Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

This is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Just watched JasonX for the first time in about fifteen years and it was loving awesome.

The parts that were played for laughs were perfect. The way the android wrecks him the first time around. The liquid nitrogen kill.

:discourse:

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
I work overnights from home, and spend most of my shift just chilling on my couch catching up on my long rear end list of flicks. Decided to watch The Lodge, which i've had in my Hulu queue for a bit now. I remember is getting some praise around these parts, and decided to go in cold (no pun intended)

My god this movie is bleak.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

CODChimera posted:

are there any movies similar to Pieces? like unintentional comedy, with next level poor character decision making. and just random nonsense. i'm not sure what you call a film like that

Edge of the Axe.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

King Vidiot posted:

Anybody who loved Pieces needs to watch Stage Fright, and the Demons movies. Are they as weird/bad? Maybe not but they're entertaining in similar ways

There are a bunch of films called Demons or something similar so I always get mixed up but the one where they're in a gym and have to fight off demons? that one is great

Got Stage Fright next to watch

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Basebf555 posted:

Seed of Chucky is a wild movie

And I just realised that it's also a hell of a pun. I don't know about the movie, but in real life Jen Tilly's boyfriend is Huck Seed.

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020

thatfuturekid posted:

I work overnights from home, and spend most of my shift just chilling on my couch catching up on my long rear end list of flicks. Decided to watch The Lodge, which i've had in my Hulu queue for a bit now. I remember is getting some praise around these parts, and decided to go in cold (no pun intended)

Agreed
I remember seeing it in theatres and it's just a very bitter, nihilistic movie

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Jedit posted:

And I just realised that it's also a hell of a pun. I don't know about the movie, but in real life Jen Tilly's boyfriend is Huck Seed.

Huck Seed sounds like an obscure Hee Haw cast member.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Sneed's Feed and Seed (Formerly Huck's)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I watched Censor last night, and it was really nice to see a modern movie that used colored lighting instead of just applying a filter in post.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

I watched Censor last night, and it was really nice to see a modern movie that used colored lighting instead of just applying a filter in post.

Yeah it's the first time someone said "influenced by Argento" and it actually meant that and succeeded.

More gel lights in movies!

thatfuturekid posted:

Yeah it rules. I went in blind. I thought it was more of a ghost movie. I thought it was an awesome gut-punch film. I also went into it way too high and got freaked out by the cult footage..

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm about 11 minutes into The Lodge and there's already been four sequences that make me think this is going to be way more emotionally manipulative than spooky.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

moths posted:

I'm about 11 minutes into The Lodge and there's already been four sequences that make me think this is going to be way more emotionally manipulative than spooky.

I'd say emotionally manipulative and stressful. From the get-go the entire premise is A Bad Idea from everything we know about the characters.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

If you don't want your emotions manipulated, you might need to look into a different genre of film.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I thought the Lodge was pretty limp but Riley Keough was quite good in it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I get what they mean though, The Lodge is definitely more about the tension of whether or not a traumatized person is going to be pushed over the edge emotionally to where they have a breakdown rather than some of the more traditional spooks like ghosts or monsters or knife wielding maniacs.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I get what they mean though, The Lodge is definitely more about the tension of whether or not a traumatized person is going to be pushed over the edge emotionally to where they have a breakdown rather than some of the more traditional spooks like ghosts or monsters or knife wielding maniacs.

It's very much an example of what I was saying the other day about "horror films explicitly about grief and trauma" feeling a bit played out right now

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Tarnop posted:

If you don't want your emotions manipulated, you might need to look into a different genre of film.

Ok I guess I'll go watch a horror film.

E: That's not quite fair, a lot of great horror has some elements that feel manipulative. But that's usually eclipsed by an overwhelming amount of fantastical, extreme, or horrific content.

So far this is just 4 traumatized people emotionally grinding each other's vulnerabilities. It'll probably pick up in act 2.

moths fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Dec 8, 2021

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Those directors are all about manipulation and weird tragedy. After watching Goodnight Mommy, it was super clear where The Lodge was headed. Didn't really care for either of them.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I thought Goodnight Mommy was okay but yeah The Lodge felt like they were just running on fumes.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I do need at least a bit of fun in my horror. Stuff like The Lodge always falls into that category of films that I can respect and appreciate but I'm probably never going to watch it again.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Unrelated but is there really no physical release planned for The Empty Man? What the gently caress?

Studios want horror movies to fail.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The Lodge is the most distinct role I've seen Keough in, and I thought she was great. I also thought the kids performances were good. I hadn't seen Goodnight Mommy (still haven't), so maybe that makes me have more room to enjoy the filmmakers schtick.

I remember the thread going on and on about how they watch The Thing in the movie and how much that ruined the film for them. "How DARE THEY show a BETTER MOVIE in their own movie?! Easily lost three stars just for reminding me a better movie exists." That was (and is) a very silly complaint.

It's good. I loved the setting. I like the game the film plays. I thought the ending was stressful and brutal. I was happy to see Hammer Horror films are back in a way I recognize and enjoyed more than The Woman In Black. It was good.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Keough is definitely a big reason to watch the movie, it's the central performance and if she didn't hit a home run the movie would've been totally flat.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I really liked Goodnight Mommy so I guess I better check out the Lodge

moths
Aug 25, 2004

So far The Thing cameo has bee one of the best used of a film-within-a-film! It immediately conjures paranoia and distrust, which only helps.

If I have one silly complaint, it's that these dummies are going to freeze to death because nobody noticed the gigantic fireplace in the living room. Or they might starve because nobody thought to follow the food-hider's footprints.

Maybe a ghost did it? I hope something weird is happening.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

moths posted:

Ok I guess I'll go watch a horror film.

E: That's not quite fair, a lot of great horror has some elements that feel manipulative. But that's usually eclipsed by an overwhelming amount of fantastical, extreme, or horrific content.

So far this is just 4 traumatized people emotionally grinding each other's vulnerabilities. It'll probably pick up in act 2.

Fantastical content is there to make you feel a sense of wonder. Horrific content is there to makes you feel horrified.

I guess I just don't understand "emotionally manipulative" as a criticism when the point of film is almost always to make you feel specific things, and horror in particular is rarely subtle about the emotions it's aiming for.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I would probably use the term emotionally "exhausting" rather than "manipulative" for something like The Lodge. Like, it gets credit for hitting those emotions hard but at the same time it's not exactly fun to have your emotions ground down constantly for 2 hours.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I like it, but I have chronic depression

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

The Lodge is the most distinct role I've seen Keough in, and I thought she was great. I also thought the kids performances were good. I hadn't seen Goodnight Mommy (still haven't), so maybe that makes me have more room to enjoy the filmmakers schtick.

I remember the thread going on and on about how they watch The Thing in the movie and how much that ruined the film for them. "How DARE THEY show a BETTER MOVIE in their own movie?! Easily lost three stars just for reminding me a better movie exists." That was (and is) a very silly complaint.

I was one of them and I stand by it. We need a moratorium on films/tv shows directly referencing The Thing especially if they're gonna be as clumsy about it as The Lodge.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tarnop posted:

Fantastical content is there to make you feel a sense of wonder. Horrific content is there to makes you feel horrified.

I guess I just don't understand "emotionally manipulative" as a criticism when the point of film is almost always to make you feel specific things, and horror in particular is rarely subtle about the emotions it's aiming for.

I think Forrest Gump is the perfect example of an "emotionally manipulative" film that does a lot to make you feel things, but feels hollow and cheap under any scrutiny.

Like, yes, all film and art is emotionally affecting, I think the term "manipulative" is pretty subjective but fair criticism. One film I keep coming back to as a film I HATE is that dumb Red Christmas movie, which uses it's autistic actor to make a tear-filled monologue to push the film's central pro-life agenda. It's just feels wrong to do that, probably because I find pro-life arguments to be hateful and needlessly cruel, and I think it's wrong to have a neurodivergent person deliver the writer's thesis. (Don't watch Red Christmas, even as a lark. It's terrible.)

Obviously we all have our lines as viewers as what feels genuine and what feels like a play to force us into an emotional box. I think The Lodge works, and Martyrs, and I think something like Peanut Butter Falcon works, because they justify the emotions they're making me feel, whereas Forrest Gump rings false to me. Horror is a harder genre to pull examples from, because dramas tend to be the most egregious with them.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Dec 8, 2021

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Ham-handedly stringing relatable tragedies together.

It's a pet peeve of mine when a film relies on real-world tragedy to borrow it's gravity. Like a romantic tragedy set against the backdrop of the Holocaust fishing for Oscars, or just lazily shoving rape into a film.

Anyway The Lodge opened with a salvo of grief triggers, and that was off-putting as gently caress. There was no context except what the audience brings to it, and that's generally bad writing. But The Lodge has absolutely picked up steam, and I'm glad I stuck thru.

I'm hoping that gaslighting the cult survivor has predictable consequences for the kids. I also wonder if they drove the mother's suicide for reasons.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Well that was a turnaround and I loved the ending. I was NOT expecting " evil children," and goddamn that was some comeuppance. Literally served cold. gently caress those kids. So good.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

moths posted:

Well that was a turnaround and I loved the ending. I was NOT expecting " evil children," and goddamn that was some comeuppance. Literally served cold. gently caress those kids. So good.

I'm happy to read that you enjoyed it!

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Has anyone here seen The Advent Calendar? I wanted to like it but I had a hard time getting through it, I thought it repeated too many beats and it started to feel like a slog. Took me three sittings to finish. Maybe I’ve just been too tired lately to deal with a trippy slow burn movie.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

moths posted:

Glad you liked it!

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
The lodge is funny in that way because it's like oh yeah the kids spend the whole movie getting over on her until they figure out they hosed with the wrong one lol. (the lodge spoilers)

RenegadeStyle1 fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Dec 8, 2021

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t know or care if Red Christmas is good BUT the doc on the making of it is very good, I recommend it because it shows all the stupid and horrible stresses making a low budget film pretty much on your own without some studio backing you.

I’ve watched it 3 times lmao.

I didn’t see Red Christmas because the movie looked kinda crappy.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Spoiler tag this poo poo, come on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

I don’t know or care if Red Christmas is good BUT the doc on the making of it is very good, I recommend it because it shows all the stupid and horrible stresses making a low budget film pretty much on your own without some studio backing you.

I’ve watched it 3 times lmao.

I didn’t see Red Christmas because the movie looked kinda crappy.

I don't label many movies like this, but I find it morally repugnant.