Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle
Elite: Dangerous. No, The Sand Is For Looking At!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

If anyone is interested here's a pretty wordy shipbuilding guide I wrote for the discord. Sharing it here as well for the wider goon world, as I don't think everyone's frogged up.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ImHTbJAU9j2E7lChwuOG5NDRQvKOc6Bicw6yVK58ADk/edit?usp=sharing

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Arcturas posted:

You don't really need to A-rate an asteroid-cracker, do you? Except for thrusters? Either way one cargo load of void opals or LTDs or whatever should get you enough to finish A-rating it.

EDIT: It's been a long while since I've fit out a mining Python, but something like this maybe?

They removed the multiple abrasion blaster bug, so there's no need to have more than one now.

(I just updated the ship guide I posted earlier with a couple of mining builds, which I had forgotten about. Yours looks perfectly fine though, apart from the excessive abrasion)

Tommy the Newt fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 13, 2019

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Helianthus Annuus posted:

nice

one thing i wanna point out is that the Asp Scout does have one thing going for it: outstanding supercruise agility. source: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cWCUSxvliZ3ly-RRulUeYqZ3hqOyCSRLze0KS1QBiBY/edit#gid=0

Good spreadsheet. 4 seconds of pitch over the DBX, huh? But at what cost.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Libluini posted:

By the way, what happens to AI pilots you aren't using? I have two I hired because I liked their dumb backstories, but my current ship can't even use fighters, so they're just sitting around in station bars and drink on my health.

What if I blow up with my fighter-less ship, will the two unused fighter pilots just suddenly get up and leave my employment for unrelated reasons, or will they just shrug and continue drinking?

They only die if they are active on your ship when you blow up, but they will siphon money from you all the time regardless. Generally people tend to have one Sunday Best pilot they nurture from harmless (which keeps their pay cut lower) and then just hire Expert pilots if you do anything potentially dangerous like pvp, and fire them immediately afterwards.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Frontier's efforts to explain necessary gamified mechanics via technobabble about holograms is ironically more detrimental to my immersion than just fading to black and letting people's imaginations go to work.

We already accept that it's perfectly normal not to be able to buy iron, or that Isaac Newton was a frickin' lying hack, or that militarized beach buggies are absolutely how archeology happens always... but somehow when it comes to instantaneous multi-crew for funsies the brown sea goes all Tomas de Torquemada.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

chaosapiant posted:

Yea, just did a bit of prospecting because I can’t sleep. I found 1 low temp diamond roid and 2 vopal roids in the same ring and was able to pop them all with optimum yield. I can’t get enough of this activity.

If I log out/close the game while still sitting in that ring, when I log back in am I going to have to deal with pirates? Should I have gone to a station and docked instead?

Whenever you spawn in a ring there will be some spawns, if not pirates maybe security ships, but you should spawn outside the ring, outside masslock afaik, like when you relog at a station and it places you a certain distance away... so just immediately boost up and away and low wake. Should be fine, they won't do anything until they scan you anyway.

edit: and other instances of the word spawn, spawn spawn

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

chaosapiant posted:

So here's a neat bit of dumbness on my part: I didn't know about Jameson Memorial. I'm about to hit Elite in trading thanks to vopal mining, and I decided to look online to see if there are any perks associated with that rank. There's a station called Jameson Memorial in Shart Desi Arnez system that sells every piece of equipment and ship, and at a discount. I'd heard of this place before, but never knew it was this awesome. I'm pretty psyched to get Elite and move all my ships/modules here and have a bit of a homebase where I can try different builds without hunting for poo poo.

Just be aware that, in Open, Shinrarta is locked in a constant glorious furball of PvP violence 24 hours a day.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Cool news that you've updated the classic guide, Kurr. We had to kind of stop using it in support for a while post 3.3. I'll put links to it in my build doc.

edit re. "I’m still looking for one that has selenium."

Unfortunately there won't be one, because despite being classified as a grade 4 in trading terms, Selenium is treated as a grade 2 in drop terms, meaning it has a chance to drop from crystalline fragments but is diluted by whatever G2s are in the planet's drop table. It's sad and stupid, but you can improve your chances at a high % planet with geological sites like https://eddb.io/body/11730909 for example.

Tommy the Newt fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Sep 17, 2019

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

TIE Fighter ruined me and the stick has to be pitch/yaw and twist/rudder is roll. I can't fix my brain. :ohdear:

TIE fighter didn't ruin you, this is objectively the best way to fly a 6DOF game. It's people with terrestrial flight sim hangovers that need to fix their brain IMO.

I rant, ready?: The first thing mouse users do when they tweak their bindings in this game is put yaw on the X axis and in that context it seems obvious - you need to tweak yaw and pitch in tandem to aim well - it's just common sense. HOTAS people have plane games in their head and don't do this, and as a result sticks get the reputation of being inferior inputs for top-level fixed shootmanning (I mean, not just because of that, but I'm convinced it's part of it). The fact that yaw is less sensitive is no reason not to have it on the most granular axis you can, because that's how you're fine-tuning your aim. Also by having pitch and roll together on the stick every time you pitch you risk adding noise to your aim with unwanted roll. This is especially a problem in FA off, which is the primo way to aim railguns as it smooths off your turn rate. Roll is important, but is used for broader, less granular movement and, unlike plane sims is completely independent. So it makes sense to have it on the less granular twist. If you were playing Halo or something you wouldn't have strafe and pitch on one stick and yaw and run on the other, that would be madness.

It does annoy me that you can't change the behaviour of your avatar though, in VR it's mildly offputting catching it doing the wrong motions out of the corner of my eye.

But yeah, everyone I know who's switched to TIE controls has said it's dramatically helped their aim, after the initial muscle memory reset period.

Tommy the Newt fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Sep 18, 2019

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Shine posted:

My one regret with the SA forums is that I didn't wordfilter "objectively" to "subjectively" when I was an admin. I suspect nobody would have noticed.

I meant objectively. It's measurably better for numerous reasons and I will be overbearing and belligerent about it until the world knows

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Thundarr posted:

I play E:D with a mouse, never played a flight sim for any meaningful amount of time, and I use the x axis to roll. :colbert:

Incredibly strange behaviour. You must be dissected for science.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

chaosapiant posted:

While I'm asking VR questions, what are some good HUD color profiles to use in VR, besides normal? I've tried a few in ED Profiler that say "good for VR" next to the name, but they still have spots of text too dark to read. Do any of ya'll use VR with non-vanilla HUD that looks good 100% of the time?

Might be obvious but remember to play with the HUD brightness in the right hand panel in game, you need to crank it up for some of the non-vanilla HUDs and down for others.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Dongattack posted:

I can't find the megathread (or the forums for that matter), do you have a link?

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/no2o-the-definitive-list-of-1-7-2-2-compatible-hud-colour-color-configs-please-add-yours.259311/

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

YO. Getting reports that storing engineered modules in this new patch wipes the mod. So... don't do that.

EDIT: Nope, apparently all stored weapons and boosters have had their engineering wiped. So... maybe wait until they sort it.

Also. LMAO.

Tommy the Newt fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 18, 2019

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Dongattack posted:

D: but if i don't take off engineered modules its fine right?

edit: its apparently just a visual bug and the engineering is back when you install it again
https://steamcommunity.com/app/359320/discussions/0/1628538005506634827/?tscn=1568835666

I'm reading through a PvP discord that says it's not, and they have been testing it in earnest. I honestly wouldn't touch it for the time being on the offchance. This will probably get rolled back along with any progress you make.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Shine posted:

You didn't cite any objective measurements.

OK so mainly I was being deliberately overbearing as a schtick and am not actually trying to rub you the wrong way in anything other than a comedic fashion. That said, the X axis is measurably more granular and accurate than the twist axis on all joysticks I'm aware of. The noise added by roll while trying to pitch in FA off is incredibly hard to nullify without a deadzone, which eats into your accuracy in its own way. You may have a good argument for your method, I will happily hear it. The default controls for most of the game's input methods do seem to lumber new players with something of a handicap - nobody playing it competitively at a high level continues to use them.

Of course you should use whatever control scheme you want for da spaceship game, though, that goes without saying.

Edit: to be clear, I do actually know what objectively means, I promise, and I used it in an extremely borderline way on purpose, which seems to have worked :D

Tommy the Newt fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 18, 2019

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Dongattack posted:

I mean, they can still be right at the discord lol, Fdev make a lot of mistakes.

Lol, yeah I mean maybe. I'm sticking to skepticism at this point, for safety. I dunno if you were around for the bugged plasma chainguns that Frontier insisted "were absolutely not a thing!" until they very much were a thing, in your face. Can you link that thread though? edit, I'm dumb, it's the same one from earlier, thanks. I get overexcited when they break things

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Yeah ok people are now saying if you refit then relog it should update them correctly.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

I would like to try some pedals, not least because the twist pot on the T16000m is pretty unreliable and needs a good cleaning every few months... which isn't ideal and may (may) contribute to my unnecessarily strong feelings 'bout twist aim... but yeah couldn't quite justify the extra expense when I got the hot rear end. I keep trawling used sites for some though.

The roll 'noise' issue I mentioned only really comes into effect when you're flying in FA off a lot (which isn't necessary for most situations) because any inadvertent roll needs to be cancelled, which is also probably why I don't get that sense of frustration you're describing from the low yaw rates - in that 1:1 way. I guess in the context of flight assist off there's basically no large or prolonged movement of the stick, just small nudges and corrections around the centre point. I can definitely see it being weird to yank the thing all the way to the left and watch your ship inch sideways like an oil tanker, for sure.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

chaosapiant posted:

I've been using my T1600000M for almost 2 years now and have never had any issues with the twist. How do you clean it?

So, actually I didn't really explain properly brevity's sake. Basically some of them get serious twist noise building up that, as far as I can tell, comes down to a couple of things - the internal wiring is quite shoddy and all the wires from the top buttons run down behind a screw housing right in front of the twist pot. The twist pot in turn has a splodge of glue gun glue on top of the soldering - poking out forwards towards the button wiring. For a lot of people this glue gun glue splodge (yes, typed it again) protrudes too far and eventually gets tangled in the wires, which are progressively pulled tighter by using the stick... so I had to open mine up, shaved off a chunk of the glue, ran the button wiring in front of the screw housing rather than behind it, then had to re-seat and clean the twist pot as it had got all gummed up and pushed out of its position. The pot also seems to be put under a fair amount of pressure somehow and can make the twist a bit grainy sometimes. As a precaution I now open it up every now and then to tug the wires back up into the handle and just give everything a bit o' lube.

If it's not happening to your stick, that's great - I think it's an amazing joystick for the price range tbh, but if you do ever get that problem let me know, I took a bunch of pictures when I took it apart.

edit: as for cleaning it in general I use a basic contact cleaner, like, Deoxit or whatever it's called. I probably did an awful hackjob with it and it'll explode and kill me in a few months... but for the time being it works really smoothly and is incredibly accurate otherwise, zero deadzone anywhere. v. nice.

Tommy the Newt fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Sep 18, 2019

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

chaosapiant posted:

Good info, thank you! Is it worth taking a part and shaving some of that glue preventively?

I would say if you've been using it for 2 years and it's perfectly fine, then don't touch it at all.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Lol. I mean, there has been an update...

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/131518209483472896/623967949077610496/yes.PNG

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

tooterfish posted:

You're also the guy who thinks Jameson Memorial is the cantina from Star Wars though, so how seriously can we take you really?

Lol. Yes. And I mean it. Check Inara's security report or the EDRecon bot. The vast majority of player kills happen there, although admittedly a portion of those are between 'consenting' PvP players so ymmv - most of the bigger ganker groups centre around it though.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

tooterfish posted:

I've lived out of that place since launch, never had so much as another player call me a mean name in open.

Either word's got around that I'm the deadliest of prey and should be left alone at all costs, or you're talking out of your drive nozzle.

It's not my data, it's data collected by player reports and 3rd party tools. Shinrarta is the top of the kill list from every source. If you're sitting in dock chatting to the other players you're not in danger, and the danger of the supercruise time varies by timezone.

If you haven't been attacked that would suggest that incidents of ganking in the game are rarer than many brownsea denizens would have you believe, but the fact that Shinrarta is currently the number one hotspot for the ganking that does exist is supported statistically.

edit: the likelihood you'll be targeted also depends to a degree on the ship you're flying.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

If you're feeling left out, I will happily shoot at you next time I am there.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Am I to be denied hyperbole?

Relatively non-stop, compared to the entirely empty corners of this functionally single player space game?

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Jippa posted:

Random steam sale newcomer question. How important is the dlc, is it a game changer?

I think mid to long term it's mandatory. That said, the base game is still basically representative of what you can expect in terms of activities, pacing and enjoyment. It's tricky to vet Elite without passing the 2 hour refund limit, so that'd be the reason to hold off. If you can see yourself getting into it you'll want horizons or you'll feel quite limited quite fast.

edit: efb

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Hugh Malone posted:

it might be worth checking on today

Lots of thing still very much broken as of right now. No patches have been pushed.

EDIT: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/september-update-known-issues.522203/

Tommy the Newt fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 19, 2019

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

What Mike means is that the WEP capacitor is actually best thought of as a cooling system - when it runs out your ship isn't able to fire due to thermal overload. This is why, for example, if you fire a heatsink you can shoot a beam laser for longer. It's also why when firing guns on a low capacitor more heat is generated, the last rail shot on a distro generates significantly more heat than the first.

IIRC the thermal vent power is proportional to the amount of damage done, so by going overcharged you boost the cooling effect along with the DPS.

edit: sorry I don't think it's directly proportional to the damage actually, it's something really dumb like proportional to the heat generated by the gun in question (or let's say 'would be generated', by the gun in question.) I used to have a link for this but I can't find it right now

Tommy the Newt fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 19, 2019

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

DonVincenzo posted:

High intensity conflict zones with Frogs is the only reason I still play this game. Sure they're nothing like any single player game missions but you've got various bonus objectives that may or may not ruin your day. War's good and fun.

It sustains us... also we got a cool billion in the pocket from stacked wing missions during the last Xihe cycle. If anyone hasn't joined a war wing one time or another you should try it, it's as close as the game flies to being truly cooperative and when it works it's always fun.

Problem is, with the new progress bar structure and objectives there also came a grand enfattening of NPCs, so you regularly get 2000+ hp master cobras just pooping around, or a swirl of Viper 4s that literally don't have a high enough DPE to kill each other. The result is it's much less viable to take small ships to CZs solo now - not because you're in danger but because you risk lacking either the ammo, DPS or both to finish it. Even lows can be hard to finish without synth sometimes depending on how lovely the spawns are.

So it's hard to recommend Vultures for that anymore, even though they are clearly awesome. Like Kurr said the Chieftain is probably the medium that most resembles it in terms of flight model - and it has a more comfortable DPS with plenty of feedback rail space.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

timn posted:

Are you saying your heat level influences weapon capacitor draw because that's news to me.

It's not as simple as that. The total heat of your ship, on the left of your HUD, doesn't directly affect your capacitor's behaviour. It is your heat dissapation (which is its own stat) that does.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

timn posted:

I would like to know more

Unfortunately so would a lot of people, but Fdev obscures all of this information. The things people know about heat mechanics and a lot of damage stats come from nerdy types trying to reverse engineer the maths behind it. I'm not at my PC so I can't find the bookmarked post right now, but there was a thread on it in the brown sea.

If you're curious to try it yourself get a beam fighter and play around firing with/without sinks and with different pip configurations - also look at the thermal load indicator next to the weapon on your HUD.

edit: To be more specific about the overcharged beam thing, it's basically that due to generating a lot more heat it also... generates more cooling cause... it does, m'kay? And given that thermal vent affects your dissapation stat that in turn means that you can fire significantly longer when you're striking the target than when you aren't. To be honest I'm not exactly sure how their DPE stacks up vs. efficient beams. I am curious myself but I don't have many lasers modded due to being a PvP tryhard and the DPE + base laser falloff of 500/600 metres makes them suboptimal for that specifically... so you will have to ask someone else if you want to do science to them. I believe the extra heat generated by Overcharged is capable of offsetting a large amount of its draw, edit - none of this is true, TV doesn't affect weapon up-time in the same way heatsinks do.

Tommy the Newt fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jun 5, 2020

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Wing Sorties in CZs are dope as gently caress and I miss doing them. Tommy hit me up while I was like 20k out from the bubble :(

I did notice that my vulture was kind of underperforming a bit in the new CZs, but I think they'd be solid in a wing still. I haven't taken the Chief into one yet. I dunno where to fight and I'm avoiding doing much around frogspace since I don't want to gently caress with whatever they're doing.

The cool thing about the in-game squadron is you can see an overview of the faction and all the states per system, so I just use it as a war menu. There's almost always a war on somewhere, even if we don't necessarily care about all of them - and you can shout at people in squad chat and coerce them into joining you. You should join the squad and come shootmans. Vultures do still work well in a wing too, you're right... in fact it's kind of cool to have a few different types up I think, like one Big3, a couple of angry mediums and something zippy seems to get into a nice rhythm and cover more space faster than wall-to-wall vettes.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Tell mog to accept my request :v:

As for the Chieftain, like I said, it's almost as maneuverable as the Vulture, looks loving cool, and has 2 Large, 1 Medium, 3 Small Hardpoints vs. the Vulture's 2 Large hardpoints. It can pack a lot of hurt, outmaneuver just about anything, and did I mention how fuckin cool it looks????

Ah, she's been on holiday that's prolly why it's pending. Yeah Chieftain is excellent, instantly became my favourite when they introduced it. I do feel a bit bad for the FAS though, which is now not only rank locked but kind of irrelevant... poor ole' FAS. Still so fun and boxy.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Thundarr posted:

Speaking of hidden and semi hidden stats, what all does the system end of the power distributor affect other than shield recharge? Engine and weapons are pretty self evident but I've never been sure if I'm gimping myself by ignoring sys except in the aftermath of a fight.

Sorry, missed this earlier. It's another slightly odd thing that the game doesn't do a great job of explaining.

SYS pips don't actually affect recharge directly. Your shield only has 2 flat recharge speeds, one while it's active and another while broken, the broken being a lot higher, but also the 0 - 50% rebuild time is faster than it is while shields are active. So these rates are constant, but your shield will stop recharging if your capacitor is empty. From a purely recharge point of view you just need to make sure there's enough juice in the SYS cap for it to keep doing its thing, either by holding enough pips there to cover the drain, or by moving pips back into it to keep it topped up every now and then.

Thing is, pips also have a damage scaling effect, like a resistance value. This is really important and you can model it if you take a look at coriolis or something and look under the defence tab:

https://s.orbis.zone/4j6c as an example this chieftain has a biweave shield value of 345mj (says at the top of the page), but this number actually represents the shield's effective "absolute" health (before calculating any eventual resistances for thermal/kinetic/explosive) with zero pips in SYS.

If I put 2 pips in SYS the effective absolute health rises to 517, and with 4 it gets up to 862 - so you can see if I'm about to hit something, or be shot, it makes a huge difference if I can put as many pips in SYS as possible. Based on this value you can then calculate for resistances, so that 345hp "absolute" with 0 pips equates to 790hp vs thermal damage (lasers / incendiary) while the 862hp you get with 4 pips is 1975hp effective against thermal damage.

So yeah, if you're about to take a hit, jam as many pips in SYS as possible, it multiplies your shield values by a huge amount. It also shows you why plasma accelerators are the most ubiquitous pvp weapon because 60% of their damage is absolute, bypassing those huge potential resistances.

Generally people focus on resistances heavily with biweave shields (so thermal resistance on the base generator then resistance augmented boosters) because every absolute MJ they regenerate becomes more valuable. The interest in prismatic shields on the other hand, which regenerate incredibly slowly, is usually to have the biggest up-front absolute shield value, which protects against sustained plasma and ram damage over shorter periods.

Tommy the Newt fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jun 5, 2020

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

chaosapiant posted:

Anyone ever have the stones to try parking a ship in a station with in-station correctional rotation disabled? How was it? Please describe how it made you feel, and would you do it again?

I dock in FA off a lot just for something to do. Here's a video from an argument a couple of months ago about whether docking computers were faster than doing it manually (they're not).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG6eq7dkSKU

It serves no purpose, but learning to control your ship well even in mundane circumstances can be fun.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The one thing even the bitterest vets agree upon is that Elite's flight model is good and cool, so although I don't agree with the tryhards who argue for automation modules to be removed from the game (I get those days when you just want to alt tab, for sure) I don't really understand why people would want to bypass the flying part. Elite without the flying is just watching various numbers increase incredibly slowly.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Libluini posted:

Why even ask that question? Docking computers aren't there to dock you faster, they're there to dock you automatically. Who the hell looked at their ship slowly gliding forward under soothing classical music and thought "hell yeah, clearly the purpose of this is to dock me up faster!!!"

I mean, this was very much my reaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Insert name here posted:

Personally I think that auto-dock and supercruise assist shouldn't be modules at all; they should just be part of the baseline ship that you activate from the right-hand menu (like how you can enable/disable it now if you have one equipped) because, well, if someone wants to auto-dock then let em, there's no reason to take up a module slot for that. Of course it will never happen because any time this suggestion gets brought up anywhere hordes of people trip over themselves to tell the suggester to :gitgud: and brag about how good they are at docking.

I agree with you that the functions should be integrated into the ship, mainly so there wasn't always a binary choice between survivability and convenience, and so that people could play in open in functional pve/mission ships without being at a massive numerical disadvantage if a fight starts.

One of the problems Elite has as a multiplayer (hahahaha) ecosystem is the massive discrepancy between well-built ships and not-so-well built ships - which was always the case but engineers exacerbated it beyond any reasonable limits. Ideally there should be a lot more restrictions on what you can and can't fit per slot so that the advantage you get from minmaxing is brought into a vaguely workable power spectrum, but that will never happen. The extra C1 slots that were recently added are a good example cause the majority of the PvE playerbase goes "yay, I can fit an extra scanner / assist module / limpet controller" while every competitive player goes "right, well that's up to 40% more effective health, right there" which just polarizes everything further. I know a lot of people probably couldn't give a poo poo but I think it's a shame there is less and less scope for 'emergent' interactions that aren't hopelessly lopsided.

I do think people should learn how to dock manually though because that's about 84% of the gameplay on offer.