Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

nominal posted:

Bought Elite: Dangerous on sale. Did the tutorial missions up to the combat one, at which point the first aggressively hostile ship (the second ship in the first combat mission), smoked me thoroughly about 10 times in a row so I just said gently caress it and decided to skip the rest of the tutorial. Jumped in, took a mission to deliver some stuff to... somewhere. Farted around for a bout 30 minutes trying to figure out the UI and eventually managed to plot a course to the system I needed to deliver the shipment of t-shirt cannons or whatever to. I got halfway there and remembered that fuel was a thing and about 3 seconds after that the UI warned me that my "main tank" was empty so hey I guess there's reserve tanks or something. Fart around in the UI for another 10 minutes and find that I'm not far from a thing that might be a space station, maybe I can fuel there? So I fly there. Turns out it's an factory or something and either I can't fuel there or I don't know how. Did some googling and found out that a fuel scoop is a thing. I don't know if I have one and I don't know how to find out so I guess I'll just fly over to a star and see what happens. Apparently either I don't have one or I'm doing it wrong, so... plan B. Maybe I have enough fuel to make it to a proper port? I pull up the map and jump to the next system. Oooooh sweet there is a port here! I set course. I overjump like 3 times and eventually do it right and am slightly behind the docking entryway thingy on the startport. I get lined up and throttle up to enter and promptly run out of fuel and spend the next 3 minutes trying to figure out how to self destruct.

The really amazing thing here is that I really enjoyed that whole thing and am looking forward to more dumb space adventures

The best tip for newbies is to bind a key to 75%(or was it 70%?) throttle and to press that key when you're about 7 seconds away from your destination. It will automatically reduce your speed so you can drop out of supercruise and never overshoot your destination again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

clone on the phone posted:

I have the rank and cash for a corvette but there’s something about the brick shithouse look of the type 10 drawing me in.

Yeah I'm super tempted to make an all-turret flying fortress type 10 miner right now

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

:discourse:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

boar guy posted:

get one of these: https://www.radiosidewinder.com/product/hotas-for-elite-dangerous/

it's surprisingly okay for the price, and you will know within a couple of hours of using it if you want to return it and upgrade to something silly.

oh noooo why did I read this post.

I told myself I wouldn't buy a HOTAS just for Elite because all the ones I saw were like $150+, but $60 with some really good reviews sounds just right.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Dick Trauma posted:

I only play solo and it's a bit funny to run missions for the near-infinite collection of NPC organizations and their goofy names. I had to laugh that Darnielle's Progress is controlled by The Ant Hill Mob, which as far as I know is a callback to the old Wacky Races cartoon I loved when I was a kid. I run missions for mafias, commies, space hippies... you name it. It's too bad they can't flesh out the lore behind them because it would be hilarious.

This is one of the organizations I came across

Apparently it was named by a human

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

ex post facho posted:

oh my god i flew all the way to maia and there are no meta alloys in the station? :negative:

You have to go to Darnielle's Progress specifically. At least that's where I got the meta alloy

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Well I didn't make it and now I'm going to die

Owns. Game owns. This isn't even a joke.

Call the fuel rats!

https://fuelrats.com/

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Dick Trauma posted:

With the money I made from that run out to Maia would it be crazy to move up from my Viper 4 to an Asp Explorer? I do mostly hauling, passenger and surface exploration. Combat only when I have to. I jump around between the roles as the mood strikes me. I haven't done any engineering yet as I'm still collecting mats.

The Viper is more of a combat ship so yeah ditch it if you're not that focused on it. The AspX has fantastic views from its cockpit for exploration

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

orange juche posted:

Going out in the black for a long time will also teach you to be a very good pilot because those little 1-2% bumps add up massively over an entire journey. They're also constructing an outpost one jump out from Sag A* when they get to the galactic core.

Wait, you can construct outposts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

dialhforhero posted:

Do you guys use Joystick or Mouse/KB combo?

I have an old lovely X52 with the classic z-axis pot that poo poo the bed and now I can’t yaw. I've cleaned it and taken it apart but it is done. It is impossible to find a replacement pot and I am well out of warranty. I was going to buy that Thrustmaster T16000M combo to replace it when I get some spare change. I have tried this game on KB/Mouse but I am a sim pilot through and through and it just feels terrible. Is it something I should really try to do? It doesn't have that finesse of a Joystick. Not to mention the immersion or feel of the game anyway.

If you do use KB/Mouse could you give me a reason why and some tips to be not poo poo at it, plus maybe some keybinds?

If you use Joystick can you give me your thoughts on replacements? That T16000M (with or without the pedals but definitely with HOTAS) is pretty much right in my price point

Thanks.

I got that T16000M for Christmas and while the HOTAS is 100% superior for combat, I sometimes just stick to the KB/M for almost everything else, as it's easier to tab to my second screen if I'm already on the KB/M. Maybe it would be different if I had enough desk space to have the HOTAS and KB/M out at the same time though.

If you want to make KB/M combat work, I'd recommend binding your lateral/vertical/forward/back thrusters, and a key to put your throttle to 0. I ended up unbinding yaw as well and left it on my mouse

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 4, 2019