Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chupacabra
May 20, 2005

Also make sure you bring some Sulphur and Phosphorous for synthesis. You will probably run out of SRV ammo shooting pylons and sentinels, and that is the only way to reload.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chupacabra
May 20, 2005

Libluini posted:

Distant Worlds 2 is kind of funny, in that I think it's awesome that it exists, but my own plans make me hope a lot of explorers are drawn into the same direction, so I have more pristine space to visit in my own target quadrant. :v:

On Phantom Kraits, here's my own build (engineering approximately 55% finished):

Min-Maxor, the Phantom Krait (not the real name)

A couple of thoughts on your build:

If you are just exploring, you don't need all the scanners. Removing them will free up some Megawatts. All you need is a heatsink launcher and maybe a point defense if you are visiting Guardian ruins.

Try to avoid Overcharging powerplants. It ruins your heat efficiency, which can kill you while fuel scooping. The only time you should use it is if your ship can't fit a bigger power plant (like on the Vulture). Low Emissions is a better option for exploring if you have the MWs to spare. It makes the heat efficiency a lot better so you can stay in the "hot zone" longer while you fuel scoop. It's not essential if you have a big scoop that scoops fast, but it builds in some margin for error. If you need MWs, a tick of Armored engineering works well too.

Drop the weapons. The undersized distributor won't be able to handle the energy draw (you will be out of power in 6 seconds, even with all pips to weapons) and weapons are dead weight while exploring. Maybe mount a single 1F pulse laser if you think you might need to make a stop at a Guardian Beacon though.

I would personally go with 4A thrusters. They are more expensive, but they are lighter. You also don't even really need to engineer them unless you need to run away from gankers in open.

Maybe stick with the stock 5C fuel tank. Downgrading takes you from 7 jumps on a full tank to about 3.5. I would happily sacrifice a couple of LYs in range for peace of mind when I inevitably hit that string of non-scoopable stars.

Try this: https://s.orbis.zone/2bqc

Also, here is a link to a pretty solid "multi-role" Phantom: https://s.orbis.zone/2bqk

Chupacabra
May 20, 2005

TipsyMcStagger posted:

This is the information recently that I've been trying to find out when you engineer something. I see on coriolis on A to E grades "Efficiency 0.40, 0.45, 0.50, 0.75, 1.0" and was wondering what exactly it did.. Does it effect also heat generation by weapons?

Yes, I believe it does. Basically, you should heat up slower and cool down faster the more efficient your power plant is. It is very noticeable when you are fuel scooping.

Here's a link to a detailed write up I found on Frontier's forum that can explain it better: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/286628-Research-Detailed-Heat-Mechanics