Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Wat so your parked ship will still cover your SRV with its point defence? :aaaaa:

Brb gonna re enact that star wars opening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

It also depends where you are. I have fallen out at the exclusion time plenty of times and lived. But if you drop out inside the middle of the jet cone, oh boy. It's hard enough just working out which direction 'away' is.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I recall that early on, I guess before the full lensing effects were completed, black holes were huge pure black spheres with a small lensing effect around them.

It was pretty drat intimidating, especially because I am a giant nerd who finds black holes creepy as hell.

I dunno which is a more realistic depiction though (accretion discs aside). Would the majority of black holes really bend light so hard that they are invisible?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I love the eagle but I just can't get over the fact that small hardpoints do absolutely loving nothing. At least in combat zones - I would be pursuing a vulture with its engined destroyed, landing every single shot, and it would take half my ammo supply to bring him from 50% hull to 0%.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Aye aye, raise the top'sails cap'n! Swab the poop deck! Sound three bells! Four degrees to port, ensign! :haw:

If you got a kick out of that, you should check out the videos of people loving with pilots in Plane Simulator...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el7uxV9rgx0

That's gold. "uuuh yeah can we get Jeff outside with some spray paint we need a big fuckin 2 on the runway"

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Kraftwerk posted:

Fun fact. The frameshift drive is actually based on reverse engineered thargoid technology. Nobody actually understands or knows what goes on in hyperspace. Pilots sometimes call it “witch space” and there’s a chance it may be a “nicer” version of the warp from warhammer 40k.

The original FTL travel humans had in elite was the part of the frameshift drive that lets you supercruise. They used to have their own version of a hyperdrive but the tech was lost.

I'm not hugely convinced by the ED lore, but I do like the very occasional snippets suggesting humans are emerging from a dark age. Fast FSDs are new or rediscovered tech, many of the stations are hundreds of years old, no one actually remembers what happened when the thargoids first attacked, etc.

Also thar goid = far god :tinfoil:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Pilchenstein posted:

It predates the existence of 40k by three years, so technically the warp is an impolite version of witch space.
:goonsay:

Elite is the golden age of mankind, before the warp was violent and impassable.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Who is to say that the thargoids aren't a dark forest level threat, once they deign to properly notice us?

FDEV, because they have a game to sell

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Kraftwerk posted:

5. From a lore perspective what’s the difference between the superpowers. And how do powers/factions interact with them?

The Federation is based on Mars (and Earth) and is indeed space USA - but more corporate. The nations of Earth had a global hellwar and bombed each other into irrelevance, and megacorporations footed the reconstruction bill. The average citizen is more loyal to their corporation than their elected politicians. I imagine lots of neon-y rain, corruption and grizzled detectives.

The Empire are sparkly space Romans. They are obsessed with honour to the point of selling themselves into debt slavery rather than defaulting on a loan. This is legal and 'absolutely' 'never' abused, and furthermore they have the sexiest ships and coolest air traffic controllers.

Not too sure about the Alliance. I think they are the EU but with even more infighting.

Anyway factions in a system are either loyal to one of the big three superpowers or are independent. The faction that owns a station will determine which superpower it is allied with (or make it independent). This influences what goods are legal to trade there. Stations (and entire systems I think?) can change hands in wars or elections between factions, and players can contribute to these by running missions etc.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

So, uh, what is even the point in these carriers? Mobile, player owned station, right!

But - the galaxy is already overfull with identical stations with everything you could ever need. And every system is so interchangeable, with near zero unique reasons to visit, why bother putting a your megaship there?

The RNG sea only has meaning if it has islands of actual, custom places worth caring about!

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I think upkeep would be OK if this wasn't the only feature coming.

It avoids the game getting to a point where everyone has a pet carrier and there are as many as there are spaceships. Perhaps groups could work together to maintain them, but space wouldn't become an endless junkyard of unused carriers.

But since it is the main feature, upkeep plus the absurd price tag means 90% of us needn't bother logging in :(

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Tommy the Newt posted:

I view open encounters in elite a lot like the multiplayer in dark souls, most of the time it's just useless text on the floor, sometimes someone will try to kill you, sometimes you can get help... and if at any point you aren't in the mood you just opt out. Nothing wrong with opting out, but the insistence that there's no conceivable value in interaction is kinda weird to me.

Totally agree, though I still don't see how I could ever actually beat a PVP ship without months of solid grind and even then the fight would last an hour.

I just like occasionally seeing other players going about their business. I have owned the game since beta and have been interdicted by players like twice

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The courier is beautiful, anything larger is kinda too blobby for me

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Sounds like there will be an exploration/salvage system as well, so I'm guessing some sort of combination of mining and environmental hazards?

I love spacelegs and having a space bar social area to watch the spaceships come and go is excellent shame the galaxy is nothing but identikit RNG systems with a ratio of 10 space stations to a player, so you'll never meet anyone else or feel any sense of place

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

tjones posted:

This is not an unpopular opinion to have and ruined open play before PGs were introduced, IMO. People still clog in open regularly without shame and with no penalty. If you feel different, you should play in a PG as FDev added them for the carebears for that reason.

Why should I give a free kill to some dude who interdicts my Eagle in his billion credit hyper engineered autism chariot?

If PVP was anything other than 'biggest bank account wins', if small ships or slippery haulers had any purpose at all, I might try and escape. Until then, I'll be pulling the plug.

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 22, 2021

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

TBF that is extremely Eve Online (wasn't there a famous Russian corp that lured newbies to lawless space and put them to work, promptly got scoured from the galaxy by either goons or reddit when they found out?)

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

tjones posted:

Let us dock SLFs on pads so we can hand in/take missions without having to go get a small ship for any orbital platforms.

I always think this would be so cool.

And, new fighter - cargo barge! It would allow you to trade at small pads (maybe buy fuel and ammo too somehow)?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Imaginary Friend posted:

They should've tighten up content and story in the inner systems instead of going full No man's sky and thinning out new content across everything.

This is absolutely what brings the game down for me. God knows how many years on and I couldn't even tell you which systems are the hubs of player activity and which are RNG trash. Engineer systems I guess? Lave though I never see anyone there?

Where is our Jita 4-4?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I remember Horizons ran like absolute rear end in the beta and possibly a little post launch, so hopefully it's the same here.

I guess at least the game seems like 'optimisation' by the devs actually does have a massive impact.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Warmachine posted:

I unironically want strafing runs and CAS bombing. That would make the inclusion of leg mode worth it for me, a pilot who would love to paste mans from 5km above them.

I think CAS is in if you can have a mate take down their anti air? Dunno how effective it will be though!

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Did a quick combat zone today, dunno about balance but the gun felt surprisingly punchy and good. Laser carbine I think?

Iced a fellow commando who was camping with a grenade launcher, my work here is done :smug:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Beta is fine; gunfites are fun, space is pretty, sneaking is sometimes cool but gets tedious, there's no documentation at all of how the gameplay actually works as per usual, oh and performance is totally unoptimised so far.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

If you like pootling around as a plucky pilot making a shady space living , it's great. If you care about coherent progression or co op, it is pretty poor.

Whatever you do, don't do any of the insane relog grinding or mission stacking this thread will recommend unless you specifically want cash for a specific goal. Playing to make number go up in Elite is incredibly dull.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Excuse me sir the space rent is due at *checks notes* 1,000,000,000 credits/week

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

They desperately need to consolidate limpet controllers. Why would I ever fit recon limpets, which I believe are exclusively for hacking megastructures?

But if I could just do it with a standard multitool controller, sure I would take the odd hack space station mission.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Hmm I think I always just blamed gravity for the SRV. Never really tested how spinny it is on high g worlds.

They're clearly capable of turning out ships so I don't know why we can't get some variety. Perhaps a heavy cargo SRV with a big hold and like a tractor beam, a fast skimmer for exploring rough terrain, the current SRV for, uh, jump jets? Better guns?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The Hauler is underloved; it has those cool rear end ceramic tiles on the sides like the Space Shuttle.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

lol it's not gonna flop for want of VR support because 99% of people, even space dads, don't have £3,000 to casually drop on a VR SIM RIG that makes their office look like a goon cave.

I predict reviews will be mediocre and disappointed, but sales figures will be great anyway.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Nah you can just book a very long distance inter system shuttle and go make several coffees.

Masterful troll, Frontier :allears:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The new UI is so loving bad. Lag, misaligned decals, maps failing to close/open, and god help you if you try to use the on foot consoles in stations.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Well at least performance seems waaaay better on Day 2!

Am I misunderstanding the sabotage missions though? It feels like no matter how stealthy you are, the moment you upload the virus/disable the widget, an alarm goes off and you have to have a firefight with the entire base...

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Libluini posted:

You know, this is kind of weird. Imagine you're roleplaying an Imperial soldier, who wants to help defend the local system against Fed intrusion. This system basically means that soldier will kill tons of random pirates, but never actually see one of their enemies. Just some randoms dropping dead while some invisible influence ticker goes up on whoever's side the mission was for. It's like instead of war, we have some strange pirate killing competition

TBF this is very much coldwar.txt

Such attention to lore detail!

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I have read the interview twice and honestly I don't think I understand the big words.

For me it comes down to - if I start recognising repeating landscaps across different uncharted worlds, I think that will kill exploration for me stone dead.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

marktheando posted:

It's more unstable and the commodity view on the galaxy map is now cluttered with Odyssey locations you can't access, but otherwise good.

Odyssey for me still runs like absolute rear end and I can't put up with the infuriating FPS drop near planets, or entering a station, even if I stay in my ship :smith:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I presume its pronounced HERO FERRARI

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Also who are these jokers expecting me to provide my own power regulator to turn on their generators? Your parts, my labour jackass. I'm just the pilot.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I have always found something really intensely unsettling about black holes in particular, if I'm in a game where I can fly around them.

Dunno why, it's a monkey brain fear so I'm sure it isn't because "hmm yes thanks to FACTS AND LOGIC I know physics doesn't work here"

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

Heatsinks block scans, assuming your ship doesn't run absurdly hot by default.

*slowly turns overclock dials for power core, drives, guns, coffee maker*

:frogbon:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Live feed from Skvortsov customs tower:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I guess my question is - do Fdev expact the game to only be playable for sim dads with £1k to drop on new GPUs at current prices? Because my system is not bad, and Odyssey still runs like poo poo.

There is nothing in Elite good looking enough to merit the performance cost. I can run freakin Cyberpunk at a better framerate than Elite.