Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Man, no luck yesterday. About 20 failed connection attempts, then I had to go to bed for work. And now I have to wait 11 hours until I'm back before I can try again. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Drake_263 posted:

I haven't tried the Krait Phantom myself but from what I've pieced together it's a faster jumpier diet Krait minus the SLF capability and a C3 mount - so essentially, it should fit pretty neatly in progression between the AspX and Python, with nice long-range travel potential.

For explorers, I would say the Krait Phantom is the long missing link between AspX and Anaconda. There's really no reason to use a Python if all you want to do is explore.

Mind you, this shouldn't stop you if you really like a certain ship. I spend multiple years in the black flying around in a Cutter, for example. :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Shine posted:

The math is correct, but it's based on some assumptions about how Elite determines a jump failure. So either you've been unusually fortunate with your rolls, or (more likely) the game doesn't determine a jump's success by rolling a single 1-100 number against the FSD's health when you jump.

Even if it was right, there is no law in-game to force you to jump right out of the Neutron cone, so if you just fly a bit outside and then jump, you would be 100% safe even if the jump fails.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

My planetary descents are still lousy but I understand the phases now. I need to get way closer before going into that first orbital supercruise phase.

I'm feeling you still don't understand everything about planetary landings if you say this, as you go automatically into orbital supercruise. Like the final drop into glide, orbital cruise depends on your height.

In fact, for an easy and stress-free planetary descent, you have to do the opposite of getting closer to your target: Point not straight at your target, but move below it. Generally, more the closer you get. When you drop into orbital cruise or just before, re-orient towards the ground base. This gives you a nice, flat trajectory allowing you to smoothly get closer without losing height too fast.

After this, the glide likewise will go a lot smoother. This should drop you at some point between 5-10km from the ground base, or whatever feature you wanted to visit.

Also reminders for high-gravity planets:

-Keep your speed in the middle of your blue range, go 1-2 ticks deeper as you get closer to the surface.
-If your speed doesn't go down fast enough on final approach, put your ship vertical to the ground and boost at highest speed.
-If that fails, too and it looks like you will crash, don't panic, put all your pips into system and let your shield take the hit.
-Try to go for a sensible choice of shield generator, instead of taking the smallest one your ship can carry. Engineer it to lose mass instead (Low-Power, will give you some extra-strength in HP and lower your energy draw in addition to lowering the mass a bit)
-D-class thrusters are OK, but high-gravity landings with smaller sizes then the highest possible is just inviting disaster. Also think about engineering some clean drives, as this gives you some leeway with heat, plus makes them generally better. (Just not as much as dirty drives.)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Helianthus Annuus posted:

oops, citing my source: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/375648-FSD-Malfunction-Neutron-Jumping-Question/

and the reason im inclined to trust that guy is because of this effortpost on the 2nd page, which shows him to be way into this game's mechanics. can i just say that this forum poster seems cool and i want to be his friend, but he has a furry av, and im more scared of that than i am of neutron stars now

He didn't jump enough, or the behavior of heavier ships is different, then: During the ca. two years I spend in the black with my Imperial Cutter, I had at least two massive FSD-malfunctions dropping me out of supercruise and sending my ship spinning.

My FSD was never below 90%.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Helianthus Annuus posted:

lmk if it happens to you again, and i'll do the same if it happens to me.

Sure, but while my engineering-plan is steadily progressing, it'll take me probably until January-February at the earliest before I'll set out for the Void again. And this time it'll be in a Krait Phantom, because my big dumb white whale stays at home. After two years I'm kind of fed up with dragging a Cutter everywhere.

No idea too if I still remember this if it happens 1 year from now on the other side of the galaxy. :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

tooterfish posted:

To get a meeting with Elvira you need to travel 300LY from origin.

To get a meta-alloy to unlock Farseer you need to travel to Maia and buy one. Maia is about 300LY from origin.

They're the loving same!

Not really, moving around and moving around plus buying something in one specific place isn't the same. Elvira sends you an invite just for moving around, doing unrelated stuff. If you just play the game a bit as an explorer, chances are you've already done 300 ly of random traveling from your starting point long before you start contemplating engineering.

And Elvira gives you lvl. 3 shields, which Felicity completely lacks, and at least lvl. 2 thrusters, so it's not like you'll be missing much by going this route. Besides, to unlock Palin's lvl. 5 thrusters, you would have to go through Elvira anyway, so using Felicity overall is mostly a waste of time.

You can't even argue "but what about sensors and detailed surface scanners" because Hera Tani and Lei Cheung can be unlocked pretty drat fast and have better versions for that stuff

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

If I understand Engineers correctly you need to do all the "engineering" at the station where they live, although you can choose a single item that you can build remotely from each engineer. So once I get there I need to stay local to get whatever materials are needed for the multiple levels of each module except for one item I can do back "home"?

Or are you supposed to make multiple trips to each engineer and slowly go through upgrades, or to get more upgraded modules as you buy different ships? I'm still on a lowbie ship so I'm wondering if I'll have to make the trek to each engineer every time I buy a new ship, or a ships with a different role.

In addition to what Helianthus Annuus said, instead of trying to find all the specific poo poo you need, it helps to just collect whatever you find (high-value mats are the best for this) and then trade in what you actually want at a mat trader. Remover a lot of headache from the process, especially if you go through the later levels and needed mats get rarer and rarer.

tooterfish posted:

I'm not arguing anything, just pointing out their unlock requirements aren't all that different.

If Martuuk's is just total distance travelled instead of straight line distance that is easier. I didn't have to really do anything to unlock either of them, so my mistake.

To be fair, it is straight line distance, it's just that 300 ly are so tiny, just by moving to the end of the bubble you fulfill this requirement. If you're an explorer, basically every spot you'd want to explore just outside the bubble would also be enough.

Though I have no experience with this, thanks to a bug Frontier never fixed, my "distance from start" has been set to approx. 69k light years from the very first day this data was collected and displayed to the player. When engineers arrived, I simply auto-fulfilled all distance-based requirements and never actually had to do them myself. And on my second, PS4 account? Exactly the thing I'm talking about happened: Pretty early on I got the 300 ly requirement done basically without thinking about it.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

You'd think that, but you start with 1000 Credits and the ability to jump around 7ly. I picked up a mission, left the station, realized I couldn't complete it and abandoned it. Now I've got 2 units of cargo taking all my capacity and a 4k fine.

I land at the next closest station to pick a new mission and find one to deliver the same commodity, plus I can make the jump. Great, I think I'll deliver the original cargo and then come back. Get to the destination station and it turns out they want their version of the item.

At this point I can sort all this out, or just start fresh, saving time. 15 minutes later I'm in the next game with 100k credit because I paid attention on the first mission I picked.

In an alternative universe, you threw that cargo out in space and went on a pirating spree, racking up huge bounties with wild abandon. :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

tooterfish posted:

There's 400 billion stars, 100 billion systems.

Solar systems with a single star are apparently a bit of a rarity. Even Sol was very nearly a binary system, but Jupiter didn't quite make the cut.

It's a bit more complicated. The galaxy has several hundred billion solar masses, but most of our stars are red dwarfs, which are only the fraction of our sun's mass. So "400 billion stars, 400 billion systems" could be pretty much it, as far as we know. It depends on how the ratio of multi-star systems to star mass plays out. It could also wildly veer into the opposite direction if there aren't enough multi-star systems.

If for example, four red dwarfs form a weird quadruple-system, but each have about 1/5 of the sun's mass, you get a single system with four stars but only 4/5th of our sun's mass. And for comparison's sake, red dwarfs vary between something like 7,5% and 50% of one solar mass.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Strategic Tea posted:

I recall that early on, I guess before the full lensing effects were completed, black holes were huge pure black spheres with a small lensing effect around them.

It was pretty drat intimidating, especially because I am a giant nerd who finds black holes creepy as hell.

I dunno which is a more realistic depiction though (accretion discs aside). Would the majority of black holes really bend light so hard that they are invisible?

A black hole bends space so hard light can't escape, so yes, barring accretion discs you'd have to assume that they are all invisible

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

iospace posted:

Felicity Farseer is probably the "best" to start out with, as she unlocks Palin eventually.

The problem is you have to unlock Qwent first.

Elvira. Felicity has nothing to do with Palin and Qwent. The Farseer unlocks Ishmaak, Dekker and The Sarge.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

iospace posted:

:doh:

Felicity offers a lot of useful services for an explorer though!

True, and Ishmaak adds on to that, so it's basically taste if you go through Elvira and a bunch of other engineers or Felicity - Ishmaak first. (The second route looks shorter, but Ishmaak demands combat bonds, while most of the engineers you'll encounter when going for Elvira don't need any combat. If you're an explorer, this could make Felicity the inferior choice when starting out.)

Back when engineers were introduced, I was simply too lazy to unlock Felicity, since a weird display bug I've been carrying around since exploration data was first made visible to the player has my "distance from start"-stat set to ~69k ly. This means every engineer with requirements based on that stat just auto-unlocked immediately.

By now this dumb bug has survived multiple bug reports, patches and expansions. I've given up complaining since then, as it makes me look like an awesome explorer. :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

juggalo baby coffin posted:

does anyone know why the trade-in value of my Krait is only 11 mil? i think the guns on it alone are worth more than that

Are you trying to buy a new ship? The cost of the new one is substracted from the sell value of the old one.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

I've gone through a few dozen systems out in the black, and never encountered any la Grange point stuff or signal sources. Am I just not looking in the right places to find it? Do I need to go out of my way to that kind of thing specifically? Or am I just unlucky / in the wrong part of the Galaxy / both?

In the bubble, but the new system just spits dozens of signal sources into your face. I think you'd need to be like 9k+ light years out before signal sources don't show up anymore.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

iospace posted:

Eh more like 500 LY (probably more, but I digress). They vanish real quick, usually start going down to degraded emission sources only, and then gone entirely. I haven't seen any in a couple days now.

Nope. I'm speaking from experience here, as the farthest out I found a signal source was 12k light years. But that never repeated and was maybe a fluke. Anyway, I got several at 9k and 7-6k ly from the bubble, so that's confirmed.

Not that I could do anything with them, mind you, as I wasn't keen on collecting cargo to slow me down. (Those far out signal sources include stuff like escape pods (closer to the bubble) and survey data caches (farther out).)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Cowcaster posted:

felicity farseer (in deciat) is basically the only engineer i have because she does FSDs the best, you’ve made a good choice

i'm the opposite, I've made my way across most of all of the non-colonia engineers and felicity will be forever the one I won't use

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Ugh, my engineering has hit a dead end: After unlocking Hera Tani, I encountered this interesting bug:

Hera Tani doesn't want to engineer my DSS

I pinned the blue print and made a bug report, but of course there won't be anything done over the holidays, so I guess I'm hosed and can go do something different now. :shepface:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

iospace posted:

Buckle up kids, it's time for ANOTHER HISTORY LESSON WITH IOSPACE!

There's a lot of real world stars in the game, but today is going to be one that's not accessible without FSD boosts: PSR J1300+1240, aka Lich. Yes, this is part of the FIRST MASSIVE REMNANT series, but not one I'll be visiting myself, unfortunately. I tried but only got within a couple hundred LY before failing to plot a route.

Hey, thanks! This seems ideal to test my Phantom after I'm finished engineering and getting the FSD booster and everything.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dwesa posted:

They're finally doing some QoL changes and... it's bad? I wonder what these people want.

Steam-reviews are mostly useless. This one is only a small part of the huge tower of evidence for this fact.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
gently caress! I forgot abrasion blasters were a thing. Today I fired like 50 subsurface missiles uselessly into surface depots because I didn't get that they weren't subsurface depots! All those missiles, bounced off into deep space, never to return. :suicide:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Yeah it was just showing me the final destination and making lol sounds when I hit jump, I'm gonna try this fix when I get home (also the fastest route thing), god bless

Have you tried just using the shortcut to re-target the next destination in line? I remember back when I noticed there was a binding to immediately go back to your next route target, regardless of what you have targeted at the time. Sweet memories. :v:

Replotting if you hosed up doing your route is an option too, of course.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
After spending most of yesterday mining in my Federal Dropship, subsurface depots stopped being a terror for me, since I finally learned how to correctly use subsurface-missiles. Now I don't have to be disappointed anymore if after prospecting it turns out the asteroid has no fissures! :v:

Anyway, great guide!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

THERES A SHORTCUT FOR THIS?????

This game is full of surprises!

Case in point, even I can get surprised sometimes: This harmless little thing started calling for help while I was making screenshots. It started calling for help because an entire NPC squadron of evil bad guys was dropping in.

Since my Phantom is engineered for exploration (it has so many light weight mods you could probably make it explode by sneezing too hard), I bailed out immediately. But oops, turns out the bad guys immediately go after the player, not the ships they are "attacking". Seconds later, I blew up hard. Only 3,5 million rebuy, but still a dumb setback. :shrug:

Ironically, it still was fun, even though I'm kicking myself right now.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Im doing some mining and for whatever reason my collection limpets are only lasting 10s now? They grab one thing then expire. I still have room in the refinery and cargo space and now I'm out of limpets and gotta go back. They were working fine the first astroid I cracked but now they grab one thing then expire

They're probably hitting something when leaving your ship if they expire after getting one thing back. Or you accidentally had stuff targeted when you deployed them. Then they'll just go collect that one thing and expire immediately.

Try to stay a healthy distance away from everything around you. Yesterday I lost four limpets in a row because I didn't realize I drifted too close to an asteroid beneath me.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Should I be dropping shield generators with mining ships? I want to buy the asp explorer (I have 13 million right now) but to fit all the mining stuff in, it looks like I will need to get rid of the shield generator. Same with the keelback

Yes of course. Especially when cracking asteroids. In fact, make sure to never go farther than 200m away from the asteroid you want to crack.

(Sarcasm off) Sure, if you don't want to crack asteroids. You will be making a fraction of the money and will have to pay a premium in hull repairs from the occasional scuffle, but you won't need shields if you don't play around with high explosives.

I don't recommend it, though.

Edit:

I went to Coriolis and you can easily fit everything you need on a Asp and still have one space free to add whatever (tiny scoop, fuel tank, more cargo, another controller, etc.)

If that link works:

https://coriolis.io/outfit/asp?code...QJCmKA%3D%3D%3D

It's kind of shoddy, since I just threw the optional internals together in about less then a minute, but it should point you the right way.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

This is, ultimately, what makes the DBX the King of Endurance Exploration, in my opinion. It's ability to land anywhere easily outmatches the Anaconda. It's possible to land your DBX without the clearance to launch your SRV, and if you've ever tried landing an Anaconda at a Guardian site, you can see why it can become frustrating.

In the end, though, even I have to admit this is of limited utility when you can just blow your SRV up and get back to the ship. :shrug:

It's really a question of whether you'd like to do more planetary exploration or have the chance of maaaaaaaaaybe getting somewhere no one else has gotten to with the extra 4-5ly...

The one thing the Imperial Cutter was awesome at was using your SRV, as the entry point on the hull is astonishingly high up. You're basically getting air dropped if you leave with your SRV. Also, as sometimes logging in on a planetary surface can make your ship slowly sink through the ground, having a high clearance like that comes in extra handy!

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Clean Drives only affect heat in normal space, not supercruise.

Never not Dirty Drives unless you are doing some kind of gimmicky stealth build.

People keep saying that as if it is important. People get killed by heat the most after they drop from supercruise. I swear the super-cool drives on my Cutter saved my rear end more than once on my last trip.

Edit:

Also, you seem to be wrong anyway. I've found sources saying that thrusters always generate heat, which clean drives make lower. Which would correspond to my own observations when using clean drives and low-power shield generators: My ships are definitely running cooler than they should, even in supercruise.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Saul Kain posted:

Anyone tried out the Krait Phantom? Is it out yet? I was wondering if it is any more maneuverable than the regular Krait. I like the regular Krait and it is a great anti-xeno ship. Fighter really nice to scoot around on planets in VR.

The Phantom is the best! I haven't noticed a difference in terms of maneuverability, but it has a good jump range and can carry all the stuff an explorer would need, a clear upgrade over the Asp. You'd lose the fighter, though.

Edit:

I just wish it had more paint jobs. Other ships have some really cool looking ones, but the Phantom has only like, 2-3 basic sets.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

chaosapiant posted:

Were you carrying anything? When I fly with an empty hold this never happens to me. Plus the innerdicking game is easy enough that I never wanna fight. Phantoms just wanna have fun.

If it was near Maia, yeah that was Thargoids.

In the bubble, the game sometimes spawns sociopathic maniacs. NPCs with that personality will attack the player even if your hold is empty.

The funniest thing ever happening to me was a couple of military Anacondas interdicting me and then going "Oh, you're on our side? Peace out, brother." :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dongattack posted:

I'm getting a lot of "mission critical" or whatever messages popping up to deliver poo poo to Vamm (where i have been based out of for literal years), what's that all about? I'm not actually on any missions and i don't have passengers, i'm in full mining mode now.

Sometimes weirdos just suddenly decide to send you messages asking you to do poo poo. Most of those extra missions have really lovely payouts, so I generally read them just for the enjoyment of actively denying them.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The Baldur's Gate System. It's what the devs call the artificial AI system controlling NPC-behavior.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

John F Bennett posted:

Battlegar Stalactica

Basestation Gabylon Sive

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mendrian posted:

I was literally thinking the same loving joke, right down to this specific misspelling.

And I only got the joke right after I read your post. gently caress

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

GHOST_BUTT posted:

What determines exactly what populates a USS re: its supposed threat level? I picked up a massacre mission earlier, went to find a mission USS and found one at allegedly threat level three and dropped in to find an Elite Anaconda and four Dangerous Viper IVs. All of which was no match for my engineered Mamba, mind, but it seemed a little much for threat level 3. It was a wing mission, does that make a difference?

Isn't threat level 4 the highest possible? Sounds about right for a level 3

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

GHOST_BUTT posted:

Nah threat level goes from 1, which is like a Harmless stock Sidewinder, to 11 I wanna say, which is the newish Thargoid interceptor variants, the extremely killy ones. So 3 is on the low end, for sure.

Woah! I should look more at those things, 4 is the highest I ever saw so far.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The Distant Worlds expeditions always look really tempting to me, too bad the second one is going into the wrong direction (and the first one was, I think, back when I was on my way to Colonia/the Core myself?).

But! At least now I feel motivated to speed up my engineering so I can start with my own little expedition sooner!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kraftwerk posted:

So I have a confession. I've played all manner of horror games but when I warp in on a neutron star/pulsar/white dwarf I find looking at them extremely unnerving and anxiety inducing. I don't know why, but it just seems wrong to me and I try to turn away and look the other direction as soon as I can.

Black holes also creep me right out so I'm not sure I want to go see one.

Interesting fact: I often have trouble looking away from them, as they are awesome and I tend to get really excited when I drop near one. Then, maybe that's related to me not finding horror games and movies scary? :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Annath posted:

NPCs as far as I know. I was in solo :v:

Do you have a bounty on you? I remember Frontier talking about implementing special hunting squadrons for player who manage to piss off even the superpowers with their antics.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Cowcaster posted:

in unrelated questions, should this old technique from 2017 for unlocking the dweller still work:

i need to go through him in order to unlock the guy who does shields and shield accessories and it sounds oppressively time consuming to try and do it the legit way.

Depends, like with many engineers I was lucky enough to have played the game for long enough he was just auto-unlocked the moment he was added to the game.

(And yes, I realize "travel back in time and play the game more, sucker" isn't really helpful advice. :v: )

Selene is still kicking my rear end, though. I'm up to nearly 250 tons and I sadly don't like mining enough to force myself to do any more for the foreseeable future. This means, like my Explo-Cutter, my Phantom will probably have to get by with a lvl. 1 armor mod.

pik_d posted:

Distant Worlds 2 is starting in a few days, that's probably more where the name is from than anything. Also the Explorer name plate pack is NOT on sale. Nor are any Krait Phantom paint packs.

We're talking about the people who took about 4 full years before they remembered exploration even exists, so this does not surprise me at all. Sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

iospace posted:

Never fly what you can't afford to lose :v:

That's why my pilots never fly (I found some nice ladies with dumb, but sweet backgrounds like "I pilot because I have a family to support", I took pity on them but now don't want to lose them)

They're getting paid to sit and drink in space bars. :v: