Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

This week I decided to patch up some glaring holes in my horror movie backlog and finally watched not only Elm Street, but also Halloween and Friday the 13th for the first time.

Elm Street and Halloween were awesome. Halloween was just oozing with atmosphere, had an insane minimalist soundtrack, possibly the best killer in movie history (I love that the movie doesn't really try to motivate The Shape, or even really characterise him, making him feel insanely threatening and more like a force of nature than a human). Friday... Friday was OK at best to be honest.

When I saw Tom Savini's name in the credits I knew there'd be a lot of very good effects, and that part didn't disappoint. Gruesome movie. But overall kind of ... eh. Maybe it would've been more striking back in 1980 before a billion movies did the same idea, but then again that didn't diminish Halloween a whole lot.

Plus I'm genuinely a bit upset that they killed a real snake for their movie. gently caress you, Tom Savini.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Servoret posted:

The Nicole Kidman film? Is there a subtext to it that I missed when I watched it recently?

I'm still yet to see it, so I look forward to teasing out any subtext, but I think it's prominent on those lists because the director is gay.