the terrain was driving me nuts, I kept thinking that this is where I'd like to be able to go into legs mode.

Wibla posted:

Can't argue with that, really. The only thing I rushed to get in on was that discount on the pre-upgraded FSD, other than that, I only got the guardian FSD booster and into engineering a few months ago, and went on exploration binges in a 65 Ly conda after that.

Looking forward to seeing the new planets and the breathtaking views this game can generate from time to time.

This is why I went straight for Felicity Farseer and the Guardian FSD Booster last night and why it was the key bit of engineering I wanted to get unlocked and ready to go. I know that having a 10-15LY jump range was going to get tedious, especially if I want to take a "break" from any grinding to just go take a space vacation to the galactic core or whatever. Aside from the power distributor, it's the biggest QOL improvement I can think of.

Actually, there's one big thing I can give unironic praise to Fdev for: making the codex entries audiobooks that I can put into a playlist. I never played the original Elite, and I have no idea what the world of 3307 is. Conveniently, there's a lot of traveling to do and a very easy way to just add the entries on who the Empire or Guardians are to a track list, hit play, and listen to a vaguely British fellow explain all the lore to me as I do lazy laps around a fuel star. More games need to do this. (As a side note, the Alliance seem kinda out of place sandwiched between the dystopic Federation and Empire.)

edit: A gripe about that though is that I can't seem to figure out how to mute my ship's computer while I'm doing it. I don't need to know my fuel scoop is deployed, that I'm done scooping, or that my FSD is charging. Hell, I don't even need to know about the dangerous heat levels--I'm watching the gauges thanks, please stop interrupting space David Attenborough's explanations on how the Guardian's got shagged by a very rare Thargoid.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 5, 2021

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Freddles posted:

Ditto. Went Pleiades > California (I think, the big orange/black one West of Pleiades) > Sag A > Colonia, and then back to Sol, all in an unengineered AspX. Took a couple weeks, got about a billion in credits for it all and discovered a few binary Earth-likes even.

Would absolutely not do it again. Nearly had a heart attack when I fell asleep mid-jump about 1000ly from SagA, to be woken up by the heat alarms as I plunged into a star.

:allears: This is the kind of stuff I like to hear about.

I've dehumanized myself and faced the Braben and farmed grade 5 materials the cheap way. I still feel good rumbling around on the surface of planets though. The game is real pretty. For my trouble I finished engineering three overcharged multicannons and two long range superpenetrator rail guns.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kitfox88 posted:

More like hitting the rumble strip just in time to avoid anything worse than a banger off the guardrail :v:

I mean, I had the "texting and driving" incident the other night after putting up a trance DJ stream in my cockpit, and ping-ponging around in the mail slot after paying a bit too much attention to the light show.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

lol if you think you're gonna be able to collect ship materials in kneesmode

I can dream.

I'm gonna make a trip to the crystal spires sites today I think. It'll be my longest trip yet at 1,500 LY. I'm debating getting a Diamondback for the trip instead of taking my do-everything Krait. I've got a 40LY range on the Krait but I could probably do better with a stripped-down dedicated exploration ship.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Am I doing this right? I don't really need to see what is in front of me on a long haul flight do I?

I made it to my destination though.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Sneeze Party posted:

The actual FPS mechanics are okay. The problem in low CZs, so far, is that they're loving easy. With a little engineering they're going to be really loving easy. At least in daylight. At night, it's a whole nother story, at least for me. Couldn't tell what the gently caress was going on.

Sounds realistic!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Game's kinda pretty ok.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Bedshaped posted:

While I do find it neat when I see a hollow rectangle pop up every now and then, I have never really been won over by the background simulation being steered by an invisible playerbase rather than just happening according to some algorithm that the player experiences reactively. I would much rather a very basic co-op system without any of the BGS stuff.

I'm not familiar with the intricacies of networking but I do tend to associate the multiplayer background layer and p2p system as the biggest limiter in both game mechanics and tech. I feel like Powerplay is as bad as it is because it couldn't escape the limits imposed by the BGS. If you have thousands of players interacting with a single mechanic how can the action of each individual even matter. Capital ship fights being so stale is because the p2p system needs to keep open the option of another random player dropping in. So you can't have a battle with dozens of capital ships or mixes of carriers and fighters because networking wouldn't allow it while still keeping fluid ship dynamics between peers and the server. You can't have more interesting types of conflict (for example: travelling directly into a battle by carrier, NPC ships taking more focused or specific actions rather than an insect cloud of randomised configurations) for the same reason.

I don't think FDEV want to (or even can) make this kind of game I was describing. I've only played Elite 1 and Frontier and what we have definitely feels more like a spiritual successor to those than anything I was describing. But the flight model has completely spoiled me too. I find it hard to play other space games and couldn't get into House of the Rising Sun for exactly the reason that it just makes me want to play Elite with a far more enjoyable flight model and combat feel.

E: I'm definitely a Frontier apologist if it helps with extrapolating context from my posting

It's funny because House of the Rising Sun is on my wishlist after Everspace, which was very fun on a monitor but something about it just didn't click in VR.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Because it doesn't seem like you even like the game, and it begs the question why are you in here posting.

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Opioid you happened to catch the thread at a particularly bad time. The Odyssey update's alpha seems to confirm everyone's worst fears about wasted potential. Usually the thread is much more positive.

Slush Garbo offering people bus rides in his carrier, Tommy giving extremely detailed loadout advice, people posting screenshots of some weird or interesting thing they found, everyone gently breaking it to new players how much engineering sucks, and probably some other stuff I can't remember.

Might just be this though. I'm still enjoying my first brush with the game, even if my expectations have been moderated accordingly. It's still fun to put my headset on and pretend to fly a spaceship. I enjoy switching on my mining lasers and listening to it hum away while a cloud of limpets collects rocks. I watch Twitch streams while I do stuff, putting a little screen overlay in my cockpit like another panel. Gathering resources is tedious, but it's atmospherically satisfying to land on a planet and roll out in an SRV. I think I like landing on planets more than flying into mailslots. It's more inconvenient, but also super atmospheric immersive.

Where I'll probably interact with legs mode will be just hopping out of an SRV/ship to walk around. I couldn't give a flying gently caress about ground pounding my way through some installation. The installations look pretty from the outside, but experience with other games tells me that game designers do not know how to make an experience that translates outside to inside well. But you know hopping out to walk up to the edge of a crater and just stare out will basically be Kerbal Space Program but prettier.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Thundarr posted:

Yeah I think that's a good point. In the fever dream situation where a playable game with space combat characteristics like E:D was released but that game also had even a quarter of the stuff Star Citizen claims it will have, E:D would be a ghost town very quickly. That isn't the reality we currently live in though, which is why people are playing E:D.

Being the only game in town may not be a great selling point but it is an effective one.

See also The Sims.

thespaceinvader posted:

Malicious Compliance is a 10/10 ship name.

I was lamenting last night that people are massively uncreative in naming their fleet carriers after like the tenth instance of the Event Horizon, Forward Unto Dawn, and Exodus Black showed up on my contacts. This is a good one though.

Tommy the Newt posted:

How about get specific about the stuff you like in the same way people get specific about what they dislike: post a cool screenshot, share a fun story, praise a mechanic you enjoy (or just go play the game at that point).

I mean... I thought my post (and post history in this thread) was pretty clear that I am here for the atmosphere. Like, I detest how the most efficient way to gather engineering materials is picking one of a handful of sites, then relogging until you fill your cargo hold and use the materials traders to balance everything out. I hate that Open Mode pretty much enables only one kind of player interaction (random ganking) and actively works against any other type of interaction (cooperation, bounty hunting, etc). But I haven't played anything else that really gives me the flying a spaceship vibes from the moment I leave a station all the way down to a planet. I love landing on planets, picking an angle to come in that'll let me glide right to the settlement, swinging around to find the landing pad, and then admiring the view from the pad once I've touched down. As much as I dislike the farm > relog loop of collecting Data and Manufactured materials, Raw materials gave me some great vistas. Some of the crystal spires I visited were at the bottom of a deep, dark canyon, and I spent a good bit of time slowly flying along the bottom with my headlamps on for the sake of it.

I dropped into my first white dwarf system the other day. I didn't stick around long since I was in a hurry, but it gave me a bit of a start. I'm looking forward to paying a visit to some more exotic space objects as time goes on. Right now I'm working on unlocking engineers, and unlocking Lei Chung is at least novel enough. I hadn't gone to 50 different markets yet, so I decided to use EDDB to plan a series of single-jump hops and basically high velocity trade in my Type 9. Each jump I sell the entire hold and buy a new commodity to trade at the next jump. The problem is that the pricing info on EDDB can be extremely out of date for a lot of systems because Fdev funnels everyone into a handful of places.

Oh and my Krait has a coffee maker.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Cease to Hope posted:

There is a point where bittervetting becomes self-sustaining, and innocuous stuff turns into exaggerated memes that are less about the actual causes of why a game is disappointing and more about expressing that disappointment. For example, the dumb larping in the demo video for the new expansion was to cover the fact that the UI isn't actually done well enough to tell you what's going on and why it matters, and they sent three people on what is obviously a solo mission because they don't have a free camera set up and didn't have (or didn't trust) the transition from legs to ship. They're the sorts of shortcuts competent designers take too.

The problem as I see it is that space legs still feels pointless, especially when they emphasized that it's going to be a shooter. Elite is fun for tooling around a galaxy that feels full-size, and even when it's dumb and bad that part still feels special. But they're not going to be able to tap into that with tiny, prefab environments on planet surfaces, and they definitely aren't making a shooter worth playing in its own right. I don't think their "if we build it, players will play in it" philosophy for everything else in the game is gonna work here. There are plenty of more-interesting shooters out there. Even as a bad shooter with extrinsic rewards for space game Elite Dangerous in the form of credits or crafting mats for whatever, this just seems like something people are going to grit their teeth and do as little as possible, like SRVs.

I think "shooter first" is a bad philosophy for a space sandbox game. I've spent probably 10% of my time in combat so far. Most of what I do is travel, trade, mine, and explore. I plan to do combat, sure, but all of these other things lead to that (through engineering). How much of the exploration community is just going to bounce right off a shooter-focused legs portion, when they could have been designing puzzles and "experiments" to perform on foot?