Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.
i will never correct the typos in ship poo poo post, they will be a testament to the international froggery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

AttackBacon posted:

After that I started up just to poke around. I saw that there was solo mode and open, can I freely transfer between the two or are the separate "saves"? In open, is there anything I should be aware of re: other players (ie: piracy etc)?

All game modes (Solo, Private Group, Open) share same background simulation and nowadays also missions. They're effectively all the same game and I don't care about how instancing really works, just tell yourself that in Solo you will never instance/see other players, in PG you will only see people sharing the group, and in Open you see every player the game decides to instance you with (game is bad at this). I think there's something about Powerplay becoming limited to Open only, but I have no idea what the deal with that is. Otherwise they're the same, so some wanker doing bullshit in Open results in that bullshittery being implemented in Solo too and vice versa. You can pick a mission in Open and finish it in Solo. The only difference is whether you can theoretically see other people or not.

Open gets this reputation of being a complete anarchy with swarms of players immediately killing you for no reason in overengineered ships. This reputation is extremely exaggerated. First of all: yes, this sort of murder does indeed happen sometimes, but it's rare and you sorta have to go out to look for it. Certain hotspots - community goals, engineer worlds, Shinrarta Dezhra, San Tu those PvP hub systems and powerplay systems in particular - attract a lot of player traffic, and wherever many people meet each other in a computer game, some people will be aggressive. Outside those systems other players are very rare, and you will mostly meet other people in some lucrative and popular trading routes or gold rushes, such as Robigo. If you go out exploring, you will probably never encounter anyone unless you stray close to Colonia or famous Guardian ruins.

When you then actually meet other people, 90+% of encounters are either completely unremarkable or friendly. Sometimes people go out and look for a fight, and at some point someone will try to kill you for no reason, but often even aggressive encounters - such as you being pirated by a commander at a community goal - are in the end quite casual and friendly, and often you can simply talk your way out of losing your ship, switch modes through game menu, or high wake away. While being in Open can be potentially dangerous, I have lost more ships to chain interdictions and stupidity around stations than to PvP combat, and having other people to share experiences with is just nice :3:

I have played in Open for basically my entire E:D career and have even done community goal unshielded trading, and I think it's very fun. Sometimes you run into some player doing the same poo poo as you and then you talk and wing up and have fun. Sometimes you play cat and mouse games with other players. Usually you see no one. There are particular things to learn about trading in open, but those mostly pertain to very particular situations, such as Community Goals, and to go through them would make this effortpost even longer.

El Perkele fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Dec 13, 2018

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

Elderbean posted:

Where can I do some basic combat missions? I suck at shooting things.

Find a Resource Extraction site (low) from a ring. Grab a kill warrant scanner. Go to RES. Follow cops around, scan ships, shoot the ships the cops are shooting. Get money. Repeat. You'll get the hang of it.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

Stevefin posted:

So is this game worth playing now after this update?

it's still the same game but
- exploration is significantly better
- apparently mining is better too?
- squadrons+bgs revamp means you can actually achieve stuff with people you play with
- there are shiny shiny new ships that offer very little new things compared to older ships
- graphics something something

obviously it all depends on when you last played the game

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i last played before horizons, i think i stopped just after they released all those faction people like space reagan and evil dredlock man, whats the coolest new stuff thats changed? would i be better off starting fresh or should I stick with my old guy? I think i had a vulture (i briefly had a python but i didnt like it despite having saved 100 years for it) and some other small-mid ships.

Use your old save unless you want to do the noob journeys again.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

TorakFade posted:

thanks guys. Yeah 100 mil/hour seemed a little optimistic, but as long as I can get like 50 millions in 2 hours it's plenty good for me, couple of weekends and I'll have doubled my current assets if everything goes according to plan. And I already have a Python mining barge so I just need to grab the new equipment and I'm off to mining 'roids.

I had reached that plateau where ship and module costs were exponentially skyrocketing and there was literally no non-exploit way of making more than 3-4 mil/hour which is 3 rebuys for my vulture (and I can die more than that in 30 minutes) or 1/10th of a 7A module, so it was basically impossible to "progress" with my 2-3 gaming hours/week and honestly I felt no motivation to go on. Now if I can make some serious cash during a weekend I can finally try outfitting an Anaconda, or maybe a Krait with a fighter, or whatever :allears:

When you start to sell your asteroid bucks, glance at the mission table every now and them. If you're allied with a faction - which you should get if you're selling deep core mats - you may sometimes face missions like "deliver 160 units of crack" for 3-5 million or so. If the target system and stations are close, you can p. easily grab a few extra million in a few minutes, and it helps break up the monotony.

Last night I got a stupid wing mission, source 750 units of lanthanum. I had a T-9 sitting right there, and got a total of about 15mil in under 20 minutes.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

Mendrian posted:

So what ways are there to make a permanent impact on Elite and are they worth doing? Are they even fun in like, an RP kind of way?

I realize permanent world altering is kind of moot in Elite because a person can just log off and not be part of the sim anymore, but for those of us playing in open, at least?

Short answer: none.

Long answer: BGS people flip systems, expand their influence and wage wars against other groups. Practically speaking these have little to no effect to anyone except the most hardcore roleplayers. It's fun to get a new station but it affects nothing. No one bats an eye unless they're super hardcore into faction play, which is a metagame that exists to justify various actions for their own sake. Who cares if HIP 29104 is controlled by HIP 29104 Purple League or Movement for HIP 21751 Free? vOv It's roleplay for fun, but if you fly through that system you'd never notice anything, no matter how many PvP wars would be waged.

Then there are community events and so on. The changes as cosmetical and often nonexistant. There was a recent plotline about a fundamentalist group slaughtering everyone and threatening to blow up a station but it just fizzled out and led to nowhere. The game's anime princess has done all sorts of poo poo and leads an anti-slavery campaign and is popular with players and has gotten married etc. but nothing the players have done has affected that nor has it affected gameplay in any way. Players have killed a bazillion Thargoids but the invasion keeps sputtering on relentlessly and completely inconsequentially.

But there is actually one thing that may have switched the galaxy a bit, but it's still unlikely and completely unverifiable, and it's extremely telling of Elite's world.

Back in 2017, the developers started making noises about an NPC character coming to bubble to reveal some information about something. Her epic journey would be in a book, even! Sort of communal CYOA. The defence was handed to a group of players, and the character would be piloted by game developers. The character, Salomé, would be flying a route from wherever to whatever, and players could interdict her to kill her, or protect her. An immense networking error ensued. Hundreds of people were interdicted, ships and connections were lost, plasma slugs were flying through the void of empty instances. It was perhaps epic in some sense. During this time, the protectors had decided - for god knows WHAT reason - to also allow people from a notorious group called SDC to fly protection duty.

Needless to say, one of the SDC members ostensibly meant to protect Salami interdicted and then killed her. The name of the commander was Harry Potter, so the epic story of Salome would end in a copyrighted character killing her (probably quite nonchalantly). Apparently it was all a ruse because the Illuminati or whatever was revealed or something anyways. No one really cares too much, except people legitimately hate Harry Potter and SDC now. Like, many players really, really literally hate them, they keep comparing them to literal child molesters in reddit and so on.

So if you want to carve your name in the cosmic tapestry of rich lore that is Elite, basically start killing other players in innovative and spectacular ways. Then some idiot doxxes you.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

Hugh Malone posted:

if someone sends you [message], you must blow thems up

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

to those broken persons who buy the game in steam sales 2019 (blessed be braben) and drift in here

there's a faction link in the first post. follow instructions.

eventually you will be building superior ships, feeling allmight and excreting sand from all of your orifices

also get in open you nerds

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

Tommy the Newt posted:

Player groups help, though you'll often hear people complain that the best things that happen are despite Elite's game mechanics rather than thanks to them, and that's pretty accurate. Given the game offers so few stakes, it helps to hang out on some discords and try to make some up... then try desperately to convince each other that they're real, then burn out, remember the stakes were a lie, poo poo up the discord with negativity and play other games for a month... before coming crawling back because 12-year-old you missed drivin' ships. That is the cycle.

stop doxxing me

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

smug jeebus posted:

How do people like the Funship? assuming A-rated 5-rank DD Thrusters, is it maneuverable enough to use fixed guns?

With FA-off, yes. It's all about maintaining medium range, though, you get eaten alive if you get into a knife fight in that. Stack on module protection too; compared to FDS/FAS the Funship feels like stuff breaks all the time.

I fly Funships quite a bit, and they're fun but they're definitely a very hipster choice.

El Perkele fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 8, 2020

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

Pilchenstein posted:

Is this in czs or something? With my seven multicannon gunship in hazres I'm practically (and sometimes literally :v:) bouncing off the enemy's hull while blazing away :blastu:

CZs. it's better to maintain fire and not joust

as soon as you start to joust in gunship you are no longer playing to it's strengths because you're slow as poo poo and most other combat ships can flip faster than you, so just loving pour horrible fire on ppl from 1,5 klicks away

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

Pilchenstein posted:

Yeah, this is what I'm doing, more bullets hit the closer you are :v:

that's true and against large ships/chaff very much what you need to be right up their rear end (best chaff counter), but with more agile ships they very quickly start to boost past you and draw additional aggro.

there's a sweet spot where you can easily keep the target on sights for maximum amount of time, which in CZ Full Dakka FGS means basically trying to prevent any turning with vultures/viper4s/fdls at all, ever. if you can pick your targets and only fight condas/pythons/kraits etc. you don't have to be so picky and can be more aggressive

i have no idea how something crazy like full plasma or frag FGS would work on FA-off.

edit: anyways, gunship is always great fun, and i actually prefer it to vette (it's also much handier as dedicated CZ sweeper since we happen to wage war at medium pads quite often)

El Perkele fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 8, 2020

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

Tommy the Newt posted:

Doesn't really work well because plasma inherits velocity and you... don't have any. Aggressively boosting is the best way to drop plasma and kind of at odds with the gunship. You can use focused / long range plasma and sync it with multicannon shot speed though, g4 is close enough to fixed multis to make it work.

I actually have a fixed one reticle pa/mc build with focused PA i think. It's stupid and fun; it's also very inefficient unless you're great shot which I am not because, you know, fixed attrition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Hello assuming I want to be an absolute loving idiot and actually try engineers again is there a good up-to-date 2020 guide them? I'm up to a billion credits with mining and would like to now work on buying/engineering what's going to be an exploration ship and I have no real idea of what to go for aside from probably wanting to engineer the hell out of it.

Maybe put together a non-engineer explorer so I can fly around like an idiot to do all the engineering poo poo? My python jump range ain't great.

You can unlock all important engineers relatively fast if you put your mind to it, but engineering grind has shot several Elite careers in medulla oblongata. Nowadays it's much better and not nearly as horrible as before.

For unlocking pretty much all engineers in one go, check this guide, an upgrade of Fox's reddit guide from 2018 or so:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_5mc9jif6ClUSBSvA9o2R4sujB_ieKs5faZhBxySafw/edit

For pure exploration Felicity Farseer is your number 1 choice, and you're already working on that.

quote:

EDIT: I'm buying an Asp Explorer and fitting it based on some youtube video to get around 34LY jumps with no engineering and hopefully using that to work on the Farseer gal to engineer/upgrade my FSD. What's the legit best explorer? Anaconda? Dolphin? God these ship names are dumb as hell.
Youtube guides are often great, especially for engineering. For combat, however, they quite often simply suck. For asking build-specific help, the standard procedure is to go to https://coriolis.io/. Choose the ship you want, pick the modules you want, and slap on engineering you want. Then post the build in here.

Anyhoo. Anaconda jumps super far, can fit everything, and turns like a brick. Diamondback explorer jumps really well, but has small internals, meaning longer refuel time and less bells and whistles. KraitP and AspX are very similar, but KraitP jumps a bit farther and has more internal space, meaning it wins. Exploration fit KraitP is 30mil credits more expensive than a similar explo fit AspX, though.

El Perkele fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Nov 11, 2020