Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

This week I decided to patch up some glaring holes in my horror movie backlog and finally watched not only Elm Street, but also Halloween and Friday the 13th for the first time.

Elm Street and Halloween were awesome. Halloween was just oozing with atmosphere, had an insane minimalist soundtrack, possibly the best killer in movie history (I love that the movie doesn't really try to motivate The Shape, or even really characterise him, making him feel insanely threatening and more like a force of nature than a human). Friday... Friday was OK at best to be honest.

When I saw Tom Savini's name in the credits I knew there'd be a lot of very good effects, and that part didn't disappoint. Gruesome movie. But overall kind of ... eh. Maybe it would've been more striking back in 1980 before a billion movies did the same idea, but then again that didn't diminish Halloween a whole lot.

Plus I'm genuinely a bit upset that they killed a real snake for their movie. gently caress you, Tom Savini.

Zwabu posted:

I really envy you a first watch of ANOES. It’s a legitimate classic IMO.

:yeah:

I really loved how heavily the movie leaned into the Dream Demon thing! The stretchy wall and body bag Tina were genuine "OH gently caress, poo poo!" moments for me which was a very pleasant surprise. But even beyond that the dream world just felt ... oppressive. It was probably the general surreality and also probably a whole course's worth of subtle cinematography, but it was always really cool to realize that poo poo, we've slipped into dreams now. Now anything can happen.

The movie was possibly not quite what I expected, but that's not a bad thing at all. I really loved it, and can't wait to see the rest of the series, uneven though it may be.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Servoret posted:

The Nicole Kidman film? Is there a subtext to it that I missed when I watched it recently?

I'm still yet to see it, so I look forward to teasing out any subtext, but I think it's prominent on those lists because the director is gay.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

This week I decided to patch up some glaring holes in my horror movie backlog and finally watched not only Elm Street, but also Halloween and Friday the 13th for the first time.

Elm Street and Halloween were awesome. Halloween was just oozing with atmosphere, had an insane minimalist soundtrack, possibly the best killer in movie history (I love that the movie doesn't really try to motivate The Shape, or even really characterise him, making him feel insanely threatening and more like a force of nature than a human). Friday... Friday was OK at best to be honest.

When I saw Tom Savini's name in the credits I knew there'd be a lot of very good effects, and that part didn't disappoint. Gruesome movie. But overall kind of ... eh. Maybe it would've been more striking back in 1980 before a billion movies did the same idea, but then again that didn't diminish Halloween a whole lot.

Plus I'm genuinely a bit upset that they killed a real snake for their movie. gently caress you, Tom Savini.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet but welcome to the horror thread! For the most part we have the same 15 or 20 posters around here who have argued about their slasher rankings ad nauseum for years so we always love fresh meat. I hope you stick around and continue your journey into the unfathomable depths that the genre has to offer.

Your opinion of Friday the 13th is spot on and a lot of us here share it. The good news is the series gets better and doesn't really feel fully formed until at least Part 3.

Another thing I want to mention is that a thread will be opening in a few days called the May Challenge. It involves posters watching horror movies and posting their thoughts on each movie they watch, so I encourage you to participate in that since your basically doing it anyway.

And one last thing, watch From Beyond as soon as you possibly can, thank me later.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

That wasn't Tom Savini's fault. It was, as far as I know, Sean Cunningham's or Alvin Geiler's call.

I'm glad you enjoyed these, or at least got to watch them for the first time!

I hope you continue this trend and participate in the May Horror Challenge coming up, cuz it's a great excused to watch classics you've missed.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Considering you've had some fairly glaring holes in your history, what horror do/did you normally watch?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Franchescanado posted:

That wasn't Tom Savini's fault. It was, as far as I know, Sean Cunningham's or Alvin Geiler's call.

That's good to hear, I have a lot of respect for Savini and it would've sucked to have that tainted.

quote:

I'm glad you enjoyed these, or at least got to watch them for the first time!

I hope you continue this trend and participate in the May Horror Challenge coming up, cuz it's a great excused to watch classics you've missed.

I definitely enjoyed them, and I have the rest of the Elm Street series waiting for a watch. I've also got more Halloween on the way, and I guess I'll check out more Friday movies as well if the series finds its way as it goes.

And yeah, I'll stick around for the Challenge. It's fun to finally watch a bunch of movies that were definitely too much for me as a kid.

Iron Crowned posted:

Considering you've had some fairly glaring holes in your history, what horror do/did you normally watch?

Honestly, I don't. I was a pretty fragile kid who couldn't sleep for a few weeks after my friends made me watch Superstition back in like 1986 or something so I learned early on that horror wasn't really my thing, with the exception of horror comedies like Evil Dead 2, Braindead etc.

I've seen some stuff, and have really enjoyed many of the modern movies and series I've watched (The Witch, Babadook, Get Out, Us, Haunting of Hill house etc) but my experience with 1980s and 1990s horror is very limited, and with older stuff as well. Over the years I've hoarded a bunch of stuff that was supposed to be good (like House, the Japanese movie with the cool cat poster) but I haven't watched it yet.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 21, 2021

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

That's good to hear, I have a lot of respect for Savini and it would've sucked to have that tainted.

I definitely enjoyed them, and I have the rest of the Elm Street series waiting for a watch. I've also got more Halloween on the way, and I guess I'll check out more Friday movies as well if the series finds its way as it goes.

And yeah, I'll stick around for the Challenge. It's fun to finally watch a bunch of movies that were definitely too much for me as a kid.

Friday 1-4 is a good time, with 2 and 4 being my personal favorites. I also love Part 5, but it's incredibly polarizing. Part 6 is pretty much the gold standard of the series, where Jason became the Jason that you're most familiar with. Everything after Part 6 is worth watching, but how much you like them depends on how serious you're taking them, and what you enjoy about the series.

We half-jokingly rank the Friday the 13th movies all the time in here because they're like a Rorschach test for a horror fan's taste, and no one can really agree outside of a general consensus, like Parts 2, 4 and 6 being the best of the series, and the order is constantly shifting.

I like them all, and just rewatched Part 1 with the new commentary provided in the Shout Friday the 13th Box Set. It's probably my most rewatched horror franchise because they're so approachable.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Honestly, I don't. I was a pretty fragile kid who couldn't sleep for a few weeks after my friends made me watch Superstition back in like 1986 or something so I learned early on that horror wasn't really my thing, with the exception of horror comedies like Evil Dead 2, Braindead etc.

I've seen some stuff, and have really enjoyed many of the modern movies and series I've watched (The Witch, Babadook, Get Out, Us, Haunting of Hill house etc) but my experience with 1980s and 1990s horror is very limited, and with older stuff as well. Over the years I've hoarded a bunch of stuff that was supposed to be good (like House, the Japanese movie with the cool cat poster) but I haven't watched it yet.

Re-animator and From Beyond, if you haven't seen them, are must-watches for 1980's horror. Also Fright Night, Demons 1 & 2, and The Blob remake.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 21, 2021

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Even some people say they don't like Part 6. You can basically find at least one person to say that every Friday the 13th is either the worst of the best. Like, there's even a few that say Part 5 or Jason X are the best.

I guess nobody ever says Jason Goes to Hell is the best? I dunno if you're out there and you think Jason Goes to Hell is the best then let us know.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Even some people say they don't like Part 6. You can basically find at least one person to say that every Friday the 13th is either the worst of the best. Like, there's even a few that say Part 5 or Jason X are the best.

I guess nobody ever says Jason Goes to Hell is the best? I dunno if you're out there and you think Jason Goes to Hell is the best then let us know.

I'll get probated if I'm wrong, but I think MacheteZombie is a big fan of Jason Goes To Hell? He loves Creighton Duke.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I think the only reason Goes to Hell is roundly rejected is because it's not a Jason movie, it's an Evil Dead movie. If you can somehow come to peace with that, it's one of the more enjoyable F13 films, with arguably the best gore of the entire franchise.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Franchescanado posted:

Re-animator and From Beyond, if you haven't seen them, are must-watches for 1980's horror. Also Fright Night, Demons 1 & 2, and The Blob remake.

That's now the second call for From Beyond in one page, so I guess I'll have to. I think I've seen the Fright Night remake but not the original, but I definitely remember that cover from old VHS catalogues.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

I think the only reason Goes to Hell is roundly rejected is because it's not a Jason movie, it's an Evil Dead movie. If you can somehow come to peace with that, it's one of the more enjoyable F13 films, with arguably the best gore of the entire franchise.

Yea I think it's just that the lack of Jason prevents it from ever being called THE best of the series. Even Part 5 has Jason in it in some form.

Although the little bit of Jason that appears in Jason Goes to Hell is a fan favorite scene, often cited as one of the best Jason scenes in the whole series.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

That's now the second call for From Beyond in one page, so I guess I'll have to.

There's really just a ton of stuff from the 70's 80's and 90's that we'd love to expose you to, like I said we don't often get new blood to corrupt and it's fun to live vicariously through people who haven't seen this stuff yet. This is my personal list of top 100 80's horror films that I made for one of our challenges a while back. You'll notice that From Beyond is ranked #1.

https://letterboxd.com/basebf555/list/best-horror-of-the-80s/

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 21, 2021

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
It's the best one

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Embarrassingly enough, Jason X was my first Friday the 13th movie. I’ve seen the rest now and I like a bunch of them a lot but that being said, I still kinda love Space Jason. Can’t help myself.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The jason goes to hell opening isn’t that good...

I’ll have to rewatch the movie though. I got the replacement disc, but straight forgot about it lol

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

It's a Creepshow spinoff :colbert:

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Basebf555 posted:

It’s me I’m one of the “part 5 is my favourite” crowd, I also think Jason goes to hell gets a bad rap mostly due to the lack of actual Jason but it’s got some great kills and Creighton Duke is a great character.

I guess I like my Jason movies without Jason...

Nahhhhh just kidding it’s my favourite horror franchise and I love them all.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

It's a Creepshow spinoff :colbert:

Not according to the director at least.

https://screenrant.com/friday-the-13th-jason-voorhees-evil-dead-deadite/

quote:

"[Pamela Voorhees] makes a deal with the devil by reading from the Necronomicon to bring back her son. This is why Jason isn’t Jason. He’s Jason plus The Evil Dead, and now I can believe that he can go from a little boy that lives in a lake, to a full grown man in a couple of months, to Zombie Jason, to never being able to kill this guy. That, to me, is way more interesting as a mashup, and Raimi loved it!"

"It’s not like I could tell New Line my plan to include The Evil Dead, because they don’t own The Evil Dead. So it had to be an Easter egg, and I did focus on it…there’s a whole scene that includes the book, and I hoped people would get it and could figure out that’s what I’m up to. So yes, in my opinion, Jason Voorhees is a Deadite. He’s one of The Evil Dead."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The attempts at humor in that film really bring it down.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I think the only reason Goes to Hell is roundly rejected is because it's not a Jason movie, it's an Evil Dead movie.

It’s more like a bootleg The Hidden

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I'm ok with this and redeems some of Goes to Hell for me. Still better than the first like, hour and ten minutes of jason takes manhattan.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Really digging somebody doing first-watch writeups of the classics. Some of them are so ingrained that I can't really objectively critique them as effective movies anymore.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Basebf555 posted:

There's really just a ton of stuff from the 70's 80's and 90's that we'd love to expose you to, like I said we don't often get new blood to corrupt and it's fun to live vicariously through people who haven't seen this stuff yet. This is my personal list of top 100 80's horror films that I made for one of our challenges a while back. You'll notice that From Beyond is ranked #1.

https://letterboxd.com/basebf555/list/best-horror-of-the-80s/

Sweet list. I'm at 81. I can't believe I haven't seen Altered States.

And to join in with the Welcome Wagon, I'll recommend the They Shoot Zombies Don't They list as a great jumping off point. https://letterboxd.com/jhillman/list/they-shoot-zombies-dont-they-the-1000-greatest-5/ Start from the top and work your way down and you'll check off some of the most important horror boxes.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

watch Cemetery Man and Ravenous ASAP

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

MacheteZombie posted:

Part 8, It's the best one

I agree. Thank you MZ, very cool!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Altering the words of a Mod, I am referring you for a lengthy probation.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
me 15 minutes into The Dark and the Wicked: no no no nonononononono no nonono NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NONONO NO NO NO

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Altering the words of a Mod, I am referring you for a lengthy probation.

we all knew when Fran stepped down the mods would crack down with an iron fist might as well go down shouting the truth: PART 8 IS THE BEST FRIDAY

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
The Swashbuckling Adventures of Jason

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

finished Noroi: The Curse and Occult. loved 'em both, and the weird-out effects ending of Occult was something i enjoyed a lot.

is Shirome worth a go? who am i kidding, i'll watch it anyways

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

alf_pogs posted:

finished Noroi: The Curse and Occult. loved 'em both, and the weird-out effects ending of Occult was something i enjoyed a lot.

is Shirome worth a go? who am i kidding, i'll watch it anyways

The thing worth knowing about Shirome is that it's a tie-in with an idol band, who were not informed as to the nature of the project. They were punked, basically.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

The thing worth knowing about Shirome is that it's a tie-in with an idol band, who were not informed as to the nature of the project. They were punked, basically.

i knew it was a jpop mockumentary and was really down with that, but them not knowing what's happening is hilarious. now i'm really looking forward to it

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
Cult and A Record of Sweet Murder are also worth a watch.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

WeaponX posted:

Embarrassingly enough, Jason X was my first Friday the 13th movie. I’ve seen the rest now and I like a bunch of them a lot but that being said, I still kinda love Space Jason. Can’t help myself.

Mine too! It'll always have a special place in my heart and the cryo freezing kill rules

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Good haunted house movies -- are there any? It feels like there was a real glut of these in the 1980s after Amityville et al, but most of them were horrible crap, and then poo poo was driven into the ground when affordable CGI made bad effects easier than ever and people forgot that your imagination is almost always scarier than some crappy CGI render (I'm thinking of crap like the remake of House on Haunted Hill).

There have to be good haunted house movies out there, right?

Pulse is really good, I watched it on a lark and then was really surprised I had never heard of it. It's really solid, the script is good, the threat of evil electricity n a house is done super well, and all of the characters are reasonably smart people.

It's not as good as Kairo, but the world is big enough for two good horror movies called Pulse!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Most haunted house movies focus on the haunted part, but Pulse is like no a house can really gently caress you up

l33tfuzzbox
Apr 3, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

This was my first friday film. Saw it in theaters in 5th or so grade and had no idea what the gently caress was happening. So i have a huge soft spot for it.

Freddys dead was the same situation. The dream demons haunted my school journal and let to an odd parent teacher conference.

The wife and i recently binged thru the leperchaun series, well the ones in the walmart set, as well as phantasm, evil dead, and chucky.

She didnt like evil dead or phantasm. Sever.

l33tfuzzbox fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 22, 2021

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i wish i could go back and watch FROM BEYOND for the first time. it's just a rollicking good violent time, the performances are all exactly the right amount of ham, the effects are great. it's just super fun.

Stink Billyums posted:

thankyou! i will add them to the list. i really like how devoted Shiraishi seems to be to found footage, and both Noroi and Occult sort of pushed it into strange new places.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Stink Billyums posted:

Is Unearthed Films legit? They have A Record of Sweet Murder on bluray, and after watchin Occult, Noroi, and Cult I am more than willing to blind buy any Koji Shiraishi movie but looking at the Unearthed Films website makes me worry that they're shady or if I buy something from them I'll end up on a list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Gripweed posted:

Pulse is really good, I watched it on a lark and then was really surprised I had never heard of it. It's really solid, the script is good, the threat of evil electricity n a house is done super well, and all of the characters are reasonably smart people.

It's not as good as Kairo, but the world is big enough for two good horror movies called Pulse!

Is Pulse really a "haunting" movie though? The titular pulse is like an alien energy that shoots down from space into a transformer. I guess it behaves like a poltergeist or something, so I dunno.

I saw that movie a couple of times when I was a kid, it was on HBO or something? I couldn't have been more than like 8 or so and I can barely remember it, I just recall a few key scenes like the transistors melting and TV shooting out a beam from the screen, the shower scene, the big pane of glass that had nothing to even do with electricity. I thought the movie was pretty scary at the time, mostly because I was a little kid and I think part of me felt like the movie was "believable", like it could really happen.