Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Fired the game up for the first time in like a month, and the first time with my new Oculus Rift (:woop:), and I immediately found some sort of giant tanker ship being attacked by Thargoids. They radioed saying they were being attacked and asked for help, but I couldnt find anything obvious that I could do.

What do I do there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I didnt see any, was the weird part, there were a couple other ships around, but nothing Thargoid related as I could see

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

chaosapiant posted:

How do you like the Oculus compared to the Monoculus you'd bought previously?

Well, other than being able to walk around the ship, they’re honestly mostly the same. Not really because of the headsets, but because of how much Elite relies on being seated and doesn’t really use 6dof headset features. It’s a pretty 3dof game. Which is why it was perfect for the monoculus

The Rift has better tracking and isnt locked to 60fps like the monoculus, so those are niceties with it.

Don’t get me wrong, the Rift is great, but the monoculus wasn’t bad at all for Elite, in reality. All you really gave up was walking around the deck of the ship.

I really do like my newfound ability to play motion controller games though. I spent a solid two hours throwing things at people in pokerstars VR, which is hilarious to me for some entirely juvenile reason.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

mekyabetsu posted:

ED is still the "killer app" for VR in my opinion. The sense of scale you get in VR really has to be seen to be believed. I still remember the first time I fired up the game with my headset on and realized, holy poo poo, the Asp Explorer is HUGE.

The reason I’ve spent my entire career in this game playing space trucker is because gliding through the mail slot in vr and landing as my buttkicker rumbles in my driving/flying rig will never, ever get old.

Now that I have a rift I may toss a docking computer in and walk around my deck as it lands just to try it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

RIGCHAT!!

Mine has changed a bit from this pic. It now has a Ford Focus ST seat on it and the wheel is now flanked by my HOTAS setup, but this is basically what I VR in. The buttkicker adds a ton of immersion to it as well

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Blimpkin posted:

Now we're talking, but I can't help but imagine how cold that room gets, if it's like every other semi-finished basement I've ever gamed in.

No better excuse to game in sweatpants and a sweatshirt

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Eldragon posted:

6 months from now you'll have a full HOTAS rig and asking how to build a sim pit.

One of us!! One of us!!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Should be easy enough to follow the other guides were just massive walls of text.

Whoa, thank you for this!!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Are you on vacation? If so, crashing while asleep-at-the-stick is a right of passage.

More than once I’ve fallen asleep during the jump and slammed into the star I jumped to, overheating my ship

You aren’t a CMDR until you’ve done it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hey a new one of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V41Nv2XSOeg

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dick Trauma posted:

The flood of evacuation shelter missions has turned into a tidal wave of poop delivery missions. Everyone poops, and everyone wants poop, and I am the one to make it happen.

You would think that they could really cut out the middle man on that one

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Moral_Hazard posted:

Is there a good space trucking guide? I have an exploraconda that could be easily modified into a container ship.

I’ll piggyback on this question and ask if there are any major space trucking changes that came with the new version of the game? I haven’t played since it released in December.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Anyone here doing this?

https://kotaku.com/10-000-elite-dangerous-players-start-an-18-week-journey-1831702968

Is this something where someone could just catch up with the group and tag along?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Try out this series of videos, there are 3 of them. It doesn’t spoil the game but does tell you the basics.

https://youtu.be/gf_7bwlIytA

Elite is a game that you need to read a wiki or watch a video to figure out. A lot of it doesn’t make sense necessarily. An example that tripped me up and is addressed in the above video is your ship will periodically flash a sign that says “SLOW DOWN”.

Your first inclination is to cut the throttle, but what it really means is you are being slowed down by gravity from a nearby celestial body. How you would figure that out without some tribal knowledge I do not know.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

VR friends, is there a good virtual keyboard you can use in Elite while in VR? I use my race cockpit to play Elite and its a pain in the rear end to also have a keyboard sitting nearby, so for the coupe times I need to type something into the galactic map it would be nice to just have a virtual keyboard to hunt and peck it in. Does such a thing exist?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I said come in! posted:

A friend sat down with me tonight and taught me the basics of playing Elite Dangerous, and now i'm kinda hooked. :kiddo:

Elite really is a game that requires a sherpa in the beginning

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

BattleMaster posted:

They solicited astronaut Chris Hadfield for a response to the expedition and that message was it.

:cripes:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Blind Rasputin posted:

Please attempt to navigate the galaxy map in VR without having a seizure.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well, I made the 30+ jumps needed to join the DW2 crew at Pallaeni. Hung out for a bit, got shot down, rebought my ship, and cheked the galaxy map for the next spot, Omega Sector VE-Q b5-15.

Cant get there.

Welp, that was fun.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That might be it, I'll double check. I just assumed it meant that one of the jumps was over my ships limits and there werent any shorter routes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s me the monoculus Rift goon. It works well with glasses, better than my actual oculus Rift does, in fact

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

get the $50 walmart VR and SIT IN THE SHIP :catdrugs:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Blind Rasputin posted:

There’s...there’s no way this would work with the Xbox is there? Just still so loving jaded the Xbox one x can’t do VR.

PC/Windows only, sorry friendo

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The secret project is even more bugs

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I ran Elite VR on an AMD FX-8300 with 8gb of ddr3 and a gtx 1050.

It’s not that huge of a proposition to find a computer that can match or beat that configuration today.

On my new machine with a 1060-6gb, 24GB of ddr4 and a Ryzen 5 2600x the main thing I notice is I spend less time in witchspace.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Everspace is $9 on chrono.gg, is it good if I like elite but dislike the complexity of anything more than space trucking?

Also, I’d only play in VR, much like elite, if that makes a difference

E: I was sold on “space exploration” and “arcade controls”. I’ll try it for $9

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 29, 2019

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I use the t-flight HOTAS and it’s also very good. My only wish is that it had two separate usb cables for the throttle and stick rather than one and a link cable

The HOTAS itself though I never find lacking

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hellsau posted:

e: also speaking of joysticks, am I weird for swapping roll and yaw? I want to roll when I twist the stick, and have just up/down/left/right movement done by moving the stick.

:stare: yes, definitely.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Elite Dangerous: My God, its full of bugs!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Buy a Rift S from Best Buy/Walmart and return it within the window if it makes you too sick. Also give it a couple hours. My Rift made me nauseous a couple times in the beginning while I acclimated, now I’m good to go for any amount of VR weirdness

Also, there is no cooler thing in Elite than walking around the bridge of your ship in VR

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Kilazar posted:

Thanks!

Ok, got VR working! What is the preferred control method for VR. Right now I'm using mouse keyboard, but I feel like I am fumbling around even though I know keyboard pretty well. It seems when doing game stuff instead of just typing I don't know it as well as I thought heh. I have an xbox elite controller I could try. Or is kb mouse preferable? As a note, I'm not buying a HOTAS. I've spent too much money this past couple weeks on VR poo poo heh

I need some help getting this started. When I start it through Oculus>Steam VR it tell me I don't have the appropriate controller and there does not seem to be a way to select keyboard mouse.

If I just open steam vr and start it that way, it doesn't start in my Rift, and there doesn't seem to be a VR setting to toggle.

*edit
Ok it keeps loading the combat trainer. So I guess my keys are not linked. My god this poo poo is not user friendly. It keeps telling me what my keys are when I launch but not where to input them. On the elite store under my account I tried going to partner keys but there is no option to input my key and it says my steam account is linked :/ ** <<<<---EDIT --- Figured this bit out. You have to go to product access key and then input a shipping address... wtf.

** edit -- Figured it all out. Once the keys were in, I could just launch it from Steam VR app (without launching steam vr from the Oculus home/app)

In VR your best bet is a HOTAS. The thrustmaster HOTAS 4 is the best entry level one. I have one and it’s great for elite.

Barring that, an Xbone controller would be second best.

Keyboard and mouse is hard in VR because your hands leave them and have to come back without you being able to see.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well I’ll say I played a long time on a chest level HOTAS and it was just fine :shrug:

Plus the thrustmaster HOTAS is like $40 if I recall

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wifi Toilet posted:

I know this is supposed to make me want space legs, but it's really just making me want to be able to land on green planets. Wanna land and drive through forests and also on beaches so bad.

No Mans Sky VR is coming this summer

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Combat log all day. I’m space truckin biowaste in a junk ship. Pester someone else

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I know I can google this, but I trust goon opinions. What’s the best space trucking ship? I have a 32 capacity cargo rack now, but I want to upgrade and I figure I may as well just get the biggest cargo ship I can afford if I’m gonna do it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The correct nomenclature is Thrustmaster t160000000000000000m

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I am going to start an online university that offers PHD’s in theoretical Elite data science

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Maybe I don’t get what’s being discussed but why would you target people with docking computers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cowcaster posted:

"casuls who don't manually dock deserve to get blowed up" is my educated guess

Oh, thats dumb, but also, docking and undocking is awesome, so I kinda get it