Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Drunkboxer posted:

I don’t know what it is about this franchise that has kept me from watching it. I saw the first one, thought it was fine but not great, and never bothered watching any of the other ones.

I got free digital codes for a bunch of them and I don’t know that I can be bothered to watch past 3. It scratched my nostalgia itch for the kind of garbage the Sci-Fi channel would show in the early-2000s but that’s about all I can say for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

alf_pogs posted:

i couldn't get through Scare Me, i just absolutely hated both leads and the dialogue felt completely written and false

I sat through it for one of Challenges and the synopsis sounded like it'd be up my alley but it just didn't work for me. I do feel the premise has potential but it'd have to be in different writer's hands.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

One day I'll just buy a $5 set of them and watch through just to say I did but there's a reason I went from seeing those films in the theaters to not caring when they available to stream.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Dark and The Wicked was pretty solid. Felt like a nice middle ground between the arthouse horror stuff I have watched a lot of and more mainstream Horror. Very stylish, but it was kind of refreshing that it was just straight horror and not "it's a metaphor!" for once. Not that I don't like those movies. There have just been so many lately.

Nothing amazing, but all around a pretty solid flick with some standout moments.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I think Saw VI is weirdly incredible, the worst for me are 3D and Jigsaw.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Origami Dali posted:

Well Brick was purposefully stylized to both continue and subvert noir traditions.

Brick didn't subvert anything. It followed all the tropes so slavishly that if you'd ever seen a Noir movie you could have recited the full plot of the movie after watching the first 20 minutes.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Drunkboxer posted:

I don’t know what it is about this franchise that has kept me from watching it. I saw the first one, thought it was fine but not great, and never bothered watching any of the other ones.

You're not missing much, I can barely remember what happened in most of them.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

dorium posted:

The Night Comes For Us could be considered a slasher.

This is from a few pages back but hard agree. It was probably in the top 3 for violent movies I watched last year. It's gore surpasses most slashers with it's realism and it's squishyness.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
If Rob Zombie and Ozzy Osbourne got into a straight fight who do yall think would win?

TheOmegaWalrus fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Feb 25, 2021

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

If Rob Zombie and Ozzy Osbourne got into a straight fight who do yall think would win?

Ozzy is very old, with holes in his brain from years and years of drug, so my money would be on Rob Zombie.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Jigsaw was pretty good as a movie but as a Saw movie was terrible because it didnt have that ultra-saturated grimy Saw filter that gives the series its distinctive look of grime and filth. It felt too clean and polished to be a "proper" Saw movie but if you take it as a spin-off its not too bad.

Saw II will always be my favorite.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Drunkboxer posted:

I find them profoundly annoying. Everyone's always overacting and just saying obvious things out loud. Yeah, I get that you don't trust each other, you don't have to keep saying "HOW CAN I TRUST YOU?"

Fuckin characters in slashers don't run around saying "I'm scared of getting stabbed!"

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

Jigsaw was pretty good as a movie but as a Saw movie was terrible because it didnt have that ultra-saturated grimy Saw filter that gives the series its distinctive look of grime and filth. It felt too clean and polished to be a "proper" Saw movie but if you take it as a spin-off its not too bad.

I found Jigsaw to be borderline insulting because I couldn't get over the fact that they did the thing where actually half the movie has been taking place at a completely different time period than the other half! again. Like they expected me to forget that they'd done that before.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Sometimes I'm in the mood for some mindless entertainment and the Saw films fit that bill for me. They're generally not very good but I find them fun anyway. Similar to how I feel about the Resident Evil movies.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

david_a posted:

I got free digital codes for a bunch of them and I don’t know that I can be bothered to watch past 3. It scratched my nostalgia itch for the kind of garbage the Sci-Fi channel would show in the early-2000s but that’s about all I can say for it.

I actually watched Saw II last night after I posted that and you’re totally right about that early 2000s nostalgia feelings. I mean, I guess it’s nostalgia. It’s objectively an ugly looking movie which I guess is the point but it’s a very specific type of ugly from the early 2000s. Did the first movie look that way? I haven’t seen it since it was in theaters.

Kvlt! posted:

Last night I wasn’t feeling the grimy, the filter made it seem almost metallic to me. Nu-metalic if you will. Definitely a distinctive look though.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The first part of the 2000's really loved things being overtly grimy. There was an over-the-topness to it, like they took an abandoned building and made it more abandoned.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

The first part of the 2000's really loved things being overtly grimy. There was an over-the-topness to it, like they took an abandoned building and made it more abandoned.

I love it and I wish this filter was applied to every movie ever

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I loathe it with all of my aesthetic being.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
noise to MAX
green to MAX
yellow to MAX

congratulations on your film, Mr. Wan

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

I love it and I wish this filter was applied to every movie ever

Now I want to see Lawrence of Arabia like this.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Shook on Shudder is just a nothing movie, just literally nothing going on. It's both predictable and completely uninteresting and I can't even muster an opinion on it beyond that. I have no idea what the normally-great curators at Shudder saw in this thing.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

gey muckle mowser posted:

Sometimes I'm in the mood for some mindless entertainment and the Saw films fit that bill for me. They're generally not very good but I find them fun anyway. Similar to how I feel about the Resident Evil movies.

This is me with the Final Destination films. I can happily look at my phone during the talking bits and as soon as you hear music you can look up and you'll see someone get killed horribly. Perfect.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

is the trailer for Bit better than the movie because that trailer was so awful I might just skip the movie

Attack the Block trailer was the opposite though I'm hyped as gently caress for this one

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Olympic Mathlete posted:

This is me with the Final Destination films. I can happily look at my phone during the talking bits and as soon as you hear music you can look up and you'll see someone get killed horribly. Perfect.

whenever someone says "Should I watch the FD movies" I just say "watch the first one, then look up the kill compilations on youtube for the rest"

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The one where the jock dude gets his intenstines sucked out through his arsehole on the bottom of the pool was a fantastic kill. Full marks to the people putting together the chain of events leading to all the deaths, there's a whole bunch of them that are superb.

Kvlt! posted:

Attack the Block trailer was the opposite though I'm hyped as gently caress for this one

Great film. I was actually shocked to find out the monster effects were practical too.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Kvlt! posted:

is the trailer for Bit better than the movie because that trailer was so awful I might just skip the movie

I just watched the trailer and you're right, it's trash. I liked the film though. This is why I avoid trailers.

I really hope you enjoy Attack the Block, it rules

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I really like John Boyega too, Im not a fan of the new Star Wars movies but I thought he did a great job (him and Oscar Isaac both gave good performances with such lovely writing to work with), so Attack the Block is first up on the watching block for my challenge

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Boyega blows the doors off in Attack the Block and is much more charming with his natural accent.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I have no idea who I was supposed to be rooting for in Wrong Turn 2021.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

The one where the jock dude gets his intenstines sucked out through his arsehole on the bottom of the pool was a fantastic kill. Full marks to the people putting together the chain of events leading to all the deaths, there's a whole bunch of them that are superb.

The filmmakers evidently read Chuck Palahniuk.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Wow, Army of the Dead looks both interesting and dumb as hell at the same time.

On one hand, it's got bautista, on the other hand it looks like dead rising made into a movie.

I... gently caress I have no idea if I'm gonna watch it or not.

I remember reading a book with a similar plot a few years ago, but damned if I can remember anything from it.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Attack the Block is a lot of fun and that bit at the end where she asks 'How old are you?' gets the point of the movie across so deftly that I remember it as much as any of the sweet rear end vantablack monsters.

edit:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Boyega blows the doors off in Attack the Block and is much more charming with his natural accent.

Yeah this too. He's great.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Kvlt! posted:

They strayed more and more from that look as the series went on, imo. At least Jigsaw looked better than Saw 3D where all the effects looked cheap as hell and every scene had boring, flat lighting.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Wow, Army of the Dead looks both interesting and dumb as hell at the same time.

On one hand, it's got bautista, on the other hand it looks like dead rising made into a movie.

I... gently caress I have no idea if I'm gonna watch it or not.

I remember reading a book with a similar plot a few years ago, but damned if I can remember anything from it.

It's on Netflix so it's a low-investment watch and is a return to the last watchable Snyder film so I'll give it a shot.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Spatulater bro! posted:

The filmmakers evidently read Chuck Palahniuk.

TBF Palahnuik got that from a popular urban legend from the 70s.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

TBF Palahnuik got that from a popular urban legend from the 70s.

which in turn came from a patent filed by a Mr. Seymour Butts for a failed suction based colon hydrotherapy machine

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Kvlt! posted:

which in turn came from a patent filed by a Mr. Seymour Butts for a failed suction based colon hydrotherapy machine

:lol:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Seymour Butts was 80s not 70s dude!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

It'd be nice to see a actual trailer for Army of the Dead the one they released doesn't really grab me. its just kind of a teaser also a robbery during a Zombie Apocalypse is kind of ridiculous because what are you going to use the money for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The weird directions his career has taken have been a little disappointing considering what an outstanding breakout performance Attack the Block was. I do need to watch Small Axe still.