Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Spatulater bro! posted:

This doesn't look phenomenal, but I'm still excited for it.

Yea if not for Crampton I wouldn't have even mentioned it BUT, it's also pretty rare that we get some old-school Max Shreck-style vampires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

It's cool to see Crampton in a lead role and it looks like a interesting vampire film so I'll probably watch it.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q97g8wSLsC8

Looks like we've got some classic Nosferatu poo poo here, not to mention Barbara Crampton in the rare lead role. Might have to check this out next month when the challenge starts.

Bought this, might save it for the challenge too

Also bought Koko-di Koko-da but was too excited from what I'd heard to be able to wait on that one

drat that song's catchy

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Basebf555 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q97g8wSLsC8

Looks like we've got some classic Nosferatu poo poo here, not to mention Barbara Crampton in the rare lead role. Might have to check this out next month when the challenge starts.

My friend was watching it and tweeted like 20 minutes in that it kind of sucked, but then Crampton herself replied to him and told him to stick it out and let her know what he thought.
He thought it was horrible but was kind of obligated to sit through it at that point lol

My too online buddy posted:

So I’m watching this horror movie, Jakob’s Wife, and the star of the movie is this semi-famous genre actress, Barbara Crampton. She was in a bunch of B-movies in the 80s, a few of Stuart Gordon’s movies, most famously Re-Animator.
The thing about Barbara Crampton is that she’s really active on Twitter and everyone loves her, because she seems like a really sweet person. People really love her. Don’t get me wrong, I think she’s great.
Anyway, I’m super not into the movie, and I tweeted that I was fifteen minutes in and not feeling optimistic. So then she friggin responded and said to stick with it and to let her know what I thought when I’m done. She doesn’t follow me and I didn’t @ her, but she must be searching for people tweeting about the movie. So now I have to finish this terrible movie so I can pretend I liked it to this actress because I’m in this totally uncomfortable situation.
I’m tempted to just completely burn down my social media and never go on the internet again.

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 16, 2021

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
If it were me in that situation I'd be like "whoa I changed my mind what a fantastic movie (call me)".

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Didn't know this had been worked on for so long
https://twitter.com/barbaracrampton/status/1383127785963614210

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Nah. Maybe ADI organic era Xenos kind of, but pumpkinhead is his own thing and he isn’t bio mechanical at all

is there anything actually mechanical in a xenomorph or are you just talking about how it looks

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The giger design is bio mechanical in the way it looks. It’s not mechanical as far as I know but I don’t tap into EU stuff. Movies only for me.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

All the Giger stuff I've ever seen has been biomechanical, it's his thing.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

All the Giger stuff I've ever seen has been biomechanical, it's his thing.

wtf does biomechanical even mean ive only ever heard it used watching ink master like is it just cyborg poo poo because show me the machine on a xenomorph

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s just machine imagery mixed with organics.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

still waiting to see the machine on a xenomorph

I mean the predator has armor and weapons and stuff. Isn't the xenomorph 100% organic.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Kvlt! posted:

still waiting to see the machine on a xenomorph

I mean the predator has armor and weapons and stuff. Isn't the xenomorph 100% organic.

Yes. It's biomechanical.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
I mean, it looks like it's made of gleaming metal.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I think you're perhaps being a little too literal. The xenomorphs are meant to be evocative of the interplay between organism and machine, and not simply animals with machines strapped to them. It's why you have so many scenes of xenomorphs blending into walls, ducts, pipes, and cables.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i hope and expect that in ridley scotts's prometheus 3: alien exodus, david fucks a xenomorph

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

It’s just machine imagery mixed with organics.

Right, like, you see how this image suggests bones n skulls, but also some of the bones look like coilover shocks, or exhaust manifolds, or old-timey steam radiators for apartments?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ig i was being too literal i thought you were saying a machine-organic hybrid but if im understanding correctly its an organic being that just looks like a machine?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
The original suit had all kinds of hoses and wires integrated that weren’t organic. I’m pretty sure the teeth were metallic. Those look like bolts or hose outlets on the hips.

The sequels kind of moved away from this. In retrospect it would have been interesting if one of them leaned into the mechanical part; this would have necessitated going into a bit more of a fantasy or dream logic direction.

Edit:

Kvlt! posted:

ig i was being too literal i thought you were saying a machine-organic hybrid but if im understanding correctly its an organic being that just looks like a machine?

Originally it was a nonsensical hybrid between organic and machine; that was part of the appeal. That creature in the first movie makes no rational sense.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

Depends on how much emphasis you want to put on Giger's artwork, if any. Just based on what's presented in the movies, yea it's an organic being, but it's design is based off of Giger's work so sometimes the subjects get mixed together.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Kvlt! posted:

Yeah, with Giger's art specifically it's about blurring those lines almost like an optical illusion.

e: So if you're making a film about an alien that can easily hide in the machinery of a spaceship, he's your guy. If you look at a range of his work you'll see that the alien design is very much at the organic end of the spectrum

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 17, 2021

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ive only seen the movies idk his artwork but ill check it out

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think really the last biomechanical alien was alien 3 and even that was pushing away. I get why res did it. But it’s sucks that ADI just reused the alien res suit for AvP and that look stuck.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Kvlt! posted:

ive only seen the movies idk his artwork but ill check it out

A lot of it is incredibly horny. Have fun!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Giger rules. nightmare surrealism with absolutely no restraint on the horniness

his concepts for Sil and the ALIEN TRAIN from species are very fun. also a bunch of his older alien concepts ended up being inspo for Prometheus as well.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

You should know it took me a good while to figure out that this wasn't like a photo from a convention or Halloween Horror Nights or something like that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I didn’t take it if you thought that hah. That’s NECA’s official pics for it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

I didn’t take it if you thought that hah. That’s NECA’s official pics for it.

Well anyway you should be complimented that I totally believed that you did.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Giger's concept work for Jodorowsky's Dune is pretty great
https://www.duneinfo.com/unseen/hr-giger

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
I really wanna talk about Martyrs (2008) and no one I know has seen it or would want to. I assume it's definitely come up in this thread before, what are peoples thoughts?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Not movies but I really enjoyed 30 Coins, it probably needs a second watch for me to fully understand what happened though

On to Servant next, which is promising so far

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
So last night I finally got to see Brightburn (2019), the "evil Superman" horror movie.

I've wanted to see it for quite some time but it's got something like 6 different production companies and I assumed it was in rights hell because the only way to see it was to buy it. I usually don't buy movies but I went ahead and got it last night.

I'd wholeheartedly recommend it! There aren't a lot of surprises along the way (I mean, the thing is advertised as evil Superman, you kinda have some idea what you're gonna get) but it's done extremely well IMO and I was into it the entire way and up to the last beat I wasn't sure how the end was gonna go. My only complaint was that the trailer gave a lot away.

The kid is great, he's got that otherworldly creepy look from the right angle and when he starts gaining his powers does a great job of starting to act more strange and inhuman.

During the credits they tease other dangerous metahumans (Brightburn came to Earth during a meteor shower, not just an isolated meteor) and man, I want another one of these movies. Amazing that studios will try to make cinematic universes out of the loving mummy and tetris and poo poo like that but this one might be left on the vine.

When the kid has the mask on, he's legit terrifying. The way he seems to observe each of his victims between his lightning fast attacks/freakouts is so chilling, it's like he's gathering data on how to best frighten humans. The reveal near the end that he took that waitress back to the barn and killed her so terribly is fantastically dark and gives you a real "oh we are so hosed" vibe. Every other one of his kills seems to be kinda quick and done in the heat of the moment, but the way that poor waitress is staged gives you the idea that she might have been hanging there for some time while ole evil Superboy did some research.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

TheKingslayer posted:

Giger's concept work for Jodorowsky's Dune is pretty great
https://www.duneinfo.com/unseen/hr-giger

I never understood his sand worm painting. Back in the day it was because I only saw it in a tiny compressed JPG and I couldn’t visually parse it, but seeing it in better detail still don’t get it - there’s a sand worm, sure, but it’s, uh, servicing a giant black biomechanical penis?

:nws:

I... I don’t remember this from the books.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Apr 17, 2021

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

:dksays: Sunday Chill Stream :dksays:
Queer Stream 2: Electric Boogaloo

0900 The Queen
1015 To Wong Foo Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar
1210 Wild Zero
1400 Tangerine
1535 Funeral Parade of Roses
1730 Orlando
1915 Terror Firmer
2115 Tokyo Godfathers
2300 Sleepaway Camp
0030 Women in Revolt

Content Warnings

The Queen (1968)
Unrated

To Wong Foo Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar (1995)
MPAA: PG-13 for subject matter involving men living in drag, a brief scene of spousal abuse and some language

Wild Zero (1999)
Moderate sex, nudity, violence, and gore.

Tangerine (2015)
strong language, sex, sex references, drug misuse

Funeral Parade Of Roses (1969)
Contains strong violence and sex and drug references

Orlando (1992)
MPAA: Rated PG-13 for some sensuality

Terror Firmer (1999)
strong crude sexuality, language, violence and gore

Tokyo Godfathers (2004)
Contains moderate violence

Sleepaway Camp (1983)
Contains strong violence and language

Women In Revolt (1971)
Contains very strong language and strong sex, nudity and sex references

You may want to throw in an extra content warning for Terror Firmer and Sleepaway Camp. You know what I mean.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

I really wanna talk about Martyrs (2008) and no one I know has seen it or would want to. I assume it's definitely come up in this thread before, what are peoples thoughts?

I really like it even though it ruined my day when I watched it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

You may want to throw in an extra content warning for Terror Firmer and Sleepaway Camp. You know what I mean.

Yeah, those movies are both not very progressive when it comes to some things, and also pretty explicit when it comes to... other things.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

Definitely a classic and original movie but such a bummer. Such a major bummer I don't really rewatch it.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Has anyone dived into Laugier's other movies? I saw Ghostland last year and I remember it being mediocre and not nearly on the level as Martyrs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Pope Corky the IX posted:

That's very good point. Good and bad depictions of trans people in film is the theme of the day. About two thirds of the regular Chill Stream audience are trans, myself included, and we pieced together this list with that in mind. The idea being that we'll be discussing and dissecting each as they come up. I should really try to remember that not everyone spends time on the Discord, so a lot of this isn't common knowledge.