Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

What range are you guys hitting with the krait phantom? drat, RIP Orca.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I’m not entirely confused with the System scanner mini game after trying it in one moderately sized system. Is it that you can pick a frequency, like rocky bodies, or USS, and just selectively hunt for those? So if you enter a new system and need to get to its station.. you have to play this game to hunt down the stations? That seems like it could get repetitive.

I also don’t know which of the key bindings are important for the system scanner or the detailed surface scanner. I tried probe launching and had to like...fly around the planet in a circle to cover it in probes. I thought I saw someone arcing the probes into position.

I can’t tell if everything is HDR or just brighter as gently caress. Inside stations is just burning my eyes out bright. But they’ve done something to the suns and they now appear to have a shell and a core, which is cool.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Did they fix the Mamba heat issues? Is it a shield or armor tank?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Which planet is it that moves so fast the sun rises and sets like twice in 30 minutes? It took some extremely Malay supercruise moves to land on that thing without straight colliding.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

This needs to be in OP as well, for the new people learning how to land:

https://youtu.be/_OVPOV-aSsg

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I’d use Inara.cz and the engineers section for all your questions about what who can do. This is also a v good webpage for finding things and, everything. The only thing it’s missing is the ship fitting stuff at Coriolis.io

https://inara.cz/galaxy-engineers/

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

What’s the difference between small and medium abrasion, subsurface missile, and detonator missiles? I’m trying out this mining stuff and the size 2 medium hardpoint placement on a type-10 is abysmal for shooting these missiles into the target holes. The size 1 small hard points are right in front though. I can’t see how smaller size of the weapons would decrease the yield. So what does it do?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Get the gently caress in
https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/meatbishop/video/65433940

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Please go dock with the station, load up some passenger missions, and evacuate some fellow goon moms. Thank you.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Dick Trauma posted:

Wait, so the Thargoids attack stations? And you can rescue people like it's the fall of Saigon? :stonklol:

Yes and it’s rad as hell. Also very lucrative with large ships. Bring a lot of heat sinks.

Bringing supplies to a station does and will lead directly to its repair. It takes a lot, and I think the players in game have only managed to 100% a few. It used to be an extreme amount of stuff needed, but it’s a lot lower since a few months back. It’s still something like 20k units of each material. But a group of people sourcing the units could probably each deliver 1000 units a day or more.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Sounds like you’re ready for high-g planetary landings now.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Thargoid interceptors and scouts in a furball with local milita, targeting anything coming and going from the station. That’s next week.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Mining is nuts right now. In Delkian or whatever it’s called 20ly from Shinrarta Dezhra the pristine metallic ring just shits out the high grade minerals and 30 tons of them are 6 mil. I made some mad bank after cracking maybe 5 asteroids?

Only complaints are a) the hard points on most ships don’t fare so well with these mining missiles. I’ve gotten used to this though.

B) so great the npcs in rings now include engineered chieftains. I relogged back into the ring tonight. Immediately scanned and targeted by two chieftains (I’m in a type-10 heavy, thankfully with 4000hp of armor). My fighter and turreted beams whittle them down and destroy them but not before they knock out my engines with missiles. I was drifting like a lame pig for literally minutes while the fight went on before I could safely reboot and reset my thrusters.

It owned. But holy poo poo it was scary with all the stuff in my hold.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

The mamba is so crazy looking. It really needs G5 drag drives to compensate for its horrific lateral thrusters, and max shields. I got my butt kicked by a chieftain.

It’s a weird ship, because it appears and feels like a small fighter.. reminds me of an A wing or something Star Wars. So it feels like it should turn on a dime and scream. But instead it handles like something three times the size.

I have to say the way the FSS lets you find the mission targets, and the missions to “destroy x number of ships” now spawn a specific USS you scan down and fly to with that specific number of ships in it. That’s so drat great. I feel like they’ve FINALLY made it so every mission type works now. The game used to have maybe two actual mission types that didn’t bug out. They all work flawless now.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Is there a website that tells you how to take the neutron highway to colonia and Sag A? I have been out there before but I took the scenic route.

For the beginners, if you’re interested there is a very quick way to travel the galaxy called the neutron highway. Basically, entering the very edge of the blue glowing cone of a neutron star, like so:

will greatly overcharge your FSD. If you’re already pulling north of 50ly, your FSD range can jump to a whopping 120-150ly. You can combine this with FSD boosters you make inside your ship with materials to push even further. This effect lasts for one jump. Mind you, the experience of entering this extremely powerful gravitational cone full of heat and radiation is harrowing and can be quite dangerous, but easy enough to learn how to do regularly. First time trying you’ll either bounce off like a fly, or be sucked into its gravity well to have half your hull percentage torn off by the gravitational tides. An AFMU is required because after maybe ten jumps your FSD will have taken some damage and will need repair so it doesn’t malfunction. You do not want to be spit you out of witch space into just dead black nothingness..

You can take this highway of neutron stars, chaining together jumping from the next to the next, charging your FSD off the star every time. You can get to colonia in just a few hours of play time this way.

I’m sure there’s a chart out on the web somewhere, or maybe a way to make the map do it now? I just don’t know.

Edit: this is the worst way to die.
https://youtu.be/uFpUDyBZBCQ

Blind Rasputin fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 14, 2018

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Yes. Get one of each type of mining weapon (laser, abrasion blaster, subsurface missile, deep missile), any size don’t matter. Get a prospector limpet controller, collector limpet controller, refinery, and cargo. Get the pulse wave scanner. If you can fit all that you’re good to go.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Man, assassination is signs are so rad now. Finding the target is faster for sure, but when you drop into the target signal source there’s usually a pretty big brawl that erupts. On top of that, the ships they fly are nuts! One of my targets is in a federal corvette and despite my tricked out anaconda I could not drop its shields.

How do you guys think the alliance challenger (is that the largest model? So confusing) would work for mining? It has much better hardpoint placement.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Yeah, playing with coriolis I think alliance ships are hard pass for mining. Python is great though.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Dick Trauma posted:

I have been shamed. I will make the trip. I guess I can strip most everything out of the ship to get more range on the jumps, and do a d scan to make some money from it.

Mind you, thargoid presence is very hot right now out in that sector and there is a very high chance this might happen to you:
https://youtu.be/jbCyGYu13y0

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

a mysterious cloak posted:

I realized watching this you're on my xbox friends list for who knows how long. I have ED on the Bone but hardly ever play it that way, but add me anyway for some wing-dying fun. GT: Nostratic

Oh hell yes. I’ve literally never played this game winged on Xbox because I don’t know anyone who plays it. All week next week I should be on so hit me up if you see me!

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Use Inara.cz to figure out which materials you need to go for every grade or engineering upgrade. You’ll need enough materials to do grade one once, g2 twice, g3 three times, g4 four times, etc. so it can be a lot of different materials you need. Then go zoom around the galaxy collecting that stuff or trading other materials and data in at the material traders until you have all you need. Then go to the engineer person and upgrade your ship. You can also prepurchase modules you plan to upgrade at your home station, unfit them and store them, then transfer them to the engineer’s station to refit and engineer them. That way you can engineer up a bunch of different modules for different ships.

You can pin the entire g1-5 recipe blueprint for one module for each engineer. So you can remotely upgrade stuff on other ships. I airways keep FSD, thrusters, multicannons, and hull upgrades pinned. You can only add experimental effects at the engineer. I’d look into the requirements for these too before going because they are optional but really good.

You usually cannot transfer entire other ships to engineer bases because they don’t contain a shipyard. If I’m planning on upgrading something huge like a corvette, I usually make the trip to the closest nearby shipyard to the engineer in a smaller ship with a better jump range, transfer the corvette out there, then take it the last jump or whatever to the engineer. This can be a bit pricey in transfer costs.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Yeah that’s happening to me too. I have an assassination mission, go to the system, often get interdicted by the target. As soon as their shields go down they start trying to flee. It seemed to me, anecdotally at least, that at the third interdiction on the same target they stayed to fight. Since then I’ve just been targeting their FSD.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

A wanted corvette
Sol judges not, silent breath
A happy limpet

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i used the hud thingy, but even with every fissure rocketed the indicator was just going very slightly into the blue, and when they set off it just said 'detonation failed'

i dont know how i could have got the indicator to go any higher

Maybe was a dud, you’re coordinating the fissure types with how long you charge the missile before shooting it in? The low armor fissures fire a missile in charged to just the first bar, medium the scone bar, heavy needs all three bars charged.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Shine posted:

Are you sure? From what I've seen and read, the fissure strength seems to act more like a multiplier for your charges, rather than requiring a particular charge. Like, if you fire a 3-bar into a low strength, it'll raise the meter much higher than if you fire a 3-bar into a high strength.

I've been cracking asteroids no problem by keeping an eye on the meter and charging my next shot based on how high the meter is and how strong the next fissure I target happens to be, so if my next fissure is average strength, but I still need a lot of meter, then I'll 3-bar it. Likewise, if I just need to top off the meter and I target a strong fissure, I'll 1-bar it. No issues cracking anything so far.

Think of asteroids as having HP. One with a lot of strong fissures has high HP, etc. matching the missile charging bars to the fissure strength subtracts HP linearly, but matching a high charged missile to a low strength fissure subtracts like 2x more hp. It works sort of like that.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Dick Trauma posted:

On my trip out to Maia I went through a really weird system. Definitely not enough sunscreen in the galaxy for this...

Go check out Betelgeuse. It’s down near there. You can land on a planet that is as close as you can get.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Oh I have a pic from when I visited Betelgeuse. This planet is 2,900ls away from the center of the sun.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I guess frontier only used one model type for the fissure crackable asteroids. They are teardrop shaped and all look identical. Can be spot by sight alone

Blind Rasputin fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 17, 2018

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Blimpkin posted:

Type-10 Defender mining owns really really hard. It’s hardly outfitted properly at the moment so it handles like a 200m Grand Marquis but being able to launch out 6 collectors, and have a 4A refinery is just incredible with the mining overhaul.

I’m still unarmed save for an SLF, but I haven’t had anything to worry about yet. A few more trips to the rings, and I’ll be able to step up some core modules to A. My last trip netted 9m cr for an hour or so.

This is what I do, but mine is a turret stuffed military grade laden g5 shield generator gently caress off platform. It will come in handy if you ever log out and back in to a ring and get scanned by the spawning NPCs. Shrug and keep mining.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Libluini posted:

A black hole bends space so hard light can't escape, so yes, barring accretion discs you'd have to assume that they are all invisible

It is mind bending. A light particle follows the wave particle duality, it is also massless. Gravity of a black hole is so strong that when it accelerates light, it forces light to act as a particle, and the acceleration gives the particle energy and thus by Einstein’s equation, mass. It is then pulled in and cannot escape. During this time, since it is acting as a particle, it carries no wavelength and thus compromises its color information, causing an extreme redshift into blackness. Light particles that are not pulled in but orbited around it and escaping causes a lens, as the light particles closer to the black hole take a longer path and escape later than the ones further away. When you stare at this gravitational lensing effect your eyes are actually seeing the rarest of light particles. Those that just a short minute ago actually had mass.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Fenom posted:

Dont forget this! Mmm delicious space popcorn.

Space dumplings

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Mining is good

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

My newest ship is Midnight Coup. Just got done traveling in circles around the bubble to get the engineering done. G3 bi-weave shields, G3 dirty drives with drag drive.. the Mamba loving owns. Boosts to nearly 700 and can out turn a federal corvette NPC so hard they’ll never hit you while your heavy multi cannon and two beams rip them apart.

”Commander, lower your speed while entering the station!”

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

https://twitter.com/blind_rasputin/status/1074826933316116481?s=21

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

timn posted:

1 pip in ENG, didn't even boost out of the slot, nice flying grandma

https://twitter.com/blind_rasputin/status/1074869183773429760?s=21

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

You so get a big payout. If you find any water worlds or earth like planets you should detail surface scan them. I got 550k for a water world not too far from the bubble. It’s kind of insane.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

iospace posted:

Lucky warp-in

Planet side exploration, with some silicate geysers in the distance.

Owns.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

D. Ebdrup posted:

And then it was time for :glomp:
They decide to have a little hug because why not:

And so I didn't get left out, I got invited into the snuggest of hugs too:

All in all, it was a good day in Elite today.

Mods?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

DonVincenzo posted:

Here's a closer look. Everything is fine.

Lmao. This is a good thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I tried one of the new “destroy turrets on a mothership” mission. So broken. You get to the signal source for the mothership, scan the turrets, there’s like a hundred NPC’s brawling around you. The moment you shoot one turret every single NPC in the zone targets you. Half of them because you’re now their direct enemy as it’s their mothership, the other half because you just incurred a 400c bounty and are wanted.

Impossible mission.