Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Halloween Jack posted:

I saw Howling: New Moon Rising. I've only seen the original and this one. What the poo poo? Does anybody know how this got made? Almost everyone involved was a total nobody who never did anything else, so I'm not counting on it.

I’m pretty sure that one was filmed in some random town full of regular people and it was basically “We’re here shooting a movie, say this poo poo”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't know the story but somehow The Howling brand ended up in the hands of some rando dude named Clive Turner and he just made a string of really terrible DTV sequels that were barely even werewolf movies but he increasingly seemed to have more control and then he made the one you saw which like uses footage from all the others and just stars Clive in some weird rear end super vanity piece that just showed up at a bar and started shooting with randos he was hanging out with or something.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Tomorrow the 29 Needles blu ray is going out to Spatulater Bro! Anyone who would also like it sent to them for free is welcome to, the only requirement is you need to send it to the next person.

1. Kvlt!
2. Spatulator Bro!
etc.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Kvlt! posted:

Tomorrow the 29 Needles blu ray is going out to Spatulater Bro! Anyone who would also like it sent to them for free is welcome to, the only requirement is you need to send it to the next person.

1. Kvlt!
2. Spatulator Bro!
etc.

you can't fool me. I've see the ring movies, I know how this poo poo works!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

You pop in the bluray and Rob Zombie crawls out of your TV and we force you to watch Evil Bong with us

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

1. Kvlt!
2. Spatulator Bro!
etc.

I’m interested, count me in

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Tonight's theme: The Lodge, The Rental, The Retreat

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Phy posted:

Tonight's theme: The Lodge, The Rental, The Retreat

I felt like The Retreat kind of wanted to pull a Jacob's Ladder w/o the investment. The Lodge was cool in my book.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I loved The Lodge. The Rental was alright, haven't seen The Retreat

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

My goodness In The Earth is the Ben Wheatleyest movie Ben Wheatley's made so far. I think it's got elements of just about everything he's done up to this point. It's so good.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kvlt! posted:

No we had a miscarriage then she left me. Now I just work and watch horror movies and sleep.

I'm sorry for how difficult that must've been to go through for the both of you. You're always welcome in my little corner of the internet if you ever feel alone.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

flashy_mcflash posted:

My goodness In The Earth is the Ben Wheatleyest movie Ben Wheatley's made so far. I think it's got elements of just about everything he's done up to this point. It's so good.

What platform/where did you watch it? I am super eager to see it.

Edit: literally anywhere, for some reason my first search or two failed

AKZ fucked around with this message at 11:49 on May 9, 2021

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Sunday funday with :

American Werewolf in London, Beetlejuice , The Blob, Arachnophobia

None of the movies really match any kind of a theme but I thought it was a really good line up.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

gey muckle mowser posted:

I’m interested, count me in

PM'ed you.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Hollismason posted:

Sunday funday with :

American Werewolf in London, Beetlejuice , The Blob, Arachnophobia

None of the movies really match any kind of a theme but I thought it was a really good line up.

The theme is that they all own

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

watched The Empty Man last night and quite enjoyed it. good Lustmord soundtrack, a pretty steady hand on the camera and one creepy as hell skeleton

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

gey muckle mowser posted:

The theme is that they all own

I'm finishing the day with Army of Darkness.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

What's the general take on Sleepaway Camp? I watched it yesterday for the May marathon, and I've got complex feelings on it. The movie itself doesn't really even feel like a horror movie most of the time, it's just a summer camp movie where occasionally someone dies. The acting is amazingly bad and almost all the characters are just completely loving awful people.

But then we get to the sexual subtext. I'm gonna spoiler it from here on in, because could be someone else hasn't seen the movie either.

On one hand, I was kinda impressed by an 80s teen slasher where we don't see a single boob and in fact not a single female character is even really skimpily dressed at any point. Hell, we see a lot of male nudity and a bunch of pale white asses.

But at the same time... one of the first things in the movie is Artie, the nonce chef, who is leering and drooling at prepubescent girls, calling them "bald eagles" and saying there's no such thing as "too young", which... loving christ. And it's just laughed off by his fellow chefs. Oh that Artie, what a character! Of course he gets boiled half to death for his troubles, and for literally trying to RAPE ANGELA within the first 10 minutes of the movie.

The final reveal of the movie, that Angela is really Peter, is also done in a way that's mind-blowingly crass and tasteless. Just a nude Angela leering at the camera, waving her sweetheart's decapitated head with her dick out. But then, with that in mind, circling back to the earlier movie. It's kind of nice that Angela gets to have a fairly normal-seeming camp romance with a boy, and it's not played off in a gay panic / trans panic kind of sense, even though Angela is obviously scared to death of revealing her body to the boy, and ultimately ends up decapitating him for cheating on her with the girl who dies from having a hot curling iron shoved into her vagina.

And then the movie's depiction of gay people. We see young Angela and her sister tittering at the bedroom door as their dad has gay sex with the other guy from the movie's intro sequence.

So hell. I don't know. I honestly don't know if Sleepaway Camp is a 1 star turkey, or a 4 star unique trainwreck. I mean, I had fun watching it in a "what the gently caress is going on in this movie, WHAT IS THIS?!" kind of way so I'm leaning towards the latter, but then I've always enjoyed watching bafflingly bad movies so I dunno.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 09:08 on May 10, 2021

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

definitely a four star no holds barred train wreck. or maybe a boating accident

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

alf_pogs posted:

definitely a four star no holds barred train wreck. or maybe a boating accident

That boating accident... I honestly scared my cat by laughing so loud.

Also, this cop had a moustache. But then later he has a comically bad fake moustache. That's the kind of movie we made!

E: and I seriously can't figure out if Aunt Martha is doing a bit, or just legit so bad she makes Tommy Wiseau blush.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 09:35 on May 10, 2021

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

https://twitter.com/r0ckchick666/status/1387974443180298248?s=19

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If you’ve just seen Sleepaway Camp then I implore you to listen to the How Did This Get Made episode about it. They spend about 20 minutes arguing about the relationships between the characters and it’s incredible.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Sleepaway Camp 2 and 3 are very different in that they're much more like the comedic slashers of the late 80s. Bad, but corny and enjoyable.

Return to Sleepaway Camp is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I don't think there's one likable or sympathetic character in the entire thing, everyone is just a screaming rear end in a top hat.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

What's the general take on Sleepaway Camp? I watched it yesterday for the May marathon, and I've got complex feelings on it. The movie itself doesn't really even feel like a horror movie most of the time, it's just a summer camp movie where occasionally someone dies. The acting is amazingly bad and almost all the characters are just completely loving awful people.

But then we get to the sexual subtext. I'm gonna spoiler it from here on in, because could be someone else hasn't seen the movie either.

On one hand, I was kinda impressed by an 80s teen slasher where we don't see a single boob and in fact not a single female character is even really skimpily dressed at any point. Hell, we see a lot of male nudity and a bunch of pale white asses.

But at the same time... one of the first things in the movie is Artie, the nonce chef, who is leering and drooling at prepubescent girls, calling them "bald eagles" and saying there's no such thing as "too young", which... loving christ. And it's just laughed off by his fellow chefs. Oh that Artie, what a character! Of course he gets boiled half to death for his troubles, and for literally trying to RAPE ANGELA within the first 10 minutes of the movie.

The final reveal of the movie, that Angela is really Peter, is also done in a way that's mind-blowingly crass and tasteless. Just a nude Angela leering at the camera, waving her sweetheart's decapitated head with her dick out. But then, with that in mind, circling back to the earlier movie. It's kind of nice that Angela gets to have a fairly normal-seeming camp romance with a boy, and it's not played off in a gay panic / trans panic kind of sense, even though Angela is obviously scared to death of revealing her body to the boy, and ultimately ends up decapitating him for cheating on her with the girl who dies from having a hot curling iron shoved into her vagina.

And then the movie's depiction of gay people. We see young Angela and her sister tittering at the bedroom door as their dad has gay sex with the other guy from the movie's intro sequence.

So hell. I don't know. I honestly don't know if Sleepaway Camp is a 1 star turkey, or a 4 star unique trainwreck. I mean, I had fun watching it in a "what the gently caress is going on in this movie, WHAT IS THIS?!" kind of way so I'm leaning towards the latter, but then I've always enjoyed watching bafflingly bad movies so I dunno.

Here's my take, ymmv.

Starting with the boating accident, Angela and her brother Paul are partly chopped up while their father dies. Aunt Martha, since she's a doctor surgically combines them, going from the head bandaging flashback, I'm thinking Angela's brain in Paul's body. As far as the camp goes, I've never been to summer camp so I'm left to what the movies tell me about them. Camp Arawak looks like it's on the cheap end. I'd be surprised if there were background checks done, and a lot of people just keeping their heads down to keep getting a paycheck. I don't remember seeing anyone laughing like 'oh Artie, you keep being you', but more that forced laugh because if you don't, he's going to get in your fact to start poo poo. No one asides from the owner's really seeming shaken up beyond 'that's a nasty way to go' that Artie's dead, and the owner's thinking more about bad publicity.

The flashback of Angela and Paul snickering at their parents having private time's no different than small children getting the giggles when they see their parents showing affection.

The ending's Angela's having a full on breakdown, she's killed the boy she had feelings for. With what she's likely been dealing with before the movie, and everything we see in the movie, she's been pushed past her limits to where she's growling instead of articulating. It makes her both sympathetic and tragic.

I don't think the filmmakers put as much thought into this film as we all have. It's pretty nice that what was probably supposed to be a 80s cash in slasher's opened up loads of discussion.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

M_Sinistrari posted:

Here's my take, ymmv.

Starting with the boating accident, Angela and her brother Paul are partly chopped up while their father dies. Aunt Martha, since she's a doctor surgically combines them, going from the head bandaging flashback, I'm thinking Angela's brain in Paul's body.

...wait, what? Maybe I'm deeply misremembering the film, but I thought Angela died, and then Paul was raised as Angela. Where is this Frankenstein surgery thing coming from??

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

M_Sinistrari posted:

Here's my take, ymmv.

You're out of your loving mind.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

feedmyleg posted:

...wait, what? Maybe I'm deeply misremembering the film, but I thought Angela died, and then Paul was raised as Angela. Where is this Frankenstein surgery thing coming from??

Yeah that was my read too.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

In conclusion, Sleepaway Camp is a land of contrasts!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Those are some Olympics level mental gymnastics. That's almost an SMG level take... wow.

Also that Hasslehoff picture is the greatest thing I've seen in a while.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

if i die mount me on the giant hasselhoff and send me home to the briny deep

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Zwabu posted:

In conclusion, Sleepaway Camp is a land of contrasts!

It's a pretty standout film compared to what else was out at the time. We're all going to have different takes.

Though the comparison to SMG....ow...that actually hurts.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think it's just what happens when you watch a movie a whole bunch of times over a period of years. You start to come up with theories about it that you wouldn't from just watching it once or twice.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

that's how I discovered Rob Zombie is actually my long lost twin despite my being 33 years his junior

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
For some reason the last time I watched Sleepaway Camp, I didn't think I had seen Sleepaway Camp, but about 20 minutes in, I started remembering it, so I had in fact seen Sleepaway Camp previously.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Kvlt! posted:

that's how I discovered Rob Zombie is actually my long lost twin despite my being 33 years his junior

I assume you don't have access to a flux capacitor?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

I assume you don't have access to a flux capacitor?

I have a bunch of sprague atom capacitors I can drop into a tube amplifier of your choice for my bench fee but that's about the only capacitors I got!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, that's what happens. We see the dad floating face down in the water, and one children's life vest shredded by the propeller and one of the kids still alive.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

This loving cracks me up.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Sleep Away camp is a weird movie. First off its falls into the trope of "insane cross dresser" but with the difference being that its not really clear why Angela is killing people, was she driven insane being forced to live the opposite gender , was she driven insane by having "gay feelings'. Its really unclear in the film why Angela is going around murdering people. Tbe 2nd and 3rd films are totally tonally different than the first in the 2nd Angela claims her transgender identity going with confirmation surgery so what does that mean for the first film? Anyway I'm still unclear if Sleepaway Camp is a "good" LGBTQ film or a bad one, but I lean toward bad one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

the kills in Sleepaway Camp are lame af I've only seen it once but I remember being bored to tears.

I know its an important (or maybe problematic?) movie in the history of LGBT horror but as a slasher it...sucks.