Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I'll try ironic mining with my corvette when I get back to the Bubble... :getin:

I bought my first Fed Corvette yesterday exactly for this reason. As far as I can tell its the best current mining ship, combining the ability to mount all needed mining accessories with the bonus of being able to keep to huge mount points for defense. The only downside is that you'll run out of mining ammo far before you ever hit storage capacity. Limpets are so abundant that I'll send them single use missions.

I made a lot of money in Elite around a year and a half ago and then quit playing after burning out on the early parts of the engineering grind. Now I've got some time dig in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Man, the beginning of Elite really is just as punishing as ever. I decided to restart with this patch, and only 45 minutes into my new game I'm already in place where it will be faster to restart than to dig myself out of the mission abandonment fines I've gotten. It all boils down to having to actually plan your missions around your FSD range, something which stops playing a roll after a few hours in the game.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

timn posted:

Uh, I can't imagine any realistic volume of mission abandonment fines being something worth restarting for. You can make millions of credits easy doing all kinds of other things instead. There's no reason to ever restart in this game.

You'd think that, but you start with 1000 Credits and the ability to jump around 7ly. I picked up a mission, left the station, realized I couldn't complete it and abandoned it. Now I've got 2 units of cargo taking all my capacity and a 4k fine.

I land at the next closest station to pick a new mission and find one to deliver the same commodity, plus I can make the jump. Great, I think I'll deliver the original cargo and then come back. Get to the destination station and it turns out they want their version of the item.

At this point I can sort all this out, or just start fresh, saving time. 15 minutes later I'm in the next game with 100k credit because I paid attention on the first mission I picked.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

The patch this morning seems to have added a change the removes dead targets that can be hit with the abrasion blaster much faster. This means once you crack an asteroid you don't have to hunt down the last remaining chunk from a list of 15. Its a delightful QOL improvement I didn't even know I wanted yet.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

AttackBacon posted:

Yeah getting this amount of content for $14 or whatever the bundle costs right now is just crazy. I had some Steam credit left over from a refund so it was even more of a no brainer, I think my out of pocket was like $5 which is a pretty drat good $/hours-of-enjoyment ratio.

Be careful how you measure that spend, though! I basically started my current PC build based around Elite VR at this time last year. I've spent ~$800 on Elite specific peripherals(Thurstmaster HOTAS Warthog, MGF Crosswinds, Tobii Eye tracker) and more than $3,000 on the PC itself including displays.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Halman posted:

I've taken a super long break from the game and looking to get back into it, what would be a good place to go grind Fed rank? I'm sitting at 100% rookie and feel like i should do something about that.

I'm using this guide for Empire and am just about to hit Duke. I imagine it's just as good for Fed, and will be doing that next.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

I'm also curious about what people think of this expansion. I haven't followed any of the development, so I don't know anything past what they showed in the David Bowie trailer other than they aren't doing ship legs yet.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

I went ahead and pulled the trigger. Fanatical has it on sale for $33.99 which is cheap enough considering I paid like $5 for the game years ago.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Mailer posted:

Finally E:D has caught up with Star Citizen. Now we just need a ship with a ramp...

They didn't flail around like a fish after getting shot, 6/10.

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 25, 2021

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Blue On Blue posted:

is there a 'goto' profile for joystick mappings, specifically for the X55 Rhino?

I've tried using what seems to be most highly regarded one from some dude named AussieDroids, but he seems to have no updated it in quite some time... When I loaded it up nothing really worked properly and I couldn't even undock properly.

I suppose I can just make my own, but a simple no-nonsense profile would really help

I also haven't played since the early beta days really... so I have a lot of catching up to do!

I just started setting up my Warthog HOTAS yesterday using AussieDroinds config. He's got a beta version up on GitHub at https://github.com/Aussiedroid/AD-EDWarthogEnhancedScript/tree/odyssey. You'll have to create an account, then download the repo using the download link from "Code". I followed the instructions included there and got most things working.

I've made my own TARGET profiles in the past, but it's a real pain the rear end to work with.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

At least I know I can safely put this on the shelf for a month and not miss much.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

I'm finally getting into Oddysey content and actually really enjoy it! It's really neat raiding settlements and doing all the mission activities.

There is definitely some more optimization to be done though, as I still get drops into 30FPS on my RTX 3070 + i7-8700K.

Earlier someone posted regarding finding upgraded equipment for sale. Is there a guide for that? I've only found a couple of T2 pieces so far.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

kemikalkadet posted:

The shops reset on Thursday so that's the best time to go hunting. Then just fly out somewhere low-traffic and out of the way and use the apex taxi to jump between stations. There's also a thread on the official forums somewhere that people post stuff they find but don't buy.

Wow, so they're true one-offs? That's a serious type of scarcity.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

I pulled the trigger on a VKB Gunfighter III a few days ago to replace my Warthog.

Following up on this post:

I’m really happy with the VKB Gunfighter. I hosed up during the order and made the initial purchase without the twist module pre-installed, so I have a week or so with default variant and 3 days with it.

Overall, it’s a massive improvement over the Warthog on a flat desk. Small transitions feel much tighter. I had not realized how much the weight of the of the metal stick affected fine movement control.

If you’re in the market for a new stick, this would be my recommendation.

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 28, 2021

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Josh Christ posted:

Does it have a throttle?

No, I’ll still use the Warthog throttle for now. It does have a brake lever that I think actuates like a throttle, but I wouldn’t want to use it for that.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

So I just jumped into Elite Odyssey VR for the first time and now I'm really confused. I thought the reddit uproar from last week was caused because you couldn't use Flat Screen mode in VR, but it worked fine for me?

It's probably not the way I want to play that content, but it is functional.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Can anyone point me towards some ways to make decent money, preferably mining? I finally completed the Imperial rank grind, only to find that my lousy 230k credits would barely get me an E class fitted Cutter.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

pork never goes bad posted:

Laser mining plat is probably your best bet, if you're set on mining.

There's a great tool on edtools.cc to find a great mining spot for platinum here https://edtools.cc/miner

Down To Earth astronomy has some pretty good info on laser mining and some builds for future ships here: https://cmdrs-toolbox.com/guides/mining. I don't agree with all his choices, but it's quibbling over optimization and as you play you'll develop preferences. The Elite Miners subreddit is actually pretty good and has a good wiki - here's their standard recommended starter adder for mining. https://s.orbis.zone/frw_

As I write this I realize you mean 230mil so maybe you can run a python instead, kinda like this - https://s.orbis.zone/frx3 which will do roughly 30mil per hold.

Sorry yes, I just pulled Inara and have about 400,000,000 in assets. I’d like to get to 1 bil so I can A fit a couple of large ships. I’ve got a fully engineered Python, but I just jumped into an Anaconda, and wow is the slew speed a game changer for mining!

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Cutedge posted:

If they have gotten AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution support integrated into their engine, than I wonder how much of the performance improvements are based on that alone. I haven't actually played a game with AMD FSR so I don't know how it compares to DLSS, but DLSS does wonders for performance on supported hardware. Getting FSR in the engine is a smart choice by them. It just won't help them on consoles as far as I know.

CAS had been in for a minute, and only speaking for the performance on a 3070, it doesn't seem to do much, if anything. DLSS Performance has been a massive boost in every application I've used it in.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Cutedge posted:

Yeah I don't think CAS does much for performance. The AMD super resolution stuff is their take on DLSS, but it's like brand new so who knows how good it'll be. DLSS is on like version 3 now. I also have a 3070 so I'm curious. I had a 2060 up until recently and was trying to do VR and the performance on Odyssey was bad enough that I put it down for awhile. But with the 3070, using a wire instead of AirLink, and this patch I'm hopeful to jump in again.

I've been using the Odyssey client on my Index for about a month, and while performance doesn't match Horizon, it's definitely playable.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

In the last few months I've bought a VKB Gunfighter, which is great, and a Virpil CM3 that rivals my Xbox Elite Series 2 for the best input control device I have ever owned.

My problem is that every time you change input controls you must revise 3rd party software. For my prior setup, I had a Warthog HOTAS that was solely managed through was TARGET.

Now I'm working out Joystick Gremlin and figuring out how to suppress duplicate inputs. It's a nightmare, despite my nice hardware, and makes me not want to play the game.

E: We should also speak to the fact the Elite will only address 32 buttons. My Virpil has 60+ and has to be split into 2 virtual controllers.

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 14, 2021

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Anticheese posted:

X4 has an expansion coming soon

e: it's out, and the base game is on a 60% discount on Steam.

How is the flight model? Is it actually fun to fly around?

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

I fired up Odyssey in VR for the first time since launch today and was surprised at how much performance has improved. Settings defaulted to medium / high and in-station performance was good.

That said, its pretty sad that it took them a year to get the game playable in VR on a 3080 / 12700K PC.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Be aware that Elite has a limit of addressing 32 buttons per controller. Anything over that will need to be virtualized with vJoy and assigned to a 3rd virtual controller.

I bought a Virpil Mongoose CM3 a year ago and only recently bothered to fully set it up in Elite due to the complex config.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Hmm, “Key Feature Overhaul” slated for early 2023. I wonder what that will be? Engineering changes again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

It's been quite a while, but I had extremely poor luck manually editing elite key binding XMLs. From what I've read, they use a custom parser that is very picky about changes made outside the client.